• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Music

Started by RealCool Daddio, April 24, 2011, 10:21:45 PM

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on May 17, 2019, 10:51:58 AM
King Billy and Cromwell would be proud of us!   Agree with you on A-Ha though.

Qvisling!  I used to attempt that frightful yodel in the shower.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 17, 2019, 10:44:54 AM
There's a sign near me on the river commemorating the day, a thousand years ago, a bunch of your delightful ancestors rowed to a nearby abbey, burned it down and slaughtered all the monks.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say Fuck Norway! Munch, Grieg, Hamsun, Ibsen, A-HA. They can all go fuck themselves. You know what you can do with your lutefisk too! Don't be swayed by the propaganda, give them the slightest encouragement and these bloody berserkers will go on the rampage again.

You realize of course that as an Englishman there's a damn good chance you have Norse blood.  Yeah, that's right--there's likely a Viking in your woodpile.  My family name is Norman and they  came from Cornwall.  On the distaff side they are mostly Anglo Saxon/Celt/French(Western European) and come from  Leicestershire.  The average Englishman is only 57% Anglo and the rest is sailor.   Check it out.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on May 17, 2019, 11:28:38 AM
You realize of course that as an Englishman there's a damn good chance you have Norse blood. 

I thought I was supposed to be from Bangladesh or Somalia or something. Thanks for pointing out that a lot of my ancestors were raped by these bastards. Don't expect me to participate in Cuddle-a-Norsk day. How can you call a nation civilised that eats brown cheese?

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 17, 2019, 11:20:54 AM
Qvisling!  I used to attempt that frightful yodel in the shower.
An extra serving of lutefisk for you if you also were using a hairbrush as a microphone and was looking in the mirror.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: albrecht on May 17, 2019, 12:17:44 PM
An extra serving of lutefisk for you if you also were using a hairbrush as a microphone and was looking in the mirror.

I'd really rather not speculate about the things he gets up to with a hairbrush.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 17, 2019, 12:12:48 PM
I thought I was supposed to be from Bangladesh or Somalia or something. Thanks for pointing out that a lot of my ancestors were raped by these bastards. Don't expect me to participate in Cuddle-a-Norsk day. How can you call a nation civilised that eats brown cheese?

C'mon--it wasn't all rape.  It was consensual interbreeding or a business transaction at the worst.  Get over it. 

albrecht

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on May 17, 2019, 03:52:30 PM
C'mon--it wasn't all rape.  It was interbreeding or a business transaction at the worst.  Get over it.
"Viking" society was actually fairly progressive, compared to Britain and other societies then, when it came to women's rights and landownership, wills, dowries, etc. And the rest of it. You got a ship full of men in foreign lands suddenly onshore. What happens, happens.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 17, 2019, 12:12:48 PM

It is not really cheese; it is just milk that is evaporated down to a near-solid consistency.  There are lots of kinds, cow or goat or both, enriched with cream and/or sugar, and a particularly joyless variety made with whey.  I've made it before -- you get a fist-sized lump from a couple gallons of goat milk.

Mexicans make a near-identical thing called cajeta with goat milk and sugar not too far from what we call prim but sweeter.  Good to spread on toast.  Put the Marmite down.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 18, 2019, 11:33:32 AM
It is not really cheese; it is just milk that is evaporated down to a near-solid consistency.  There are lots of kinds, cow or goat or both, enriched with cream and/or sugar, and a particularly joyless variety made with whey.  I've made it before -- you get a fist-sized lump from a couple gallons of goat milk.

Mexicans make a near-identical thing called cajeta with goat milk and sugar not too far from what we call prim but sweeter.  Good to spread on toast.  Put the Marmite down.

The first time I heard of brown cheese was when I was wading through the My Struggle books by Karl Ove Knaussgaard. Christ, you Norsks eat some crap, with your open sandwiches and obsession with fish. It just seems like one culinary horror story after another.

And don't diss Marmite.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 18, 2019, 01:40:54 PM
The first time I heard of brown cheese was when I was wading through the My Struggle books by Karl Ove Knaussgaard. Christ, you Norsks eat some crap, with your open sandwiches and obsession with fish. It just seems like one culinary horror story after another.

And don't diss Marmite.

Marmite is the pickings of the Devil's own navel.  I am sure it is some industrial waste product some enterprising capitalist determined to foist on the unsuspecting populace in that first frenzy of modern advertising.

It's funny, it seems like the rest of the world knows all about the savory/salty/sweet magic that happens when you reduce milk with sugar.  From Russia to Argentina they are happily bubbling away their cans of sweetened condensed milk to make the stuff.  The latest taste fad here is salted caramel which ticks two of the boxes but when you know what they're aiming at, it's just insipid.

I think you guys call it toffee but yours is pretty sweet stuff, but it is on the spectrum -- we like to taste the farmyard in all its goaty goodness.  It would probably help if you thought of the brown cheese as savory, sliceable toffee.

K_Dubb

A couple of skips and they're missing the single timpani roll in the Andante Festivo but the last piece is fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s23n3oOyRk

Taaroa

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 18, 2019, 08:34:44 PM
It's funny, it seems like the rest of the world knows all about the savory/salty/sweet magic that happens when you reduce milk with sugar.  From Russia to Argentina they are happily bubbling away their cans of sweetened condensed milk to make the stuff.  The latest taste fad here is salted caramel which ticks two of the boxes but when you know what they're aiming at, it's just insipid.

I think you guys call it toffee but yours is pretty sweet stuff, but it is on the spectrum -- we like to taste the farmyard in all its goaty goodness.  It would probably help if you thought of the brown cheese as savory, sliceable toffee.

What is the deal with how Americans pronounce caramel incorrectly?

Song unrelated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlBzre4-Krc

K_Dubb

Quote from: Taaroa on May 19, 2019, 01:19:08 AM
What is the deal with how Americans pronounce caramel incorrectly?

I have a theory that it comes from "caramel apple" which is probably how most of the country first learned the (suspiciously foreign-sounding and vaguely effete) word a hundred years ago.  Heard with its natural mate the idiosyncratic pronunciation actually manages to sound more euphonious than the standard.  In metrical terms, they are matching trochees.

Or maybe through association with Mount Carmel in the Bible where the prophets of Baal were

caramelized.  8)

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 19, 2019, 01:44:59 AM
I have a theory that it comes from "caramel apple" which is probably how most of the country first learned the (suspiciously foreign-sounding and vaguely effete) word a hundred years ago.  Heard with its natural mate the idiosyncratic pronunciation actually manages to sound more euphonious than the standard.  In metrical terms, they are matching trochees.

You idiots don't pronounce the aspirate in 'herb' either. How can these people be trusted?

SredniVashtar

And 'solder' comes out as 'sawdah'. Bloody fools. When we got rid of you (don't fall for this revisionist nonsense about winning your independence) it was a great relief.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 19, 2019, 02:06:01 AM
And 'solder' comes out as 'sawdah'. Bloody fools. When we got rid of you (don't fall for this revisionist nonsense about winning your independence) it was a great relief.

Maybe when you say it.  Most of us can sound the terminal r.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 19, 2019, 01:44:59 AM
In metrical terms, they are matching trochees.

They sound more like spondees to me.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 19, 2019, 02:09:56 AM
They sound more like spondees to me.

You give both syllables of "apple" equal weight?  What kind of monster are you?

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 19, 2019, 02:08:18 AM
Maybe when you say it.  Most of us can sound the terminal r.

I can, I just don't. It sounds a bit rustic.

Everyone does in the West country. And the East for that matter. That's where it came from, a lot of your early immigrants like Franklin came from there.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 19, 2019, 02:11:09 AM
You give both syllables of "apple" equal weight?  What kind of monster are you?

Someone who tries to keep our language pristine. Not like some people who drag it through the gutter.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 19, 2019, 02:16:43 AM
Someone who tries to keep our language pristine. Not like some people who drag it through the gutter.

Would that be gut-taire, M. LePew?

SredniVashtar

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r5SX3A-ifME

You want your terminal r? You asked for it!

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 19, 2019, 02:19:44 AM
Would that be gut-taire, M. LePew?

;D

I suppose you think that's a trochee too. Frightful feller doesn't know his iambs from his trochees. Which explains why he makes such an anapest of himself with his poetry.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 19, 2019, 02:28:31 AM
;D

I suppose you think that's a trochee too. Frightful feller doesn't know his iambs from his trochees. Which explains why he makes such an anapest of himself with his poetry.

Ha!  I seem to remember you were whining the other day about how my meter was too conservative.  I. e., correct.  It is; it runs like a clock.  I point an accusing dactyl at you for a prevaricating jackanapes.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 19, 2019, 02:38:38 AM
Ha!  I seem to remember you were whining the other day about how my meter was too conservative.  I. e., correct.  It is; it runs like a clock.  I point an accusing dactyl at you for a prevaricating jackanapes.

It sounds like your clock is missing a spring or two. You're supposed to be Norwegian not Swiss. Comparing his verses to machinery. Sniff! How velly velly vulgar.