• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Open Lines

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:12:33 PM

To screen or not to screen? that is the question.

yes
3 (12%)
no
21 (84%)
maybe
3 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 25

texaskdog

Would be great if Snoory took an hour of open lines from coastgab members.  That would be great radio!

anagrammy

Agreed, Onan.  When we listen to Open Lines on Coast, we want to hear what crazy shit is going on out there.  We like to hear crackpots treated respectfully while being asked incisive questions like, "Why didn't you assume the thumps on the roof were pinecones?  Why made you think it was Mothman walking?"  That way the listeners can evaluate the believability of the report.  And if they keep going to where they have cornered the alien in the dining room and whacked it with a candlestick provided by Mr. Mustard, all the better!

I don't like to see the mentally ill being confronted in a demeaning way.  It takes the fun out of it and makes a person a bully, like Howard Stern.

Anagrammy

Fearlessjay

I always give the open lines a miss, wasn't the case with Art, and to be honest I was really surprised how good's Ian's was last friday. Only listened to that show because of Brian Cox, a lad I really respect and totally disagree with. I really do wonder if George's open lines are really representive of the modern c2c audience, really depressing if that's the case. Not even a JC to lighten things  up. I  don't think George likes them either, Fridays really seems to be the half arsed show of the week.

I couldn't handle that video/audio with Poonit. And what makes it even sadder..the callers were screened and placed. What does that tell us?

Frys Girl

I agree with the author of this thread.

I can't count how many times some person calls and claims to have evidence of paranormal/alien phenomena and George says "email it to George@coasttocoastam.com and just to make sure it gets through, send it to lex@coasttocoastam.com." LMAO I'm sure George does NOT check his email nor does he know how to open an attachment.

Last week, a man called in claiming to have evidence that the moon craters are not craters. He said "George don't believe me. Judge for yourself by the high quality images I have for you. See the proof." It was a cool call, and of course, NOTHING came of it. This show is really Coast to TOAST AM! At least tell us George: did you hear from him? NO update? Try to earn your paycheck for once.

GSD

Quote from: Frys Girl on August 18, 2011, 07:48:30 PM
I agree with the author of this thread.

I can't count how many times some person calls and claims to have evidence of paranormal/alien phenomena and George says "email it to George@coasttocoastam.com and just to make sure it gets through, send it to lex@coasttocoastam.com." LMAO I'm sure George does NOT check his email nor does he know how to open an attachment.

Last week, a man called in claiming to have evidence that the moon craters are not craters. He said "George don't believe me. Judge for yourself by the high quality images I have for you. See the proof." It was a cool call, and of course, NOTHING came of it. This show is really Coast to TOAST AM! At least tell us George: did you hear from him? NO update? Try to earn your paycheck for once.

Snoory's open lines are ridiculous. Art Bell made it awesome entirely out of his understanding that it's all ENTERTAINMENT. I use to love how he would go, "Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, wow!" and other great dramatic responses. Really funny crap. It could be the dullest, lamest shit, and listening to his responses kept you glued out of dramatic effect. He would hear a pop on the line and know it was technical in origin and attribute it to entities or other non-sense. Oh AB was GREAT. Now you have a bore who has no personality and is completely clueless. He doesn't understand he's supposed to be an entertainer.

kf5iwe

I am punished here in south Louisiana. GN on the air and Les Miles coaching the tigers. Sometimes I think Les has taken over C2C ::)

kf5iwe

Ever watch playcalling by Les Miles? Same incoherent bumbling by Noory. Come to think about it, Noory is never on Saturdays and takes fridays off when the Tigers play an away game. Hey wait a minute....

rangers1919

Quote from: GSD on August 20, 2011, 01:57:23 AM
Snoory's open lines are ridiculous. Art Bell made it awesome entirely out of his understanding that it's all ENTERTAINMENT. I use to love how he would go, "Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, wow!" and other great dramatic responses. Really funny crap. It could be the dullest, lamest shit, and listening to his responses kept you glued out of dramatic effect. He would hear a pop on the line and know it was technical in origin and attribute it to entities or other non-sense. Oh AB was GREAT. Now you have a bore who has no personality and is completely clueless. He doesn't understand he's supposed to be an entertainer.

Noory actually thinks the noises are government or illuminati people listening. I guess he doesn't realize they could just listen on the radio.

GSD

Quote from: rangers1919 on August 23, 2011, 11:56:23 PM
Noory actually thinks the noises are government or illuminati people listening. I guess he doesn't realize they could just listen on the radio.

I'm sure Noory sees his own shadow and thinks "Shadow People" are watching me! He's such a tool. I really hope they can him in favor of someone with some personality. He has a good radio voice in my opinion, but his brain is another thing.

JJNDCA

I also loved the crazies that got through. The witches, the demons, the UFO fanatics... they were interesting people to hear from. The news media likes to dilute everything down to one side or the other. We very rarely get to hear an "outside" opinion any more. It may seem crazy but there are a few crazy things that have been said that have come true in the past.

punkinpie

I have an open lines stab in the dark for you guys.  Does anyone remember a call where a woman said that she was driving near Fermilab and wound up in some kind of warp?  I can't remember the details, but I'd love to hear what she had to say now.  I just moved directly across the street from Fermilab. 

fabucat

I actually *like* open lines, even from the Snooron.  Didja hear that moron who called in and said that Obama was treasonous for accepting the Nobel Peace Prize because it is given out by a foreign country?  For this reason, the dumbfuck wanted to use this as an excuse not to pay his taxes.  Bwahahahahahahahahahah.

Fuck!  I guess that all other Nobel laureates such as MLK Jr.,  Krugman, Milton Friedman, Linus Pauling, etc. were treasonous too for accepting the prize.  That goes double for Pauling since he got the award twice. 

tweet75

if george did not screen his calls and did unscreened open lines like art used to do it would liven the show up what do you think?

McPhallus

Quote from: tweet75 on December 15, 2012, 08:58:22 PM
if george did not screen his calls and did unscreened open lines like art used to do it would liven the show up what do you think?

Yes, but only because George couldn't handle the callers.

ItsOver

Only if Jorch kept his idiot mouth shut and just amused himself with his computer and a bag of Cheetos.

popple

It would be more interesting because people who want to SOUND OFF on George would get through, and then we have to listen to him squirm.

BTW did anyone catch that part of the show last night where George read a e-mail from a listener who was an Art fan but said George won him over? Bahahaha!

popple

Quote from: popple on December 15, 2012, 09:06:24 PM
... BTW did anyone catch that part of the show last night where George read a e-mail from a listener who was an Art fan but said George won him over? Bahahaha!

Was it signed 'Tommy'?

popple

I cannot remember the name but I can remember it wasn't Tommy... although we know it was Tommy.

Morgus

Quote from: tweet75 on December 15, 2012, 08:58:22 PM
noory claimed to have done that early on years ago, but there was no noticeable improvement because he can't do totally unscreened lines since his network phone system requires someone to answer and put callers on hold.
Art Bell had his own phone system where he was the only one answering calls, he had no staff unlike Noory.
Noory can't run the show by himself, so it never can be the same unfortunately.
Besides Noory cuts the very few good callers off quickly anyway, screened or unscreened lines wouldn't change Noory himself...

Digitech

That was going to be my question - Was there ever a time when George went without protection? Maybe in his early days subbing for Art, or when he first took over the show?

Morgus

Quote from: Digitech on December 16, 2012, 03:38:31 PM
That was going to be my question - Was there ever a time when George went without protection? Maybe in his early days subbing for Art, or when he first took over the show?
yes soon after Noory took over he claimed to try unscreened lines on some Fridays in the first few months.
but it was discovered his version was not truly unscreened since he has to have his staff answer the phones and put callers on hold, taking their information.
Noory just claimed to not look at where the caller was from before answering - not the same thing as Art Bell having no screeners or putting any on hold, just answering the phone line directly himself.
Noory and the other hosts now can't do that, since they have to use the network setup phone system, so those days of truly unscreened lines are gone for good it seems.

DigitalGuy

Yes, I believe unscreened calls would liven up the show. Hell, it couldn't get any duller, could it? However, I don't believe George could handle unscreened calls.

Here's what Art had to say about unscreened lines in his farewell address on his commemorative CD.

Quote from: Art Bell"I think my favorite moments on the show, uh that's easy. They were the fantastic unscripted times which can only be born of unscreened input. Unscreened calls from all of you. And I think that's the measure of any talk show host, in my opinion. You can take ANY call, no matter how wild and you can make it interesting, or entertaining, or funny, or worthy in some way. And if you're a good talk show host you can do that, and I hope I did."

I often say that Art could take a call from a paper plate full of horse shit and somehow make it entertaining.

tweet75

Quote from: popple on December 15, 2012, 09:06:24 PM
It would be more interesting because people who want to SOUND OFF on George would get through, and then we have to listen to him squirm.

BTW did anyone catch that part of the show last night where George read a e-mail from a listener who was an Art fan but said George won him over? Bahahaha!

this reminds me of when callers call in and they call george by the name art. He seems to get really disturbed by it and corrects them.

Scully

Quote from: Morgus on December 16, 2012, 01:37:13 AM
noory claimed to have done that early on years ago, but there was no noticeable improvement because he can't do totally unscreened lines since his network phone system requires someone to answer and put callers on hold. ...

The point is moot because I agree that Noory would screw it up one way or the other, but I don't see why calls couldn't be answered by his staff, name and location noted, and then passed on to Jorch, story untold.  8)

Gay

I remember a caller once asked Noory why he didn't do unscreened calls like Art. George then said Art never did unscreened calls, because there would be too many inebriated callers overnight!

That made me spit out my mimosa all over my understated microfiber chaise!

Did George say that because he is ignorant, a bitch, or both?

CrabbyOld Bat

I would LOVE unscreened open lines but it will never happen with Snorge. It would be far too easy to confuse or embarrass him.

Snorge: Next up, east of the Rockies. Go ahead, Crabby.

Me: Hi, Snorge. Some online haters --me included -- think you're an idiot who never pays attention to what guests or callers are saying. Could you prove the haters wrong by spelling "IQ"?

Snorge: So true.

Me: Thanks, Snorge.