• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What's in an avatar?

Started by Flaxen Hegemony, October 02, 2011, 10:02:47 AM

b_dubb

Quote from: Agent : Orange on December 31, 2011, 12:56:19 PM
I know quite a few people that let their young kids mess around on facebook and youtube, and this has always made me nervous. You're right, it's not safe at all.

In general it seems like we are more willing and ready to naively accept new technology into our day to day lives, and I think we become quite reliant on new devices that seem to simplify our daily lives more quickly than ever before. While this is advantageous for some tasks, many of these technologies often complicate other areas of life in unforeseen ways.

For that matter, why do kids under 15 need ipods and ipads anyway?

parents these days seem like they're more concerned with being "friends" with their kids than being a parent.  they don't want to be seen as uncool so they just cave in to every demand. and that's why the USA has turned into a nation of weenies and whiners. 

any questions?

Avi

Quote from: b_dubb on December 31, 2011, 02:42:11 PM
parents these days seem like they're more concerned with being "friends" with their kids than being a parent.  they don't want to be seen as uncool so they just cave in to every demand.

This is very true (both yours and Agent Orange's posts). I do not allow my children cell phones or any unsupervised internet access. If your children do not think you are Satan, you are doing something wrong.

Anyway, back to the original subject thread: my avatar is now a Chagal painting. Before that, I was photo-shopped! I posted my photograph, from the program of Handel's Messiah, in which I sang the tenor part. They erased all of my wrinkles and lightened my skin tone. I was going to start a thread on the subject, but I couldn't bear looking at myself so falsely displayed.

Nicolai Gedda - Confort Ye My People . Ev´ry Valley Shall Be Exalted - Messiah G.F. Haendel

nbirnes

Quote from: Avi on January 01, 2012, 04:57:13 AM
This is very true (both yours and Agent Orange's posts). I do not allow my children cell phones or any unsupervised internet access. If your children do not think you are Satan, you are doing something wrong.

Anyway, back to the original subject thread: my avatar is now a Chagal painting. Before that, I was photo-shopped! I posted my photograph, from the program of Handel's Messiah, in which I sang the tenor part. They erased all of my wrinkles and lightened my skin tone. I was going to start a thread on the subject, but I couldn't bear looking at myself so falsely displayed.

Nicolai Gedda - Confort Ye My People . Ev´ry Valley Shall Be Exalted - Messiah G.F. Haendel

This is a very old thread that I just found because I was interested in people's avatars and the thinking that goes into them. So, I'm asking two things in this thread:

1. what's the story behind your avatar and username, and are you telling mostly the truth?

2. Can you believe this Avi? I have two versions of Messiah -- good vinyl and newer Apple store item. I love this piece so much ... I will have to see which one you're in.

So, now that this thread already exists, it would be so helpful to all the new folks coming in. Maybe MV will start the ball rolling?

And here is a gif to catch your attention so you'll read this post:

]

Centurion40

I was 40 years old when I started posting on the internet, 11 years ago.  It was on a war-gaming forum, so I took the name "Centurion" from my favourite old tank; but the name was already taken, so was Centurion1, 2, 3, etc.  So I jumped to 40.  I've kept the same name where ever I go.

I do post the truth (but I rarely post), although I do enjoy some cheeky humour... so I may take some liberties in an attempt to amuse.

Speaking of humour, that will explain my avatar.  It has no meaning, except that it struck me funny.

nbirnes

Quote from: Centurion40 on May 27, 2015, 12:33:00 PM
I was 40 years old when I started posting on the internet, 11 years ago.  It was on a war-gaming forum, so I took the name "Centurion" from my favourite old tank; but the name was already taken, so was Centurion1, 2, 3, etc.  So I jumped to 40.  I've kept the same name where ever I go.

I do post the truth (but I rarely post), although I do enjoy some cheeky humour... so I may take some liberties in an attempt to amuse.

Speaking of humour, that will explain my avatar.  It has no meaning, except that it struck me funny.

Thanks, Centurion40! Funny how 40 used to be the outer edge of the known universe. Have you made any long-time friends from the earlier forums?

As old pirate-types make their way here from old forums in anticipation of Art's return, I'm beginning to recognize old avatars and names. Brig used to be sayntbrigit, I think. No matter the spelling, I feared her back then.

So thanks for coming out from behind the 'tar. I pretty much don't have the courage or the emotional fortitude to use one.

Nick el Ass

My avtar is my best friend otherwise known as the enlightened one. He hangsout in my bedroom.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: Nick el Ass on May 27, 2015, 04:14:10 PM
My avtar is my best friend otherwise known as the enlightened one. He hangsout in my bedroom.

Scratch that. Now it is Ash J. Williams.

Avi

Quote from: nbirnes on May 22, 2015, 10:53:13 PM
This is a very old thread that I just found because I was interested in people's avatars and the thinking that goes into them. So, I'm asking two things in this thread:

1. what's the story behind your avatar and username, and are you telling mostly the truth?

2. Can you believe this Avi? I have two versions of Messiah -- good vinyl and newer Apple store item. I love this piece so much ... I will have to see which one you're in.

So, now that this thread already exists, it would be so helpful to all the new folks coming in. Maybe MV will start the ball rolling?

1. I always tell mostly the truth  ;D! But yes, this did happen as described. The producers of the event attacked me with a "Whiter Shade of Pale," so to speak, before they put our photos in the program.

2. My Messiah performance was a local production, not recorded for posterity. Indeed, I took the part as a dare, given to me by my students, that I could not perform convincingly in a role with which I profoundly disagreed. That said, I do think Handel really conveys the spirit of the voice in a way that his contemporary, Bach, could never attain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdNHvvQhHgk

I don't look like any of these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb3iPP-tHdA