• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Bumper Music

Started by BigWorm, June 27, 2008, 07:19:46 AM

Should the bumper music be removed from the stream?

Fuck Yes!
1 (5.3%)
Fuck No!
18 (94.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

BigWorm

Michael Vandeven,

thank you so much for your stream. its a real service to art bell c2c fans everywhere.

one suggestion, please remove the hideous bumper music from the stream. other c2c streams on shoutcast remove the bumper music and it is so nice just to have the conversation continue without the crappy music blasting in and buzzkilling the stream.

please post the following  poll and see if other people hate the bumper music.

should the steam have bumper music? ... yes.. or ... no.... and let the public decide. i pray the no's win.

george noory sucks ass

thanks again for the awesome stream,

BigWorm u dig!!!

EvB

Quote from: BigWorm on June 27, 2008, 07:19:46 AM
Michael Vandeven,

one suggestion, please remove the hidious bumper music from the stream.
should the steam have bumper music? ... yes.. or ... no.... and let the public decide. i pray the no's win.

thanks again for the awsome stream,

OH MAN have you stepped in it big time.  I happen to love the bumper music - though some of it isn't anything I'd buy separately (SOS from ABBA being one - though I have a strange fondness for Waterloo)  And then there is some stuff from my childhood I'd never hear anywhere else ("Counting Flowers on the Wall" - which we used to sing on road trips along with "On the Wings of a Dove" and some Par Boone ditty about the wheel that goes round and round - which turns out to be a wedding ring.)

anyway - babble aside - do you know that MV has a stream that is ONLY bumper music it's such a hit?

Anyway - you are entitled to your taste and opinion.  I even understand it - even if I don't agree.  My guess is, however, that you won't get a lot of agreement here. That, plus I've never known MV to be particularly democratic in how he runs things.  Reasonable and open to suggestion, yes - but democratic?   ROTFLM@O

Nor should he be.  This is HIS labor of love.

All that aside - I'm glad you're here - glad you're posting - and hope you continue.

Selenolycus

The bumper music if part of the atmosphere, and can often appropriately reflect content of the show.

Max

I vote it stays

ps you've been douched for such a thread....lol

C2C verA.B is known for it's kick-ass bumper tune collection. It's not the same show without it, I say.  This time good sir I offer a hearty NAY.

Keep it!!! Hearing nancy sinatra with lee hazlewood really gets me goin!! theres one song i need help finding out the artist.Unfortunatly i cant remember right now but as soon i do, i will be posting!!! I miss george carlin not nooory....

Charles

Michael Vandeven,

thank you so much for your stream. its a real service to art bell c2c fans everywhere.

one suggestion, please remove the hidious bumper music from the stream. other streams on shoutcast remove the bumper music and it is so nice just to have the conversation continue without the crappy music blasting in and buzzkilling the stream.

george noory sucks ass

You want the bumper music removed? And you have an avatar of Marley? Something is wrong here ... cool avatar but bad idea.

Oh and I second the douching ....

EvB

george noory sucks ass

Hey BigWorm,

I don't agree with your bumper music opinion, but you have a right to it.  I hope you don't take people's passion for the music personally!

Quote from: EvB on June 28, 2008, 06:02:29 PM
Hey BigWorm,

I don't agree with your bumper music opinion, but you have a right to it.  I hope you don't take people's passion for the music personally!

Yeah, Big Worm is a good name, your pic is cool, but it's just this idea that's been thoroughly douched, not you man.  You'll find that nuff folks on here likes the bumper-beats.

I like the bumper music as well. It's part of the show.

What I DON'T like is what some streams used to do (like Funklbaldy or whatever it's called) that played 3 or 4 of their own songs in between hours of the show. Plus they play George.. </3

And besides, I'm just happy to have an Art-only stream with no crap, no commercials, and next to no interruptions..(other than the occasional relevant announcements from Michael, which are always brief, informative, and amusing.)

My general take on it is: Just be thankful for the stream. AND GET ME A BEER.

EvB

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on June 28, 2008, 07:06:31 PM
I

My general take on it is: Just be thankful for the stream. AND GET ME A BEER.

YES!!!!!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Charles on June 28, 2008, 04:29:43 PM
You want the bumper music removed? And you have an avatar of Marley? Something is wrong here ... cool avatar but bad idea.

Oh and I second the douching ....
heh... i love the very modern context of the use of the word "douching" in this and other situations.

BigWorm

OMG u guys are so lame.... isn't c2c a talk stream???????????

1.  If i wanted to listen to shitty music i could go to any of the other 5,000,000 streams on the internet. (most of whom have better music)

2. I listen to art bell stream to hear Art and his guests discuss intellegent and stimulating topics. Plus, as someone stated, there is a area on www.ufoship.com that has all the bumper music that you can play in the background or listen to on your own, just pause the brillant c2c show, and play some lame ass music anytime u get ready....

3. Lets just say for arguments sake that i did like the music (I actually love "the year of the cat", and supertramps "the logical song") I still feel it has no place in the stream, I can download the songs i like, and play them anytime i want, why do i have to wait for a song to play for 20secs (not even the whole song thank god) to get back to the conversation on arts show.

4. I've been listening to c2c for at least 13yrs, and like many of you, i fall asleep listening to the show nearly every nite. I hate it when art does a masterful job of sending me to dreamland, and then some loud ass bumper music (have u ever noticed how the music decibel level is higher then the vocal?) comes blasting in and wakes me up (with my face in a puddle of drool that i must then get up and wash my face and change my pillow case ;-) I hate that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

uber douchies to all that want music, on a talk stream!!!!!

The excision of bumper music is akin to the removal of:

1.) The soundtrack from the Beatles' film, "A Hard Day's Night"

2.) The granite "sarcophagus" box from the Great Pyramid

3.) Any verse in the Book of Revelation
     (or any paragraph from Stephen King's The Stand)

4.) The heart-shaped birthmark from my ex girlfriend's ass

5.) The twin towers from the New York City skyline

6.) The "Thumbs Up or Down" rating from Ebert & Roper

7.) The first Darrin from Bewitched

8.) Roger Waters from Pink Floyd

9.) The 44 Magnum handgun from Dirty Harry

10.) The money from a Monopoly game

BigWorm

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on June 29, 2008, 06:17:22 AM
The excision of bumper music is akin to the removal of:

1.) The soundtrack from the Beatles' film, "A Hard Day's Night"

2.) The granite "sarcophagus" box from the Great Pyramid

3.) Any verse in the Book of Revelation
     (or any paragraph from Stephen King's The Stand)

4.) The heart-shaped birthmark from my ex girlfriend's ass

5.) The twin towers from the New York City skyline

6.) The "Thumbs Up or Down" rating from Ebert & Roper

7.) The first Darrin from Bewitched

8.) Roger Waters from Pink Floyd

9.) The 44 Magnum handgun from Dirty Harry

10.) The money from a Monopoly game

Putting bumper music in the art bell stream is akin to:

1. Painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa

2. Putting the Beatles music on any soundtrack, the Beatles suck ass, the rolling stones rule.

3. Playing nancy sinatra during the scene when Orsen wells said rosebud at the end of citizen kane

4. Listening to a cell phone ring during a William Shakespeare play

5. Ripping a huge fart during a love scene in a movie. On the first date.

6.  Colorizing the movie Casablanca.

7.  Spray painting/tagging the constitution of the united states bill of rights with swastikas.

8. Listening to a ipod in church. (unless its arts show w/o bumper music)

9. Removal of johny mar from the smiths,, or the guitarist from red hot chili peppers,  adding some crap guitarist.

10.  zac de le rocha, or tom morello for that matter,  from rage against the machine

11. removal of jackie joke man, and adding ardie lang to howard stern show

12. takeing a huge dump in the Sistine chapel.

Ps.. please post a pic of heart shaped birthmark of gf's ass... i'd like to see it AGAIN  ;D

EvB

Bumper music, done well - and oh MY did Art do it well - is PART of the message, and therefore part of the talk.  (Whomever helps Ian out with these things - he admits he doesn't do it all himself - is occasionally as brilliant)

You may be right right about the decibel level thing - though it hasn't been a problem for me. As I understand it, it's not so much sound and volume (though unless you live in a big city construction area - VERY loud noise is bound to wake you, as a change in sound that will wake people.  So, in my case, I sometimes wake up when the show goes off the air. 

When my son was born, he and I lived in what was essentially a two room apartment.  LARGE - but still only two rooms.  While I was an indulgent Mom in most ways, one of the things I refused to do because of the circumstances was "shhhh - the baby's sleeping!"   As a result, my now almost 22 y/o son could sleep though a sonic blast two feet from his ear.

;D

Quote from: BigWorm on June 29, 2008, 07:25:05 AM
Ps.. please post a pic of heart shaped birthmark of gf's ass... i'd like to see it AGAIN  ;D

You say "AGAIN" as if to imply you have seen the birthmark BEFORE, though I suppose I am hardly surprised to learn your mother walked around the house in the nude.  ;D

EvB

2. Putting the Beatles music on any soundtrack, the Beatles suck ass, the rolling stones rule.

Oh now you've gone an'  DONE IT BigWorm --- and I've been trying SO HARD to be supportive!

MV/Liberace!

i have NEVER understood this seemingly obligatory comparison between the beatles and the stones.  NEVER!!  and i hear it everywhere.  always have.  to me, comparing the beatles to the stones is like comparing a mercedes mclaren 722 to a mazda rx8.  granted, the rx8 (or, the stones) is something i'd be perfectly happy to drive around in, but the comparison, to me, is simply laughable.  where in the hell was this comparison allowed to start?  how many classic stones albums are regular people on the street able to name?  how many members of the stones are regular people able to name?  how many movies did the stones make?  how many profoundly famous musicians cited the stones as the reason they got into music vs. the beatles?

beatles vs. stones?  no comparison, in my view.

and by the way... the ONLY stones member i've EVER been interested in is charlie watts.

EvB

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on June 29, 2008, 06:00:31 PM
i have NEVER understood this seemingly obligatory comparison between the beatles and the stones.  NEVER!!  and i hear it everywhere.  always have.  to me, comparing the beatles to the stones is like comparing a mercedes mclaren 722 to a mazda rx8. 

I also believe there is little to no comparison, but my criteria is different.  the Beatles very quickly became a studio band.  The cost and effort to do what they did in the studio in a LIVE context was and remains prohibitive. Consider LOVE ~ Cirque du Soleil's production based on their work.  One of their original producers spearheaded the project.  It was approved by Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison.  The cost of the production was/is so great that there is only ONE long run engagement in Las Vegas.  Granted, the repeating costs would primarily be travel and reproducing the intricate staging, but innovative and intricate creations were a big part of what the Beatles were about, and when they were still a group - that still required a studio to do well.  Live, something tended to be lost in translation.  They pushed creative boundaries.  When, as they often did, they pushed social boundaries (as a group, or as public figures - their private lives, as with the Stones, are and should remain another matter)  - they usually had a stated reason for doing so. 

OTOH - the Stones were and are the "Bad Boys"  Pushing social boundaries (yes their is a lot of overlap here and I am painting with a very broad brush) because they seemed to beg for pushing.  They may have had other reasons, but have never seemed to need them.  The power of their work is still primarily held in their personal presence.  After so many years, I find that laudable, and inspiring.   

Apples and oranges my friends - pomegranates and figs.  Similar in some essential way - but more different than the same.

BigWorm

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on June 29, 2008, 06:00:31 PM
i have NEVER understood this seemingly obligatory comparison between the beatles and the stones.  NEVER!!  and i hear it everywhere.  always have.  to me, comparing the beatles to the stones is like comparing a mercedes mclaren 722 to a mazda rx8.  granted, the rx8 (or, the stones) is something i'd be perfectly happy to drive around in, but the comparison, to me, is simply laughable.  where in the hell was this comparison allowed to start?  how many classic stones albums are regular people on the street able to name?  how many members of the stones are regular people able to name?  how many movies did the stones make?  how many profoundly famous musicians cited the stones as the reason they got into music vs. the beatles?

and by the way... the ONLY stones member i've EVER been interested in is charlie watts.

Comparing the beatles to the stones is apples and oranges... only from the stand point that the beatles suck balls... Why the comparison? Because beatles fans make stones fans wanna throw up. Beatles are weak and over hyped, and got a free pass to suck during the 60's and 70's as the darling lil bitches they were, wile the stones were constantly harassed.

As far as influence in the industry, they were both influenced by early rock, blues, ska, and reggae pioneers,  (Sonny Boy Williamson [II], Muddy Waters, Peter Tosh, Rev. Gary Davis, Howlin' Wolf, Bo Diddley, Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly, The Flying Burrito Brothers, The Everly Brothers, Chuck Berry, Arthur Alexander, Bob Marley, Alexis Korner, jimi hinderix) and both influenced millions of bands, however the beatles are more of a early version of a boy band with soft pop lyrics that apeal to teenage girls, and inspired acts like new kids on the block, backstreet boys, and O town. How many beatles songs do you have in your ipod... none, they arn't relevant in anyway. Only one band i can think of that didn't suck that was influenced heavy by the beatles was oasis. Oasis stated that they would be bigger then the beatles... u know why, because it wasn't hard to be better then the beatles... Oasis is a far better band. I still have oasis on my ipod. I would bet that most modern rock bands would choose the stones as an influence, beatles have nothing in common with Korn, the clash, the specials, smashing pumpkins, red hot chili peppers, rage against the machine, metalica,  the police, janes adiction, the cure, Lincoln park, U2, current bands just want the beatles commercial sucess, not their style.

The only innovator in the beatles was John Lennon because he was a peace loving hippie, and he had to distance himself from the other shallow douche bags in the band and no amount of money could get him to reunite with the other cowards in the beatles that wouldn't protest the vietnam war. He would have rather died broke with ugly ass yoko ono. btw... he was the one that created the song Imagine, by far the best song ever done by anyone in that band, and he did it solo.

How many movies did the beatles make that didn't suck... zero.. well ok... one....  ringo star made a great movie with peter sellers called The Magic Christian (1969) rent it its fantastic, so beatles fans may not like it. anyways it was sheer luck once again on ringo's part, and whats movies got to do with music? I could list a bunch of movies that mick jagger did, and the fact that he owns a film production studio however, i don't feel its relevant to this discussion

Stones on the other hand had great albums that are recognized and remembered in most top twenty albums of all time lists to name a few :Their Satanic Majesties Request ? Beggars Banquet ? Let It Bleed ? Sticky Fingers ? Exile on Main St. ? Goats Head Soup ? It's Only Rock 'n' Roll ? Black and Blue ? Some Girls ? if you say nobody remembers exile on main st, or beggers banquet your nuts. Besides, who cares about album names... ask people to name songs... songs people can still play rock out to and dance to at parties today, and they will name more good stone songs i guarantee it

Stones also still sell out stadium concerts by themselves, something that not many acts of today can do without having a huge lineup at a summer jam radio station type of show, while the beatles are resigned to having one legged bitches steal there money, mikael jackson owning the publishing rights to their music (because the beatles sold out commercially asap) and a lame vegas show, the cost is viewed as great and cant tour, because it wouldn't make money due to the fact that teenage girls of today don't care about the beatles, think they are lame, and there isn't enuf geezers that are interested because the beatles arnt rock n roll enuf because they made a bunch of watered down love songs, with poor musical talent like ringo star, and songs about LSD easily the lamest drug ever. Whereas kieth richards, is a great guitarist with his own signature style of strumming up on the off beat, one of the koolest moves in rock n roll history only surpassed by the james brown spits, or hendrix behind the head guitar. Oh yeah.. and how many dudes still sport the mop top haircut they sported in the sixty's?. yeah... that was real sexy.

btw, i don't need your support, i can handle myself as u may have noticed.... i'm more worried about you guys getting your feelings hurt and begin attacking me personally because u cant handle the truth.

george noory sucks
bumper music sucks
beatles suck

BigWorm

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: BigWorm on June 30, 2008, 01:14:51 AM
How many beatles songs do you have in your ipod... none, they arn't relevant in anyway.
i have about 60 beatles songs in my mp3 player... and i don't use an iPod.  you wouldn't catch me dead with one of those.

Their Satanic Majesties Request ? Beggars Banquet ? Let It Bleed ? Sticky Fingers ? Exile on Main St. ? Goats Head Soup ? It's Only Rock 'n' Roll ? Black and Blue ? Some Girls ? if you say nobody remembers exile on main st, or beggers banquet your nuts.  ...ask people to name songs...and they will name more good stone songs i guarantee it
your entire premise is based on tastes and opinion.  you say "more good stone songs"... not exactly a college paper you're writing here.  NOT ONE OF THOSE ALBUM TITLES are etched in the minds of average americans walking down the street unless they are already stones fans like you.  in terms of having made any sort of bedrock impression upon our pop culture, the stones lose big time in comparison to the beatles.

...with poor musical talent like ringo star
as a drummer, i can always spot someone who doesn't really understand music on a technical level by waiting for this sort of statement about ringo.

...and songs about LSD easily the lamest drug ever.
apparently you have never used lsd.  my condolences.

btw, i don't need your support, i can handle myself as u may have noticed....
usually, such statements are indicative of a psychological need for affirmation and the desire to build a protective mechanism in the event said affirmation isn't acquired.

george noory sucks
ok, here's your affirmation.

Selenolycus

Eh, this thread has gotten derailed big-time.

Why do people feel the need to say a particular group's music sucks? Taste in music is so subjective. Appreciate what you can, make suggestions to others, but let others enjoy what they enjoy, don't ridicule them for it. From my perspective, the Stones have had some good licks, so have the Beatles. Though less so than bands like The Moody Blues and Pink Floyd, The Beatles were more an album band than The Stones, and I like that. I think they were actually pioneers on that front. Lots of Beatles singles can stand on their own, but tracks from Rubber Soul are distinct from tracks in Sgt. Pepper's etc. Their albums weren't dependent on a single or two from the album.

For the record, I didn't recognize a single Stones album the OP mentioned. I only know Stones tracks. I think the influence of both bands was enormous. Floyd, Nirvana, Queen, and even The Stones (who covered a Beatles track, so I guess they thought they weren't that terrible) all were influenced by The Beatles, and all those bands influenced a lot of bands today.

To each their own, though.

I think if the OP wants to get rid of the bumper music he can scour the torrent sites that already host a good deal of C2C music, or subscribe to Streamlink and DL it himself, and then remove the bumper music via audio editing software such as Audacity, and stream himself.

Removing bumper music from the stream would not only diminish my interest, but would be an enormous chore for Michael.

There's like, what, a whole six minutes worth total of bumper music per show? Lower the volume and read something while it plays if it bothers you that much. If you don't want to listen to it, record the streams yourself, get your own audio sources, edit them, and play them as you wish.

You'll be doing yourself and people who share your viewpoint a favor.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Σεληνόλυκος on June 30, 2008, 04:45:14 AM
Removing bumper music from the stream would not only diminish my interest, but would be an enormous chore for Michael.
christ you aren't kidding there.

Max

one thing, there is no bumper music on the streamlink downloads, they only post the raw pre-music mixed audio I believe it is...

Don't mess with JigSaw........,

.......and Jigsaw won't mess with you. Take away the bumper music and well....."Ahh....Big Worm......We're going to play a little game...."

You know, I wish I knew who the jackass was that mentioned the Beatles and A Hard Day's Night first in this topic, I really do, thus causing Big Worm to react so.   It seems obvious - to me at least - this "Beatles-freak" (for a lack of a better term) somehow knew exactly which white rubber button to push in the automat to serve up a hot meal of contention - knowing fool on the hill well it was a potentially sensitive flash point/pot of a musical nature to be used (self referentially) to annoy anyone who happens to hate bumper music and thus blow this show completely helter skelter off its rails as he, for some reason known only to him, wanted to expose a side of Big Worm perhaps better left unexplored.  This, this interloper is probably one of those Beatles fans who believes Their Satanic Majesties Request was a badly cloned rip off of Sgt. Pepper. 

I don't know about you, but I am sick and I am tired of individuals who suffer from malignant narcissism... who come in here and... that... that... manipulate ... and control things .... as if it were somehow a giant Alice In Wonderland chessboard at their disposal for their own self-gratification...

Who...

Oh. Wait a second...  I hear music.  You know what that means.  It means we're at the top of the hour and we will return with Father Malachi Martin and his accounts of places and circumstance any sane individual would normally shy away from...   much less actively pursue...

Places I would have to say, and I'm sure you will agree, are south of heaven...

[queue (ironically) Live and Let Die by Wings]

What does it matter to you?
When you gotta job to do
You gotta do it well
I'm Art Bell
You gotta give the other fellow hell...
And you're listening to Coast to Coast ... AM.

>~~~~~~~> CRESCENDO!!!!!!!! BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(laughing gently as I diabolically transmit electrical current to awakening spines)

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on June 30, 2008, 05:36:15 AM
christ you aren't kidding there.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I mean, how many different Art shows are currently looping on the stream? And how many times per show do they go on break/come back and play bumper music? Geeze, editing them of commercials the first time must have been a chore in itself.

EvB

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on June 30, 2008, 11:44:37 AM
You know, I wish I knew who the jackass was that mentioned the Beatles and A Hard Day's Night first in this topic, I really do, thus causing Big Worm to react so.   

ROTFLMF*AO

Oh you are a BAD, BAD BOY - or "jackass" if you will.  ;:)

Quote from: EvB on June 30, 2008, 04:39:34 PM
ROTFLMF*AO
Oh you are a BAD, BAD BOY - or "jackass" if you will.  ;:)

Guilty.  Bad to the bone.