• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ChewMouse on January 08, 2013, 06:40:52 PM
So true!

Remember that series of TV commercials with, I think, Robert Young saying, "I'm not a doctor, but I played one on TV--"?

It reminds me of that.

I think it was Charles Siebert, aka Dr Stanley Riverside, from Trapper John MD, who did those commercials, circa 1982...but maybe not, I switched to St Elsewhere when that debuted. I get my fake doctors mixed up every now and then.

My Great-grandfather(my mother's mother's father) died during the Influenza outbreak in 1918. By proxy, I'm making myself an authority. My verdict is: Yes, HorrorRetro has the flu. I hope you feel better. It sucks. No matter what it's called.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ChewMouse on January 08, 2013, 06:40:52 PM
So true!

Remember that series of TV commercials with, I think, Robert Young saying, "I'm not a doctor, but I played one on TV--"?

It reminds me of that.

Quote from: Sardondi on January 08, 2013, 06:50:39 PM
But to be driven to shrilly claiming "I was married to a doctor" is such a total embarrassment that even to recognize it as a "false appeal to authority" makes me break into giggles. Wow. Pud must be tired. Or have the un-flu.

idunno.  i think a lot of people do incorrectly refer to a cold as the flu.  the word flu seems like it should refer to a life threatening illness, or at least borderline life threatening.  a cold is the sniffles in bed.

and i also don't find entirely crazy the notion of some amount of medical knowledge rubbing off on a physician's spouse.  naturally, the physician is going to talk about work frequently, so i'd think it would be difficult not to learn a thing or two.

BobGrau

No offence intended, HorrorRetro, but if you were a man every woman around you would be accusing you of 'making a fuss about nothing'. This is not a theory I personally subscribe to so I hope you get well soon.

I can kind of see what Pud is getting at, though. When I've been (let's call it) in the full grip of a particularly bad flu, I lay on my bed for about eighteen hours or so, watching a bunch of tiny dwarves building some sort of fortress out of my laundry pile.
Flu can seriously fuck you up.

Pragmier

I've been sick for a week. Started with that morning sore throat, followed by low grade fever and body aches. I'm on to the itchy chest that makes me cough every 10 min. Starting to loose patience with the lack of sleep.

True story - few years back I got a bad cough that just wouldn't go away. Was so frustrated I decided to drink chloraseptic. As I lay on the floor semi conscious, I thought at least i'm dying without a cough. Good thing the room was carpeted.

Get better HR.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on January 08, 2013, 07:04:39 PM

My Great-grandfather(my mother's mother's father) died during the Influenza outbreak in 1918. By proxy, I'm making myself an authority. My verdict is: HorrorRetro is going to die.
Fixed it for you  ;)

onan

Quote from: MV on January 08, 2013, 07:29:24 PM

idunno.  i think a lot of people do incorrectly refer to a cold as the flu.  the word flu seems like it should refer to a life threatening illness, or at least borderline life threatening.  a cold is the sniffles in bed.

and i also don't find entirely crazy the notion of some amount of medical knowledge rubbing off on a physician's spouse.  naturally, the physician is going to talk about work frequently, so i'd think it would be difficult not to learn a thing or two.

I agree completely with this. I also think we all project tone and tenor into the posts we read. And depending on how favorably we view the poster affects the tone we imagine.

That being said I do wonder about how contentious we are about things that have no need for contention. Someone says they don't feel well, ffs I hope they get better and if they are more "up and about" than we expect... all the better.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on January 08, 2013, 09:22:41 PM
Fixed it for you  ;)

SSSSH! That was my original prognosis. The first 5 coin flips revealed that.

Quote from: HorrorRetro on January 08, 2013, 01:01:08 PM
Going to bed feeling fine and waking up with the full blown flu annoys me.  When I cough, it feels like shrapnel is bouncing around my lungs.  No, I didn't get a flu shot, but according to the local "authorities," the strain of flu going around here was not included in the shot anyway.  I have too much to do to sit around in bed and wait this out.  :(   On a positive note, all my dogs get so excited when I'm sick.  They love to lounge around in bed all day, so they are quite happy right now.  ::)

Hope you're feeling better, HorrorRetro!
If you have nasal congestion, try a neti pot. I find it really helps.
Rest, plenty of liquids, and get well!
:)

The General

This flu discussion annoyed the hell out of me.

Auto correct!!!! Arrghhhhhh! What nerve 'it' has, to presume what I am intending to say!!!! >:(

Quote from: The General on January 09, 2013, 08:59:28 PM
This flu discussion annoyed the hell out of me.
If it annoyed the hell 'out' of you (as opposed so 'into' you) sir, perhaps that as a good thing.  Think of it as being exorcised!
;)

The General

Quote from: Rachael Nexusei on January 09, 2013, 09:07:56 PM
If it annoyed the hell 'out' of you (as opposed so 'into' you) sir, perhaps that as a good thing.  Think of it as being exorcised!
;)
Hey, good call.  And I didn't even need Father Malachi Martin.

Eddie Coyle

That there's now apparently two shower heads in my bathroom.  :P .

My right pant leg looked like I got hit by an Entertech. Thankfully I was home alone, or I'd have to use the old "this fuckin' sink sucks!!!" ruse.

coaster

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on January 09, 2013, 11:23:24 PM

That there's now apparently two shower heads in my bathroom.  :P .

My right pant leg looked like I got hit by an Entertech.
thank you for making me feel not so old.

Quote from: The General on January 09, 2013, 10:29:07 PM
Hey, good call.  And I didn't even need Father Malachi Martin.

Now there is something else I must google! I find I am doing that A LOT in this forum.
Talk about living in a cave....I am so uninformed.

But I am learning!
Sometimes, more than I'd like to know....

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Sardondi on January 08, 2013, 06:50:39 PM
But to be driven to shrilly claiming "I was married to a doctor" is such a total embarrassment that even to recognize it as a "false appeal to authority" makes me break into giggles. Wow. Pud must be tired. Or have the un-flu.

Jeeeze..'False appeal to authority'.... So if you were married to (for example) an accountant and she informed you of accounting practice, you'd be disqualified from telling anecdotes of her work, because she wasn't around to say it herself? If that's the criteria then virtually all knowledge is void; because it's all been passed on from others.  ::)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on January 10, 2013, 06:29:58 AM
If that's the criteria then virtually all knowledge is void; because it's all been passed on from others.  ::)

i agree completely.

Eddie Coyle

This type of horseshit.

The high school my son is going to next fall, apparently makes incoming freshman write a 1000 word essay on "why I chose this school and what I hope to accomplish in the coming four years". Typical anxiety inducing nonsense. I think he has "It's close to my house..." and writer's block then descends. But it annoys me that my kid already dislikes his high school, eight months before the fuckin' fall semester begins!

The ex-Mrs Coyle and I have to laugh at the "coming four years" angle of the essay. I was expelled after my sophomore year and forced to go public school, and she dropped out about 3 times before finally completing high school under duress from her parents. So if our offspring can stay in the same high school for four consecutive years...it's a minor miracle. I just hope he able to graduate after those four years...

Sardondi

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on January 10, 2013, 06:29:58 AM

Jeeeze..'False appeal to authority'.... So if you were married to (for example) an accountant and she informed you of accounting practice, you'd be disqualified from telling anecdotes of her work, because she wasn't around to say it herself? If that's the criteria then virtually all knowledge is void; because it's all been passed on from others.  ::)

Uh, no. That's not quite it, is it, Pud? If I were married to an accountant I wouldn't be trying to give someone tax advice without having any idea what his financial status was. Just as if were I married to a physician, I wouldn't be so bold as to think that fact somehow entitled and empowered me to not merely attempt to diagnose an illness of someone 5000 miles away, whom I'd never laid eyes on. Neither would I use, yes, an "appeal to authority" to undermine confidence in her personal physician who had in fact the education, training and experience I did not, in addition to having had actually examined her. 

But that's just me; you obviously feel differently.   

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Sardondi on January 10, 2013, 03:27:22 PM
Uh, no. That's not quite it, is it, Pud? If I were married to an accountant I wouldn't be trying to give someone tax advice without having any idea what his financial status was. Just as if were I married to a physician, I wouldn't be so bold as to think that fact somehow entitled and empowered me to not merely attempt to diagnose an illness of someone 5000 miles away, whom I'd never laid eyes on. Neither would I use, yes, an "appeal to authority" to undermine confidence in her personal physician who had in fact the education, training and experience I did not, in addition to having had actually examined her. 

But that's just me; you obviously feel differently.

Hint..look up 'Spouse'....'Discusses work'...'Anecdote'...and 'Imparting knowledge'...oh, and...'levity'.... Or are you just going to go on, long after the illness has departed the host? Hey if you like I can give you a run down on the difference between a virus and a bacterium.  ;)

BobGrau

So now I've got the flu. Thanks, irony.

ChewMouse

Quote from: BobGrau on January 11, 2013, 06:20:43 PM
NOT THE FLU! NO! ANYTHING BUT THAT!

Ohhhhhh no.

ME TOO!
Or something similar.....*cough*ache*sneeze*
I covered my mouth!!!!!

MV/Liberace!

noo, you've probably actually just got a cold because the flu is... ah, fuckin' never mind.

McPhallus

That I can relate to so many entries in the Socially Awkward Penguin meme.

Sardondi

Quote from: MV on January 11, 2013, 08:54:23 PM

noo, you've probably actually just got a cold because the flu is... ah, fuckin' never mind.

Heh. Wicked.

Well, I think I may have died, although everything kinda looks the same....it's so hard to tell...but something is different.  Maybe only some part of me died.....hope it wasn't my sense of humour.
Which, I think, may be my seat of consciousness, no wait I gave that away a couple years ago to the Good Will.  I had to make room upstairs.  Sad, it was just starting to feel comfortable, and there was always something interesting to be found under the cushions. :-\