• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No

Jasmine

Quote from: The General on May 26, 2012, 06:45:28 PM
Aw, Christ, I never got to judge his art that he said he would post but didn't.  Hey, if it was good, I'd admit it.  But I would have been surprised.  I know a LOT of people that think they are artists.  The truth is, they just don't have anything better to do. Out of the scores of 'artists' I know, only one was actually really talented.  She was absolutely certifiably insane though.

Sad, but so true. Here in my neck of the woods there resides a small group of amazingly talented artists...painters, sculptors, writers, etc. Each is without question gifted, yet each is also afflicted with bipolar disorder. One woman in particular creates sculptures that are just breathtaking; I purchased three from her. She's highly intelligent and articulate, yet when the dark storm clouds enter her mind, she crashes and burns. So sad. I've long since ceased to be amazed at the co-relation that exists between artistic/literary gifted individuals and the dark night of their souls. To be granted the gift of remarkable artistic expression unfortunately comes with (in many cases) a heavy price and burden.

Noory and his perpetual habit of regaling the audience with his personal tales of danger, drama, heroism, etc. reminds me of the sheer frustration a pal of mine experiences - he teaches radio and television arts/journalism at a local college. He sent his class out into the field to produce "on-air news stories"...to report "live from the scene". Armed with cameras and cameramen/women and sound guys, these aspiring reporters and Ted Baxter news anchors sought out human interest stories. They filmed the interviews for evaluation and to be graded. The instructor was appalled that over half the students had the cameras focused on THEMSELVES for a large percentage of the "interview"...their filmed facial reactions (close-ups!) and personal opinions and comments overshadowed the person(s) the news item was supposedly about. Not to mention that over half of them (according to the instructor) couldn't even put two coherent sentences together. It's no wonder this guy tells me he craves a drink or two while he attempts to teach the course.

Noory's, Noory's everywhere...and not a drop to drink. 

Ben Shockley

Quote from: Jasmine on May 27, 2012, 08:02:38 AM
... these aspiring reporters and Ted Baxter news anchors ...

I'm guessing that Jasmine might have been watching Hallmark Channel's "Mary Tyler Moore Show" Saturday...
So was I.
I saw an episode where Walter Cronkite guested...  Ted Baxter's first question to Cronkite was "so what words do you have trouble pronouncing?"  Y'all watch it, there are other Noory parallels.

There are no coincidences

Madcow101

Quote from: ziznak on May 27, 2012, 03:44:02 AM
ah cmon??? everybody loves to hear about his lil youthful romps in St louey pa pa pa paleeeeeze!

Pleas no. Not that.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on May 26, 2012, 11:25:23 AM
i wish when someone is trolling the forum everyone would just shut the fuck up and ignore them rather than respond to and QUOTE every fucking thing they fucking say.  FUCKING FUCK!!!  all you do is create THREE OR FOUR TIMES as many posts for me to delete.  go fuck yourselves.

Are we in trouble, Dad?

Jasmine

Quote from: Ben Shockley on May 27, 2012, 08:18:36 AM
I'm guessing that Jasmine might have been watching Hallmark Channel's "Mary Tyler Moore Show" Saturday...
So was I.
I saw an episode where Walter Cronkite guested...  Ted Baxter's first question to Cronkite was "so what words do you have trouble pronouncing?"  Y'all watch it, there are other Noory parallels.

There are no coincidences

Well, what a coincidence! I recall the Cronkite episode well.  Actually, Mr. Shockley, I have the MTM Show on DVD. I'm a retro girl at heart when it comes to television; I rarely watch contemporary shows - that's just me. I adore "The Dick Van Dyke (no fish) Show". Also "All in the Family" and "M.A.S.H", to name but three. Indeed, Ted Baxter and Noory seem to be cut from the same journalistic cloth. Who could forget the Ted Baxter School of Broadcasting episode, I ask ya? George always claims that out of all his fellow journalism/broadcasting classmates back then, only he and two others made it in the field. God, if he was in the top three, imagine the collective caliber of his grad class!?  It's Alfred E. Neuman MADness!

Dare I mention this on the Noory Sucks forum, but I also love...yep..."The Twilight Zone" !! Don't flog me! 

ziznak

It's not the Twilight Zone's fault that Snore's likes to bring it up all the time... hell I think everybody loved that show.  The thing w ol Snore is that he CONSTANTLY brings it up like nobody has heard it before.  I used to watch MASH back in the day... not sure if i could sit through any old TV now though...

Jasmine

Quote from: BobGrau on May 26, 2012, 04:24:10 PM

I'm... green with envy...sorry.

Are you...patronizing me, Bob? Hmm? Cuz, if ya's are, you'll make me see red!

Jasmine

Quote from: ziznak on May 27, 2012, 12:25:01 PM
It's not the Twilight Zone's fault that Snore's likes to bring it up all the time... hell I think everybody loved that show.  The thing w ol Snore is that he CONSTANTLY brings it up like nobody has heard it before.  I used to watch MASH back in the day... not sure if i could sit through any old TV now though...

Billy Mumy...Billy Mumy...Billy Mumy...Billy Mumy. Noory is LOOPED!

Gassy Man

Sad, but so true. Here in my neck of the woods there resides a small group of amazingly talented artists...painters, sculptors, writers, etc. Each is without question gifted, yet each is also afflicted with bipolar disorder. One woman in particular creates sculptures that are just breathtaking; I purchased three from her. She's highly intelligent and articulate, yet when the dark storm clouds enter her mind, she crashes and burns. So sad. I've long since ceased to be amazed at the co-relation that exists between artistic/literary gifted individuals and the dark night of their souls. To be granted the gift of remarkable artistic expression unfortunately comes with (in many cases) a heavy price and burden.

Noory and his perpetual habit of regaling the audience with his personal tales of danger, drama, heroism, etc. reminds me of the sheer frustration a pal of mine experiences - he teaches radio and television arts/journalism at a local college. He sent his class out into the field to produce "on-air news stories"...to report "live from the scene". Armed with cameras and cameramen/women and sound guys, these aspiring reporters and Ted Baxter news anchors sought out human interest stories. They filmed the interviews for evaluation and to be graded. The instructor was appalled that over half the students had the cameras focused on THEMSELVES for a large percentage of the "interview"...their filmed facial reactions (close-ups!) and personal opinions and comments overshadowed the person(s) the news item was supposedly about. Not to mention that over half of them (according to the instructor) couldn't even put two coherent sentences together. It's no wonder this guy tells me he craves a drink or two while he attempts to teach the course.

I think I've dated some of these women; unfortunately, I like intelligent women, and a little madness often goes with that too.

McPhallus

You'd be surprised at the number of artists who are bi-polar: astounding creativity followed by periods of deep despair.  Virginia Woolf comes to mind.

DebbyS

I just read here that KSFO had dropped C2C, and I immediately wondered when, for I downloaded Linda Howe's 3 hours May 24-25.  I just now checked and I got 'em all, so the change over has been, what, this weekend? It indicates only Red Eye on their program schedule, so I deleted their url from my favorites.

I guess it's appropriate, Memorial Day to discover the death of C2C on another big station. We get Red Eye here, too, on two stations (one a 50,000watt). What little I've heard sounds quite sleep inducing, but not in a good way (I don't want to go to sleep with that on; might give me nightmares). C2C locally is broadcast on a low-power station that seems to mostly play bouncy Disney teen-oriented music and evening local sports (baseball, football games). I can also hear C2C, depending on atmospheric conditions, out of El Paso, Los Angeles and Denver, but all come in here only weakly.  As C2C has been having very few guests that interest me, I'm sure I can find the same information and more on line. I'm surprised they didn't dedicate, say, half an hour per show to the latest on Fukushima since it's the only extinction-level event we've got at the moment, but I guess their marketing department tells them what few listeners they have would rather hear the latest on Big Foot, magic numbers, and Atlantis theories. 

And now, if there were any doubt, we know exactly what Noory sucks...

Jasmine

Quote from: Gassy Man on May 27, 2012, 01:48:56 PM
I think I've dated some of these women; unfortunately, I like intelligent women, and a little madness often goes with that too.

...applicable to both sexes, of course. I once dated a musician with whom I engaged in the most profound discussions. Brilliant, brilliant guy. Unfortunately, he wasn't diligent where his meds were concerned. Without being facetious, every time he went off his rocker,(neglecting his meds) so did I in terms of dealing with it. Had I not broken up with him I would have been pulled into an abyss. Sad decision, yet a necessary one.

He would purposely go off his medication in order to be wholly creative (writing music and lyrics). Frightening, yet the results were remarkable. The same med mind-set applies to the sculptor in my area - she sculpts...no meds.

Quote from: McPhallus on May 27, 2012, 02:09:01 PM

You'd be surprised at the number of artists who are bi-polar: astounding creativity followed by periods of deep despair.  Virginia Woolf comes to mind.

The question with Virginia Woolf would be...when she was in a dark mood, who was afraid of her?
That wasn't meant to be disrespectful - I've often wondered if that title was in some way in reference to her affliction?

Vivien Leigh and Margot Kidder are two others that came to mind. Vivien and others in that era who were afflicted were dealt a raw deal - electric shock therapy - prior to advanced research on the disorder which lay in the future. Leigh - an exquisitely gorgeous and talented woman who descended into a living hell. As for Margot Kidder, I recall the incident years ago where she went off her meds, hit rock bottom, and was discovered in an L.A. backyard, filthy and incoherent. The media had a field day with Kidder, attacking and ridiculing her. I was both disgusted and furious as to how the press treated her. Hers is a prime example of how much ignorance remains out there re bipolar disorder. She's doing wonderfully well these days - I like her very much. Oh, and let's not forget the one and only Carrie Fisher. I LOVE Carrie and the way she confronts her affliction with humor sans pathos.

Me thinks there are untold numbers unknowingly afflicted with bipolar disorder (types one and two). My heart goes out to them all.

Sorry for the long post.

NOORY SUCKS!

Ben Shockley

Quote from: Jasmine on May 27, 2012, 03:37:53 PM
...Me thinks there are untold numbers unknowingly afflicted with bipolar disorder (types one and two). My heart goes out to them all.
Thanks for some sympathy.

dlawlis

I'm kind of worried about George's drinking. Look at this clip on Youtube:

George Noory Drunk - Worker In The Miller Light

It may be time for an intervention  :(

Morgus

Quote from: Jasmine on May 27, 2012, 03:37:53 PM
Vivien Leigh and Margot Kidder are two others that came to mind. Vivien and others in that era who were afflicted were dealt a raw deal - electric shock therapy - prior to advanced research on the disorder which lay in the future. Leigh - an exquisitely gorgeous and talented woman who descended into a living hell. As for Margot Kidder, I recall the incident years ago where she went off her meds, hit rock bottom, and was discovered in an L.A. backyard, filthy and incoherent. The media had a field day with Kidder, attacking and ridiculing her. I was both disgusted and furious as to how the press treated her. Hers is a prime example of how much ignorance remains out there re bipolar disorder. She's doing wonderfully well these days - I like her very much. Oh, and let's not forget the one and only Carrie Fisher. I LOVE Carrie and the way she confronts her affliction with humor sans pathos.

Me thinks there are untold numbers unknowingly afflicted with bipolar disorder (types one and two). My heart goes out to them all.
Wasn't 60's TV teenager Patty Duke also afflicted with bipolar disorder, and eventually controlled it with lithium?

preston

Quote from: dlawlis on May 27, 2012, 06:21:52 PM
I'm kind of worried about George's drinking. Look at this clip on Youtube:

George Noory Drunk - Worker In The Miller Light

It may be time for an intervention  :(
Oh how stupid, all that person did was slow down the recording of that clip.

rangers1919

Damn, I know they just slowed it down, but I think that drunk Noory video is funny.

"Commit suicide, ...whatever that means. Ha Ha Ha Ha."

The garbage bag part sounded good too.

Jasmine

Quote from: Morgus on May 27, 2012, 06:46:54 PM
Wasn't 60's TV teenager Patty Duke also afflicted with bipolar disorder, and eventually controlled it with lithium?

Yes, Patty was indeed diagnosed with bipolar disorder years ago, and has been on lithium and a couple of other meds for many years now. I read her autobiography - talk about out of control! - prior to her disorder being correctly identified.  She has been in control and in a good place for quite a while.

But perhaps Patty's problems began when she lived with her identical cousin, one Miss Cathy Lane, back in the early 60's. Cathy had lived most everywhere, from Zanzibar to Barclay Square. But Patty had only seen the sights a girl could have seen from Brooklyn Heights.

But, they were cousins, identical cousins all the way. One pair of matching bookends, yet different as night and day.  You see, where Cathy simply adored a minuet, the Ballet Russes, and crepe Suzette, Patty loved to rock and roll...a hot dog made her LOSE CONTROL. What a wild duet!

Still, they WERE cousins, identical cousins, and I think that you'll find that they laughed alike, the walked alike, and at times they even talked alike. 
So much so that you could lose your mind...when cousins, like Patty and Cathy...are two of a kind.

I'm going to burn in the fires of hell for that. I couldn't resist! Buddha bless Patty, and DAMN YOU, GEORGE NOORY!

McPhallus

There's a story about Hemingway that states he couldn't write after receiving EST.  he was so despondent about this that once, while boarding a flight, he tried to walk into the spinning propeller blades of the airplane.  Even worse is the story of Frances Farmer, who received a lobotomy due to her reckless behavior (apparently her parents forced her to have the procedure done).

Jasmine

Quote from: McPhallus on May 27, 2012, 07:59:37 PM

There's a story about Hemingway that states he couldn't write after receiving EST.  he was so despondent about this that once, while boarding a flight, he tried to walk into the spinning propeller blades of the airplane.  Even worse is the story of Frances Farmer, who received a lobotomy due to her reckless behavior (apparently her parents forced her to have the procedure done).

Oh yes, Hemingway. Poor man. I read Vivien Leigh's bios, and she too suffered horrific depressive episodes which involved extremely violent outbursts - unfortunately in public. Her depressive episodes would last for weeks on end, and literally in the blink of an eye she would emerge into a semi-balanced state, albeit the manic phases would set in shortly after. She was administered no drugs, but underwent electric shock therapy - this being in the days before the medical and psychiatric community finally identified her dilemma, for lack of a better word.

Frances Farmer. God almighty, what a tragic life. The early 80's film of her life, "Frances", with Jessica Lange portraying Frances blew me away. She was institutionalized several times by her abusive mother, and sadly never received the care and help she needed...this being the 30's and 40's. Yes, the poor woman was, as McPhallus stated, LOBOTOMIZED, as were countless others in that era.

Let me tell you that, still today, there exists many in the medical (neurology) and psych field who still attach so much stigma to this disorder. We're learning so much as time goes by, thank God. For one thing, it's known now that healthy DIET and proper sleep patterns can do WONDERS for a person afflicted with bipolar types One and Two. Foods rich in antiioxidants and Vitamin B12 can be attributed to a balancing of the brain's sodium levels. More and more physicians and neurologists are now realizing the co-relation between food intake and behaviour. This may seem odd and rather obvious to many - trust me, you'd be amazed at how "pharma conditioned" many are. Alcohol, white sugar, and salt intake MUST be eradicated for one afflicted with bipolar One and Two. Margot Kidder, for one, completely altered her diet while on low dosages of prescribed meds...and she states the positive changes occurred within two weeks of her scrapping most of her former diet.

Sorry for the hijacking of Noory, guys!!

aldousburbank

Quote from: Jasmine on May 27, 2012, 08:40:46 PM
Let me tell you that, still today, there exists many in the medical and psych field who still attach so much stigma to this disorder. We're learning so much as time goes by, thank God. For one thing, it's known now that healthy DIET and proper sleep patterns can do WONDERS for a person afflicted with bipolar types One and Two. Foods rich in antiioxidants and Vitamin B12 can be attributed to a balancing of the brain's sodium levels. More and more physicians are now realizing the co-relation between food intake and behaviour. Alcohol, white sugar, and salt intake MUST be eradicated for one afflicted with bipolar One and Two. Margot Kidder, for one, completely altered her diet while on low dosages of prescribed meds...and she states the positive changes occurred within two weeks of her scrapping most of her former diet.

Sorry for the hijacking of Noory, guys!!
Nice hijack though.  Agreed.  My personal affliction is wonderfully affected by a whole food, high fat diet, consistent sleep cycle, daily exercise, and in the best of cases, a cup of real coca tea to replace the morning cup of java.

Jasmine

Quote from: aldousburbank on May 27, 2012, 08:46:47 PM
Nice hijack though.  Agreed.  My personal affliction is wonderfully affected by a whole food, high fat diet, consistent sleep cycle, daily exercise, and in the best of cases, a cup of real coca tea to replace the morning cup of java.

GOOD STUFF! Keep it up! You're on the right track.  Also, thank you for mentioning exercise (plenty of it) and no caffeine...I omitted those. Also, PLEASE take Omega 3 supplements (if you're not already - good fats - they literally nourish and help to balance the lobes). If you haven't done so already, I recommend you implement spinach - excellent source of antioxidant power (as are all other dark green veggies) into your daily diet, plus one banana daily (more than one can raise potassium levels too high) and try to avoid starch if at all possible. No canned foods whatsoever - the sodium levels are toxic and can wreak havoc with BP types. Please avoid all artificial sweeteners - BIG NO NO! TOXIC and a bipolar's enemy.

Implement fresh fish into your diet, and try to cut down on or scrap red meat. Organic chicken is fine - twice per week. Tons of fresh fruit - NO fruit juices (exceedingly high sugar levels) Try and cut down on dairy intake, but organic whole UNSWEETENED yogurt is fine due to the great and highly beneficial bacteria cultures it contains. Add organic (if possible) blueberries to the organic yogurt. MANGOS!   

And for those who smoke...sorry, it's quitting time! Don't get me started on the chemicals in cigarettes and how they severely affect bipolar types One and Two. Hate to say this, but you can have the best diet going, yet if you smoke...ALL vitamins and nutrients are KILLED. Period.

Coca (unsweetened) tea is great. Also try Japanese Green Matcha tea. Matcha is ground green tea leaves in powder form; the result is one cup of Japanese Green Matcha is equal to ten cups of regular green tea - antioxidant-wise.  One cup per day is all that's needed.

Okay, I'll SHUT UP now!

NOORY SUCKS

Sardondi

Quote from: Jasmine on May 27, 2012, 07:48:34 PM...But, they were cousins, identical cousins all the way...

Heh. I sang it in my head. Although I fear that Suxlandia was full of people reading that and going, "Wha...?".

Quote from: McPhallus on May 27, 2012, 07:59:37 PM...Even worse is the story of Frances Farmer, who received a lobotomy due to her reckless behavior (apparently her parents forced her to have the procedure done).

Quote from: Jasmine on May 27, 2012, 08:40:46 PM...Frances Farmer. God almighty, what a tragic life. The early 80's film of her life, "Frances", with Jessica Lange portraying Frances blew me away...

I don't think I'm exceptionally sensitive to emotional pain, but I simply couldn't finish watching the Frances Farmer movie. Just as I've watched Sophie's Choice one time, and one time only. Both are just too damned painful to experience ever again.

Jasmine

Quote from: Sardondi on May 27, 2012, 09:30:29 PM
Heh. I sang it in my head. Although I fear that Suxlandia was full of people reading that and going, "Wha...?".

I don't think I'm exceptionally sensitive to emotional pain, but I simply couldn't finish watching the Frances Farmer movie. Just as I've watched Sophie's Choice one time, and one time only. Both are just too damned painful to experience ever again.

You know, Sardondi honey, as soon as I posted those Patty Duke Show lyrics, I KNEW those not familiar with them would think me an incoherent retard! LOL!

I have actually watched "Frances" twice. The second time I had my then and now long EX boyfriend watch it with me. He had pissed me off, and I told him it was a black comedy...the nimrod thought "black comedy" meant "African American"...hence the "EX" status.

someguy

somebody do a better job than this I never photoshop

ziznak

Quote from: Jasmine on May 27, 2012, 09:52:40 PM
the nimrod thought "black comedy" meant "African American"...hence the "EX" status.
hahah... So it wasn't a Tyler Perry film huh?  I was trying to explain why I can't watch his movies to a friend of mine and she just didn't get it.  Eventually she hit me with "so you can't watch Tyler Perry cause yer white?" I kinda said yes and then we got into the whole race thing. 

I'd be careful where you get your "Japanese" green tea from these day's though.  I would avoid anything from Japan if i could.

Jasmine

Quote from: ziznak on May 27, 2012, 10:38:39 PM
hahah... So it wasn't a Tyler Perry film huh?  I was trying to explain why I can't watch his movies to a friend of mine and she just didn't get it.  Eventually she hit me with "so you can't watch Tyler Perry cause yer white?" I kinda said yes and then we got into the whole race thing. 

I'd be careful where you get your "Japanese" green tea from these day's though.  I would avoid anything from Japan if i could.

The race card is one I refuse to play...the conversations are in many cases quite redundant.

"Matcha" is the process in which green tea is made - the leaves are ground into a fine powder. The Japanese initiated the process. Other countries use this process as well, but thanks for your wise observation and for mentioning that. I should have stated Green Matcha, period.

Then again, my Canadian cousins tell me a lot of debris from the Japan earthquake and tsunami has washed ashore in British Columbia...if the currents brought the debris across the Pacific, one hesitates to wonder what the prevailing winds have brought to the North American west coast...and subsequently further inland.

WOTR

Quote from: Jasmine on May 27, 2012, 08:40:46 PM
Yes, the poor woman was, as McPhallus stated, LOBOTOMIZED, as were countless others in that era.
I really can not resist bringing up Walter Freeman and the lobotomobile.  Here was a true freak who performed (reports vary) between 2500 and 3500 of those so called operations.  He was the first man to decide to hammer an icepick (like) instrument in behind the eye to scramble the patients brain.  You almost have to admire a man without surgical training who decides to perform brain surgery without anesthesia in a 10 minute operation.

I suppose that I should add a link if there is anybody out there who actually wants to listen to the NPR show or wants to read the article that accompanies it.  I do not know why the story about this freak of a physician actually disturbs me, but it does.  I suppose it is the idea that one man should be allowed to judge if my personality is worthy of this life or not.  Knowing that he could reduce you to needing to be toilet trained should he decide that you are too depressed, too despondent, too loud, too shy...  I have doubts my personality would be allowed to continue unchanged if left to the good doctor.  http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5014080

From a NPR article
a patient would be rendered unconscious by electroshock. Freeman would then take a sharp ice pick-like instrument, insert it above the patient's eyeball through the orbit of the eye, into the frontal lobes of the brain, moving the instrument back and forth. Then he would do the same thing on the other side of the face...  Freeman was a showman and liked to shock his audience of doctors and nurses by performing two-handed lobotomies: hammering ice picks into both eyes at once. In 1952, he performed 228 lobotomies in a two-week period...

Have I mentioned that Noory sucks?