• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Join Our SETI@home team.

Started by MV/Liberace!, October 21, 2011, 01:45:57 PM

MV/Liberace!

Watup.  Do any of you remember the SETI At Home project?  It goes back many years.  When your computer is idle, it makes use of your CPU to analyze radio signals from space recorded at the Aricebo Observatory.  They are hoping to detect radio signals from extraterrestrials.  I've been running it for a week or so on my machines here at the office, and I created a CoastGab SETI team which you can join here:

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_display.php?teamid=143001

b_dubb

SETI at home is very cool.  if anyone ever thought that the search for extraterrestrial intelligence wouldn't produce anything useful then here's something that's very cool: distributed computing.  i love it

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: b_dubb on October 21, 2011, 06:55:00 PM
SETI at home is very cool.  if anyone ever thought that the search for extraterrestrial intelligence wouldn't produce anything useful then here's something that's very cool: distributed computing.  i love it

the software that runs the seti@home project can be used to participate in multiple other distributed computing projects... including the search for a cancer cure.

analog kid

Yikes. The Linux client brought my laptop to its knees.

Vatar

Quote from: analog kid on October 25, 2011, 07:18:13 PM

Blame the aliens if they would just show themselves we wouldn't have to analyze interstellar noise in the hope we can discern a repeatable pattern.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: analog kid on October 25, 2011, 07:18:13 PM

you need to make sure it's set to run only when the machine is idle.

Juan

Glad to find this - I did SETI@home several years ago.  I've downloaded it to an otherwise unused XP computer, so I'll run it 24/7.  Glad to find the team, but why aren't more of you clowns signed up?

After all, one of us might spot the space aliens, then we could be guests of sNoory. I plan to develop one word answers to all of his standard questions.

onan

Quote from: UFO Fill on July 10, 2012, 07:41:45 PM
Glad to find this - I did SETI@home several years ago.  I've downloaded it to an otherwise unused XP computer, so I'll run it 24/7.  Glad to find the team, but why aren't more of you clowns signed up?

After all, one of us might spot the space aliens, then we could be guests of sNoory. I plan to develop one word answers to all of his standard questions.

I had Seti at home on 2 mac's and one PC about 9-10 years ago. I looked to reset up a couple years ago but, if I remember, there was a charge to d/l the program... seemed a bit much to me to have to pay for the privilege to do them a favor.

Juan

There was no charge a couple of days ago when I downloaded.

ziznak

how much do they charge... and that's kinda messed if they do.

onan

Quote from: ziznak on July 11, 2012, 12:05:39 PM
how much do they charge... and that's kinda messed if they do.

I went to their site an hour or so ago. Seems it is free to download. My memory is that there was a donate to download option and nothing else. As hard as it is to believe I may be in error.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: onan on July 11, 2012, 01:15:49 PM
As hard as it is to believe I may be in error.

i don't believe it.

HAL 9000

Well, even though I've had friends suggest I loan SETI a few teraflops every now and then, I finally decided to walk the walk. I installed the software on my "beast," as the latest incarnation can use co-processing utilizing my GPU (nVidia GeForce) with CUDA as well as my CPU. CPU mildly overclocked to 4.4GHz + GPU co-processing.

I've only had it running for about an hour working with the Arecibo Observatory radio telescope in Puerto Rico.

Stunningly, I have made contact!

You can listen here:

http://soundcloud.com/digitalwizard/alien-mordac-to-snoory-message

Juan

Mordac needs a pop filter on his mic.  I guess they don't have embroidery hoops and panty hose on his planet.

BTW, I note that I am the only Coastgab member upholding the honor of the forum on SETI.  You weasels are lame.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: UFO Fill on July 15, 2012, 07:04:35 PM
Mordac needs a pop filter on his mic.  I guess they don't have embroidery hoops and panty hose on his planet.

BTW, I note that I am the only Coastgab member upholding the honor of the forum on SETI.  You weasels are lame.

i'm pretty sure i still have a couple machines in my office running the software on our team.  i think.

b_dubb

I've been running SETI at Home on my computers since it started back in 1998 or whenever.  If you're not familiar with the software, it's basically a screensaver that runs a series of tests against data gathered from SETI research projects.  This has allowed SETI to analyze a huge amount of data in a relatively short period of time.   

Is there any interest in forming a Team BellGab to parse SETI at home data?

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Juan

There's already a team coastgab.  I think I'm the only team member.

Foodlion

Add me to this list of SETI searchers. Going to start running BOINC tonite. I wasn't aware of these until now so thanks for the link. Very very cool stuff.

b_dubb

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=74371

To join Team CoastGab, go to http://setiathome.berkeley.edu and create an account. You'll be able to join Team CoastGab there.

Designx

Maybe someone needs to design a bitcoin/SETI client and market them as house heaters.

onan

I have my house heater set up for team bellgab. I will be talking with the aliens soon, I can feel it.

MV/Liberace!

i merged the two seti@home threads.

b_dubb

Merge with the older thread that I posted in before?  Uhhhh I'm a little embarrassed that I created a new thread for this.  Clearly I need to go back and watch the BellGab orientation video again.

Foodlion

Quote from: Designx on March 23, 2014, 12:38:25 AM
Maybe someone needs to design a bitcoin/SETI client and market them as house heaters.
Pick up a few Raspberry pi/BeagleBlacks and piggy back them in to bitcoin mine and Seti simultaneously. That would be a nice little setup.

Foodlion

Did MV go AWOL on us?
[attachimg=1]

pate

I dunno, I've been running as a loner for several years now.  I got lots of project points...  How does that work, will all my past work count towards the team or something?  The thing has changed a LOT since I started running it, and I really just install it on any 'fresh build' and let it do its thing...  I may even already be a member of my own team for all I know (a team of just me)...

Hmm, I think I should milk this a bit:  I seem to have 2,194,754 project points amassed over the years.  Perhaps I was to be 'made' unbannable or something I might consider it... 

Jackstar

Quote from: Foodlion on March 30, 2014, 12:08:45 PM
Pick up a few Raspberry pi/BeagleBlacks and piggy back them in to bitcoin mine and Seti simultaneously. That would be a nice little setup.

It needs to make reservations at Milliways! See you at the deli!