• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

When did you first listen to C2C ?

Started by pabigfoot, August 30, 2011, 08:31:35 AM

pabigfoot

Local station WILK first ran Art on weekends, so I first got hooked in May 1997, listening with my 12 year old nephew outside a now defunct greasy spoon/truck stop in North Scranton where I would meet my sister after work for breakfast and watch the wildlife as they meandered into the 50s style restaurant. (Ha, maybe a fair demographic of those we hear on open lines today with GN)

I was standing a mid-watch on the front gate while in the Navy, on a base in San Diego area. While tuning the old GE radio`s AM tuner that was left in the guard shack, I ran across some interesting s*&%. It was Art Bell in Pharump, NV. The year was 1989. It was intoxicating, and I was hooked forever more.

Noory sucks

Morgus

I recall first hearing Art Bell around 1994 on a car radio late at night.
Soon after he offered free audio archives on recent shows on his website, that could even play with an old dial-up connection back then.
Couldn't catch all the five hour shows in the 90s live since they went until 5AM, so the online archive was good for listening the next day.

Eddie Coyle

Feb,1995 is when I first became aware of the show, but it wasn't on in Boston or New York City yet. So,I'd pick it up,with a lot of static, from stations in upstate New York,Michigan or Pennsylvania. Wasn't until a year later that Art was finally on in Boston full-time and WABC picked him up in New York in 1997, over Curtis Sliwa's objections.

Unfortunately, October 1998 was the beginning of the end,IMO.

BobGrau

early 2000s, my friend downloaded a david icke interview with noory. we were both big fans of jon ronson's book 'them' and the accompanying tv series 'secret rulers of the world'. (ronson's earlier series 'for the love of...' is also well worth watching if you can find it, by the way) we were interested to hear his take on 911.
this lead to me looking out for other noory stuff (back in the dial-up winmix days) and eventually, art bell. I actually prefered noory to bell at first, not sure why. He seemed a nicer person. Yeah, I know.
I continued grabbing files here and there when possible and it was only in the last 2-3 years that I started listening to coast in a linear fashion.
Even a year ago I still had a tolerant, somewhat ironic fondness for noory. I wish I could still feel like that, but the way art's latest departure was handled bothers me immensely - simply because of noory's bullshit about 'coast to coast family' and so on.
also at some point I read that noory's background is in PR. fuck that.

onan

I can't remember when I first listened to Art. My first recollections include his instructing his listeners to buy Art Bell stock on some fantasy stock market. I have no idea where that places the memory.

BobGrau

Quote from: BobGrau on August 31, 2011, 04:04:14 PM

also at some point I read that noory's background is in PR.

actually, I was pretty sure I'd read that on wiki, but it doesn't say that now. sorry george. I hate you, but that's no reason to accuse you of being in PR.

McPhallus

Just a couple of years ago for me.  I'd heard of the show from a friend and my dad over the years, but I've never really been a night person. I've always liked the subject matter, but it wasn't until I got a smartphone and a few of the radio apps that I realized I could listen to all sorts of talk radio without having to staying up until the wee hours of the morning.

That being said, I've not yet developed the undying hatred for George so common around here.

Harmness

Quote from: McPhallus on August 31, 2011, 09:53:17 PM
I've not yet developed the undying hatred for George so common around here.

Keep listening, it'll come.

I first listened to Art Bell back in 1998,
but I was in New Zealand with a 28k modem
so I couldn't connect or stream very well.
At that time I was building many UFO websites
including "Free UFO Videos", and all that kept me busy.

These days I collect Art Bell archives from the very first days of Coast to Coast AM and before that.

ItsOver

Quote from: onan on August 31, 2011, 04:33:27 PM
I can't remember when I first listened to Art. My first recollections include his instructing his listeners to buy Art Bell stock on some fantasy stock market. I have no idea where that places the memory.

I remember Art pushing the fantasy stock!  ;D  Good times, good times!  One of the first times I heard Art was with The Hoaxster.  Richard C. was hallucinating about crystal-like structures on the Moon.   It was hilarious to hear The Hoaxster babbling on about all the details in some photos and Art complaining he couldn't see much of anything.  ;D  Art is gone, meanwhile The Hoaxster continues the scam.  ::)

Insanity

I only recently started listening. Found some recordings of bell and decided that the old show's were better.

I first Heard about the show from my dad who used to listen to Art in the mid/late80's( when did coast start anyway?) when he was working 18 hours a day farming.

Juan

I think it was 1995.  I got home one night after producing a late newscast and he was suddenly on.   Then when I got tinnitus, I realized he was at least interesting to listen to while the noise kept me awake.

Pragmier

After one of Art's retirements, when he came back to host weekends. Not sure of that year but it's comparatively recent.

mainmanX

Christmas night, 1995.  An interview with the late Harry Browne, presumably a rerun.

jan78

I first heard of Art Bell during the Y2K scare, when someone said Gary North would be on, so i tuned in.  After that, I lost track of C2C until about 2004. At that time, I was losing loved ones one after another in a short space of time, and I became glued to C2C for comfort in the night.  I so looked forward to each show, whether it was Art or George or or Ian. It was all so fresh and new. I started recording the shows off the air and archiving them, as well as seeking out old shows, which 8 years later I'm still doing (well, the collecting anyway, not the recording).

keythsea

Here in Louisville -- Talk 790 (when it was a talk channel) and I had started working third shift at a tape library for a company that might rhyme with Schmoo Boss / Schmoo Schmield.  I turned it on just to see what was on, and Art was talking about the JKF Assassination.  Never looked back after that.

Balthasar

doing overnite office work in summer of '97

amythegreat

The first time that I listen to Art Bell was in July of 1996.

Zircon

Around 1990 when we lived in Bellevue, Washington.

It was the early 1990's on WLS in Chicago.  I was a graduate student and had to come in in the wee hours to get on particular types of equipment - mostly those also used for patient care - to run tests. 

JC Collins

Back circa 1997 i guess ( when i was still living in the great north woods of Kanada ).

Some real great memories of streaming Art late at night.

sampson2625

Early 2000's on a midnight shift in Toronto. Now i stream all the time and catch earlier art bell shows on u7.

Tinfoil Hat

From 1997 on. I was dating this girl who was a big fan of Art and radio in general.

Sardondi

It was during one of Art's in-out retirements, around 2000. I was recovering from a painful eye surgery and couldn't sleep. I hadn't searched the airwaves for late night radio listening in years so I was stunned to stumble on Art. When I heard that mellow, deep voice dealing with those bizarre subjects, but in a mature and intelligent fashion, neither childishly gullible or in stiff-necked refusal to accept anything outside of the canon, I was hooked. 

Cynnie

It was 1997 in charlotte nc and i worked night shift .. I was driving to work and i happened upon the show ..
By the time i got to work i was positive that some monster was in the back seat ..i was terrified !!

Ive been smitten ever since

I picked Art's show up sometime in the mid 90's before my kid went to school. I'd be up late reading and listening to the radio, and I found Art one night on a static-y out of state station down the dial. Then he came to NYC in '97, but my kid was in school by then so Art became a summer addiction.

Man, Curtis Sliwa did, as Eddie says, object to Art each and every morning when he started his show which is now long gone, Sliwa made a point of calling Art the Looney Kazooney from Parts Unknown.

Heather Wade

Well, back when the internet was a new thing, my friends visited me from Oregon.
With all the excitement of a kid at Christmas with a new bike to show off, I took them into my office to show them this 'internet'.  Netscape Navigator.  I know you remember it.

Ok, so my friend says, "You can write to anyone?  Could you write to the president?"
"Sure, let me see..." and I found the email to the white house.  My friend's eyes lit up.
"Ok, write this:  I hope you get impeached and are forced to kneel down and kiss Art Bell's ass!" he said.
"Alright, there it goes," I hit 'send'.
And wondered, as my friends blew up with joy that this message was now on it's way, who the hell is Art Bell?

So they stayed over for a couple of days, and mysteriously, there was no further talk of this guy, Art Bell.

After they left, I was doing the inevitable ocd treatment to return the house to normal, and found that it was going to take all day and all night.  I wanted company.  I turned on the radio, and began to search the dial.  Hmmm, nothing much on FM.  AM?  What is on AM?  Do people actually listen to it?  Let's check it out... ok... go ahead and laugh... I found LoveLine.  Ok, this will keep me company.  Cleaning and normalizing resumes, I get so much done that I finally take a load off at about 10 to 10PM.

I had no idea what I was in for.  No idea at all.

The Chase begins, and I hear this comforting, mellow voice say he's going to talk to a Catholic priest about real exorcisms, Fr. Malichi Martin.  "This is Coast to Coast AM... with Art Bell!"  What the... ?!?

So, it started out on an appropriately strange note.