• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

paladin1991

Quote from: monica on May 15, 2018, 12:35:02 AM
MV was very nice to me this month, accommodating a special request.m

But how to attach an image?  Didn't work.

MV just wants to get into your pantz.

ShayP

The U.S Postal Service.  More often than not they've continued to annoy me again and again and again. >:(

albrecht

Election advertising. I'm pulling a Norry here but it seems like time is accelerating. It seems like there are elections every other friggin day and with it comes all the robo-calls and mailbox filled with crap. I guess it works, in the theory that ads are not so much to get you to like a product but simply 'remember' the product  so that when it comes time to buy/vote you pick the name you remember. But it sucks.

Metron2267

Quote from: ShayP on May 15, 2018, 03:52:41 PM
The U.S Postal Service.  More often than not they've continued to annoy me again and again and again. >:(

Oh the breadlines...pretty much every post office too...

:(

Metron2267

Quote from: albrecht on May 15, 2018, 04:59:11 PM
Election advertising. I'm pulling a Norry here but it seems like time is accelerating. It seems like there are elections every other friggin day and with it comes all the robo-calls and mailbox filled with crap. I guess it works, in the theory that ads are not so much to get you to like a product but simply 'remember' the product  so that when it comes time to buy/vote you pick the name you remember. But it sucks.

It's like those hyper-annoying Honda sale ads - hatred breeds familiarity.

Taaroa

Australian postal service is worse, I guarantee. Quite often my mail is left on top of my letterbox (yes, even in the rain), packages are never delivered properly because the drivers will just put a slip in letterboxes saying they attempted delivery rather than actually attempt it, 'failed delivery' means having to go to a larger and busier post office that might not be your closest and is only open 9-5 and only on weekdays, it takes less time for mail to get to London than it does to another large Australian city, etc.

My dealings with them has been largely negative in the last decade (and it's not like I'm living in the middle of nowhere -- quite the opposite), and my experience seems to be pretty common. To add salt to the wounds, their last CEO had a salary of ~3.58mil USD and a payout of 8mil USD.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/damning-report-slams-australia-post-for-common-errors-and-defensive-attitude-to-complaints/news-story/b98e6792440e8276d8b465d1dae3cd2e
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-03/australia-post-complaints-top-more-than-one-million/9612942
http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/other-industries/australia-post--you-are-the-weakest-link/news-story/dbd71e6d4b1147ae855846163008b672'http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-25/ahmed-fahour-walks-away-from-australia-post-with-$10.8-million/8841226

GravitySucks

Quote from: Taaroa on May 15, 2018, 06:03:01 PM
Australian postal service is worse, I guarantee. Quite often my mail is left on top of my letterbox (yes, even in the rain), packages are never delivered properly because the drivers will just put a slip in letterboxes saying they attempted delivery rather than actually attempt it, 'failed delivery' means having to go to a larger and busier post office that might not be your closest and is only open 9-5 and only on weekdays, it takes less time for mail to get to London than it does to another large Australian city, etc.

My dealings with them has been largely negative in the last decade (and it's not like I'm living in the middle of nowhere -- quite the opposite), and my experience seems to be pretty common. To add salt to the wounds, their last CEO had a salary of ~3.58mil USD and a payout of 8mil USD.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/damning-report-slams-australia-post-for-common-errors-and-defensive-attitude-to-complaints/news-story/b98e6792440e8276d8b465d1dae3cd2e
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-03/australia-post-complaints-top-more-than-one-million/9612942
http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/other-industries/australia-post--you-are-the-weakest-link/news-story/dbd71e6d4b1147ae855846163008b672'http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-25/ahmed-fahour-walks-away-from-australia-post-with-$10.8-million/8841226

I always wondered why I never heard back from that opera singer in Perth.

albrecht

I know it is crazy but the post office close to me is great. No lines. Helpful staff. They will even tape stuff up for you, 'remind you' "this is media, right?"  wink-wink so you get the cheaper rate, the people are friendly and seem to like their job. It is a semi-rural location.

However, IF you have over-sized package, have to pickup certified mail, have a damage delivery, etc then you need to go to your "official" station which is several miles away in the city and a nightmare- of lines, workers who rather chat on the phone than work, totally mismanaged staff- two workers will be overrun with lines but other workers idle because there job is some other function, for which there is no demand and so on.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on May 15, 2018, 06:12:08 PM
I know it is crazy but the post office close to me is great. No lines. Helpful staff. They will even tape stuff up for you, 'remind you' "this is media, right?"  wink-wink so you get the cheaper rate, the people are friendly and seem to like their job. It is a semi-rural location.

However, IF you have over-sized package, have to pickup certified mail, have a damage delivery, etc then you need to go to your "official" station which is several miles away in the city and a nightmare- of lines, workers who rather chat on the phone than work, totally mismanaged staff- two workers will be overrun with lines but other workers idle because there job is some other function, for which there is no demand and so on.

My experience has generally been very good with USPS too. I think this is a cliche. Seriously, compare it to other nations postal services. I think you'll be surprised.

ShayP

Quote from: Metron2267 on May 15, 2018, 05:10:24 PM
Oh the breadlines...pretty much every post office too...
:(

Oh it's not the lines.  It's the lack of service and the constant mistakes in delivery.

ShayP

Quote from: albrecht on May 15, 2018, 06:12:08 PM

The post offices near me are not great.  It was good for  awhile and then they turned over the staff.  I access the 'informed delivery' app which shows what mail has been scanned and sent, however not a week goes by where my mail is misplaced or just lost.  I too had to go to the main office to pick up the package after I was confirmed delivery.  The tracking number stated it arrived there yet they claimed to not have it.  It became a huge chore to deal with that with no resolution.

ShayP

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 15, 2018, 06:22:47 PM
My experience has generally been very good with USPS too. I think this is a cliche. Seriously, compare it to other nations postal services. I think you'll be surprised.

I would love for you to visit my local post offices with me.  It is an exercise in frustration to say the least.  It wasn't always like this though.  Just over the last year or so.

Quote from: ShayP on May 15, 2018, 07:20:15 PM
I would love for you to visit my local post offices with me.  It is an exercise in frustration to say the least.  It wasn't always like this though.  Just over the last year or so.

These pukes took the stamp vending machines out of the lobby. 

Reason:  if you stand in line for an hour, you might buy other items and spend more money.  No kidding, the policy on the vending machines came from the Postmaster General and he gave that specific reason.  Now I buy all my stamps at one of the various stores that sell them (drugstore, grocery store, Staples, etc).  Fuck the post office

Staples used to have a post office service counter inside the store (now they just sell stamps and that's it).  The postal union was outside striking one day, saying they were stealing jobs, paying workers less, blah, blah, blah.

After walking past them on the way in, I stopped to chat on the way out.  I mentioned the vending machines, the long lines, and so on.  One of them said to check the post office in a week or two and he'd see to it the policy was changed. 

I had a great time telling them how shitty they were, and why it was that Staples had a post office desk in the first place, why people went there instead of the post office, etc.  And told him he was delusional if he thought he was going to get the Postmaster General's policy overturned.  I told them Obama sucked as well, just for the fun of it. 

Another one got wind of my disobedience and came over all torqued off.  Fuckers had fireman's windbreakers on, they weren't even post office workers.  Union thugs.  I scampered off after pushing a few more buttons.  Lol

Jojo

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on May 15, 2018, 09:24:34 PM
Staples used to have a post office service counter inside the store (now they just sell stamps and that's it).  The postal union was outside striking one day, saying they were stealing jobs, paying workers less, blah, blah, blah.

After walking past them on the way in, I stopped to chat on the way out.  I mentioned the vending machines, the long lines, and so on.  One of them said to check the post office in a week or two and he'd see to it the policy was changed. 

I had a great time telling them how shitty they were, and why it was that Staples had a post office desk in the first place, why people went there instead of the post office, etc.  And told him he was delusional if he thought he was going to get the Postmaster General's policy overturned.  I told them Obama sucked as well, just for the fun of it. 

Another one got wind of my disobedience and came over all torqued off.  Fuckers had fireman's windbreakers on, they weren't even post office workers.  Union thugs.  I scampered off after pushing a few more buttons.  Lol
Funny. Are you an Aries too?

There are a few post offices within 7 miles.  My mom received a package from me with the contents removed (eyeliners), because some thief professionally punched a circular hole right through the envelope and removed the make-up.  And THEY STILL DELIVERED THE DAMAGED MAIL WITH NO EXPLANATION.

Other items have gone missing from the mail too, like those little plastic gift cards send inside greeting cards.  I wouldn't send anything valuable without tracking it.

One post office here had a natural gas low level leak for years, employee headaches and all that.  It continued on years after I complained about the odor/bad air.  No A/C, sun beating on our heads thru the high window.

Some of our staff is very nice, and nicely "diverse", but others are like Gestapos.  And yes, lines are long at certain times and days, except in one folksy branch in the best part of town.  But they kept one branch open on tax day until Midnight.

wr250

when you build a low power computer, and you cant find a decent PSU to power it. so you  end up installing a bunch of fans and a mechanical hard drive to get the PSU to turn on (in this case a corsair PSU, lowest wattage available).
specs:
itx n3150 cpu/board combo (6W processor)
i doubt the board/processor draws more than 8W at full load (10W with 2 fans going), not enough to keep the PSU from cycling on/off ...

all the shitty cheap psu's i have power it fine, but having had terrible luck with those, id rather not use them.

Hog

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 15, 2018, 06:06:48 PM
I always wondered why I never heard back from that opera singer in Perth.
Boy was she EVER annoying.  IIRC we got to hear MV sing a little bit on that episode as well.

peace
Hog

wr250

time to extend copyrights , again. this is annoying.
Quote from: wired magazineALMOST EXACTLY 20 years ago, Congress passed the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act, which extended the term of existing copyrights by 20 years. The Act was the 11th extension in the prior 40 years, timed perfectly to assure that certain famous works, including Mickey Mouse, would not pass into the public domain.

https://www.wired.com/story/congress-latest-move-to-extend-copyright-protection-is-misguided/
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/2393/text

also annoying :
having to edit the post multiple times to remove extraneous tags i did put in the post to begin with.

Jojo

Tough acts to follow in the Things that bring me joy thread!

Jojo

Shrill microwave oven tones.  Isn't it time to patent some lovely chimes or something!

Children whose parents let them run out of control in public. Just saw this idiocracy fambly at the botanical gardens. The little crotch nuggets were ripping the rare flowers apart while  breeder cow mum watched in the background giggling.

Metron2267

Parents who let their kids climb the booth in a restaurant and peer down on you while you eat, or make faces, etc.

Kids that kick the back of your airline seat.

>:(

Juan

Winn-Dixie supermarkets where they have just added child-sized grocery buggies. The little bastards race them in the aisles, to the amusement of their parents, and endanger the lives of actual patrons. They’re worse than the fat people in the electric carts. Then there are all the Amazon-vested “service dogs.”

Jojo

Quote from: Juan on May 24, 2018, 12:06:54 PM
Winn-Dixie supermarkets where they have just added child-sized grocery buggies. The little bastards race them in the aisles, to the amusement of their parents, and endanger the lives of actual patrons. They’re worse than the fat people in the electric carts. Then there are all the Amazon-vested “service dogs.”
Terrible!

Jojo

Quote from: Metron2267 on May 24, 2018, 08:27:15 AM
Parents who let their kids climb the booth in a restaurant and peer down on you while you eat, or make faces, etc.

Kids that kick the back of your airline seat.

>:(
Yeah, and if you even attempt any response (other than appealing to someone in authority), suddenly Mama Bear wants to slay you.  Can't even do turn-about, unless its very subtle...and subtlety is wasted on these types.  I guess kill them with kindness hard and fast! 

Jojo

Quote from: Renegade Smurf on May 24, 2018, 07:02:02 AM
Children whose parents let them run out of control in public. Just saw this idiocracy fambly at the botanical gardens. The little crotch nuggets were ripping the rare flowers apart while  breeder cow mum watched in the background giggling.
So true.  Ad the response is always, "They are two!  What do you expect!" as if they have never heard of redirecting, correcting, controlling or starting light discipline even tho the kids are too young to reason.

Then there are the parents who try to "reason" with a three year old.  How retarded.

Jojo

Quote from: ksm32 on May 25, 2018, 01:40:42 AM
arabs
An Arab taxi driver saw me walking toward dusk and said out his wi dow, "You shouldn't be walking alone!"

I suppose he wanted me to get in a vehicle with a strange man, him.  No way!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: monica on May 25, 2018, 03:14:58 AM
An Arab taxi driver saw me walking toward dusk and said out his wi dow, "You shouldn't be walking alone!"

I suppose he wanted me to get in a vehicle with a strange man, him.  No way!

Yeah, and cover up, bitch! You think this is the land of the free or something?!