• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

ChewMouse

I saw a girl texting on a phone yesterday; she walked right into a car.

The car was parked or this would've been a longer story.

Quote from: ChewMouse on February 16, 2013, 06:04:41 PM

There was a story today in the Guardian or some other rag about teens that are now texting while asleep  :(

Quote from: onan on February 16, 2013, 03:17:13 PM
... We have become a collection of impulse driven morons with the self delusion that what we have to say needs to be seen, read or heard this very moment...

People walking along, head down, completely oblivious, texting or reading texts.  I could never figure out what so many had going on to text about constantly (sort of like an earlier age when everyone seemed to have their ear glued to their cell phones). 

I think Onan just explained about  95% of it.  And they want to do it while driving too, sheeesh.

I am annoyed by people who use the internet to self reinforce beliefs instead of using the greatest information tool ever developed to expand beliefs and test whether their basic facts are actually correct.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ChewMouse on February 16, 2013, 06:04:41 PM

There is a section of Boston that is a confluence of students from BC/BU/Northeastern and seemingly all of them walk with their eyes looking down at their various devices. This section of town has active trolley tracks and four lane traffic. There is a story a day about somebody 17-22 years old being struck by some vehicle. Which was probably operated by someone looking at their device.

HAL 9000

Quote from: somatic hypermutation on February 16, 2013, 06:25:17 PMI am annoyed by people who use the internet to self reinforce beliefs instead of using the greatest information tool ever developed to expand beliefs and test whether their basic facts are actually correct.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 17, 2013, 12:10:10 AM
      There is a section of Boston that is a confluence of students from BC/BU/Northeastern and...

Many years ago I was in Boston for a week. I swear I thought we were going to land on an aircraft carrier or some postage-stamp-sized patch of land for an airport. (Ate prime rib at Durgin Park two nights in a row, and was recognized the 2nd night by one of the famously feisty waitresses who pointed me out and told the entire restaurant I had tipped her $1.11 - unfortunately it was true, but it was a terrible mistake, which I made up for, which of course she did not tell the restaurant). Anyway, I remember near the Parker House hotel there was a subway station which was pyramid like, but so squat, dreary and utilitarian that I internally dubbed it "The Mayan Führerbunker". Does any of that sound right?

Quote from: HAL 9000 on February 17, 2013, 12:13:39 AM
The two are not mutually exclusive.

True, but no person is right all the time, thus if you never find out you are completely wrong on anything, or never find a source others think shows bias never does, well...

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on February 17, 2013, 12:28:35 AM
Many years ago I was in Boston for a week. I swear I thought we were going to land on an aircraft carrier or some postage-stamp-sized patch of land for an airport. (Ate prime rib at Durgin Park two nights in a row, and was recognized the 2nd night by one of the famously feisty waitresses who pointed me out and told the entire restaurant I had tipped her $1.11 - unfortunately it was true, but it was a terrible mistake, which I made up for, which of course she did not tell the restaurant). Anyway, I remember near the Parker House hotel there was a subway station which was pyramid like, but so squat, dreary and utilitarian that I internally dubbed it "The Mayan Führerbunker". Does any of that sound right?
Yes, Logan Airport, I live in it's final approach area on Boston Harbor, and it's a major miracle that they haven't had a plane go into the water since Jan 23, 1982. Not much room for error. I've long thought the American version of the 1977 Tenerife Disaster would almost certainly occur here. I played Little League in a Shea Stadium-like field in South Boston, where you can see seemingly 8-10 planes landing in and around each other in a span of 2-3 minutes.

I'm guessing that dank subway was either State Street, Park Street or Government Center(all three within 2 blocks). They are squalid, look like they are out of an Ed Wood film, and unlikely to fall victim to improvement.

It's worth mentioning that Boston has had three mayors since 1967.

Caruthers612

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 14, 2013, 11:50:35 PM
       I'd rather fall down a flight of 12,000 steps than be stuck in a room with a proselytizing "12 stepper". Forgive me for being able to hold my liquor and not accrue DUI's.

Well said. I deplore all forms of moralizing and activism. I also deplore multiculturalism, political correctness, and universal suffrage. And fat chicks. :-0

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Caruthers612 on February 17, 2013, 01:00:34 AM

Well said. I deplore all forms of moralizing and activism. I also deplore multiculturalism, political correctness, and universal suffrage. And fat chicks. :-0
I refuse to let others ruin my hermitic,myopic,monochromatic existence with their whimsical promises of change and amelioration.

onan

Quote from: somatic hypermutation on February 16, 2013, 06:25:17 PM
I am annoyed by people who use the internet to self reinforce beliefs instead of using the greatest information tool ever developed to expand beliefs and test whether their basic facts are actually correct.

A very good read called "the Shallows" kind of discusses this topic.

There is no scholarship on the internet. No real vetting of internet sources. It is a collage of popular information, not necessarily true but does get a lot of hits.

And, generally speaking our egos are more vested in being right than really understanding an issue. Hence we have quackery in more places than shit in an untended stable.

onan

AA is taking a bad hit here. And maybe rightfully so. To my mind that is because all mental illnesses have a finger in another mental illness.

Drunks aren't drunks just because they like the taste of warm flat beer. They are also one or a mix of other emotional/cognitive problems. People often self medicate when they are confronted with emotional conflicts they have no coping skill to effectively use.

What I find faulty with the position that AA is bad because uncle joe is an asshole and he is a believer in AA, therefore AA must suck. Fuck me, you wouldn't let uncle joe fix your breakfast but his behavior is what you use to make a vital decision about sobriety.

Granted, many that drink even heavily are not alcoholics. And proselytizers are some of the worst swill out there. AA has been filled with borderlines since probably the organization had 2 members. And it is also overran with religious zealots that have caused some serious rot in 12 steps.

But without the 12 steps these assholes would still be there. 

Quote from: onan on February 17, 2013, 03:43:27 AM
... There is no scholarship on the internet. No real vetting of internet sources. It is a collage of popular information, not necessarily true but does get a lot of hits.

And, generally speaking our egos are more vested in being right than really understanding an issue. Hence we have quackery in more places than shit in an untended stable.

That is all true.  I would add though that if a person is interested in some topic or idea or event they can turn to the internet and find an almost endless number of views, commentary, and facts - from ALL sides, not just one side like before, and not just what the 2 parties want put out.  With the rise of the internet - and yes, talk radio - CBS, PBS, ABC, NBC, CNN, the NY Times and the rest of the mainstream papers, Time, and Newsweek, and all the rest lost their monopoly on the news and disemination of political opinion  - since at least Watergate, if not Viet Nam, these institutions have been wholly owned subsidiaries of the Democrat Party.

People can sift through all of it and decide for themselves now.  They have to decide for themselves the validity of what they find, but that's always been the case.  A person with an open mind is better able to make informed decisions, even change their mind from time to time.  Of course, as always, plenty of people are just going to seek validation as well.  But at least all sides of everything are easily available to those who seek it. 

Unfortunately it's still too easy for the people that don't care and aren't really interested to watch a few minutes of TV news every 4 years and vote accordingly.

Juan

Quote from: onan on February 17, 2013, 03:54:09 AM
Drunks aren't drunks just because they like the taste of warm flat beer. They are also one or a mix of other emotional/cognitive problems. People often self medicate when they are confronted with emotional conflicts they have no coping skill to effectively use.
Back when I was getting allergy shots years ago, I was friends with a recovering alcoholic.  We discussed our problems, and I was struck by how his reactions to alcohol were so similar to my allergies.  Particularly how his taking a drink, or my eating something I'm allergic to, actually relieved the ill symptoms for a while.

onan

Quote from: UFO Fill on February 17, 2013, 04:52:55 AM
Back when I was getting allergy shots years ago, I was friends with a recovering alcoholic.  We discussed our problems, and I was struck by how his reactions to alcohol were so similar to my allergies.  Particularly how his taking a drink, or my eating something I'm allergic to, actually relieved the ill symptoms for a while.

Our bodies as complex and fascinating as they are, have very similar coping mechanisms for almost all stressors. I often explain to patients, I can spin around and get dizzy, sometimes nauseous, and I might throw up. I can become overheated, I will get dizzy, sometimes nauseous and I might throw up. I can be breath in certain gasses and I will get dizzy, sometimes nauseous and I might throw up. Three very different events all leading to very similar responses.

Allergies are immune system responses. the theory for allergy shots is expose the body to allergens so the body can produce antibodies to decrease allergic symptoms. So simply put exposure to allergens will, if done properly will alleviate symptoms.

Alcohol on the other hand, messes with neurotransmitters. Long term use can severely impact the balance between excitatory and inhibitory neurotransmitters.
Long term use of alcohol will cause the body to require alcohol to maintain a balance of neurotransmitters.

stevesh

What I find faulty with the position that AA is bad because uncle joe is an asshole and he is a believer in AA, therefore AA must suck. Fuck me, you wouldn't let uncle joe fix your breakfast but his behavior is what you use to make a vital decision about sobriety.

My experience with 12-step advocates, especially those for whom the program works, is that they tend to be humbled by, and grateful for, the assistance. I have run into the occassional asshole as described above, but most such people would be assholes if they had never taken a drink.

Caruthers612

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 17, 2013, 01:29:33 AM
           I refuse to let others ruin my hermitic,myopic,monochromatic existence with their whimsical promises of change and amelioration.

Quite right, especially since they inevitably demand that I pay for their hope and change, despite the fact that I vote against it in every election, while they themselves generally pay a grand total of $1.56 in taxes. Now, to continue my earlier theme, I loathe and abhor all references to race and ethnicity and--oh, how could I have forgotten this one--the word community. <sigh> Gawds, would someone please banish that one. Now where was I...Oh yes. Environmentalism, animal rights, women's rights, gay rights, and <gag, puke, choke> global warming. Women's right to own property, inherit and their claim to half their husband's assets. The waste of the television dial with loads of drivel, the celebrating of stupid people and their crap art while real and awesome works of art and those who create them are ignored till well after the artist's death. Lack of literacy and the inability to use the English language. The fact that English as our official language is not enforced. At gunpoint. Failed schools where lower mammals posing as teachers confuse children and use their positions to indoctrinate said kiddies politcally. Uh...oh yes: thin lips. I call it white girl syndrome. I mean, occasionally you get nice, plump lips on a white babe, like Angelina, but generally I stick to my sisters from Latin America and Asia for labial satisfaction. As it were.

The General

AA is taking a bad hit here. And maybe rightfully so. To my mind that is because all mental illnesses have a finger in another mental illness.

Granted, many that drink even heavily are not alcoholics. And proselytizers are some of the worst swill out there. AA has been filled with borderlines since probably the organization had 2 members. And it is also overran with religious zealots that have caused some serious rot in 12 steps.

But without the 12 steps these assholes would still be there.
I've seen AA work miracles on people that were truly fucked up and had (what I thought to be) no hope of becoming a normal, functioning person ever again.  So, I'm glad that it's out there. 

That being said, AA proselytizers need to embrace the anonymous part of it and leave us non-addicts alone. 

I do, however, disagree with one of their main tenets: that an addict is powerless to control their own behavior.  The addict is the ONLY one that has the power to control their behavior.  I don't buy into the whole 'addiction is a disease' bullshit.  That's something that was invented so that insurance would cover 'treatment' for a 'disease.'  Anyway, if AA works for you, knock yourself out.  But I just don't want to hear about it. 

Eddie Coyle

I was just lectured for not watching Downton Abbey(sic?), and since that I don't watch it, I'm apparently no longer allowed to complain about how much TV sucks.

My attempts at humor didn't really help, "I thought it was Down-town Abbey, and since I don't watch BET..." 

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 17, 2013, 10:42:32 PM
          I was just lectured for not watching Downton Abbey(sic?), and since that I don't watch it, I'm apparently no longer allowed to complain about how much TV sucks....

Speaking of which, DA was another example of a wonderful show as originally conceived and executed, which the suits' hunger for cashing in on turned into dog's vomit. By the time of Season 3 DA was shamelessly pimped out as "Days Of Our Lives" with a Brit accent and a noble title. They turned it into an unwatchable soap opera, jamming a decade's worth of predictable soap opera tricks into a mere 10 or so episodes. Season 3 could have been put into ABC/CBS/NBC's daytime lineup and no one would have noticed. All it was missing was an organ playing dramatic chords when someone became pregnant or lost their memory, and Johnson & Johnson as a sponsor. Stand by in season 4 for more returns from the dead, yet more comas, more amnesia and surprise children. A disgusting display.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on February 17, 2013, 11:13:29 PM
Speaking of which, DA was another example of a wonderful show as originally conceived and executed, which the suits' hunger for cashing in on turned into dog's vomit. By the time of Season 3 DA was shamelessly pimped out as "Days Of Our Lives" with a Brit accent and a noble title. They turned it into an unwatchable soap opera, jamming a decade's worth of predictable soap opera tricks into a mere 10 or so episodes. Season 3 could have been put into ABC/CBS/NBC's daytime lineup and no one would have noticed. All it was missing was an organ playing dramatic chords when someone became pregnant or lost their memory, and Johnson & Johnson as a sponsor. Stand by in season 4 for more returns from the dead, yet more comas, more amnesia and surprise children. A disgusting display.
Damn that's disappointing, because I want an Anglicized "Bold and the Beautiful" not "Days of Our Lives". I watched 7 munutes of Downton Abbey last season, mentioned how I'd already seen this episode in 1981...as a then decade-old re-run of Upstairs/Downstairs.

Truth be told, I have not any patience for TV series anymore. I think getting strung along by "The Sopranos" in particular, completely turned me off. Yeah, that's the ticket! David Chase's frittering in 2002 has caused me suffering. I think Time-Warner needs to remunerate me for this malady.

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 17, 2013, 11:30:01 PM
      Damn that's disappointing, because I want an Anglicized "Bold and the Beautiful" not "Days of Our Lives". I watched 7 munutes of Downton Abbey last season, mentioned how I'd already seen this episode in 1981...as a then decade-old re-run of Upstairs/Downstairs.

Truth be told, I have not any patience for TV series anymore. I think getting strung along by "The Sopranos" in particular, completely turned me off. Yeah, that's the ticket! David Chase's frittering in 2002 has caused me suffering. I think Time-Warner needs to remunerate me for this malady.

My general views of The Sopranos, that I know the world is dying to know. I loved The Sopranos at first, with my interest gradually declining each season, until by the end I was so sick of getting shows dribbled out to me that I lost interest. I was contemptuous of Carmela Soprano and felt she had no claim to any sympathy as long as she luxuriated in the booty of her husband's corruption and bloodlust. I wanted to shoot Janice myself just to shut that whining, self-pitying mouth. The world and the Soprano family would have been a better place if Anthony Jr. had been drowned at birth. Ditto Christufuh. Ditto Tony Sr., but only after he was able to take out the Phil Leotardo/Johnny Sack crew first. Could've watched the show if it was just following Silvio, Paulie and Bobby Baccalieri.

The final scene? Tony, Carm and AJ were killed as they sat in the booth when Members Only jacket and the two black guys caught them in a crossfire of over 50 rounds from 9mm pistols. Meadow avoided being killed only because of her terrible parking skills as the killers pushed by her on their way out.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on February 16, 2013, 06:12:59 PM

People walking along, head down, completely oblivious, texting or reading texts.  I could never figure out what so many had going on to text about constantly (sort of like an earlier age when everyone seemed to have their ear glued to their cell phones). 

I think Onan just explained about  95% of it.  And they want to do it while driving too, sheeesh.

What's the weirdest sort of distracted driving that you've seen?  Of course, we've all seen people wolfing burgers and such.  I've seen people reading maps and books.  I've twice seen women painting their toenails!  In fact, my wife and I were struck from behind last summer (a slow-speed collision, thankfully) by a woman who'd just lotioned-up her feet.  One of those now silky-soft feet apparently slipped off the break and she whacked us. 

Back in my law enforcement days, our traffic sergeant was killled off-duty when he was trying to find a CD and smashed into the back of a parked lumber-truck.  Of all the people you'd think have known better....

davidk26212

The MTV show "Buck wild" and suburban hicks in general. I don't know about every one else but were I live we seems to be invested by them.

Eddie Coyle

These sites like E-Harmony or Match.com. Those places have a strong whiff of cult mentality in seeking out partners of certain ilk, it's reminds me of the Moonies...and there's also a significant dose of solipsism, "I'm looking to marry...me". I don't get it.

And frankly, on a compatibilty scale, a screwball like me is to be matched with a Squeaky Fromme type. I can find my own kooks, thank you. And do.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 18, 2013, 04:11:49 PM
"I'm looking to marry...me". I don't get it.

exactly.  that shit is all rooted in a fundamentally flawed premise which suggests the more similar someone is to me, the more likely i am to want them around for a lifetime.  i've got news: while i'm not suicidal or a cutter, i generally hate myself in numerous ways.  i'm not looking to room up with someone who validates and accentuates every horrible characteristic of my own personality.

edit:  my own marriage is anecdotal evidence of how dumb those sites are.  we have almost zilch in common with one another... almost literally nothing... and we're best friends coming up on 6 years of marriage.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: MV on February 18, 2013, 04:22:49 PMi've got news: while i'm not suicidal or a cutter, i generally hate myself in numerous ways.  i'm not looking to room up with someone who validates and accentuates every horrible characteristic of my own personality.

I can totally relate to this.  If I had to spend day in and day out with someone just like me, there would likely be a murder-suicide event.  My husband and I have some things in common, but personality wise, we're totally different.  He's most comfortable giving speeches in front of hundreds of people.  I'm completely shy.  He's easy going and doesn't worry very much.  My life is an ongoing existential crisis.  We've managed to keep it together for 18 years of marriage and 20 years of being together.   

Usagi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 18, 2013, 04:11:49 PM

These sites like E-Harmony or Match.com. Those places have a strong whiff of cult mentality in seeking out partners of certain ilk, it's reminds me of the Moonies

A few years ago, I was a docent for a historic house tour of the "Moonie Headquarters" in Seattle.  So, I got to roam around their house, basically.  It was a bit surreal.  They were nice for the most part (mostly Germans from the ones I met), but I would definitely say a bit more secretive than most historic house owners I've dealt with.  A lot of closed doors... and some dormitory-like thing in the attic that we didn't get to see, with people that never came down.  They didn't hide the little shrine thing to Sun Myung Moon, though.  Interesting experience.  Their kitchen was tiny for cooking for so many people... 

coaster

Anyone who has to rely on singles websites to meet someone needs to leave their house once in a while.