• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

HorrorRetro

Another one I just remembered is the use of suppose and supposed.  It seems very few people these days understand that the word is supposed, not suppose.  For instance, "She was supposed to be intelligent."  Instead, the majority of people will say, "She is suppose to be intelligent."  That makes me psychotic.   Of course, suppose is a word.  "I suppose she is intelligent" is a proper use of suppose.

I see the same improper usage for use and used.  "I use to be intelligent" is how I see it used these days, rather than "I used to be intelligent."   

ziznak

regardless... and Irregardless... another one...

McPhallus

Quote from: HorrorRetro on September 05, 2012, 05:07:11 PM
Another one I just remembered is the use of suppose and supposed.  It seems very few people these days understand that the word is supposed, not suppose.  For instance, "She was supposed to be intelligent."  Instead, the majority of people will say, "She is suppose to be intelligent."  That makes me psychotic.   Of course, suppose is a word.  "I suppose she is intelligent" is a proper use of suppose.

I see the same improper usage for use and used.  "I use to be intelligent" is how I see it used these days, rather than "I used to be intelligent."

Some just words are just clunky:
'spose ta
'sposedly
'sposably

Just like probably:
prolly
probly

Even as a writer, I have used some of these "abbreviated" versions of the words in speech.

Quote from: b_dubb on September 04, 2012, 08:16:20 PM
... in the court of the crimson king ...

Does anyone know if those guys are done, or done touring, or what.  I think last time they came here was around 2005 or so.  Belew's been thru with his side band a couple of times, but no Fripp - I miss those great shows

Quote from: HorrorRetro on September 05, 2012, 04:36:42 PM
I'm annoyed when I see adults write alot rather than a lot...

I kinda sorta wanna do that alot

Ben Shockley

The contraction of "have" rendered as "of."

I would have gone = I would've gone = I would of gone.
Do those morons even ask themselves what that means?  What the hell is "would of?"

HorrorRetro

Quote from: ziznak on September 05, 2012, 05:14:52 PM
regardless... and Irregardless... another one...

Oh, yeah, that's another one.

coaster

Quote from: Ben Shockley on September 05, 2012, 05:37:45 PM
The contraction of "have" rendered as "of."

I would have gone = I would've gone = I would of gone.
Do those morons even ask themselves what that means?  What the hell is "would of?"
I'm guilty of this. I try to catch it when I type, but sometimes it slips through. It really annoys me. Instead of typing, it's more like I'm sounding out my hillbilly speech through the keyboard. Because I actually say "should of/would of" in daily conversation. One of my many, many flaws..

For me, it's loose instead of lose. Like fingernails on the chalkboard. Also they're, their and there. It's not rocket science, it's sloppiness. And the worst are the misspelled signs on buildings all over NYC. Presumably someone was hired to do those signs, and they got paid for making their client look like an idiot.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: UnscreenedCaller on September 05, 2012, 06:00:46 PM
For me, it's loose instead of lose. Like fingernails on the chalkboard. Also they're, their and there. It's not rocket science, it's sloppiness. And the worst are the misspelled signs on buildings all over NYC. Presumably someone was hired to do those signs, and they got paid for making their client look like an idiot.

Your instead of You're
Less instead of fewer
Thru instead of through
Comprise instead of compose
Compose instead of comprise

...and the list goes on.

coaster

I hate when people confuse the words "breath" and "breathe".

Eddie Coyle

Olla yooze grammer Nazis.

Try and do something, instead of try to do something.

McPhallus

"I could give a rat's ass."
Really?  Keep it.

"I could care less."
Really?  That means you care.

"Where'd you eat at?"
Ugh.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 05, 2012, 06:46:36 PM

Olla yooze grammer Nazis.

As a former editor and a Goethe (maiden name), I resemble that remark.

ChewMouse

I am annoyed by posters who open a new topic and spell the title incorrectly. A random example would be "What the Hek is Art Bell Doing?"

I'm very annoyed.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ChewMouse on September 05, 2012, 08:50:27 PM
I am annoyed by posters who open a new topic and spell the title incorrectly. A random example would be "What the Hek is Art Bell Doing?"

I'm very annoyed.
I blame Twitter, our public school system and good old dysgenics.

PS...a quick peek at the oeuvre of said OP guilty of this offense will answer some questions. Something about a drawer and dulled eating utensils.

Eddie Coyle

Threads that are clearly indicative of school being back in session. For instance, an English Lit 101 course.

Ben Shockley

Quote from: McPhallus on September 05, 2012, 07:43:40 PM
"Where'd you eat at?"
Ugh.
I'm particularly attuned to that superfluous "at."
Watch "reality" cop shows, and you'll hear the street cops use that a lot as they question suspects: "where do you live at?" etc.   It may be that the cops are just dumb enough to legitimately talk that way, no doubt.   More likely to me, they're doing some weird "code shifting," to talk in a way that they think "people out here will understand."
You can also hear dumb-ass civilians "code shift" as they talk to cops, talking in a way that from their narrow experience they think "sounds official."  It's really funny to hear some guy with no shirt and half his teeth --drunk, to boot-- trying to sound "correct and formal" (based on god knows what) while talking to cops.

coaster

is there a music thread i wasnt aware of? this annoys me. im inebriated, I searched high and low for the music thread. i was just about to start a new thread with some awesome blues, but i imagined the headaches it would of caused. shucks. well, im listening to some pretty awesome tune guys... this thread annoys me. it rambles

Ben Shockley

Quote from: coaster on September 06, 2012, 01:56:13 AM
... but i imagined the headaches it would of  caused. shucks...
Busted!  ;D

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Ben Shockley on September 06, 2012, 01:36:44 AM
It may be that the cops are just dumb enough to legitimately talk that way, no doubt.   More likely to me, they're doing some weird "code shifting," to talk in a way that they think "people out here will understand."
You can also hear dumb-ass civilians "code shift" as they talk to cops, talking in a way that from their narrow experience they think "sounds official."  It's really funny to hear some guy with no shirt and half his teeth --drunk, to boot-- trying to sound "correct and formal" (based on god knows what) while talking to cops.

god.   this is one of the first things i notice whenever i watch any cop show.

coaster

Quote from: Ben Shockley on September 06, 2012, 02:14:48 AM
Busted!  ;D
haha! told ya. Also, I don't have any idea what I was talking about up there. Drinking and computers don't mix.

CoastCanuck

What annoys me is when I ask a question, the person I ask it of does not give me an answer.
And another thing.... I promptly try to answer all emails (I'm in IT).  But it bugs me when people who want me to do something for them don't answer my emails.

Sardondi

For me it's the complete ignorance of the correct use of the objective form of personal pronouns. This disease has infected talking heads, celebrities, scriptwriters - apparently no one in popular culture knows that the sentence, "Jimmy gave he and I", is wildly incorrect.

What I'm talking about is the use of the subjective form of pronouns (I, he/she, we, they) in situations where the objective form is the only correct one (me, him/her, us, them). Listen to any tv discussion, any newscast, any movie or tv show: the characters will say something like "The police told she and I about the wreck." Again, it should be "The police told her and me (or "us") about the wreck." Remember, if it's the subject of a sentence, use the subjective form; if it's the object, (meaning if the person being acted on, or if something is being done to her/him/them) then you use the objective form.

It drives me crazy to see this gross error become so widespread, because you can hear these dullards thinking to themselves how educated they sound, when in fact all they're doing is demonstrating their ignorance. Help stamp it out! Remember, "me", "him", "her", "us" and "them" are just as good as their subjective forms. So use them in thei appropriate way. Thank you.
Hubert Walter Throckmorton, IV,  Chairman, Americans For A Pristine Language.

Dee instead of day - Saturdee, Sundee, Mondee Night Football

stevesh

Quote from: Sardondi on September 06, 2012, 10:19:37 PM
For me it's the complete ignorance of the correct use of the objective form of personal pronouns. This disease has infected talking heads, celebrities, scriptwriters - apparently no one in popular culture knows that the sentence, "Jimmy gave he and I", is wildly incorrect.

What I'm talking about is the use of the subjective form of pronouns (I, he/she, we, they) in situations where the objective form is the only correct one (me, him/her, us, them). Listen to any tv discussion, any newscast, any movie or tv show: the characters will say something like "The police told she and I about the wreck." Again, it should be "The police told her and me (or "us") about the wreck." Remember, if it's the subject of a sentence, use the subjective form; if it's the object, (meaning if the person being acted on, or if something is being done to her/him/them) then you use the objective form.

It drives me crazy to see this gross error become so widespread, because you can hear these dullards thinking to themselves how educated they sound, when in fact all they're doing is demonstrating their ignorance. Help stamp it out! Remember, "me", "him", "her", "us" and "them" are just as good as their subjective forms. So use them in thei appropriate way. Thank you.
Hubert Walter Throckmorton, IV,  Chairman, Americans For A Pristine Language.

I've always thought that the current almost universal habit of 'me and whomever' ("Me and Tim went to the movies." - very annoying, and the guest last night, a Naval Academy grad, used it at least twice) is a reflection of the fact that most people have become so narcissistic that they can't bring themselves to put someone else first in a sentence.

Should be grateful, maybe, that "I and Tim went to the movies" sounds wrong even to these dolts.

Eddie Coyle

An unmedicated and untalented street musician(homeless derelict) doing an eight minute version of "Tangled Up in Blue" at the Harvard subway station in Cambridge, MA.

While the trains ran late. The third rail has never been so enticing.