• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No

Morgus

Quote from: HorrorReporter on March 05, 2012, 07:53:14 AM
Maybe I'm a Debbie downer but I think the jury is sill out on the asteroid but will say that I'll rely on different sources than Noory to tell me where it hits .. Wonder how that contract negotiation went? 2012 or...18?
The asteroid story was up at Drudge Report website and Dr. Sky the astronomer confirmed it too.
Scheduled to come very close to earth (closer than many satellites orbiting) in Feb 2013. If the estimate is off by a few miles?

BobGrau

Quote from: oracle on March 05, 2012, 02:38:43 PM
Well, in fairness to hating Noory,
lol. the world's a complicated place sometimes, isn't it?

aldousburbank

Quote from: thefamilyghost on March 03, 2012, 08:55:09 PM
Personally if I were in prison and had to switch from hearing Art Bell to George Noory every night, I would be extremely unhappy.
I'd freakin' riot man.  Good I'm out now.

Sardondi

Well, in fairness to hating Noory, listening to shows with GOOD guests is even more cringeworthy than the typical self-help/paranormal fare, since Noory's terrible interviewing skills and intellectual deficiencies are always looming - always threatening to cut off the guest in the middle of a most interesting explanation; always ready to redirect the most fascinating forbidden topics with asinine questions....

There you've said it all. It simply hurts more to have a show with high potential turned into the usual offal by Noory. It's actually easier to listen to two idiots battling than to have Noory make wretched a truly wonderful guest.

...That said, I think some posters here fail to separate the genuine, intelligent guests who happen to be talking about non-mainstream topics with the self-help/paranormal/economic hucksters, preferring instead to put them all in the same category of unscientific woo-woo nonsense.

I don't think there are many folks saying all guests are uniformly worthless. But the problem is, there is no guest, no matter how excellent, no matter how intelligent, no matter how timely, no matter how fantastic, who can overcome The Simplification. No guest can defeat the negative of Noory, which I think would be expressed mathematically as "n-∞", or "n (Noory) to the negative infinity". The Simplification is the radio equivalent of the Cat In The Hat stain which befouled everything it touched and could not be cleaned up except by itself. So if Noory interviewed Bigfoot, the 'squatch would be heard to mutter as they hit the first break, "Just fucking kill me". Aliens would offer to turn over the secrets of the universe if they could please, please return to their planet. If Noory interviewed a black hole, it would implode in frustration as Noory bobbed happily along the rim, the turd which would not sink. Anti-matter would give up and turn into used-up silly putty before George even got to ask it about whether it thought aliens built the pyramids.

The bad of Simple George beats the good of everything else.

analog kid

Quote from: Sleepwalker on March 05, 2012, 03:21:11 PM
There are truly great guests from time to time, like Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson and Dr. Michio Kaku.  Sadly, more often than not we are treated to wing nuts like Alex Jones and other assorted carnival acts.

George's interviews with Dr Kaku was one of  the last straws for me. I know a lot of people are unfavorable towards Kaku, but those interviews that Art did are among my favorites. I can't listen to more than a minute of George interviewing him. It's just painful.

MV/Liberace!

just wanted to say again for those who are new around here... install dropbox.  it allows you to share files easily between multiple computers anywhere in the world.  if you sign up using this link, you'll get 250MB of free storage space and so will i.  you must actually install the application and sign in for us to get the storage credit.  thanks in advance.

oh, and yes, i know i posted this in another thread, and i know it's annoying when people do that.  sorry.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: analog kid on March 05, 2012, 06:50:10 PM
George's interviews with Dr Kaku was one of  the last straws for me. I know a lot of people are unfavorable towards Kaku, but those interviews that Art did are among my favorites. I can't listen to more than a minute of George interviewing him. It's just painful.
I've often wondered if Bell provided Kaku with his launch platform in entertainment.  I never heard of him before AB put him on. Now it seems he's on every science show. 

Sardondi

Quote from: VtaGeezer on March 05, 2012, 11:17:47 PM
I've often wondered if Bell provided Kaku with his launch platform in entertainment.  I never heard of him before AB put him on. Now it seems he's on every science show.

Kaku may have already had some radio appearances, maybe even a regular slot on a NYC niche market station (although that is by no means certain), but there is no doubt that Art gave him his first shot at a large audience; as well as giving him entree to a good-sized chunk of middle America. Kaku had his own wings but Art opened the cage door.

hosehead

Quote from: Sardondi on March 05, 2012, 05:49:39 PMThe bad of Simple George beats the good of everything else.

That is the conclusion.  We could close this thread with that statement.

As a public service, though, this thread is the definition of cathartic.

Seamus Capone

Quote from: Gassy Man on March 05, 2012, 01:50:04 AMHe [Gray] also claimed that twice as many women have college degrees as men (not even close).

Was he talking about men under thirty? It seems like there's a new trend to portray them as nutless losers who are inferior to young women in most ways. Other guests, like Sax and Sykes, talked about the supposedly tragic state of young men too. You know more about this than I do since you're in contact with large numbers of people in this age group. Is it as bad as the experts claim? I caught a few minutes of Gray's segment, and I heard him say that the average man of thirty has the same testosterone level as the average man of seventy. That's hard to believe. I almost expected to hear him say that women will dominate pro sports in ten years. 

Seamus Capone

Quote from: Sardondi on March 05, 2012, 05:49:39 PMThere you've said it all. It simply hurts more to have a show with high potential turned into the usual offal by Noory. It's actually easier to listen to two idiots battling than to have Noory make wretched a truly wonderful guest.

I don't think there are many folks saying all guests are uniformly worthless. But the problem is, there is no guest, no matter how excellent, no matter how intelligent, no matter how timely, no matter how fantastic, who can overcome The Simplification. No guest can defeat the negative of Noory. The bad of Simple George beats the good of everything else.

Truer words were never spoken. That's why I seldom listen to Coast. I once listened around Noory when the guest and/or subject appealed to me. I turned Noory's voice into Charlie Brown's teacher's voice (wahh-wahh) in order to enjoy the program. It became impossible to do that when he made it all about him and his life. I can't even recall the last time that I listened to a complete Noory-hosted show.

[Guest Voice] "I experienced something that changed my life when I lived in Cleveland when a strange man walked up to me and said...."

[Noory Voice (interrupting)] "You know, I used to eat at a great little diner in Cleveland."   

WOTR

Quote from: Seamus Capone on March 06, 2012, 02:34:20 AM
... I caught a few minutes of Gray's segment, and I heard him say that the average man of thirty has the same testosterone level as the average man of seventy. That's hard to believe. I almost expected to hear him say that women will dominate pro sports in ten years.
This will likely shock you... the first product on his "nutrition page" is what he claims is a testosterone booster, tongkat ali, for only $32.  Shockingly, he also sells the grape seed extract and vitamin C that he claimed will cure ADD (or was it depression?) for only $15 + $22.  You have to remember that the only reason to mention "cures" on Coast is to make a few $$ on your website.  It is very rare for a guest to mention a cure that he does not sell.

After hearing a part of that segment and thinking that the guy was a class "A" jackass I looked him up on wikipedia (I know- not the most trustworthy source, but quick.)  It appears that he He received a bachelors and masters degree in the Science and creative intelligence (likely) though through a non accredited university and then received his Ph.D. in 1982 from the defunct, non-accredited Columbia Pacific University.

In short, he seems to display all signs of being a true quack.  I wouldn't put much stock in what he says.

stevesh

Please, no more Lloyd Pye. When you have the DNA results from the 'starchild' skull, Junior, let us know. Until then, STFU.

El Kragen

Quote from: stevesh on March 06, 2012, 05:04:37 AM
Please, no more Lloyd Pye. When you have the DNA results from the 'starchild' skull, Junior, let us know. Until then, STFU.

lol I was thinking the same thing. Lloyd Pye...again!? I think the Star Child thing is interesting and definitely a C2C classic topic but there is never anything new about it. The "updates" are the same thing over and over again...we need money. 

Additionally Lloyd has been on C2C 17 times according to the site. All that time, all those interviews and George still knows almost nothing about the topic. As an example, I heard him say " Now the Star Child was named that because it was found with a human, right?" To which Lloyd replied "No, that's not why..." and proceeded to give an explanation about teeth and such. 

It seems the only thing Simple George is good at is providing nightly examples of his ineptitude and ignorance.

The REAL Star Child

Sardondi

Quote from: Seamus Capone on March 06, 2012, 02:50:02 AM... I turned Noory's voice into Charlie Brown's teacher's voice (wahh-wahh) in order to enjoy the program....

Absolutely brilliant! You may have singlehandedly saved C2C for untold thousands of tormented former listeners.

Quote from: Seamus Capone on March 06, 2012, 02:50:02 AM
...[Guest Voice] "I experienced something that changed my life when I lived in Cleveland when a strange man walked up to me and said...."

[Noory Voice (interrupting)] "You know, I used to eat at a great little diner in Cleveland."

Heh. An Alternative Noory-verse might be:

[Guest Voice] "I experienced something that changed my life when I lived in Cleveland...."

[Noory Voice (interrupting)] "One of my favorite towns! Have you ever been there? I remember when I...(ad nauseum)."

VtaGeezer

Quote from: El Kragen on March 06, 2012, 06:30:23 AM

lol I was thinking the same thing. Lloyd Pye...again!? I think the Star Child thing is interesting and definitely a C2C classic topic but there is never anything new about it. The "updates" are the same thing over and over again...we need money. 

Additionally Lloyd has been on C2C 17 times according to the site. All that time, all those interviews and George still knows almost nothing about the topic. As an example, I heard him say " Now the Star Child was named that because it was found with a human, right?" To which Lloyd replied "No, that's not why..." and proceeded to give an explanation about teeth and such. 

It seems the only thing Simple George is good at is providing nightly examples of his ineptitude and ignorance.
The problem (aside from GN's lame questions) is that talk show SOP says Noory has to go back over the tired old ground for the new listeners while regulars are rolling their eyes thinking  "Yeah George...we know all that crap...get on with it".  Part of C2C's problems may lie in retreading the same old stories we've been hearing since Hale-Bopp days.  Hoagland, or Quayle been on C2C regurgitating their same old crap year after year.  C2C desperately needs new guest blood; like Harrison last week

Quote from: VtaGeezer on March 06, 2012, 01:50:07 PM
The problem (aside from GN's lame questions) is that talk show SOP says Noory has to go back over the tired old ground for the new listeners while regulars are rolling their eyes...

That's part of it.  It shouldn't happen more than about twice per show though, a sentence or two to set up the interview and that's about it.

Unfortunately, since George is lazy, doesn't prepare, can't think on his feet, doesn't know much about anything, and could care less, he uses 'thuh new lissners' as an excuse to just re-read the same tired tattered index cards.  It's just another excuse for him to be lazy and boring.  He could have a guest on 20 times and seemingly ask the same old questions in the same order no matter what the guest came on to talk about.

It's maddening when broadcasting as a topic comes up and he starts in with his 3 (regional) Emmy's, and starts bragging bout knowing what would make a good show and what wouldn't.

... listening to shows with GOOD guests is even more cringeworthy than the typical self-help/paranormal fare, since Noory's terrible interviewing skills and intellectual deficiencies are always looming - always threatening to cut off the guest in the middle of a most interesting explanation; always ready to redirect the most fascinating forbidden topics with asinine questions...

This is exactly precisely correct.  It's excruciating to listen to.  It makes people want to smash their radios against the wall. We could end the thread there (but we won't, aslong as George exists someone needs to document the suckage).  This is why there are no shows worth listning to - the better they seem like they would be, the easier it is for George to ruin them.

BobGrau

Quote from: VtaGeezer on March 06, 2012, 01:50:07 PM
The problem (aside from GN's lame questions) is that talk show SOP says Noory has to go back over the tired old ground for the new listeners while regulars are rolling their eyes thinking  "Yeah George...we know all that crap...get on with it". 
Anyone remember some old lady Knapp was interviewing going "young man, I don't think you've read my book at all"?  ;D
Of course he had read it, he was just setting the scene for the listeners - but oh how I wish she'd said that to noory!

Seamus Capone

Quote from: Sardondi on March 06, 2012, 07:24:48 AM[Guest Voice] "I experienced something that changed my life when I lived in Cleveland...."

[Noory Voice (interrupting)] "One of my favorite towns! Have you ever been there? I remember when I...(ad nauseum)."

That perfectly illustrates why I'm not a regular listener anymore. I check in now and then, and my timing stinks. I randomly turned on my radio one night, just out of curiosity, and I heard, "there are no coincidences". I did it again about a week later, and I heard, "people are acting strange; there's somethin' goin' on".

We've heard that something's going on since Noory first hosted Coast. Could there be anything more general and nondescript than that? There's been "something going on" since the dawn of time. People have been "acting strange lately" since the Stone Age.

Seamus Capone

Quote from: WOTR on March 06, 2012, 03:03:00 AM
This will likely shock you... the first product on his "nutrition page" is what he claims is a testosterone booster, tongkat ali, for only $32.  Shockingly, he also sells the grape seed extract and vitamin C that he claimed will cure ADD (or was it depression?) for only $15 + $22.  You have to remember that the only reason to mention "cures" on Coast is to make a few $$ on your website.  It is very rare for a guest to mention a cure that he does not sell.

After hearing a part of that segment and thinking that the guy was a class "A" jackass I looked him up on wikipedia (I know- not the most trustworthy source, but quick.)  It appears that he He received a bachelors and masters degree in the Science and creative intelligence (likely) though through a non accredited university and then received his Ph.D. in 1982 from the defunct, non-accredited Columbia Pacific University.

In short, he seems to display all signs of being a true quack.  I wouldn't put much stock in what he says.

I'm very shocked, because his guests rarely have any books or tapes to sell when they come on the show. They also rarely push their appearances at expositions. It's all done to give free info to the people, info that could change their lives for the better. They do it out of the goodness of their own hearts, as we all know. ;-)

Look on the bright side. At least, Gray didn't tell cancer-stricken people to replace their traditional treatments of chemo and radiation with baking soda. Baking soda! That came from the same guest who condemned the Mayo Clinic, as well as "quacks" like Pasteur. 

Sardondi

Quote from: Seamus Capone on March 07, 2012, 12:00:13 AM...We've heard that something's going on since Noory first hosted Coast. Could there be anything more general and nondescript than that? There's been "something going on" since the dawn of time. People have been "acting strange lately" since the Stone Age.

Yes. Ditto. Amen. What he said. QFT.

Various members of our species all around the globe have said since we first began recorded our thoughts that "things are worse than they used to be". It's usually accompanied by the feeling of being in the "last days".

But here's a painful truth about that embarrassing tendency to inappropriately apply the specific to the general, and explain the universal by the infinitesimal: Art Bell was pretty bad about it himself. I know he's been saying since at least the mid-90's that "There's something definitely going on out there". He's been saying that we're experiencing "The Quickening" for close to 20 years.

*sigh*

Seamus Capone

Quote from: Sardondi on March 07, 2012, 01:51:16 AM
Yes. Ditto. Amen. What he said. QFT.

Various members of our species all around the globe have said since we first began recorded our thoughts that "things are worse than they used to be". It's usually accompanied by the feeling of being in the "last days".

But here's a painful truth about that embarrassing tendency to inappropriately apply the specific to the general, and explain the universal by the infinitesimal: Art Bell was pretty bad about it himself. I know he's been saying since at least the mid-90's that "There's something definitely going on out there". He's been saying that we're experiencing "The Quickening" for close to 20 years.

*sigh*

That's a very good point. Some people, in each generation, believed that they lived in the end times or last days. Like you said, Bell was susceptible to this kind of thinking too. At times, it's hard not to feel like the Apocalypse is just around the corner. That's especially true for people who hear too much doom and gloom on Coast. Of course, it's played up as much as possible, but it still depresses you if you hear too much of it. Noory is a constant downer, and it seems like he's disappointed when we avert some calamity. You can hear it in his voice. Tonight, he mentioned that we weren't harmed by some recent solar event, but he quickly said that there's still a chance that we could get hit by a solar flare that could impact the grid. His tone of voice seemed to go from depressed to hopeful rather than vice versa, which is what one would expect to hear from a normal person. He read a news story about dying children too, so he's back to his dead baby stories. My radio is back to the off position.

stevesh

Classic Simple George suckage last night. An hour with Robert Felix, the really boring "We're heading into another ice age" guy. Please, no more of this clown either, at least until the ice on Seattle is back to 4000 feet thick.

The main guest was Jeff Wise, an interesting guy who writes for several magazines about a variety of subjects. He was on to talk about his new book about fear, but the first hour (I assume it was at Noory's direction) was about the 2009 Air France plane crash. Despite the guest's best efforts, Simple George never did grasp the concept of aerodynamic stall and refused to understand that the plane didn't fall into the ocean nose down. He did ask a couple of times if the passengers knew if the plane was crashing, and how they must have felt. I'm amazed he didn't badger Wise about how many children were killed in the crash. Noory's ghoulish rubbernecking-from-a-distance is really starting to creep me out - I think he's getting worse.

My favorite moment of the interview - Wise was describing how a stunt pilot saved his plane (and himself) when a wing started to come off at 1000 feet:

Wise: "... because he was essentially a super-star athlete of flying, because he had learned the systems and the behavior of the aircraft so well, he knew it so deeply and intuitively he was able to, his x-system [the part of the brain that stores habitual learned behavior] essentially had become an expert, so in an instant, you know, you see this sort of thing with chess masters. They're able to just look at a board in an instant and know exactly what's going to hap-"

Simple George (interrupting): " Bobby Fischer - he was one of the best!"

I wonder if SG ever says to himself later anything like, "That was dumb."

Marc.Knight

C2C needs a "Johhny Fever" moment where the show's format suddenly has a radical change.  ... Noory in mid-slur at 3 am... sounds of scuffling and muffled arguing in the background... sounds of rattled coffee cups, cue cards, and a fat ass hitting the floor... then... after a brief moment of silence... a cigarette smoke hardened voice announces definitively: "Never say Never".

BobGrau

The difference between Art's brand of apocalypticism(?) and noory's, is that Art appeared to be genuinely interested.
Noory, on the other hand, seems to think it's a bullet point to be ticked off the cue card ever hour or so.

BobGrau

Quote from: High Strangeness on March 07, 2012, 07:40:45 AM
C2C needs a "Johhny Fever" moment where the show's format suddenly has a radical change.  ... Noory in mid-slur at 3 am... sounds of scuffling and muffled arguing in the background... sounds of rattled coffee cups, cue cards, and a fat ass hitting the floor... then... after a brief moment of silence... a cigarette smoke hardened voice announces definitively: "Never say Never".
Post Of The Day.
I'd like to add Tommy in the background breaking down in tears and sobbing "thank god... I've been living a lie"

Tara

Has anyone ever watched the reality show "Doomsday Preppers?"  Many of them (preppers) spend tens of thousands of dollars preparing for the apocalypse, be it economic or environmental breakdown.  They drill their entire family in defense, stock years of food.

I bet most of them are C2C fans, or rather Noory is tapping into the fears of this crowd.  They're all nuts but they're his people.  He should be proud. 

El Kragen

Quote from: stevesh on March 07, 2012, 07:15:51 AM

My favorite moment of the interview - Wise was describing how a stunt pilot saved his plane (and himself) when a wing started to come off at 1000 feet:

Wise: "... because he was essentially a super-star athlete of flying, because he had learned the systems and the behavior of the aircraft so well, he knew it so deeply and intuitively he was able to, his x-system [the part of the brain that stores habitual learned behavior] essentially had become an expert, so in an instant, you know, you see this sort of thing with chess masters. They're able to just look at a board in an instant and know exactly what's going to hap-"

Simple George (interrupting): " Bobby Fischer - he was one of the best!"

I wonder if SG ever says to himself later anything like, "That was dumb."

lolwut? Bobby Fischer as in the chess grandmaster? What's that got to do with anything?

The guest and his book sound interesting.  Too bad Ian didn't have him on. Sounds right up his alley. Ian would've actually read the book, prepared for the interview and we would've had a good discussion and maybe learned something.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: stevesh on March 07, 2012, 07:15:51 AM
Noory's ghoulish rubbernecking-from-a-distance is really starting to creep me out - I think he's getting worse.

I think you're right about this--he IS getting worse. 

It's kind of fascinating: for all his professed belief in a grand design, a maker of the universe, life after death, non-local consciousness, etc., the man seems increasingly terrified of death.  He regularly mentions how fast time is going by, regularly mentions his age, takes a gazillion supplements to "improve" his health, a focuses with ghoulish fascination on death stories. 

You'd think a true belief in God and life after death would bring him some kind of peace, not ever-increasing fear. 

Gassy Man

Quote from: Seamus Capone on March 06, 2012, 02:34:20 AM
Was he talking about men under thirty? It seems like there's a new trend to portray them as nutless losers who are inferior to young women in most ways. Other guests, like Sax and Sykes, talked about the supposedly tragic state of young men too. You know more about this than I do since you're in contact with large numbers of people in this age group. Is it as bad as the experts claim? I caught a few minutes of Gray's segment, and I heard him say that the average man of thirty has the same testosterone level as the average man of seventy. That's hard to believe. I almost expected to hear him say that women will dominate pro sports in ten years.
There are definitely more women than men but not a 2 to 1 ratio   Women have only recently as a group reached the same number as men having bachelor's degrees.  Different sources give different numbers, but the last I saw women were about 57% of the student population on average.