• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

annoyed by having to look up hagiographic.  :-[

Eddie Coyle

This annoyed and amused me.

So I run(trudge) to a burger joint to further clog my arteries, and I get home and my better half is slying laughing and says "you have to hear this".

On the answering machine was this:

Hey("Eddie" for these purposes) how are you? How's the wife and kids? We know you're dedicated...blah,blah..we need you to help us and vote for Elizabeth Warren this tuesday and tell your friends and family...etc."

The caller was a former colleague of mine. I haven't seen him since Sept 29, 2003. Had we maintained some semblance of contact in the past 3,323 days, perhaps he would have been aware of my marriage's dissolution(a mere 7 years ago) or that my "kids" is actually singular, not plural(that I know of)...so on and so forth. And anybody who knows me remotely, knows that I'm dedicated to nothing.
          I almost feel like I'm impelled to vote for Scott Brown after hearing this 39 second exercise in obsequiousness.

McPhallus

That call sounds about as flimsy as Warren's supposed Native American background.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 03, 2012, 11:05:56 AM

This annoyed and amused me.

So I run(trudge) to a burger joint to further clog my arteries, and I get home and my better half is slying laughing and says "you have to hear this".

On the answering machine was this:

Hey("Eddie" for these purposes) how are you? How's the wife and kids? We know you're dedicated...blah,blah..we need you to help us and vote for Elizabeth Warren this tuesday and tell your friends and family...etc."

The caller was a former colleague of mine. I haven't seen him since Sept 29, 2003. Had we maintained some semblance of contact in the past 3,323 days, perhaps he would have been aware of my marriage's dissolution(a mere 7 years ago) or that my "kids" is actually singular, not plural(that I know of)...so on and so forth. And anybody who knows me remotely, knows that I'm dedicated to nothing.
          I almost feel like I'm impelled to vote for Scott Brown after hearing this 39 second exercise in obsequiousness.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: McPhallus on November 03, 2012, 12:10:12 PM
That call sounds about as flimsy as Warren's supposed Native American background.

No kidding, and if my hack pal from the past is calling me...a registered Independent, then Pocahontas Warren must sense desperation.

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 03, 2012, 11:05:56 AM
          ....I almost feel like I'm impelled to vote for Scott Brown after hearing this 39 second exercise in obsequiousness.

Well, you know that a quasi-divine figure recently said that "voting is the best revenge", and in your case I think he might actually be close to the truth.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on November 03, 2012, 02:18:21 PM
Well, you know that a quasi-divine figure recently said that "voting is the best revenge", and in your case I think he might actually be close to the truth.
That's why people(and alleged deities) should be careful what they wish for, because if you can awake the indifferent, or better yet annoy, said sleeping dog...paging Karl Popper.

And adding to that! About an hour after my post about the phone solicitation...a flyer was placed on my front door, with a picture of Pocohantas Warren and a local pol that I can't stand and how he endorsed her..."for us". I wish it was a genius Donald Segretti type of trick, but it's not. It's a sincere endorsement...

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 30, 2012, 02:36:35 PM

Disney is apparently buying LucasFilm.   Which means more Star Wars movies.  Because the last 3 of those and Disney movies overall lately have been just so dang good.

Episode 7:  The Return of Jar Jar

The purchase of Marvel for $4 billion looks like a bargain. Star Wars purchase at $4 billion is a bargain.

conbrio

George (bloody) Noory.. George Noory and George Noory. That's about it, otherwise I'm a pretty happy guy.

Eddie Coyle

Um, who requested a remake of Red Dawn?

Particularly annoyed because my requests for remakes of Avenging Angel, Ilsa: Tigress of Siberia and Chained Heat 2 have been ignored thus far.

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 04, 2012, 10:39:49 PM

Um, who requested a remake of Red Dawn?....

And here I thought the original Red Dawn was such a ridiculously over the top testosterone-fueled adolescent fantasy that it just was not possible to redo it. What a hoot of a movie the original was. A whoooole lot of disbelief has to get suspended to buy in to the proposition that a handful of high school kids are going to somehow morph into world-class spec ops warriors, who function at such a high level (without illness or wounds, although death catches up with many) that they thwart what must be a couple of thousand paratroops from a Russo-Cuban invasion/occupation force supported by armor and fixed wing aircraft, as well as the deadly armored Hind attack copters.

As real as a segment of Survivor RD 1984 has all the subtlety and deftness of a ball peen hammer. It reaches its height of human complexity when death-loving super-burnout C. Thomas Howell coarsely asks Marty McFly's mom-to-be, "So what's up your ass?", and she goes into full PTSD meltdown. The viewing kids get to feel like adults when they grok she is a victim of what they gather is a beastly Slavic predilection for brutal sexual perversity. Sheesh. It's a cringer.

One of the great surprises is the very fine performance of Ron O'Neal, he of Superfly fame*. He is excellent as the Cuban officer who struggles with his ambivalence about being an oppressor as opposed to a liberator. He learns a grudging respect for the Wolverines, and his warnings to superiors to start treating the Wolverines as a very serious threat fall on deaf ears of course.

So Red Dawn is one of my secret guilty pleasures, and I usually watch some if it's on. It's even achieved a certain legitimacy for so successfully tapping into a whole new level of adolescent defiance of authority. But the new one - what the hell? It's not enough fantasy that the gang that used to put on a show to save the town library could become stone killers and stymie a couple of battalions of Spetsnaz? Now they have to blow up hundreds of millions of dollars of North Korean and Russian military equipment before sneaking into the highly secured PRNK HQ to get the secret weapon that will destroy Western Civilization? *sigh* I guess there's no hope they makers will figure out that blowing up more stuff doesn't mean they'll make money. 

I hope it tanks, MGM goes bankrupt, and everyone associated with the movie is forced to find a real job.

*I think O'Neal's is a sad story, because he understandably went after the money and became the avatar of deadly cool in 70's blaxploitation films. But he was so successful that he could never really break back out again, and became identified as little more than a one-dimensional black action hero a' la ex-football jock Fred Williamson. That's sad because O'Neal was a real actor who worked for years in absolutely legitimate theater. He spent several years on Broadway before hitting it big playing honky-hating, pig-wasting pimps and rich, ruthless drug dealers -and  those were the good guys in those movies**. Such a waste. Red Dawn shows what O'Neal could have done.

**Truly, the blaxploitation films were execrable. You could write a doctoral dissertation on whether the kinds of anti-heroes worshiped in those films merely mirrored, presaged, or helped lead to the destruction of the black middle class in America...just as one might see the coming terrible coarsening of American culture in similar anti-heroes in mainstream movies .

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on November 05, 2012, 04:52:40 AM

*I think O'Neal's is a sad story, because he understandably went after the money and became the avatar of deadly cool in 70's blaxploitation films. But he was so successful that he could never really break back out again, and became identified as little more than a one-dimensional black action hero a' la ex-football jock Fred Williamson. That's sad because O'Neal was a real actor who worked for years in absolutely legitimate theater. He spent several years on Broadway before hitting it big playing honky-hating, pig-wasting pimps and rich, ruthless drug dealers -and  those were the good guys in those movies**. Such a waste. Red Dawn shows what O'Neal could have done.

**Truly, the blaxploitation films were execrable. You could write a doctoral dissertation on whether the kinds of anti-heroes worshiped in those films merely mirrored, presaged, or helped lead to the destruction of the black middle class in America...just as one might see the coming terrible coarsening of American culture in similar anti-heroes in mainstream movies .
Call me crazy, I always was skeptical of Afrocentrism propounded by Samuel Z Arkoff and Larry Cohen. But AIP watched Shaft and it's well thought out sequels ;)  make tons of bread and boom...here comes Black Caesar and Coffy.

Blaxploitation(1971-75) occasionally had legit actors like Yaphet Kotto or Paul Winfield, but it was also a breeding ground for ex-athletes(great-Jim Brown, not great-Fred Williamson) karate guys(Jim Kelly..who?) singers (Issac Hayes) etc. These movies all had the same "the man/mafia" plots with little variation on the theme. Like you say, a guy like Ron O Neal was reduced to competing with Carl Weathers. Gee, I'm sure that's not demoralizing. Amusing that Antonio Fargas son ended up in the NFL(Raiders, no less) But by early 1975 oversaturation occurred and karate movies and Philipino exploitation were knocking Truck Turner out of the grindhouses.

The high end of the genre was Across 110th Street, which is misnomered blaxploitation because of Bobby Womack's soundtrack. Anthony Franciosa having one of those roles that wouldn't even be considered today.

Pragmier

What's your take on Live & Let Die and blaxploitation? I found the above interesting.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Pragmier on November 05, 2012, 10:00:43 AM
What's your take on Live & Let Die and blaxploitation? I found the above interesting.

It definitely was trying to cash-in a bit and seems kind of forced-updating Fleming's work for a 1972 paradigm, it seemed dated immediately... though picking Paul McCartney for the title track was very "un-blaxploitation".

LacyWoodrow

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 04, 2012, 10:39:49 PM

Um, who requested a remake of Red Dawn?

Particularly annoyed because my requests for remakes of Avenging Angel, Ilsa: Tigress of Siberia and Chained Heat 2 have been ignored thus far.

Avenging Angel, as in Porter Rockwell? If so, I did not know there was a first one. I've read all about him, and know the story well. Kudos.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: LacyWoodrow on November 05, 2012, 10:25:34 PM
Avenging Angel, as in Porter Rockwell? If so, I did not know there was a first one. I've read all about him, and know the story well. Kudos.

Actually, Avenging Angel as in this... :-[ :-[

LacyWoodrow

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 05, 2012, 10:37:11 PM
       Actually, Avenging Angel as in this... :-[ :-[

oh hahaha. I was way off.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: LacyWoodrow on November 05, 2012, 10:49:39 PM
oh hahaha. I was way off.
You're not the first (or last) to overestimate my uh, "intellectual" pursuits. If something fairly erudite and highbrow shares nomenclature with something trashy and in the gutter...it's likely I'm referring to the latter.

LacyWoodrow

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 05, 2012, 10:53:50 PM
     You're not the first (or last) to overestimate my uh, "intellectual" pursuits. If something fairly erudite and highbrow shares nomenclature with something trashy and in the gutter...it's likely I'm referring to the latter.

I'm impressed, if not bamboozled (no pun intended to your avatar). If had a friend named Eddie Coyle, it would remind me of you.  ;D

Oops. I made a slip. Had to edit.

stevesh

One less annoyance as of yesterday. Far-too-regular C2C caller Cornelius from Louisiana's mama finally died, so we won't have to listen to him bleat about her 'blood cancer' anymore. And God Bless Tommy.

ziznak

Quote from: stevesh on November 06, 2012, 04:21:45 AM
One less annoyance as of yesterday. Far-too-regular C2C caller Cornelius from Louisiana's mama finally died, so we won't have to listen to him bleat about her 'blood cancer' anymore. And God Bless Tommy.
damn tha's cold

stevesh

Fuck her. My mama died in 2006 after a long illness, but you didn't hear me whining about it on national talk radio.

Eddie Coyle

Scratching an unfortunately placed itch about 3 minutes after I applied Mineral Ice to my lower back. Goodness Gracious Great Balls of Fire.

ziznak

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 06, 2012, 11:10:01 PM

Scratching an unfortunately placed itch about 3 minutes after I applied Mineral Ice to my lower back. Goodness Gracious Great Balls of Fire.
don't like to admit it but I found your unfortunate predicament quite funny... thanks for sharing.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ziznak on November 06, 2012, 11:29:22 PM
don't like to admit it but I found your unfortunate predicament quite funny... thanks for sharing.

I think all humans with "private parts" can relate to my misfortune. That fuckin' Mineral Ice works! That shit burns. That's the 14th time I've accidentally done that since Sunday.

ziznak

maybe a "wash hands immediately" sticky not on the mineral ice will prevent future occurrences?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ziznak on November 06, 2012, 11:38:53 PM
maybe a "wash hands immediately" sticky not on the mineral ice will prevent future occurrences?
That's for pussies and OCD freaks. How dare they tell me to wash my hands!

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 06, 2012, 11:32:49 PM
     I think all humans with "private parts" can relate to my misfortune...

So we're excluding Madonna, Paris, Britney, most of the Kardashians...

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Paper*Boy on November 07, 2012, 12:19:04 AM

So we're excluding Madonna, Paris, Britney, most of the Kardashians...
Good point. There are nothing private about those parts...

Or remotely alluring either.

MV/Liberace!

cheap people.  trying to save a dollar?  go fuck yourself.

MV/Liberace!

oh, and now i'm noticing google is placing ads WITH SOUND on this forum.  fucking fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.  anybody have adsense experience and know how to disable this horse shit?  i really want to flatten somebody's face today.  christ almighty.