• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

People that use (exploit) their little children in commercial ads.

''Go to Big Billy Bob's BBQ Buffet 'cause my daddy is da bestest cook in na world''

stevesh

Quote from: FightTheFuture on November 07, 2013, 05:31:42 AM
People that use (exploit) their little children in commercial ads.

All children in all advertising. Child labor is eeeevil unless someone wants to sell me something.

Lee Majors endorsing a "bionic ear" hearing aid.

If the company is going to stoop that low, at least have the common human decency to use Lindsay Fucking Wagner.

Steve had the EYE. Jaime had the EAR.

It's incorrect exploitation.

Sardondi

Quote from: stevesh on November 07, 2013, 06:42:22 AM...Child labor is eeeevil unless someone wants to sell me something.
Hee hee.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 07, 2013, 10:45:02 AMLee Majors endorsing a "bionic ear" hearing aid.

If the company is going to stoop that low, at least have the common human decency to use Lindsay Fucking Wagner.

Steve had the EYE. Jaime had the EAR.

It's incorrect exploitation.
I hate intellectually lazy exploitation exploitators exploiters users. Sheesh.

Oh yeah. I noticed a post from Unquenchable Angst about this - the disappearance of the "fifth" of liquor in favor of the "750ml". God, what a bloodless, lifeless thing is that: far too piggish for one, but a churlish, niggardly amount for a party. I've long given up on that earlier, much greater sin and annoyance: the disappearance of the quart of liquor. Now that was a manly silhouette and a man's appropriate ration, from which he might be an endlessly generous host.

Quote from: Sardondi on November 07, 2013, 11:13:14 AM

Oh yeah. I noticed a post from Unquenchable Angst about this - the disappearance of the "fifth" of liquor in favor of the "750ml". God, what a bloodless, lifeless thing is that: far too piggish for one, but a churlish, niggardly amount for a party. I've long given up on that earlier, much greater sin and annoyance: the disappearance of the quart of liquor. Now that was a manly silhouette and a man's appropriate ration, from which he might be an endlessly generous host.

Oh my god, you just put words to a vague annoyance I've been feeling at the liquor store for quite a while. I couldn't put my finger on it, but this is it! What happened to the fifth of liquor? And yeah, the quart? We always had quarts around the house for my parents' parties, and I've got some still from early days of housekeeping, but they aren't around anymore. I'm glad I can still find larger than 750 ml bourbon and Kentucky whiskey or I'd really be depressed.

Quote from: Sardondi on November 07, 2013, 11:13:14 AM

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on November 07, 2013, 03:00:22 PM
Oh my god, you just put words to a vague annoyance I've been feeling at the liquor store for quite a while. I couldn't put my finger on it, but this is it! What happened to the fifth of liquor? And yeah, the quart?

I will certainly drink to that. I had also noticed it, but it was at the nadir of any conscious awareness.

All the varieties of holding up one's hands and bleating "I plead the fifth!" jokes at tolerant mom and pop liquor store attendants are now moot, on their way to becoming as extinct as those rebellious yet innocent prank phone calls delivered via Russian Roulette rotary dial long before caller ID ability, telling a complete stranger you damn well know who they are and you saw what they did. (and in my case, having a female cousin present who could not contain herself and inevitably laughed in the background as I was delivering the absolute best Gregory Peck any ten-year-old spunk monster could.)

But you know, you grow up and away from making prank phone calls, and you know everything works out and is going to be okay because when you become an adult, you'll be able to summon a goddamn fifth from beyond the veil of sobriety with the growl and confidence of a grizzly or the subtle wistfulness of a Mr. Hobbs On Vacation.

(sigh)

(Yes, there are plenty of ways to make prank calls and texts via smart phone, but it just doesn't have the "brass bells" it once did.)

Sardondi

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 07, 2013, 04:03:58 PM...But you know, you grow up and away from making prank phone calls, and you know everything works out and is going to be okay because when you become an adult, you'll be able to summon a goddamn fifth from beyond the veil of sobriety with the growl and confidence of a grizzly or the subtle wistfulness of a Mr. Hobbs On Vacation.
A movie I love with all my heart. What a guy. You watch that and think, "Hey, I know him!. Wait!.....I am him!"

bateman

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 07, 2013, 04:03:58 PM
But you know, you grow up and away from making prank phone calls

Speak for yourself.

Quote from: Sardondi on November 07, 2013, 05:44:47 PM
A movie I love with all my heart. What a guy. You watch that and think, "Hey, I know him!. Wait!.....I am him!"
I am completely ignorant of film and acting schools and their methods, but I would hope that at some point a sincere analysis of Mr. Hobbs Takes A Vacation would be required homework/study because Stewart so effectively nails it. It remains relevant and is pure cinema, so damn well executed on multiple levels. 

It passes the "stranded on a deserted island but you can take only ten movies to watch on your solar-charged computer tablet until rescued" test.

(And mein Gott, Maureen O'Hara! Maureen O'Hara! From one horn dog perspective, that's worth the price of admission alone.)

Quote from: bateman on November 07, 2013, 05:54:04 PM
Speak for yourself.

Thanks for the warning.

(releasing Prince Albert from his cylindrical prison in preparation to answer in the negative)

Speak for yourself.

Just when I thought it would be safe to sit in front of my computer, sipping on a hot cup of coffee... >:(

Glad you're here, Bateman.   :)

BobGrau

Getting upset over a rich old man tinkering in his shed.

onan

Quote from: BobGrau on November 08, 2013, 07:45:29 AM

what about in his bathroom when every one else is gone?

stevesh

Quote from: BobGrau on November 08, 2013, 07:45:29 AM

Getting upset over any old man tinkling in his bed.

BobGrau

Quote from: onan on November 08, 2013, 08:03:22 AM
what about in his bathroom when every one else is gone?

I hope he's a little more regular in the bathroom :P

Sardondi

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 08, 2013, 12:53:19 AM
I am completely ignorant of film and acting schools and their methods, but I would hope that at some point a sincere analysis of Mr. Hobbs Takes A Vacation would be required homework/study because Stewart so effectively nails it. It remains relevant and is pure cinema, so damn well executed on multiple levels. 

It passes the "stranded on a deserted island but you can take only ten movies to watch on your solar-charged computer tablet until rescued" test.

(And mein Gott, Maureen O'Hara! Maureen O'Hara! From one horn dog perspective, that's worth the price of admission alone.)
Yes to all. And most assuredly to the fine-bosomed Irish lass, the creamy-skinned Maureen O'Hara.

aldousburbank

Quote from: Sardondi on November 08, 2013, 09:58:05 AM
Yes to all. And most assuredly to the fine-bosomed Irish lass, the creamy-skinned Maureen O'Hara.
All of a sudden I'm extremely hungry. Maybe some cheesecake...

ItsOver

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 07, 2013, 04:03:58 PM

But you know, you grow up and away from making prank phone calls...

Speak for yourself.

Hahaha... grow up, never!  I'm still dreaming that one day, Art Bell will return to broadcasting. 

Quote from: Sardondi on November 08, 2013, 09:58:05 AM

The greatest of all time, my friend. Nobody has ever done it better.

Usagi

Quote from: FightTheFuture on November 08, 2013, 10:47:37 AM

The greatest of all time, my friend. Nobody has ever done it better.

Yowza. And the star of my favorite movie of all time, The Parent Trap, no less.

Oh yes, that's right. The Parent Trap.

stevesh

Hayley Mills was my first true love.

Sardondi

Quote from: stevesh on November 08, 2013, 12:09:29 PMHayley Mills was my first true love.
I was a sucker for the Disney Girls. Annette, Queen of the Mouseketeers was my first love.

But then it was the glorious Cheryl. Oh, my heart. The beautiful, blonde, petite Cheryl....

Who became a fine, lovely, heartbreaker of a babe...

Even today my heart does a little flippitty flop when I think of my puppy love for that beautiful little girl.

Chine

I almost posted a photo of Shaun Cassidy, a former childhood crush. Yet, more worthy is this one. Beautiful Yul Brenner.

Usagi

Quote from: Sardondi on November 08, 2013, 04:35:53 PM
I was a sucker for the Disney Girls. Annette, Queen of the Mouseketeers was my first love.

Ah.  Another favorite of mine, to be sure (she did sing the theme to The Parent Trap, after all).  I thought about posting a link to the charming "Tall Paul"... but instead, a song from my SECOND favorite movie of all time:

Annette Funicello sings "Jamaica Ska" in BACK TO THE BEACH

Egads!  Once again the "Things That Annoy You" thread is covered with things I enjoy.  I'm comfortable with that.

McPhallus

Quote from: Usagi on November 08, 2013, 07:24:51 PM
Egads!  Once again the "Things That Annoy You" thread is covered with things I enjoy.  I'm comfortable with that.

Just when you thought it was safe.....   I'm annoyed that some Hulu exec thought it was a brilliant idea to come up with a sitcom about a mosque.  And the previews are so, so bad.

georgesucks

Quote from: McPhallus on November 08, 2013, 07:58:39 PM
Just when you thought it was safe.....   I'm annoyed that some Hulu exec thought it was a brilliant idea to come up with a sitcom about a mosque.  And the previews are so, so bad.
Hey McPhallus is it called little mosque on the prairie.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Mosque_on_the_Prairie

Quote from: stevesh on November 08, 2013, 12:09:29 PM
Hayley Mills was my first true love.

Troy Donahue. I know, I know, how can someone who went on to idolize Frank Zappa start out with Troy as a wee lassie? Simple - he looked good in swim trunks.  ;)

Loved those old 50's movies.

UrbanFool

Quote from: Chine on November 08, 2013, 07:13:56 PM
I almost posted a photo of Shaun Cassidy, a former childhood crush. Yet, more worthy is this one. Beautiful Yul Brenner.

I just love Yul Brenner!