• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Music

Started by RealCool Daddio, April 24, 2011, 10:21:45 PM

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on June 29, 2013, 12:44:37 AM
By the way Eddie, your taste in music is impeccable.
The feeling is mutual, brother. Your current avatar is a particular favorite of mine(I prefer the "ruined" Bowie mix to the '96 reissue)

Never saw Metheny live, which annoys me because he used to perform free(or close to it) concerts at Berklee School of Music, a place I walk by 3-4 times a week. My God, are the students there irritating though. They make the sidewalks of the surrounding area into their "jam space". Amusing/entertaining for tourists, but quick to annoy if you work/live in the area.

Been listening to a lot of 70's music lately, so tonight decided to listen to something from this epoch. 

Bad Seeds.

Nocturama.

Incredible.

Sardondi

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on July 05, 2013, 11:12:17 PM
Been listening to a lot of 70's music lately, so tonight decided to listen to something from this epoch.
Bad Seeds....
My recollection is that they were an 80's band, and part of the introspective near-goth post-punk movement. IMO it was most unfortunate that they got a shot of revival juice from having the creepy, Children-Of-The-Corn-y "O Children" inserted into Deathly Hallows I in a truly embarrassing scene of what was supposed to represent a temporary return of adolescent happy-go-luckiness, but which appeared instead as forced on the movie as second-breakfast on a pate'-doomed goose. *shudder* Music to hold a child sacrifice by.

I'd have to choose instead the plain, old Seeds, a pioneer garage band from the mid-60's. They were among the true pioneers of the proto-punk movement, and so in a sense ancestors of The Bad Seeds, although they sounded nothing alike. This is their biggest hit, "Pushin' Too Hard". Note the surprisingly advanced production values, as well as the great pride front man and minor psychedelic celeb Sky Saxon took in his lip-synching. What a pro. *ahem* 

Pushin Too Hard The Seeds 1967

Quote from: Sardondi on July 06, 2013, 12:05:37 AM
My recollection is that they were an 80's band, and part of the introspective near-goth post-punk movement. IMO it was most unfortunate that they got a shot of revival juice from having the creepy, Children-Of-The-Corn-y "O Children" inserted into Deathly Hallows I in a truly embarrassing scene of what was supposed to represent a temporary return of adolescent happy-go-luckiness, but which appeared instead as forced on the movie as second-breakfast on a pate'-doomed goose. *shudder* Music to hold a child sacrifice by.

I'd have to choose instead the plain, old Seeds, a pioneer garage band from the mid-60's. They were among the true pioneers of the proto-punk movement, and so in a sense ancestors of The Bad Seeds, although they sounded nothing alike. This is their biggest hit, "Pushin' Too Hard". Note the surprisingly advanced production values, as well as the great pride front man and minor psychedelic celeb Sky Saxon took in his lip-synching. What a pro. *ahem* 

Pushin Too Hard The Seeds 1967

Oh, I love the Seeds.  I have posted this before on another thread, but it's worth a repost:
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=seeds+can%27t+seem+to+make+you+mine&view=detail&mid=C788EFA5C1D9F7D7DC0BC788EFA5C1D9F7D7DC0B&first=0&FORM=NVPFVR[/size]

Sardondi

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on July 06, 2013, 12:41:05 AM

Oh, I love the Seeds.  I have posted this before on another thread, but it's worth a repost:
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=seeds+can%27t+seem+to+make+you+mine&view=detail&mid=C788EFA5C1D9F7D7DC0BC788EFA5C1D9F7D7DC0B&first=0&FORM=NVPFVR[/size]
Heh. The Seeds' next-biggest hit!

As for the vid itself, that was simply inspired. How does someone "see" that and know what is a good "fit"? It's a gift, I guess.

Sardondi

As luck would have it Later...with Jools Holland just featured Grinderman, fronted of course by Nick Cave. I thought they were absolutely fantastic, and so different from how I remembered the lugubrious 1985 Nick Cave. 

Quote from: Sardondi on July 06, 2013, 04:59:20 PM
As luck would have it Later...with Jools Holland just featured Grinderman, fronted of course by Nick Cave. I thought they were absolutely fantastic, and so different from how I remembered the lugubrious 1985 Nick Cave.
Been meaning to get the Grinderman albums, thanks for the reminder!

As much as I miss Art, his absence from the airwaves has allowed me to reconnect with my music collection.  So far tonight - the Sheepdogs, Thin Lizzy, Budgie and up next:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jlbunmCbTBA[/size]

[/size]

Sardondi

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on July 06, 2013, 06:23:48 PMBeen meaning to get the Grinderman albums, thanks for the reminder!
I thought the "Heathen Child" Later... performance was far better than the studio version.

lonevoice

Just dropping a little something off for West of the Rockies.   I'm not a Bob Marley uber-fan, but there are times when the vibe of his more joyful songs fit my mood.  Here's one of my favorites:

Is This Love - Bob Marley & The Wailers

Thanks, lonevoice...  I'm not an uber-fan either.  It's funny, back in college, I actually announced classical music for a couple years.  It began as a volunteer position but became paid.  I am pretty eclectic, musically speaking.  Most of the time, I end up playing either world music (where I don't understand the lyrics) or ambient/new age stuff that has no real lyrics.  I don't like how with the radio, whatever song the DJ is in the mood to hear ends up in your head.  I get tired of 50 love songs in a row.  Is Dalilah still doing that sappy love-song show in the evening?

Cynnie

I guess im the only one who loves Die Antwoord ?

lonevoice

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 14, 2013, 04:57:56 PM
I am pretty eclectic, musically speaking.
I like reading this thread once in awhile because there are some frequent posters here with eclectic musical taste.   There have been a lot of artists mentioned with whom I'm unfamiliar, and I enjoy learning more about them.   My own CD carousel might include anything from Joe Bonamassa to Arthur Rubenstein playing Chopin polonaises.

Eddie Coyle pegged my meter earlier in the thread by including the Koln Concert in his top 10 favorite recordings.   That's an album I bought on vinyl with my allowance when I was a kid.  For my money, it's the most perfect live improvisational piano solo ever recorded.   If I was going to be stuck on a desert island and could only have one CD, that would be it.

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 14, 2013, 04:57:56 PM
I don't like how with the radio, whatever song the DJ is in the mood to hear ends up in your head.  I get tired of 50 love songs in a row.  Is Dalilah still doing that sappy love-song show in the evening?
"I'm tired of moon-songs of star and of June songs,
They simply make me nap
And ditties romantic drive me nearly frantic
I think they're all full of pap "

http://youtu.be/nzgD2QvOdlk

Digitech

I'm not sure I can think of a song with such a white-hot, furious, raw energy as this one. Billy Corgan's singing may sound awful, but it's also a crucial ingredient to the performance.

http://youtu.be/p1Q68zzvKHI

lonevoice

Quote from: Cynnie on July 14, 2013, 07:07:32 PM
I guess im the only one who loves Die Antwoord ?

Their music isn't really to my taste, though I Fink U Freaky has a pretty good vocal hook, and I understand the counter-culture appeal of the zef style.  My guess is that in the near future they'll regret their attention-whoring feud with Lady Gaga after she offered them a golden ticket to commercial success.  They'd probably argue that they're too cool to care about that, but some of their career choices say otherwise.  Still, the feud did lead to the Fatty Boom Boom video and a Lady Gaga-impersonating tranny giving birth to a giant prawn, so there is that.   :)   Die Antwoord has benefited tremendously from their collaboration with Roger Ballen, elevating some of their videos to the status of concept art, with a nod to Lynch's Eraserhead for good measure.  If not for their videos, I'm not sure they'd have had much of an impact outside of South Africa.

As an aside, I don't think Yolandi actually needs Ninja.  She's by far the more compelling of the two, in my subjective opinion.  I credit her for contributing to the creation of the black-eyed children urban legend.

Yorkshire pud

I heard this the other evening on the radio (Jo Wiley-BBC, Radio 2, wednesday) ..Sometimes a song grabs you in th emost subtle ways..THIS is her voice and the simplicity of the melody...Jeeze, how beautiful can something be?

London Grammar - Strong (Official Audio)

Dax Riggs, former singer of the "sludge" band Acid Bath, covering "Yesterday".  This dude deserved a much better career:

Dax Riggs - "Yesterday" [HQ audio] - July 11, 2003 - Hattiesburg, MS

Took my son to see Sabbath tonight.  Outdoor show, 90 plus degrees, Ozzy wilted in the last half.  But pretty good show.

N.I.B was epic.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on July 25, 2013, 10:49:48 PM
Took my son to see Sabbath tonight.  Outdoor show, 90 plus degrees, Ozzy wilted in the last half.  But pretty good show.

I was wondering how Ozzy would endure. The last two times I saw him( 6/15/96, 6/14/97) he barely, and I mean barely made it through the show, and the '96 concert had him vanish from stage for nearly 25 minutes. And he was in his late 40's then, not 64!

Iommi and Geezer, I have far less concerns even with their advanced age and Tony's cancer. They're remarkably steady, I saw them in 92'(Dio),'94(Tony Martin),'97 Ozzfest and they sounded really good.

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 25, 2013, 11:58:56 PMI was wondering how Ozzy would endure. The last two times I saw him( 6/15/96, 6/14/97) he barely, and I mean barely made it through the show, and the '96 concert had him vanish from stage for nearly 25 minutes. And he was in his late 40's then, not 64!....
I think it has little to do with physical stamina, and so much more to do with the fact his brain is probably the size of a large walnut and bored through and through like Swiss cheese.

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on July 25, 2013, 10:49:48 PM
Took my son to see Sabbath tonight...

That's cool, what did he have to say about it?

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 25, 2013, 11:58:56 PM
         I was wondering how Ozzy would endure. The last two times I saw him( 6/15/96, 6/14/97) he barely, and I mean barely made it through the show, and the '96 concert had him vanish from stage for nearly 25 minutes. And he was in his late 40's then, not 64!

Iommi and Geezer, I have far less concerns even with their advanced age and Tony's cancer. They're remarkably steady, I saw them in 92'(Dio),'94(Tony Martin),'97 Ozzfest and they sounded really good.

Iommi and Geezer were fine, which is pretty incredible given the heat, the head to toe leather for Tony, the lights, etc.  Just standing in the crowd in t shirts and shorts we were melting, so gotta hand it to them, even Ozzy.  But he hardly moved, shuffled around like a man 20 years his senior.  His pipes were pretty good, though.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on July 26, 2013, 05:15:42 AM

That's cool, what did he have to say about it?
He liked it a lot, but doesn't have a lot to compare it to.  Only his second concert, first being Kiss a couple years ago. He was disappointed they didn't play his favorite song - Symptom of the Universe -, but loved the drum solo, and Geezer's solo ("Basically") before N.I.B.  we both agreed N.I.B.  was the highlight - it was about half an in, band was warmed up, heavy as hell, and Ozzy's voice still fresh.

"Oh, Yeah!"

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on July 26, 2013, 07:21:25 AM
He liked it a lot, but doesn't have a lot to compare it to.  Only his second concert, first being Kiss a couple years ago. He was disappointed they didn't play his favorite song - Symptom of the Universe -,
Just checked the Houston setlist and saw nothing from Sabotage, which is a bummer because it's not only my favorite Ozzy era album, it's in my all time top 10 altogether.
Quote from: RealCool Daddio on July 26, 2013, 07:15:38 AM
Iommi and Geezer were fine, which is pretty incredible given the heat, the head to toe leather for Tony, the lights, etc.  Just standing in the crowd in t shirts and shorts we were melting, so gotta hand it to them, even Ozzy.
I saw Judas Priest in Providence in the summer of '88, it was incredibly hot out, with the venue being even hotter...and yet they still had the leather, Halford probably with 15 pounds of it. As someone who has hyperhydrosis in 50 degree temps, I found it amazing.

onan

I don't know much about Ozzie... I quit listening to him when sweatleaf was still on the charts.

what I can tell you is he appears to be the victim of 35-40 years of anti-psychotics.

Sardondi

Quote from: onan on July 26, 2013, 03:49:38 PM...what I can tell you is he appears to be the victim of 35-40 years of anti-psychotics.
Yep. Got that Parkinson's look.

Quote from: onan on July 26, 2013, 03:49:38 PM
I don't know much about Ozzie... I quit listening to him when sweatleaf was still on the charts.

what I can tell you is he appears to be the victim of 35-40 years of anti-psychotics.
You might want to scratch the "anti"!

Usagi

La Luz - Sure as Spring

I love the surfy girl-group vibe of this band.  I've been listening to their album all day, so I thought I'd share.

--

And, anyway, Ozzy sucks.  Sometimes I inexplicably get "If I Close My Eyes Forever" stuck in my head and I hate myself.