• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Most hated radio commercials anyone?

Started by rolindos, August 22, 2011, 02:21:30 PM

yumyumtree

Thirty-10 Weight Loss for Life. Many of the hosts in the Seattle market are shilling for this now. John Curly is also shilling for Dr. Jerry Mixon's Longevity medical clinic. I have another thread on Mixon.

The embedded Lifelock commercials are getting a bit much too. Everybody knows that Lifelock doesn't actually prevent identity theft, nothing can, it just notifies you when something suspicious happens. I think Noory even does these.  It's funny to hear Mark Levin on a tirade about the Liberty Amendments or something and have to segue into a Lifelock story.

The Caspar mattress spots are also interesting.  Levin  makes it sound as if mattress salesmen are inherently creepy.  I've bought a mattress or two in my life and haven't found them to be so.  It's like buying a a dining table and chair set, a sewing machine or any other household item.  Get a grip.

I think this is specifically a TuneIn commercial, but there I am, switching stations, when all of a sudden an ad comes on with a woman yelling at the top of her lungs.  Turns out to be an ad for some horror movie, but man is it ever annoying to listen to that jarring voice, stupid TuneIn.

yumyumtree

Well, this is a doozy.

This morning on Glenn Beck a commercial for Squatty Potty was recommending it as a Mothers' Day gift. To make the cheese more binding, I think the narrator of the spot was Larry King.

Your kid gets you something like that for a mothers' day gift, you think maybe Medea had a point.

yumyumtree

Back on the subject of Caspar mattresses, I think some of these people are confusing real-life mattress-buying, which is usually pretty boring, with mattress buying as depicted in movies and TV shows.

In 9 1/2 Weeks, Mickey Rourke and Kim Basinger are horsing around in the mattress department of a dept. store, and the saleslady becomes concerned that they may do something inappropriate(just like the men in the buggy whip store where they purchase a whip)

In my favorite Monty Python episode, a pair of giddy newlyweds run into snags when they attempt to purchase a bed in a dept. store.  I consider this skit to be a classic commentary on dysfunctuional workplaces.

albrecht

It could be a result of the fragmentation of the media markets but I hate getting the SAME bad commercials over-and-over again. And it seems podcasts can be even worse than AM radio, which is bad enough. Sherry's Berries is really getting on my nerves these days. It is making me never want to eat another berry again, ever.

yumyumtree

George Noory says if you drive for Uber, he might get into your car.  That's not sweetening the deal.

ItsOver

Quote from: yumyumtree on June 07, 2015, 03:06:27 PM
George Noory says if you drive for Uber, he might get into your car.  That's not sweetening the deal.
Dave endorsing a taxi service?  Oh, yeah.  That really works.  ::)

yumyumtree

Quote from: ItsOver on June 07, 2015, 03:15:12 PM
Dave endorsing a taxi service?  Oh, yeah.  That really works.  ::)

Actually the spots are soliciting people to drive for Uber.  Lots of talk shows are doing them, but like Lifelock, Ancestry.com and others, they are each sort of personalizing them.  Leave it to George to say he might get into your car.

zeebo

"Every day millions of people suffer from good health ..."  friggin infomercial supplement ad.  Supposed to be cute & clever but total insult to people dealing with real problems.

yumyumtree

Quote from: zeebo on June 12, 2015, 11:28:35 PM
"Every day millions of people suffer from good health ..."  friggin infomercial supplement ad.  Supposed to be cute & clever but total insult to people dealing with real problems.

Oh my dog. These Texas Superfood spots are on EVERY show.

Juan Cena

The Jay Thomas show promos that air during C2C on Sirius/XM they're annoying as crap and just as unfunny.

HopHey

The Ashley Madison commercials and I just hate the stupid Paranormal dating website that C2C talks about all night long.

ItsOver

Quote from: Autistic Star Children on June 16, 2015, 02:51:12 PM
Joan Lunden - A place for Mom.
It's on TV a lot.  Not nearly as many times as those blasted Liberty Mutual commercials.  I'm sure I'm developing a subliminal hatred for the Statue of Liberty.

Robert

Not hated, but one of the worst radio ads I've ever heard is one that airs frequently here in NYC for, & by, a hypnotherapist, Errol Gluck.  He says he's open "between the hours of [whatever] [pause] through [his emphasis] [whatever]", emphasizing his grammatic error of "between...through" instead of "between...and" or "from...through".

He says hypnosis has changed "from an entertainment venue to" whatever; what did he think "venue" means?  Modality, maybe?  It's not as if his office had been a theater!

He says, "Whether you have a weight problem, addiction problem, fears or phobias, I can handle it."  I had to listen many times to realize he was saying, "addiction problem" rather than "a diction problem", thinking maybe he was a speech therapist too.  To be grammatically parallel, he should've said, "an addiction problem".  Why "fears or phobias"?  If it's not redundant, then he's saying normal fears are as much a problem as phobias are.  Meanwhile "I can handle it" sounds like an arrogant claim of efficacy.

It's been running for years as an example of why you should pay a pro to do your advertising.  But then, I do remember it, so maybe it worked.

zeebo

Hi coast to coast listeners ... I'm a big fan of george noory because his topics are fascinating ... my fave supplement is beyond tangy tangerine ..."  Just, no.

yumyumtree

This one is Seattle centric, and I don't remember the product, the 72 year old lady is bragging about scrubbing her kitchen floor and riding her horse.  Enough.

yumyumtree

Quote from: zeebo on June 23, 2015, 11:50:02 PM
Hi coast to coast listeners ... I'm a big fan of george noory because his topics are fascinating ... my fave supplement is beyond tangy tangerine ..."  Just, no.

Anything to do with Critical Health News is trash, IMO.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: yumyumtree on June 27, 2015, 02:42:21 PM
the 72 year old lady is bragging about scrubbing her kitchen floor and riding her horse.

That's pure erotica. It's boner time.

"Barbara, you up?  Baaaarbara, you up?"

"I'm up now."

(loading pistol)

zeebo

Starts with annoying singing: "What's your favorite color? What's your favorite color? ..."

Then responses from kids:  "I like orange!" "I like green!"

Turns out it's a PSA to get your kids to brush their teeth.  I hate this one more than the one to get kids to eat veggies where the one kid says "I like crunchy food!"

Robert

Quote from: zeebo on July 02, 2015, 11:05:56 PMStarts with annoying singing: "What's your favorite color? What's your favorite color? ..."

Then responses from kids:  "I like orange!" "I like green!"

Turns out it's a PSA to get your kids to brush their teeth.
I actually like that one.  It's deliberately annoying, of course.

zeebo

Quote from: Robert on July 03, 2015, 10:17:34 PM
I actually like that one.  It's deliberately annoying, of course.

Haha ok fair enough.  Reminds me of an ad from years ago, where this guy - I forget now what he was selling - but he'd say at end: "It's the biggest no-brainer in the history of mankind."   And it was so silly that I'd always laugh and actually came to love that one.

yumyumtree

Quote from: zeebo on July 04, 2015, 11:15:41 PM
Haha ok fair enough.  Reminds me of an ad from years ago, where this guy - I forget now what he was selling - but he'd say at end: "It's the biggest no-brainer in the history of mankind."   And it was so silly that I'd always laugh and actually came to love that one.

I think that was John Juge(sp?) Wasn't it gold or investments or something?  You must be in the Puget Sound, well the Puget Sound AREA, not actually in the sound.  It's wet in there.

It's actually a TV commercial I hate now, the one with John McEnroe announcing a tennis match featuring an animated foot with toenail fungus:  "Unbelievable!  Toenail fungus?  Seriously?". Is he bothered that the tennis playing foot has fungus, or is it that said foot is playing well?  It is just plain old stupid....

Eddie Coyle

That whiny punk kid who is no good at math, so much that he "HATES MATH!!"

Dos Equis "Most Interesting Man" commercials are the least interesting and least entertaining.

pate

The squat-n-poop commercials are annoying and creepy, and a little funny in that toilet humor way.  Still.

Although this isn't a radio commercial for the thing, I am Not Sure if it is a parody or actual advertisement from the company, but if you dare to watch it in it's entirety I think it has the annoy, creep & toilet humor factors all dialed in.  The ending is particularly horrorific.  Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbYWhdLO43Q

Just wow.

Up All Night

In general, I dislike any commercials where music is played over someone talking. I know any commercial might lead in or lead out with music. But, I do not care for talking with some shitty fucking music playing behind it. Whomever though of this is the Devil!!

Rix Gins

Any commercial put out by the Ad Council.  You hear them all the time as filler when there aren't enough legit, cash paying commercials to be played.  They are so syrupy sweet that I feel like I'm going to get sugar diabetes just by listening to them.

Robert

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 26, 2017, 11:49:52 PMAny commercial put out by the Ad Council.  You hear them all the time as filler when there aren't enough legit, cash paying commercials to be played.  They are so syrupy sweet that I feel like I'm going to get sugar diabetes just by listening to them.
In general, yes, but they also had that great one about opening the ketchup bottle.  (Co-sponsored?  Co-produced?  Or Ad Council alone?)

PSAs (not necessarily from the Ad Council, which formed to sell US involvement in World War 2) include some of the most awful and some of the best.  The awful include spots that count as PSAs only because of being run by a not-for-profit; I'm thinking now of the Lung Ass'n ad that's so ridiculous when you realize all it's doing is touting their success & continued effort on behalf of coercive anti-tobacco (not even necessarily anti-smoking) efforts -- why don't they publicize the actual scientific research they've funded?  Great is one I hope won a Cleo: the Credit Fairy phone call, by the banking interests.