• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

albrecht

Quote from: Jojo on April 03, 2018, 08:26:35 PM

It might not be in your nature, but turn-about is fair play and really is innocent.  All obnoxious neighbors have times when they are weak, hungover, reading a book, trying to talk on the phone or sleeping hard.  As such, they need peace and quiet.  That makes them weak.

Whether it is at 4PM or 4AM, make of note of their weak times or times when you expect them to be weak (6-7 hours after a party stops is good).

Then, start mowing your lawn when you know they are weak. *67 them a couple times.  Write "For a good time, call (neighbor) at 4AM Sundays.." on sympathic walls.  Throw a couple early morning Zumba parties when they are weak.  Edge your lawn when they are weak.  **Locate your recycle bin as close to their sleeping room as you can on your property.  Then, when they are weak, go outside quietly, lift the recycle bin quietly and then make a huge abrupt crash as you dump all your bottles in all at once.  Get back in the house quickly**. Buy an air horn and use it very selectively.  When they are weak, set your car alarm off and fail to attend to it for a few minutes.  Whenever they are weak, be as obnoxious as you can but avoid any fight. It is perfectly reasonable to hang a couple wall decorations at 9AM, which involves hammering.

Giving them a taste of their own medicine is fair play.  If they get angry, have your responses prepared, and remind them that just as they have the freedom to live as they like, so do you.

For the people who stare, get an exercise machine and a sexy outfit and do it in the window at times when they are trying to enjoy their family dinner.  Every night.  Be sure to be as barely dressed as you can and do some awkward stretches with your rear to the window.  When they finally learn their lesson and shut their drapes, then you won.
Some of your techniques reminds me of this classic Greaseman bit. Hilarious stuff. Art, him, and Hendrie are the best radio guys ever.
http://www.greaseman.org/sounds/karls/0230%20Revenge%20on%20Phil%20Kronenberg.mp3

ShayP

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on April 03, 2018, 06:14:46 PM
There goes my suggestion.  Oh well, enjoy enjoy

Ha!  I'd like to see what your suggestion it is.

ShayP

Quote from: Jojo on April 03, 2018, 08:26:35 PM
It really does help to tell people what is bugging you...

Giving them a taste of their own medicine is fair play...

I'm having difficulty picturing someone following a man uninvited into his dwelling.  Can you just do a quick 180 and step on his toes?

It's no fun telling someone in an irritated tone that they need to leave because you don't feel like socializing, but better to do it.  Who cares if you hurt their feelings?  They are hurting yours!  They sound socially unpleasant anyhow so if they get mad at you, it is actually a favor to get them out of your social circle!

Consider parking elsewhere and make sure no one knows you are home.

Thanks for the reply jojo.  I enjoyed reading the suggestions. I abbreviated your post so I can address the jist of it. 

I have told them many times in a polite and direct manner regarding their intrusions.  However, I can go zero to sixty quickly once my patience runs out and I don't like to do that.  It's not as bad as it used to be and actually stopped for a bit.

However the last two straws were when neighbor #1's teenage children both were looking through my window with their hands cupped around there faces to see in better.  I was pissed an asked them if their mom was home.  They said 'no' and I quickly replied "This is the last damn time you come over here. Do you understand?"  They left and I saw the mother later and made it clear that I was "sick of this shit."  She seemed stunned, apologized, and things have been decent since.  Albeit awkward.

Neighbor #2 is the one that would follow me.  No matter where I went this guy would turn up.  I ran into him everywhere and he always would holler my name, give a wave, and approach me.  Overly friendly and creepy dude.  If I had a bag of groceries, he'd try looking in them.  If I was already in my car he'd snoop or stand there as if I would give him a ride. Constantly asking me where I'm going.  I would lie and that SOB would still somehow run into me. LOL!  Sounds pretty harmless.  But...

One day I heard my doorknob rattle.  I peeked out and it was him.  I didn't do anything then.  I wanted to see how far he'd go.  After jiggling the doorknob a couple times he left.  The next day I saw him getting his mail and asked him flat out "Why the fuck were you trying to open my door?"  He stuttered and said he didn't.  I called bullshit and he finally said he wanted to see if I was home.  I said "Knock.  Don't do that shit again."

A week later he is making a b-line towards me as I approach my door.  I get the keys in and start to open it and sense him behind me.  I turned around, threw my forearm into his chest, pushed him back, and said "Get the fuck out of here man! You don't try to follow me into my place asshole.  What the fuck is wrong with you!?"  He almost fell when I shoved him.  He just stood there, stared at me for a few seconds, turned around and then walked away.  I only saw him a couple times since.  He hasn't looked at me or said a word.  He is the one that is moving.  That was great news to hear.  I hope the next person, or people, that move in are at least tolerable.

Quote from: ShayP on April 04, 2018, 08:42:46 AM
Thanks for the reply jojo.  I enjoyed reading the suggestions. I abbreviated your post so I can address the jist of it. 

I have told them many times in a polite and direct manner regarding their intrusions.  However, I can go zero to sixty quickly once my patience runs out and I don't like to do that.  It's not as bad as it used to be and actually stopped for a bit.

However the last two straws were when neighbor #1's teenage children both were looking through my window with their hands cupped around there faces to see in better.  I was pissed an asked them if their mom was home.  They said 'no' and I quickly replied "This is the last damn time you come over here. Do you understand?"  They left and I saw the mother later and made it clear that I was "sick of this shit."  She seemed stunned, apologized, and things have been decent since.  Albeit awkward.

Neighbor #2 is the one that would follow me.  No matter where I went this guy would turn up.  I ran into him everywhere and he always would holler my name, give a wave, and approach me.  Overly friendly and creepy dude.  If I had a bag of groceries, he'd try looking in them.  If I was already in my car he'd snoop or stand there as if I would give him a ride. Constantly asking me where I'm going.  I would lie and that SOB would still somehow run into me. LOL!  Sounds pretty harmless.  But...

One day I heard my doorknob rattle.  I peeked out and it was him.  I didn't do anything then.  I wanted to see how far he'd go.  After jiggling the doorknob a couple times he left.  The next day I saw him getting his mail and asked him flat out "Why the fuck were you trying to open my door?"  He stuttered and said he didn't.  I called bullshit and he finally said he wanted to see if I was home.  I said "Knock.  Don't do that shit again."

A week later he is making a b-line towards me as I approach my door.  I get the keys in and start to open it and sense him behind me.  I turned around, threw my forearm into his chest, pushed him back, and said "Get the fuck out of here man! You don't try to follow me into my place asshole.  What the fuck is wrong with you!?"  He almost fell when I shoved him.  He just stood there, stared at me for a few seconds, turned around and then walked away.  I only saw him a couple times since.  He hasn't looked at me or said a word.  He is the one that is moving.  That was great news to hear.  I hope the next person, or people, that move in are at least tolerable.

Those are some whacked-out (Nooryism) stories, Shay.  Glad things are getting better.   :D

albrecht

Wow, bizarre. I suggest cleaning and oiling your shotgun or rifle on your porch, deck, or by a window with clear visibility. Shirtless in your underwear and black socks (which are held up by those sock garters Englishmen wear, ideally.) And muttering loudly. Maybe, accompanied by some Hamm's or suitable adult beverage. That usually clears people off. Doing same in the Canary Yellow sundress with the sock ensemble would get rid of them for good, but might get the guys in white suits with large nets to visit.
Or these ideas:
http://www.greaseman.org/sounds/karls/0230%20Revenge%20on%20Phil%20Kronenberg.mp3

Quote from: ShayP on April 04, 2018, 08:03:15 AM

I think Jojo did an excellent job covering it

Jojo

JOJO GETS A COMPLIMENT AND WRITES A NEW W-O-T !!!

Wow, that IS really something!  I thought it was annoying when "Grandma" here peeks in my grocery bags, opens my mail "accidentally", and pushes her way through me to the stove top to see what snack I'm cooking!  (I finally realized her life is THAT DULL and just gave up!  I get to be her daily excitement...)

Yeah, I'm like you.  In often hit 60MPH before I realize it!  It has taken years of targeting for me to get beter results by playing it cool or documenting and reporting it later. The thing with trying to be cool with people is that it takes so much flipping time and civility to go through the steps to escalate gradually over time, giving offenders fair warning and all that.  Seems stupid, because they should just be decent to begin with.  I shouldn't have to take time out of my world to warn them, garner support, make a paper trail, and finally get enforcement of civility.  Even if I win, I lose time!  But it is possible to enjoy the ride if I try.  Like learning who is who, and who is on which side.  I can identify undercover store security now, and sometimes they actually give me a store deal!  Really, just little things, mostly like giving me the benefit of the doubt or being a tad more generous or respectful than they would otherwise be.  You didn't ask, but one good thing happened when my temper kind of tempered over time, and that is, that I became a much better observer, recorder, networker, and problem-solver.  For every jerk out there, there are ten other people that hate 'em, too, not just you!  Good to know.  But of course, I still snap off sometimes - especially if I'm short on time or get caught up in the anger.

My mantra then is, "I took it out on their hide, so that will be enough this time".  One time, this girl was verbally roughing me up and simple would not stop!  All because I asked her not to cut in from of me.  Well, it just went on and on, and I was not about to leave because it was the food bank, she was just a young adult, and I needed food.  My heart was racing, and the people in charge were uncomfortable, but didnt stop her inappropriate sass.  Finally, I snapped and just deadpan said, "I'm sure your daddy just loves you.  Are you a daddy's girl?". I'll never know what made me say that, or how I knew what verbal target to hit so well, but she burst into tears, as her dad had died not too long ago.  I replied that my dad also had passed away, so, I said, we had that in common.  Lol.  Sorry, I guess it wasn't funny to her.  There are other food banks, though, too. 

I wonder if Doorknob Guy is brain-damaged.  Well, glad he is moving, did you scare him, but if it happens again, I would "entrap" him then step out of earshot and quickly call 911 to report an intruder who "might be just brain-damaged", then go back and sit with him all nice until the cops arrive to "remind" him that you told him not to do turn the doorknob!  At which point, the stress actually goes down in the room because the cops get to do the tense talk, while I would just mutter, "I tried to tell ya, Hon".  He might be easy to fake out by pretending to have an ally on your phone.  You could pretend to make a call to a neighbor he likes or is intimidated by, and pretend to say, " Oh yah, Doorknob Turner is here again.  I know, Bob, I know.  I told him what you said, not to follow me, but, uh, here he is.  Well, I'm glad we talked about this.  Golf Friday?  Oh, sure.  I can make it.  Okay, you too.  Have a good night.  Bye."

I've called cops on kids once.  It went well.  Never happened again.  Because I really can't do turn-about with kids, like the window thing! You can fake them out, though, by saying loudly through the window, " Yes, Officer, they are on my property right now.  Oh, you are right around the corner?  That's greeaattt!".  Another time, I tape recorded myself telling a child not to follow me in a public place.  The mom saw my long digital tape recorder and took the kid away.  I also alerted store security to that unsupervised young child running around the store.  Never hurts to have store security on speed dial.

Well, now you've got me going on and on.  It never ends, the stories I could tell.

But there was trouble one time when I took a photo of an adult harasser, because her child's head was in the shot.  The harasser suspected the child would be in the photo, and that made her angry so she called 911 acting like I did something wrong.  The parks ranger actually confiscated my phone AND insisted on detaining me until law enforcement came.  Finally, law enforcement arrived and they examined my photo.  It took 20 more mintues, but they also listened to a tape recording I had of the adult harasser (I had warned her I was audio-recording her, then i started a fresh recording advising her again I was recording her.  The officer liked that, two warnings, one separate). After the officer heard on the recording how harassing she had been, I was off the hook for the photo.  He called her a liar (basically) and I was free of her.

But, then he looked at other photos on my phone and acted alarmed about one where a bunch of men in combat clothes were pictured.  I had to calm him down, explaining he was looking at the Army Reserves, not a militia!

Unfortunately, I had been at the park to shower for an annual dinner party while my home shower was broken.  The 65 minutes she stole from my life that day me caused me to miss most of the dinner party.  My late arrival felt very awkward.  It all was really ironic, because she had Air Force parking permits, I had the photo of a friend in the U.S. military reserves, and the harasser wore a Christian cross, whereas I am also a Christian.  We had a lot in common, but there was no doubt she was harassing me.

I tried to press charges afterward for harassment, but when the officer saw that her license plates were from a county two counties away, he basically said he did not want to take a report that she harassed me.  He didn't recognize me, but I knew him from when he helped me once the year before.  He had performed okay the other time, taking risks to his own safety in the dark, so I decided  not to pressure him this time plus maybe i thought maybe i could still get to the party. But if I ever see that woman again, I would like to be the biggest pain in the ass a person can legally be.

I'm glad you scared off Doorknob Turner.  I wonder if you might like to deadbold your door even when you are home.  I know guys are bigger than us women, so they dont fear as much as we do, but my dad always used to say, "If it is shut, it is locked!".  The Fire Dept is prepared to break the frame, is what they told me.  I can't imagine any need for an unlocked door, although I guess people who garden a lot or people with children might.

ksm32

Quote from: ShayP on April 03, 2018, 05:04:50 PM
Sorry.  I'd like to but it would be a boring story.  I can't paint a vivid picture of the circumstance.  Essentially I am sandwiched between neighbors who have no respect for privacy and no courtesy whatsoever.   There is no reasoning with them either as they don't have the best communication skills.  Apparently peeking in people's windows and trying to follow them into their dwelling is appropriate behavior even though they were never invited.  The constant noise is an issue as well.  Fortunately one of the clan is moving soon. 

I will be patient however.  Patience is something I needed to, and have, worked on for years.  Deep cleansing breaths.   ;)

Ahh, that pretty much tells the story. That sucks.

I am of the assumption that you are a fella..? Sometimes a verbally implied physical threat can do wonders. You're not really Mr. Rogers..  "one of the clan is moving soon" but who the hell will be replacing them? Could even be worse!

Here are some things you can try:

- Get a few menacing tattoos.

- Shave your head and start working out.

- Grow an Anton LaVey beard.

- Get a large breed aggressive dog, name him cunt.

Are you in an open carry state?

albrecht

Quote from: ksm32 on April 04, 2018, 09:55:09 PM
Ahh, that pretty much tells the story. That sucks.

I am of the assumption that you are a fella..? Sometimes a verbally implied physical threat can do wonders. You're not really Mr. Rogers..  "one of the clan is moving soon" but who the hell will be replacing them? Could even be worse!

Here are some things you can try:

- Get a few menacing tattoos.

- Shave your head and start working out.

- Grow an Anton LaVey beard.

- Get a large breed aggressive dog, name him cunt.

Are you in an open carry state?

Au Contaire. You wanna to run 'em off. Get a small foo-foo dog that yips all the time and bites heels. But  I'm still going with Shay in a Canary Yellow sundress with black socks n sock garters like the English wear and cleaning and oiling, whilst muttering, a gun of some kind. I suggest shotgun cause easier and, usually, longer so more visible. Tho a SKS, AK, AR etc.could also be effective n loading magazines or strips, using sundress sometimes to wipe or catch cartrigates that fall.

Jojo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 04, 2018, 08:52:07 PM
Pants on fire! :P
You're not making sense.  If you want a holy Creator, you need Jesus' redemption in order to be reunited...  Would you be more specific?  I never said I was perfect.  And I'm a Gentile, so the Ten Commandments weren't exactly written with me in mind.  Jesus said, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".  So, if I was a jerk, I would prefer to have someone deal squarely on that.  When Jesus said to turn the other cheek, experts believe he meant it only in situations where heaping shame on the perp would change the perp's behavior.  The word shame, I think, is part of the original language in Jesus' quote.  Most perps nowadays are shameless.  Rock, paper, scissors....  I win, MD.

Jojo

Quote from: ShayP on April 04, 2018, 08:03:15 AM
Do tell, PB!

Quote from: albrecht on April 03, 2018, 09:06:15 PM
Some of your techniques reminds me of this classic Greaseman bit. Hilarious stuff. Art, him, and Hendrie are the best radio guys ever.
I look forward to checking it out!  Thank you!

ksm32

Quote from: albrecht on April 04, 2018, 10:01:49 PM
Au Contaire. You wanna to run 'em off. Get a small foo-foo dog that yips all the time and bites heels. But  I'm still going with Shay in a Canary Yellow sundress with black socks n sock garters like the English wear and cleaning and oiling, whilst muttering, a gun of some kind. I suggest shotgun cause easier and, usually, longer so more visible. Tho a SKS, AK, AR etc.could also be effective n loading magazines or strips, using sundress sometimes to wipe or catch cartrigates that fall.

LMAO ;D Ok, fine. but I'm firm on the dogs name!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Jojo on April 04, 2018, 10:14:03 PM
You're not making sense.  If you want a holy Creator, you need Jesus' redemption in order to be reunited...  Would you be more specific?  I never said I was perfect.  And I'm a Gentile, so the Ten Commandments weren't exactly written with me in mind.  Jesus said, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".  So, if I was a jerk, I would prefer to have someone deal squarely on that.  When Jesus said to turn the other cheek, experts believe he meant it only in situations where heaping shame on the perp would change the perp's behavior.  The word shame, I think, is part of the original language in Jesus' quote.  Most perps nowadays are shameless.  Rock, paper, scissors....  I win, MD.

GravitySucks

Quote from: ksm32 on April 04, 2018, 10:58:23 PM
LMAO ;D Ok, fine. but I'm firm on the dogs name!

Mother?  Who names their dog Mother?

ksm32

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 04, 2018, 11:20:29 PM
So your mother's a cunt? Shame, on yoU.

Woof!!

GravitySucks

Quote from: ksm32 on April 05, 2018, 01:52:05 AM
So your mother's a cunt? Shame, on yoU.

Woof!!

I bet you thought that was hilarious every time you practiced it in front of your mirror. 

Kidnostad3

Officious assholes who start their answer to a question with “So,...” should have their tongue stapled to their left earlobe.  Just sayin’. 

Kidnostad3

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 04, 2018, 11:20:29 PM

Maybe that’s just the dog’s first name. 

ksm32

:D Thanks folks! I'll be here all week.

albrecht

Old gripes but saw today- at same time/line. People who bring craps loads of change to buy stuff- and not gas n bad situation but cigarettes, which are expensive. And guy was wearing a suit. (So guessing the keep off radar I'm smoking thing?)  A few trabajeros buy their beers. Then a fairly good looking gal who looks like she just woke up though (tats n look of stripper) uses a debit card to buy stuff. Doesnt work. Gripe two, though laborers n all got nice leering in, and some shaking of heads by other women in the now 10 deep line, she removed Doritos, and card worked. Cigs n Mountain Dew were essential, I guess?

People. Pay at pump. Or if using money and buying other crap- assure you have proper balance. Not hard to do. Or cash in your coins at bank, creditnunion, friggin grocety stores have them (tho fee.) But think of other people!  Stations- at peak times don't have staff smoking amd talking on cell phones but deal with customers!

Jojo

Staff and owners who don't shift their files when the files are so tight they rip up your cuticles.

Systems that walk employees right into errors, instead of preventing stupid errors.

Scheduling systems which say TODAY on every screen, regardless of what day is actually displayed.

H.R. departments that ask if you've had more than so many jobs in five years. It's a GIG economy!

Clients who don't check in with reception.

Clients who check in, saying their own name so poorly that even with a one in four multiple choice chance, the front desk can't tell which client they are.

Businesses that raise their prices prior to a deadline, like Valentines Day.  But who don't tell the truth when the customer asks why the cost was twice as much as last year!

Caregivers who snap and yell at their clients even when on the phone with a business... but who then act like St. Francis toward their elderly client in public.

Jojo

Quote from: albrecht on April 06, 2018, 11:17:07 PM
Old gripes but saw today- at same time/line. People who bring craps loads of change to buy stuff- and not gas n bad situation but cigarettes, which are expensive. And guy was wearing a suit. (So guessing the keep off radar I'm smoking thing?)  A few trabajeros buy their beers. Then a fairly good looking gal who looks like she just woke up though (tats n look of stripper) uses a debit card to buy stuff. Doesnt work. Gripe two, though laborers n all got nice leering in, and some shaking of heads by other women in the now 10 deep line, she removed Doritos, and card worked. Cigs n Mountain Dew were essential, I guess?

People. Pay at pump. Or if using money and buying other crap- assure you have proper balance. Not hard to do. Or cash in your coins at bank, creditnunion, friggin grocety stores have them (tho fee.) But think of other people!  Stations- at peak times don't have staff smoking amd talking on cell phones but deal with customers!
Mountain Dew is filled with caffeine.  So, yes, it was essential...😍

GravitySucks

Quote from: Jojo on April 07, 2018, 12:27:23 AM
Mountain Dew is filled with caffeine.  So, yes, it was essential...😍

I will never admit how many of those I let my son drink starting at age 3 because I thought only the colas had caffeine. I will never admit how old he was when I found out they had caffeine.

Jojo

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 07, 2018, 12:31:37 AM
I will never admit how many of those I let my son drink starting at age 3 because I thought only the colas had caffeine. I will never admit how old he was when I found out they had caffeine.
OMGoodness!  Yes, I remember when I found out, too.  It was 1989, and at first I didn't believe the person who to!d me!  Does your son weigh in on this now?

GravitySucks

Quote from: Jojo on April 07, 2018, 02:24:06 PM
OMGoodness!  Yes, I remember when I found out, too.  It was 1989, and at first I didn't believe the person who to!d me!  Does your son weigh in on this now?

He is 38 years old and doesn’t go anywhere without a liter bottle of Mt Dew.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 07, 2018, 02:31:28 PM

You gotta hook 'em while they're still young. The cigarette people knew this. ;)

GravitySucks

https://www.tictacusa.com/en/faq

This one is for jojo

TIL Tic Tacs are allowed to say they contain zero sugar even though they're almost entirely pure sugar -- because a single Tic Tac is 0.49 g and technically if a serving of a food contains < 0.5 g sugar you are allowed to round down to zero.

Jojo

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 07, 2018, 02:31:28 PM
I'm sorry, I couldn't help but laugh!  Hope his teeth hold up.  Just out of curiosity, does he drink coffee?

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 07, 2018, 06:48:18 PM
https://www.tictacusa.com/en/faq
This one is for jojo

TIL Tic Tacs are allowed to say they contain zero sugar even though they're almost entirely pure sugar -- because a single Tic Tac is 0.49 g and technically if a serving of a food contains < 0.5 g sugar you are allowed to round down to zero.
I remember being appalled when I learned that.  I've seen a few labeling tricks like that.  Does anyone ever just eat a couple Tic Tacs?

Taaroa

People asking me questions when they already know the answer will be no.