• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ground Zero with Clyde Lewis

Started by VictoriaPandora, April 30, 2011, 11:37:35 AM

starrmtn001

Quote from: bigchucka on May 04, 2016, 08:13:19 PM
I swear to fuck that Clyde Lewis needs to have a talk with someone to get the bullshit that happens to his website fixed.  Makes it fucking impossible for people that don't have a Facebook account to find out what's going to be on on a nightly basis.
Have you tried Sound Cloud?  Click on the title of the show to find out what it's about.  I'm sorry, I don't have his live show link at hand.

https://soundcloud.com/groundzeromedia

bigchucka

Quote from: starrmtn001 on May 04, 2016, 08:23:24 PM
Have you tried Sound Cloud?  Click on the title of the show to find out what it's about.  I'm sorry, I don't have his live show link at hand.

https://soundcloud.com/groundzeromedia

That would help if I was planning on downloading it the next day.  Doesn't help when I'm deciding what to do when his show is on.  Could of course just turn it on and listen.

starrmtn001

Quote from: bigchucka on May 04, 2016, 08:52:38 PM
That would help if I was planning on downloading it the next day.  Doesn't help when I'm deciding what to do when his show is on.  Could of course just turn it on and listen.
You can make your own playlist too, there, if you wish.  Click "add to playlist" on the shows you want to hear.

Then click on your name in the upper right corner.  A menu will drop down.  Click on playlist.

If you want to rearrange the order, click on the pen icon, top left of the list.

Click "tracks" to see and rearrange you list.  When you're finished, click on "save" at the top or bottom of the page.

bigchucka

Quote from: starrmtn001 on May 04, 2016, 09:01:25 PM
You can make your own playlist too, there, if you wish.  Click "add to playlist" on the shows you want to hear.

Then click on your name in the upper right corner.  A menu will drop down.  Click on playlist.

If you want to rearrange the order, click on the pen icon, top left of the list.

Click "tracks" to see and rearrange you list.  When you're finished, click on "save" at the top or bottom of the page.

I'm more of a download the show and listen kinda guy as opposed to playing it off of Soundcloud's website.  That way if I run into an internet glitch it doesn't cause me to lose my spot.

starrmtn001

Quote from: bigchucka on May 04, 2016, 09:03:58 PM
I'm more of a download the show and listen kinda guy as opposed to playing it off of Soundcloud's website.  That way if I run into an internet glitch it doesn't cause me to lose my spot.
Okay then.  Sounds like you're good to go! ;D

El Kragen

Quote from: the_peeve on March 26, 2016, 09:22:19 PM
there are so many breaks and commercials.

That's my only complaint.

His show is on for 5 hours. Once all the commercials and breaks are taken out for Soundcloud it ends up being only 3 hours.

henge0stone

The show is better than c2c and on earlier. I fall asleep listening to it now. Just listened to my first podcast (full episode) and it was pretty good not gonna lie. MY biggest complaint is the lame ass bumper clips from old movies or whatever they are. They go on forever and are lame and terrible, I wish they just weren't there Idk why they are.

On a side note since the show apparently started back in 95 does anyone have an old archives torrent of it? The itunes and show archives don't go that far back.

I listened to him on my way home tonight while trying not to die.

Sometimes he is really interesting, sometimes he says a lot and at the same time says nothing.

Lilith

Clyde is talking about the DB Cooper updates that were just on the History Channel.

Kidnostad3

Clyde Lewis

I'm listening to the July 22nd edition of GZ and Clyde has his panties in a knot over the recent use of a robot to take down an active shooter in a barricade situation in Dallas.  He worries that this will lead to police releasing on the public armed robots empowered to make an independent decision to use deadly force.  Does he really believe that short of a zombie apocalypse this has any probability of coming to pass.   He fails to tell us under what circumstances he imagines taking the human decision maker out of the loop would be deemed appropriate or even useful in any sane society

To bolster his contentions concerning robots he points to a recent tragedy that took place in a mall in California wherein a young child was run over and killed by a robot as a portent of things to come.  The picture he paints makes it seem that the robot just up and ran the child over with malicious intent.  The facts are that this robot functions as a sentry and is programmed to detect suspicious people and circumstances and report them to the guard force.  It is not programmed to physically engage humans in an effort to prevent crime or apprehend suspects. As I understand it, the child was run over while the robot was moving within its patrol area as it was programmed to do.  This was most certainly a terrible tragedy but it was not the result of a robot run amok.  It also begs the question:  Where were the child's parents when this happened?

Lewis' depiction of events is specious and his suspicions are over wrought.  I can imagine it is very difficult to find discussion material to fill a five hour show that airs 5 days a week.  That being said, does this discussion really merit our time and attention when there so many other things afoot in the world today with a much higher probability of near-term dire consequences than killer robots roaming our streets.   I also didn't like the way he tried to browbeat a caller who was attempting to make points along the lines of those made above.  In my book shouting over someone who is trying to add something to the discussion belies a weak position and is just plain bad form.

Lilith

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on July 24, 2016, 12:24:24 AM
Clyde Lewis

I'm listening to the July 22nd edition of GZ and Clyde has his panties in a knot over the recent use of a robot to take down an active shooter in a barricade situation in Dallas.  He worries that this will lead to police releasing on the public armed robots empowered to make an independent decision to use deadly force.  Does he really believe that short of a zombie apocalypse this has any probability of coming to pass.   He fails to tell us under what circumstances he imagines taking the human decision maker out of the loop would be deemed appropriate or even useful in any sane society

To bolster his contentions concerning robots he points to a recent tragedy that took place in a mall in California wherein a young child was run over and killed by a robot as a portent of things to come.  The picture he paints makes it seem that the robot just up and ran the child over with malicious intent.  The facts are that this robot functions as a sentry and is programmed to detect suspicious people and circumstances and report them to the guard force.  It is not programmed to physically engage humans in an effort to prevent crime or apprehend suspects. As I understand it, the child was run over while the robot was moving within its patrol area as it was programmed to do.  This was most certainly a terrible tragedy but it was not the result of a robot run amok.  It also begs the question:  Where were the child's parents when this happened?

Lewis' depiction of events is specious and his suspicions are over wrought.  I can imagine it is very difficult to find discussion material to fill a five hour show that airs 5 days a week.  That being said, does this discussion really merit our time and attention when there so many other things afoot in the world today with a much higher probability of near-term dire consequences than killer robots roaming our streets.   I also didn't like the way he tried to browbeat a caller who was attempting to make points along the lines of those made above.  In my book shouting over someone who is trying to add something to the discussion belies a weak position and is just plain bad form.

I just now clicked it on.  I probably will fall asleep soon, but will catch what I miss tomorrow.

ItsOver

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on July 24, 2016, 12:24:24 AM
Clyde Lewis

Clyde, Clyde, Clyde... what are we going to do with you?  I had some hope for Clyde when he showed-up on my local stations.  Unfortunately, they've been greatly diminished, with his non-stop monologues, many times degenerating into some sort of seemingly paranoid rant.  He loves to play just about anything into some dire conspiracy or portent of impending doom.  Damn, the guy makes Ed Dames sound positive, at times.  And memes.  I've never seen anyone so enamored with memes.  Meme this, meme that.  I don't know how much of his broadcasting style is just Clyde being Clyde or he thinks by turning everything into some dire disaster is good for ratings.  Maybe he's just normal for Portland.  It just doesn't work for me as good radio.

The guy has a voice made for radio and is articulate but he's just too much angst to take most of the time.  He can still be very good when has a decent guest and was pretty entertaining when he was doing the show from Roswell, not long ago.  Most nights though?  Eh, forget it.

Lilith

Quote from: ItsOver on July 24, 2016, 04:32:25 AM
Clyde, Clyde, Clyde... what are we going to do with you?  I had some hope for Clyde when he showed-up on my local stations.  Unfortunately, they've been greatly diminished, with his non-stop monologues, many times degenerating into some sort of seemingly paranoid rant.  He loves to play just about anything into some dire conspiracy or portent of impending doom.  Damn, the guy makes Ed Dames sound positive, at times.  And memes.  I've never seen anyone so enamored with memes.  Meme this, meme that.  I don't know how much of his broadcasting style is just Clyde being Clyde or he thinks by turning everything into some dire disaster is good for ratings.  Maybe he's just normal for Portland.  It just doesn't work for me as good radio.

The guy has a voice made for radio and is articulate but he's just too much angst to take most of the time.  He can still be very good when has a decent guest and was pretty entertaining when he was doing the show from Roswell, not long ago.  Most nights though?  Eh, forget it.

Same with Wells IMO. There is an occasional great episode that happens along the way. At least Clyde uploads his commercial free podcasts for free.  Either one is great to fall asleep listening to on the other nondescript nights.  Much better than MITD or C2C for sleep IMO.  MITD and C2C their voices grate on my nerves, Wells and Clyde are like a soothing rain to listen to.

ItsOver

Quote from: brig on July 24, 2016, 07:54:36 AM
Same with Wells IMO. There is an occasional great episode that happens along the way. At least Clyde uploads his commercial free podcasts for free.  Either one is great to fall asleep listening to on the other nondescript nights.  Much better than MITD or C2C for sleep IMO.  MITD and C2C their voices grate on my nerves, Wells and Clyde are like a soothing rain to listen to.
I pretty much agree, Brig.  When Clyde gets wound-up or on an intense rant, it turns from background-noise-to-sleep-by to something as aggravating as bumbling Jorch, though, for me. 

Lilith

Quote from: ItsOver on July 24, 2016, 08:03:17 AM
I pretty much agree, Brig.  When Clyde gets wound-up or on an intense rant, it turns from background-noise-to-sleep-by to something as aggravating as bumbling Jorch, though, for me.

I understand.  I can't listen to the live broadcast...too many commercials, so I am always a day behind with Clydes stuff.  Wells, I'm one of those that is still subscribed mostly because I got to know his crazy forum fans from the earliest days, and because I like to see people I haven't seen before on video.  I usually turn on Wells video in the morning, listen to his daily rant just to hear what news he is reading off the interwebbings, and what he is raging on about yet again,  ad nauseum.  If I have already seen the guest, I turn it off after that half hour.  If I have heard the guest before, but not seen them before, I will watch them for a few minutes, fast scan forward to the second guest, follow the same procedure.

That is all.

Dr. MD MD

While I'm not sure I buy into everything he's saying I find his show WAY more interesting than most of the others in the same genre. I'm reading a lot of criticism of Clyde here but, like a lot of criticism I read on Bellgab, it's big on the "I don't like" part but short on the "why." He's well spoken and has a good radio voice. He often has interesting guests that I've never heard on the other shows before. And, if you think it's all bullshit and that you're too smart for these kind of shows there are a lot of other shows to listen to these days: Radiolab, for example. Just sayin.  ;)

Lilith

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 24, 2016, 08:26:26 AM
While I'm not sure I buy into everything he's saying I find his show WAY more interesting than most of the others in the same genre.

Finally, SOMEBODY understands me!   ;D :-*

PS: I'm on page 21 by the way. about 12 more pages to go.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: brig on July 24, 2016, 08:13:18 AM
I understand.  I can't listen to the live broadcast...too many commercials, so I am always a day behind with Clydes stuff.  Wells, I'm one of those that is still subscribed mostly because I got to know his crazy forum fans from the earliest days, and because I like to see people I haven't seen before on video.  I usually turn on Wells video in the morning, listen to his daily rant just to hear what news he is reading off the interwebbings, and what he is raging on about yet again,  ad nauseum.  If I have already seen the guest, I turn it off after that half hour.  If I have heard the guest before, but not seen them before, I will watch them for a few minutes, fast scan forward to the second guest, follow the same procedure.

That is all.

I suppose I should qualify that I also only listen to 3 hr version, usually on Stitcher or Soundcloud. I might have a different opinion if I had to endure all those commercials. That's the reason I won't listen to Alex Jones anymore and very rarely tune in to C2C (usually just for Knapp occasionally).

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: brig on July 24, 2016, 08:29:33 AM
Finally, SOMEBODY understands me!   ;D :-*

PS: I'm on page 21 by the way. about 12 more pages to go.

Cool! I knew from your posts that you would probably dig it.  ;)

Lilith

I think Clyde makes some good observations about the possibility of robotic police.

He's had a couple interesting callers already too.

Lilith

Caller made me laugh,  he asks what's next?  Robot lives matter?  LOL's

Lilith

Clydes not afraid of robots, he loves R2D2 lol's

Quote from: brig on July 24, 2016, 08:13:18 AM
I understand.  I can't listen to the live broadcast...too many commercials

I agree. I only listened to one live show so far; he interviewed Richard Dolan. It was very interesting, but the flow kept getting interrupted by the commercials. I've listened to a lot of the podcasts, and find them more enjoyable. I understand that's the business, it's what pays the bills.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 24, 2016, 08:26:26 AM
While I'm not sure I buy into everything he's saying I find his show WAY more interesting than most of the others in the same genre. I'm reading a lot of criticism of Clyde here but, like a lot of criticism I read on Bellgab, it's big on the "I don't like" part but short on the "why." He's well spoken and has a good radio voice. He often has interesting guests that I've never heard on the other shows before.

He is well spoken, and is easy to listen to. Even if you don't necessarily believe or agree with the topic or guest, he keeps it interesting.

Lilith

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on July 27, 2016, 12:03:15 PM
Last night's show was a home run. Cloning neanderthal babies and Stalin's army of humanzee super soldiers

I'm listening now.  I had started, and it ran half way, but I got distracted by life, so I am starting over.

Kidnostad3

I have now listened to several episodes of Ground Zero which may or may not be a fair basis for evaluation.   Clyde is obviously an intelligent man and a much better host than Georgr Noory.  My problem with him is that he is much too strident and didactic for my taste.  It is one thing to have an opinion, layout the pertinent facts, and defend your conclusions.  It is quite another thing to try to hammer one's points home by loud repetition and a sky is falling tone.  He gives the impression that the things he chooses to address represent a grave threat threat to our health and wellbeing and warrant urgent action on our part or else.   Some small subset of his topics of concern may be worthy the hair-on-fire treatment he gives it.  Most are not and some of his concerns are downright silly.  Clyde would do well to modulate his delivery to fit the certainty, urgency and gravity of the perceived threat.  Lighten up Clyde!  The world does not depend on you to save it.

Lilith

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on July 28, 2016, 12:55:25 PM
I have now listened to several episodes of Ground Zero which may or may not be a fair basis for evaluation.   Clyde is obviously an intelligent man and a much better host than Georgr Noory.  My problem with him is that he is much too strident and didactic for my taste.  It is one thing to have an opinion, layout the pertinent facts, and defend your conclusions.  It is quite another thing to try to hammer one's points home by loud repetition and a sky is falling tone.  He gives the impression that the things he chooses to address represent a grave threat threat to our health and wellbeing and warrant urgent action on our part or else.   Some small subset of his topics of concern may be worthy the hair-on-fire treatment he gives it.  Most are not and some of his concerns are downright silly.  Clyde would do well to modulate his delivery to fit the certainty, urgency and gravity of the perceived threat.  Lighten up Clyde!  The world does not depend on you to save it.

Kid,

With that said, I am about to begin last nights episode.  VIVA LA ENTERTAINMENT FACTOR!! 
:P

Praise MV!