• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No

ItsOver

Heh.  Jar Jar.  The Wesley Crusher of Star Wars.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ItsOver on January 31, 2020, 08:40:58 PM
Heh.  Jar Jar.  The Wesley Crusher of Star Wars.

I heard someone reading a BBC Pidgin article recently and that’s kinda what it sounded like to me.

albrecht

Just randomly caught a quick replay (my local AM is now replaying segments of splich-show.) Was awkward from bits I heard. He over talking her, quick go to callers, etc. Usual Norry want to end program quick n checking his Casio ditigal watch, I suspect. But this was not full listen so, maybe, she did better on her splitch-show segment?

FXX

Quote from: albrecht on January 31, 2020, 11:43:43 PM
Just randomly caught a quick replay (my local AM is now replaying segments of splich-show.) Was awkward from bits I heard. He over talking her, quick go to callers, etc. Usual Norry want to end program quick n checking his Casio ditigal watch, I suspect. But this was not full listen so, maybe, she did better on her splitch-show segment?
Anyone going to try to do open lines this fine Friday evening?

I only listened to 5 minutes last night, there was an old British gentleman on who's written a book about his experiences as a journalist covering the Beatles.  George Noory must have been the 'squarest' loser mamma's boy of his entire generation. The old British gentleman described a meeting between the Beatles and Elvis Presley who had requested a meet up with the Fab Four. George's response to the story was 'What about Liberace? Did they meet Liberace?' WHAT .... THE ... FUCK .....  it's the goddamn Beatles, the British Invasion, rock and roll, and Jorch is asking about Liberace a bizarre old fag classical pianist dressed up like a drag queen channeling Louis XIV whose fans were blue haired 70 year old ladies. He could have asked about the Rolling Stones, the Kinks, the Who but nope, he goes Liberace. Then followed up with a question or comment about Sammy fucking Davis Jr.  This topic should have been right in his wheelhouse as he was a teenager and young adult when the Beatles caused a cultural revolution across the globe but it was all lost on George who was spending Friday nights with Mom making Kraft caramel treats listening to Liberace and Sammy Davis Jr. His critical assessment of the Beatles as a band was classic inept limited intelligence Noory 'what was different about them, their songs had a really good beat.' 

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: CronkitesGhost on February 01, 2020, 09:57:40 AM
I only listened to 5 minutes last night, there was an old British gentleman on who's written a book about his experiences as a journalist covering the Beatles.  George Noory must have been the 'squarest' loser mamma's boy of his entire generation. The old British gentleman described a meeting between the Beatles and Elvis Presley who had requested a meet up with the Fab Four. George's response to the story was 'What about Liberace? Did they meet Liberace?' WHAT .... THE ... FUCK .....  it's the goddamn Beatles, the British Invasion, rock and roll, and Jorch is asking about Liberace a bizarre old fag classical pianist dressed up like a drag queen channeling Louis XIV whose fans were blue haired 70 year old ladies. He could have asked about the Rolling Stones, the Kinks, the Who but nope, he goes Liberace. Then followed up with a question or comment about Sammy fucking Davis Jr.  This topic should have been right in his wheelhouse as he was a teenager and young adult when the Beatles caused a cultural revolution across the globe but it was all lost on George who was spending Friday nights with Mom making Kraft caramel treats listening to Liberace and Sammy Davis Jr. His critical assessment of the Beatles as a band was classic inept limited intelligence Noory 'what was different about them, their songs had a really good beat.'

Me thinks maybe a secret Bellgab shoutout. He lurks here. ;)

ItsOver

Quote from: CronkitesGhost on February 01, 2020, 09:57:40 AM
...WHAT .... THE ... FUCK .....  it's the goddamn Beatles, the British Invasion, rock and roll, and Jorch is asking about Liberace a bizarre old fag classical pianist dressed up like a drag queen channeling Louis XIV whose fans were blue haired 70 year old ladies...
Hey, hey, now.  Remember where you're at.  Let's try not to insult our "host." ;)

Praise Lee.

Jojo

So many haters.  I'm starting to feel sorry for him. He was a good, Catholic boy, an oldest child and had a forked tongue.

But on a more serious note.  This "Feb" thing has got to go. 

1.  He can say Feb.
2.  He can say You.
3.  He can say Wary. 

4.  He can say Feb You.
5.  He can say You Wary.
6.  He can say Feb You Wary.

Or...

Or Feb Wary. 

Or Feb Be War-y.

Not a speech impediment.  A brain problem.   Subconscious desire to remain humble?  C'mon George be the smug one we know you are!

lol Liberace fascinated me as a little boy watching the world through TV talk shows. Liberace would regularly be on Mike Douglas and Merv Griffin's shows, Carson was in another league and too hip to have Liberace on. I don't even think I knew what a homosexual really was but I did know that Liberace was a huge fag and nobody was publicly addressing it. One of the greatest moments in cheesy 70s talkshow history was a Merv Griffin interview with Liberace. Now Merv was an in the closet but everybody knew it Hollywood homosexual himself. In classic Merv style at some point in the interview he gets real serious and leans in real close to Liberace who's dressed in a baby blue sequined and fur lined robe type thing and he says 'Lee ...... tell me why you've never married and had a family.' LOL Liberace replies 'oh Merv it's my career, it would be selfish of me, my life belongs to the music and my fans'

I will always say this and no doubt i'm biased as a 70s kid but 70s America was peak America, a sideshow of epic cheesiness that will never be replicated.

Now I think about it it may have been Mike Douglas who asked Liberace why he wasn't married or dating anybody.

aldousburbank

Along with the usual open liners (Annie from Alabama, Blair from Sedona, etc) our favorite millennial called in to discuss uhm, millennials. Riveting radio.

Dateline

Any Boomers. or Xer's or Zer's willing to call in and announce?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: aldousburbank on February 01, 2020, 10:41:08 AM
Along with the usual open liners (Annie from Alabama, Blair from Sedona, etc) our favorite millennial called in to discuss uhm, millennials. Riveting radio.

He just can’t seem to help himself. ::)

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 01, 2020, 11:13:48 AM
He just can’t seem to help himself. ::)

Hendrie used to do a character, Doug Danger, used as satire to ths phenomena of group, minority identity versus individuality. Before every commemt he would say "as a gay man," "as a gay journalist," and so on. Callers, even gay ones, would be frustrated and angered. Doug related how "homophobia" was rampant because he would get "strange looks" in every day life. Examples: "As a gay man I would like $10 of regular and a pack of Marlboro Lights" and convenience store clerk would give him an "odd look."

the Phil Hendrie Art Bell Coast parodies are pure comedy gold. i literally LOL every time I listen to them. The ABBA intro music as the announcer goes through the interminably long directions for callers 'If you're east of the Rockies call 1-777-3499, those west of the Rockies call 1-503-8210, if you're east of the Rockies and below the 42nd parallel call 1-262-6606, if you're west of the Rockies and voted for Jimmy Carter call 1-443-4422, if you're east of the Rockies and suffer from acid reflux call ................ ' and on and on.

ItsOver

I did get a chuckle when Jorch had to refer to the current month and, of course, said "Feb."  What a knucklehead.  ;D

FXX

What about the personal story that was shared by Mike on open lines you don't mention that which was the most important part of the call.

FXX

I actually don't care because a lot of people that like to comment negative stuff on here probably do not even listen to the entire call and just go off what other people say. For a group of critical thinkers that is said to be what bellgabs is it's a little disappointing.

K_Dubb

Quote from: FXX on February 01, 2020, 03:58:20 PM
I actually don't care because a lot of people that like to comment negative stuff on here probably do not even listen to the entire call and just go off what other people say. For a group of critical thinkers that is said to be what bellgabs is it's a little disappointing.

Well there you are up against an ambiguous word choice.  We are critical in the sense that the Second Coming would be widely panned here for overuse of CGI.

It's best thought of as a symposium of grumpy old men who cordially loathe each other (this time a deliberately ambiguous choice) like, say, a small-town barbershop.

aldousburbank

Quote from: FXX on February 01, 2020, 03:51:07 PM
What about the personal story that was shared by Mike on open lines you don't mention that which was the most important part of the call.

I honestly don’t remember the story but will be happy to read it here if you do.

ItsOver

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 01, 2020, 04:21:02 PM

...It's best thought of as a symposium of grumpy old men who cordially loathe each other (this time a deliberately ambiguous choice) like, say, a small-town barbershop.
Put on a damn shirt, you whippersnapper.  And get off my lawn!

Dateline

I heard this, I know I did, it was a call from a Boomer:

Well, Hello Norry, I am a Boomer. . 

Norry:  "Well is that like a Sonic Boomer?

Calller:  No, I am a Baby Boomer.  .

Norry:  Excitedly interjecting, "We have a Sonic in St. Louis, I go there for a Coney Dog after the show."  It is the only 24-hour Sonic in the state.

Caller:  I was born between 1950 and 1964,  that is why I am a Boomer.  Now the purpose of my call. . . .

Norry:  Is a Big Boomer like a Sonic Boomer? 

Caller:  My call is about big booms that we are hearing in the desert.

Norry:  And, Sonic also has good deserts. . .  Did  you know that we used to go  to Coney Island when the family would visit my aunt.  They would put a harness on me when we went on the boardwalk.  I did Ed Sullivan imitations for quarters. 

By now, the caller has given up, Click!

Norry: (As it goes into a commercial break playing "Bring In The Clowns")  He leads out with his Ed Sullivan imitations. ..

ItsOver

Quote from: Dateline on February 01, 2020, 05:17:28 PM
I heard this, I know I did, it was a call from a Boomer:

...He leads out with his Ed Sullivan imitations. ..
Ha!  That was an awful Ed Sullivan, Jorch.  Another eye-roller for Tommee.  Don't give up your night job, Jorch.

FXX

Quote from: aldousburbank on February 01, 2020, 04:39:17 PM
I honestly don’t remember the story but will be happy to read it here if you do.
Why dont you go listen to the open lines call from last night it might show you that Mike is not just this privileged know it all millenial.

K_Dubb

Quote from: ItsOver on February 01, 2020, 05:17:16 PM
Put on a damn shirt, you whippersnapper.  And get off my lawn!

I will not, fat boy.  Go eat your Hot Pocket.

aldousburbank

Quote from: FXX on February 01, 2020, 06:16:27 PM
Why dont you go listen to the open lines call from last night it might show you that Mike is not just this privileged know it all millenial.

I’m not a millennial so I don’t know how to find the audio.

ItsOver

Quote from: aldousburbank on February 01, 2020, 06:37:31 PM
I’m not a millennial so I don’t know how to find the audio.
Is it on those new-fangled "clicker" things?

Morgus

Quote from: FXX on February 01, 2020, 03:51:07 PM
Was that the caller that told of multiple times in his life he kept cutting off the tips of his fingertips, in a lawn mower, etc. ?
Noory just would comment that Barry from South Carolina always laughs at that story...

Morgus

That millennial 20-something caller suggested a "millennial only" caller line, but Noory then counter-suggested an entire night of only millennial open lines callers - somehow I think that would only result in a lot of dead air...

NoMoreNoory

Anyone catch Joorch referring to ‘Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Band Club’ last night? Only arguably the most iconic album title in the pop/rock canon. And only Joorch could be solidly relied upon to screw it up.
As also, when he and the guest were throwing out examples of great Fabs songs, Joorch offered up ‘Imagine’.