• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

Juan

Quote from: onan on March 10, 2013, 05:12:41 PM
Some simplistic searching comes up with the US using 20 million barrels of oil a day, DST saves 10000 barrels a day. 1/200 of our usage saved... fuck, I feel better.
I wonder how that can be.  To me it seems like trying to make a blanket longer by cutting 6-inches off the foot and sewing it on the head.

I never reset my clocks.  I consider it an interesting mental exercise to remember which clock is set to standard time and which to daylight time.

Quote from: UFO Fill on March 10, 2013, 06:09:09 PM
I wonder how that can be.  To me it seems like trying to make a blanket longer by cutting 6-inches off the foot and sewing it on the head.

I never reset my clocks.  I consider it an interesting mental exercise to remember which clock is set to standard time and which to daylight time.

I love daylight saving time.  I can go out and do stuff after wotk in the daylight, like a short hike or mountain bike.  Let's make it 2 hours.  Ok, 3.

ziznak

lol... somebody tried to tell me they lost an hour today.  I was just like what the fuck... if I don't have to physically change a clock, which nobody really should have to do any more... then how would I even notice? 

after all... time is relative... right?

Eddie Coyle

Websites like ESPN.com, IMDB, Media-ite, where there's more exposure to viri than a goddamned Port Au Prince whorehouse. More pop ups than Dave Kingman facing Joe Niekro.

ItsOver

What annoys me is when I'm at a stoplight, with several cars in front of me and I miss the green light because some nitwit in front of me is to slow to recognize the light has changed to green because they're playing with their Iphone, Android, idiot-box of some sort.   >:(

ponyboysunset

Hate the time change. Can't sleep!>:(

onan

top 10 lists.
top 10 lists that make you load a new page for every item.
people that make top 10 lists.

stevesh

Convenience store clerks who aren't able to chat with their friends and ring your stuff up at the same time.

Sardondi

Quote from: stevesh on March 12, 2013, 08:37:05 AM
Convenience store clerks who aren't able to chat with their friends and ring your stuff up at the same time.

...but who insist on doing it anyway.

Usagi

The shingles.  What 30 year old gets the shingles?  This is absurd in every way.  I need a vacation.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Usagi on March 12, 2013, 06:40:46 PM
The shingles.  What 30 year old gets the shingles?  This is absurd in every way.  I need a vacation.
I should say waka,waka,waka for this:

Usagi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on March 12, 2013, 06:56:04 PM
          I should say waka,waka,waka for this:

Uggh.  I hate you.

I don't know what's worse... the discomfort, the nasty-ass medication, or the name of it.

No, the name is the worst part.  Just.  Gross.  I used to chortle at the "Shingles Vaccine" signs at the drug store.  "Eww!  Shingles.  Who get's THAT?!"  Okay, so, I'll still laugh... but cry a little on the inside.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Usagi on March 12, 2013, 07:01:07 PM

Uggh.  I hate you.

I don't know what's worse... the discomfort, the nasty-ass medication, or the name of it.

No, the name is the worst part.  Just.  Gross.  I used to chortle at the "Shingles Vaccine" signs at the drug store.  "Eww!  Shingles.  Who get's THAT?!"  Okay, so, I'll still laugh... but cry a little on the inside.
All of it seems terrible. I've never had 'em(yet) but my cousin's husband has had them repeatedly. It looks extraordinarily painful. So painful that I actually didn't even make fun of him, out of fear that in retaliation our "creator" would give them to me in sensitive areas.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on March 12, 2013, 07:08:07 PM
       All of it seems terrible. I've never had 'em(yet) but my cousin's husband has had them repeatedly. It looks extraordinarily painful. So painful that I actually didn't even make fun of him, out of fear that in retaliation our "creator" would give them to me in sensitive areas.
On the way in the house at 3:45 PM, I got a 15 minute update on the Papal Conclave from my unbiased Opus Dei uncle. At 4:05 PM, I get an endless(20 minute) update on NASA finding water on Mars from M'Lady. I asked if it was Holy Water, hoping to derail the "conversation" but dammit, she kept rolling along.
**( Had I been quicker I would have said "has Mickey Mouse grown up a cow?'...but I get enough blank stares already. )

Oh, how I wish they were strangers so I could have rudely walked away from them after 30 seconds of each of those conversations.

stevesh

People who dog-ear the pages of library books.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: stevesh on March 13, 2013, 09:37:14 AM

Agreed. Dog ear your own books. Debbie Downer types annoy me. We all go through rough things, but being a downer everyday is annoying.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: stevesh on March 13, 2013, 09:37:14 AM
Even worse are those who do it in bookstores. The shitballs who treat Barnes and Nobles like a library, sprawled on the floor obliviously reading a novel. Not moving an inch. Very common activity in Boston and Cambridge with infinite student/homeless populace.

Security cameras are the only thing keeping me from stomping them to death. My heart says do it, my mind says...do it as well.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on March 13, 2013, 09:57:49 AM
        Even worse are those who do it in bookstores. The shitballs who treat Barnes and Nobles like a library, sprawled on the floor obliviously reading a novel. Not moving an inch. Very common activity in Boston and Cambridge with infinite student/homeless populace.

Security cameras are the only thing keeping me from stomping them to death. My heart says do it, my mind says...do it as well.

This drives me nuts. As an aspiring author, the least you could do is pay for my book if you are going to read it. I don't mind people thumbing through, but I couldn't agree with you more on that subject.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ponyboysunset on March 13, 2013, 10:02:21 AM

This drives me nuts. As an aspiring author, the least you could do is pay for my book if you are going to read it. I don't mind people thumbing through, but I couldn't agree with you more on that subject.
I've growled more than a few times to these types "it ain't a fuckin' library". Unfortunately, the B&N I go to in downtown Boston is quite large, with a steady flow of people...so this activity is rampant and nothing is done to prevent it. And they have a cafe section, where these free loaders can sit for hours unchecked.

It's bad enough that authors have to deal with Internet encroachment, but these parasitic bums in the "bricks and mortar" venues are even worse.

* I purchased book awhile ago and when I reached about page 130, there were discernable thumb prints(greasy) and a few pages later some type of beverage stain. I hope it was a beverage. Pissed me off royally.

Quote from: ponyboysunset on March 13, 2013, 10:02:21 AM

What do authors think about the actual libraries themselves, and the used bookstores?

ponyboysunset

Quote from: Paper*Boy on March 13, 2013, 10:50:28 AM

What do authors think about the actual libraries themselves, and the used bookstores?

I'm okay with libraries and used book stores and use both myself. So I see the hypocrisy of my the above statement. I guess for me if you are in a retail establish you shouldn't be free loading. Do your free loading at the library like everyone else. ( Paperboy, you see here, I have no argument, hence I am trying to find one..lol)

McPhallus

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on March 13, 2013, 10:43:02 AM
And they have a cafe section, where these free loaders can sit for hours unchecked.

...and chat for hours on their phones, watch movies on their laptops, all the while never ordering a drink or food.

McPhallus

Quote from: Paper*Boy on March 13, 2013, 10:50:28 AM

I have a feeling neither are long for this world.  Remember used CD stores?  They used to grow on trees.  Libraries will likely have to reinvent themselves.

McPhallus

Quote from: ponyboysunset on March 13, 2013, 11:00:49 AM

I'm okay with libraries and used book stores and use both myself. So I see the hypocrisy of my the above statement. I guess for me if you are in a retail establish you shouldn't be free loading. Do your free loading at the library like everyone else. ( Paperboy, you see here, I have no argument, hence I am trying to find one..lol)

Reminds me of the homeless people who used to hang out at my old university library.  They'd sit at the computers and play games on Yahoo all day long* until the staff started to require an ID to use any of the machines.

* I'm sure this activity and the underlying sense of entitlement have no connection to why those people were homeless.  Purely coincidental.

ItsOver

Barnes and Noble..... the Starbucks "library."  ::)   Borders is no more, I wonder how much longer B&N will be around.  I wonder if part of the reason for the downturn in real estate is because so many are now living at Starbucks.

Quote from: ponyboysunset on March 13, 2013, 11:00:49 AM

I wouldn't want to buy a book someone's had on the floor or dribbled coffee on, yet I buy plenty used and at library sales. 

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: McPhallus on March 13, 2013, 11:07:17 AM

...and chat for hours on their phones, watch movies on their laptops, all the while never ordering a drink or food.
That would be overly fascistic to expect these creeps to actually buy something. I wish B&N were owned by Albanian pizza shop owners I know: "you don't buy, you get the fuck out my place,ok"

Pragmier

The [apparent] eventual passing of print establishments is depressing. I must confess to having read in bookstore coffee shops; it's why I feel the need to purchase food/drink and if after about 10min I'm still reading I buy the book.

ItsOver

Hahahaha...B&N and Starbucks need a "coffee shop Nazi."  "No coffee for you!!!  You...out of my place!!!"