• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

ziznak

french heroes!!! who'd have thunk it... somehow you continue to generate interesting web reads.

Juan

Some criminal bastard named Bradley.  I was sound asleep at 12:30AM when I was awakened by loud pounding on the door and a flashlight shining through my window. I somehow forced my ancient, injured knees to work well enough to get to the door. It was a cop demanding to know my name.  I told him, and he asked if I knew someone named Bradley.  I told him no, and he turned and ran down my steps with no thank you, sorry to bother you, no nothing.
Then I was awake and had to listen to sNoory.

ItsOver

Quote from: UFO Fill on May 25, 2013, 09:18:52 AM

.....Then I was awake and had to listen to sNoory.

It didn't sound all that bad until you got to that part.  ;)

Wait....What?...
Fill...Fill, what's the rest of the shtooory??
Was it a real cop?  Did he ever find Bradley?  Did he knock on anyone else's door?  Was his walkie-talkie crackling?
???

Sounds to me like maybe a MIB and a portal somehow converged on your very doorstep!

Seriously though, would it have killed the guy to say, "Sorry to disturb you"?

Sardondi

Quote from: West of the Rockies on May 25, 2013, 03:26:00 PM
Sounds to me like maybe a MIB and a portal somehow converged on your very doorstep!

Seriously though, would it have killed the guy to say, "Sorry to disturb you"?
With Master Criminal Bradley on the loose?

stevesh

The fact that the assclowns at Hydroxycut sell enough of their worthless weight-loss snake oil that they can afford to sponsor a car at the Indy 500.

stevesh

Local news TV broadcasts which not only use up the whole half-hour of their time shrieking about a minor thunderstorm (with circles and arrows) but also use up the national network news slot with the same repetitive nonsense. Hicks.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: stevesh on May 28, 2013, 04:38:29 PM
Local news TV broadcasts which not only use up the whole half-hour of their time shrieking about a minor thunderstorm (with circles and arrows) but also use up the national network news slot with the same repetitive nonsense. Hicks.
And seemingly disappointed they didn't get a tornado or flood like those lucky bastards in Oklahoma or Texas. Damn, that's how you win local Emmys! They got the shaft.

coaster

Local news in general is garbage. The Weather Channel is no better. They are ridiculed by every legitimate weather organization for their 'naming of storms'. Anyone remember last winter's 'Snow Storm Bob"? Me neither. They showed the same footage of that Oklahoma tornado for days on end with absolutely nothing new to report. They dwell on death and destruction for ratings.

ItsOver

One of the local radio weather-casters is actually pretty good.  He pretty much just sticks to the weather forecast and is usually pretty accurate.  It really bugs him with The Weather Channel naming winter storms.

Eddie Coyle

Possible "heat wave" forecasted in Boston this weekend. Which means:

(1) Inevitable power outages, causing my already annoying neighbors to pour into the street with their mutant offspring and be noisier than usual.

(2) I'll curse my ancestors, make classy references to sweating my balls off and how much the sun sucks, ask M' lady why she chose this week to buy the most obvious perishable foods...she'll say she was thinking barbecue, I'll say I was thinking blackout(the electric company kind) and insist on her buying nothing but canned goods  the rest of the summer.

(3) After a few hours, I'll flee the domicile and while out walking encounter 5-6 layabouts "working" in front of a manhole cover. As they stare aimlessly shooting the shit, I'll loudly give a mock cheer of "good work, fellas!!"...the overweight cop on a detail overseeing this "work site" will give me the "alright, buddy move it along"...

(4) I'll turn to no one in particular and say "and this donut-chomping fat fuck is making 45 bucks an hour watching these assholes making 30 bucks an hour standing there doing nothing"...and surely make references to Chechen sleeper cells proliferating while cops occupy Dunkin' Donuts and Wendy's.

(5) I end up going home, taking my warm beer to the beach and stew in my juices until the beer is gone.

Eating a hot pot pie and burning my tongue is pretty damn annoying to me.
Turkey pot pie btw.

Glad I didn't leave it in my mouth or I might not be able to fucking breathe for three days.

ziznak

quick... get a flashlight... we want pics!!! haven't you learned anything from the pizza roll fiasco?

Okay, I'm not extremely annoyed about this, but is anyone else getting a little tired of Flo, the woman in the insurance commercials?  Some corporate spokesmen grow tiresome.  Remember the sort of slacker/stoner guy who was the face of Dell Computers for a time?  I think he disappeared under a dark cloud of marijuana smoke after getting busted for pot possession.  (Yeah, like who could possibly have seen that coming?)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: West of the Rockies on May 30, 2013, 01:36:57 PM
Okay, I'm not extremely annoyed about this, but is anyone else getting a little tired of Flo, the woman in the insurance commercials?  Some corporate spokesmen grow tiresome. 

beyond the fact that i find her revolting, progressive as a company just suuuuucks.  way overpriced.  i saved over 50% (with a better level of coverage, too) by  switching my auto insurance to AAA.  anyone who hasn't checked them out should do so.  tomorrow.  no point in pouring your money down the shitter.

Quote from: West of the Rockies on May 30, 2013, 01:36:57 PM
Remember the sort of slacker/stoner guy who was the face of Dell Computers for a time?  I think he disappeared under a dark cloud of marijuana smoke after getting busted for pot possession.  (Yeah, like who could possibly have seen that coming?)

exactly.  they fired him for actually being what he portrayed in their commercials.  i know it sounds waaay simplistic from a business analysis standpoint, but i think firing him was possibly one of the biggest mistakes dell has ever made.  can you recall a single dell commercial since that kid was canned?  of course you can't.  nobody else can, either... which i think partially explains dell's stock price and their desire to become a privately held company again.  i think dell is possibly one of the most horribly run companies in the world.  what they've squandered would make even jack whittaker blush.

BobGrau

One minute yer up... the next yer right back down again.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: BobGrau on May 31, 2013, 06:38:56 AM

Indeed. It's why I've anchored myself down. I'm tired of the rollercoaster.

BobGrau

Quote from: BobGrau on May 31, 2013, 06:38:56 AM

Actually it doesn't seem so bad a couple hours later.

ziznak

I still wanna bang flo I don't care what anybody says.

stevesh

Quote from: ziznak on May 31, 2013, 12:45:04 PM
I still wanna bang flo I don't care what anybody says.

Me too, but a ball gag would be required.

Sardondi

Meh, not sure about "annoy". Disgust? Delight even? Put it down to schadenfreude - 8 arrested at a Cleveland kindergarten graduation in a brawl which began over spilled punch: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/31/18657765-8-arrested-after-brawl-at-kindergarten-graduation?lite

The only thing which could have made it better is if it had been graduation from charm school. At least then we might have found out if the ladies used the socially proper pinkie-finger-lift when they gripped the metal pipe and claw hammer which were used in the melee.

Eddie Coyle

That I have this pathological self deprecation/minimalization that doesn't allow my accepting any compliments.
        For instance: Today, somebody says "hey, you've lost weight"...instead of me simply saying thanks or explaining that I been exercising more, I say..."Uh, I got AIDS"

Which gets the intended laugh, but it's always a reminder to the person whom I speaking that I'm a screwball. Which they probably never forgot anyway, but just in case the idea or possibility that any maturity has somehow fell upon me, they're disabused of that notion.

analog kid

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 01, 2013, 03:33:48 PM
       That I have this pathological self deprecation/minimalization that doesn't allow my accepting any compliments.
        For instance: Today, somebody says "hey, you've lost weight"...instead of me simply saying thanks or explaining that I been exercising more, I say..."Uh, I got AIDS"

Which gets the intended laugh, but it's always a reminder to the person whom I speaking that I'm a screwball. Which they probably never forgot anyway, but just in case the idea or possibility that any maturity has somehow fell upon me, they're disabused of that notion.

But IMO, that's a quality and not a fault. I mean, it's those narcissists who live for those kinds of compliments, who take themselves too seriously, who also can't take the slightest bit of criticism. They're the ones you have to watch out for -- the ones who would sell your organs to the Chinese mafia for a Snickers.

Not bitter at all.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: analog kid on June 01, 2013, 04:30:12 PM
But IMO, that's a quality and not a fault. I mean, it's those narcissists who live for those kinds of compliments, who take themselves too seriously, who also can't take the slightest bit of criticism. They're the ones you have to watch out for -- the ones who would sell your organs to the Chinese mafia for a Snickers.

Not bitter at all.
Yeah, I'm probably annoyed that not enough people use my tactics. Maybe that's what makes me feel odd. The compliment fishers get a seaweed boot full of fish shit from me, I have a brother in law who does it constantly and I either ignore him or mock him.

analog kid

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 01, 2013, 06:28:50 PM
         Yeah, I'm probably annoyed that not enough people use my tactics. Maybe that's what makes me feel odd. The compliment fishers get a seaweed boot full of fish shit from me, I have a brother in law who does it constantly and I either ignore him or mock him.

Yeah exactly. I have a brother who does that to manipulate people, and it works all too well.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: analog kid on June 01, 2013, 07:30:47 PM
Yeah exactly. I have a brother who does that to manipulate people, and it works all too well.
What annoys me is that many of my relatives can't stand it either, but I'm the only prick willing to let him know it. And predictably, I have the least interaction with him. Decent kid..but constantly seeking praise for the mundane.

analog kid

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 01, 2013, 09:10:34 PM
       What annoys me is that many of my relatives can't stand it either, but I'm the only prick willing to let him know it. And predictably, I have the least interaction with him. Decent kid..but constantly seeking praise for the mundane.

If you aren't helping the narcissist enhance their self image, they have no use for you. Which is not to say your brother in law is a narcissist. That would be my family...

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: analog kid on June 01, 2013, 10:05:52 PM
If you aren't helping the narcissist enhance their self image, they have no use for you. Which is not to say your brother in law is a narcissist. That would be my family...
Best of both worlds...I have NPD cases in my family and by marriage! Yay. My former mother in law is in the NPD Hall of Fame.

analog kid

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 01, 2013, 10:50:57 PM
        Best of both worlds...I have NPD cases in my family and by marriage! Yay. My former mother in law is in the NPD Hall of Fame.

Everyone in my family has NPD in the extreme. I have family members who lose their minds at the slightest criticism. Or you can inadvertently challenge their sense of self while trying to make conversation, and they'll have a mental meltdown, or hate you with the venomous poison of a thousand cobras. I wish I were exaggerating. Funny thing is about the person with NPD, they're absolutely unaware of it. There doesn't seem to be any earnest self analyzing going on, or self criticism. Like it's all fantasy and delusion all the time. When a crack in their fantasy world appears, it's time to find people to impress with their awesomeness, or to get the attention and sympathy they desperately need. And of course, they'll instinctively throw you under the buss to obtain those things.

/still not bitter