• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Music

Started by RealCool Daddio, April 24, 2011, 10:21:45 PM

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 21, 2013, 10:44:20 PM
         Their best album,IMO. And absolutely overlooked and forgotten outside the blue moon occurence of "Industrial Disease" being played on classic rock. Of course, played once for every 67,871 spins of Money For Nothing, and 187,917 of Sultans of Swing.
They were pretty huge, back in my youth in Montreal. Industrial Disease was a big hit in the local market, and the album went platinum in Canada within a few months of being released.  I think it only went Gold in the US, four years later.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on June 21, 2013, 11:10:08 PM
They were pretty huge, back in my youth in Montreal. Industrial Disease was a big hit in the local market, and the album went platinum in Canada within a few months of being released.  I think it only went Gold in the US, four years later.
Dire Straits were kinda treading popularity wise in the US in that Love Over Gold-era, the album barely scraped into the top 20(number 19 in late '82) and didn't have the "radio" hits of the first few albums. And then live album bombed here...which makes the blockbuster success of Brothers in Arms all the more flukey in retrospect(thank you MTV)

But Brothers success did revive their earlier work, I remember V66 in Boston playing the video for "Skateaway" a lot in the fall of '85, a good five years after the initial release.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 21, 2013, 11:29:51 PM
     Dire Straits were kinda treading popularity wise in the US in that Love Over Gold-era, the album barely scraped into the top 20(number 19 in late '82) and didn't have the "radio" hits of the first few albums. And then live album bombed here...which makes the blockbuster success of Brothers in Arms all the more flukey in retrospect(thank you MTV)

But Brothers success did revive their earlier work, I remember V66 in Boston playing the video for "Skateaway" a lot in the fall of '85, a good five years after the initial release.
Sometimes Canada was a bit ahead of the curve getting into music from the UK in the seventies and eighties.  We obviously have strong ties mother England, and we were able to get ahold of John Peel well before our friends in the US.

We were doubly blessed in that we also got the cool American music before the folks in Europe did.  Kiss, the Ramones, Bruce Springsteen, Blondie, the Cars - we got them as it happened.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on June 21, 2013, 11:49:43 PM
Sometimes Canada was a bit ahead of the curve getting into music from the UK in the seventies and eighties.  We obviously have strong ties mother England, and we were able to get ahold of John Peel well before our friends in the US.

Ideally, I should have had that benefit as well. So many of my relatives and friend's families were from the auld sod, that we SHOULD have had access to what was cool in the UK...however, that wasn't really the case. My 16 year old uncle was sent from Boston to live in Ireland in 1975(returned in '78), but his taste in music stunk, so no advantage there. My friends whose parents were off the boat...tended to be fans of trad Irish music. The Chieftains were too radical for them.

* I spent quite a bit of time in Ireland in the mid 90's and was horrified by how much bad music from North America infiltrated there. Fucking Garth Brooks was on the radio constantly. And strangely, Bon Jovi seemed to have a following there(1994-95)

Sardondi

One of my pleasures is to listen to BBC spoken word programs on what used to be the old BBC4 and BBC7 channels. They've now been combined (I think) into "BBC 4 Extra", which is dedicated to spoken-word programming such as plays adapted or written for radio, books read by actors or interviews of famous or interesting personages, and reruns of ancient BBC comedy shows, drama serials or various entertainment including the hoary old "Desert Island Discs". It's a wonderful bit of something different.

I recently listened to a short series of a guy who for one year listened to a different radio station every day. (Not only does London have a huge amount of listening choices, but the internet has changed radio forever.) But there was a reference to "Resonance Radio", 103.4 FM London. Resonance is a collective non-profit effort, a throwback to "free form" radio of the 60's, but with less rock and more true "world music". I've never heard anything like it. It's just so weird. Local coverage is only about 6 miles across, but the internet is your friend.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 22, 2013, 12:37:41 AM

* I spent quite a bit of time in Ireland in the mid 90's and was horrified by how much bad music from North America infiltrated there. Fucking Garth Brooks was on the radio constantly. And strangely, Bon Jovi seemed to have a following there(1994-95)

Inexplicably, both still do have a large following on this side of the pond. Bon Jovi can guarantee sell out tours in the UK, and the radio and TV music journos fall over themselves to get the next re-run of the same interview they conducted 5-10-20 years ago.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on June 21, 2013, 11:10:08 PM

I saw Dire Straits live on the penultimate date of their Brothers in Arms tour. Supported by Lyle Lovett and his Large Band (I'd never heard of him), and Was Not Was..They didn't play "I feel better than James Brown" and were dreadful..truly dreadful.

Which brings us to the main event.. Technically flawless. Tight as a tight thing. The extended Telegraph Road was astonishing, two drum kits that were played as one. Knopfler being his usual virtuoso self. But... They were bored and it showed. I didn't blame them, I suppose after ten continuous gigs things get a bit stale, but they'd done dozens by then. There was no fizz, no excitement. 

Elton John was double billed with Clapton at the old Wembley stadium (the week after or before Dire Straits, I can't remember which), and for someone who sits at a piano was one hell of a performer. He made the place rock. Clapton drifted onto stage at the beginning of his set head to foot in a white suit, the band were jamming a free flowing little ditty, and then a pause: Opening bar of Layla and the place erupted. My reservations with Clapton were I don't think he has much stage presence, but he is pretty good as a guitarist (Well okay, maybe better than pretty good  :) ) The one who made my day was Ray Cooper on percussion..Now he is a showman! Look him up if you haven't seen him.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on June 24, 2013, 12:44:17 AM

I saw Dire Straits live on the penultimate date of their Brothers in Arms tour. Supported by Lyle Lovett and his Large Band (I'd never heard of him), and Was Not Was..They didn't play "I feel better than James Brown" and were dreadful..truly dreadful.

Which brings us to the main event.. Technically flawless. Tight as a tight thing. The extended Telegraph Road was astonishing, two drum kits that were played as one. Knopfler being his usual virtuoso self. But... They were bored and it showed. I didn't blame them, I suppose after ten continuous gigs things get a bit stale, but they'd done dozens by then. There was no fizz, no excitement. 

Elton John was double billed with Clapton at the old Wembley stadium (the week after or before Dire Straits, I can't remember which), and for someone who sits at a piano was one hell of a performer. He made the place rock. Clapton drifted onto stage at the beginning of his set head to foot in a white suit, the band were jamming a free flowing little ditty, and then a pause: Opening bar of Layla and the place erupted. My reservations with Clapton were I don't think he has much stage presence, but he is pretty good as a guitarist (Well okay, maybe better than pretty good  :) ) The one who made my day was Ray Cooper on percussion..Now he is a showman! Look him up if you haven't seen him.
I remember Cooper being a rather energetic presence at those Ronnie Lane benefits in the early 80's and also seemingly a regular at the Prince's Trust shows in the mid 80's as well.

I saw Clapton(4/14/1998) because the girl was I seeing then insisted...and EC sleepwalked the first half of the show. I think 4 of the first 6 songs were from that Pilgrim album out at the time. Got better toward the end, did "Sunshine of Your Love" as an encore. But couldn't agree more about his muted stage presence, which is something which has prevented him from being a transcendent live performer, literally going back to the days of Blind Faith when he began to reject the guitar hero notion. The guy didn't even start doing Cream material in concert until the mid 80's, when his ticket sales were in decline. Great guitarist, but never had the verve or stage presence of say, Jeff Beck.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on June 24, 2013, 12:36:02 AM

Inexplicably, both still do have a large following on this side of the pond. Bon Jovi can guarantee sell out tours in the UK, and the radio and TV music journos fall over themselves to get the next re-run of the same interview they conducted 5-10-20 years ago.
That's unfortunate, you have my apologies. Though there could be good news! Bon Jovi has had to cancel a show at the Cleveland Browns stadium in July due to meager ticket sales(reportedly 3,000 seats sold...for a place that can hold about 35,000 for a concert)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 24, 2013, 01:52:51 AM

That's unfortunate, you have my apologies. Though there could be good news! Bon Jovi has had to cancel a show at the Cleveland Browns stadium in July due to meager ticket sales(reportedly 3,000 seats sold...for a place that can hold about 35,000 for a concert)

The film Spinal Tap, is accepted as the parody of all big hair rock bands from the last thirty years plus..That Bon Jovi "Love being back in England" every time they do a tour here is obviously payday..last time (a couple of months ago) they even broadcast the sound check before the evening gig at the BBC radio theatre! Spinal Tap was so on the money it's spooky.

Sardondi

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on June 24, 2013, 12:44:17 AM...The one who made my day was Ray Cooper on percussion..Now he is a showman! Look him up if you haven't seen him.
Heh. The insane conga man. Indeed a great showman, as some of EJ's 80-90's video concerts attest. I recall Cooper coming on board with EJ as a touring member of the band (instead of just a studio guy) sometime around the Rock of The Westies album. Seems that even way back then, almost 40 years ago, Cooper's bandmates thought him so old they referred to him in liner notes as "Señor Emil Varicoso".

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Sardondi on June 24, 2013, 02:50:38 AM
Heh. The insane conga man. Indeed a great showman, as some of EJ's 80-90's video concerts attest. I recall Cooper coming on board with EJ as a touring member of the band (instead of just a studio guy) sometime around the Rock of The Westies album. Seems that even way back then, almost 40 years ago, Cooper's bandmates thought him so old they referred to him in liner notes as "Señor Emil Varicoso".

Just for you; I dug this up... mit the great Steve Ferrone.  Ray Cooper being shy and retiring.

Steve Ferrone e Ray Cooper

I haven't scanned the 25 previous pages to see if this has been brought up, but do any of you like ambient music (new-age, deep space electronic drone sort of stuff, a la Steve Roach)?  Sometimes when I want background noise but not voice, I'll go with this type of "soundscape".

Quote from: West of the Rockies on June 24, 2013, 11:53:21 AM
I haven't scanned the 25 previous pages to see if this has been brought up, but do any of you like ambient music (new-age, deep space electronic drone sort of stuff, a la Steve Roach)?  Sometimes when I want background noise but not voice, I'll go with this type of "soundscape".

There was an older music thread with a user named Avi that posted lots of that stuff. It seems pretty common out there with I Heart Radio and SPA and Hearts of Space.
Unless by Steve Roach you are particularly referring to music using a didgeridoo?
Would Brian Eno count?

I thought this was quite good, but I'm not sure if its exactly what you were looking for

http://youtu.be/a4zssJJLzeo

Yorkshire pud

Tangerine Dream? I posted a request a few months ago, for a Si Fi tune I know they wrote, but even though I've looked at the various movies oon YT with TG soundtracks, none spring to mind. Isoa Tomita is another one: He had an LP (Give me a moment to be smug that I never got rid of my turntable! Thorens) that was intended to be played with five speakers in the shape of a pyramid..No idea how that was hooked into the amp. The guy's 80 years old! Incredible.

This guy was under rated in my opinion..Live he was brilliant.

Howard Jones - Hide and Seek (RARE! Music Video)

I put this one into a video soundtrack..I like the 'rushing sound;...It's what clouds would sound like at high speed if you could hear them I think. Man.  ;D

Jean Michel Jarre - EIC Santiago - Chronologie Part 1

Sometimes when I want background noise but not voice, I'll go with this type of "soundscape".

I think you can download lots of this stuff for free:
http://archive.org/details/earth-mantra
http://relaxedmachinery.com/earthmantra/releases.php

Kit Watkins
http://archive.org/details/earman059

Also here is "music" made from sounds collected by instruments on actual spacecraft:
http://www-pw.physics.uiowa.edu/space-audio/

onan

When I can't sleep, and I don't want to listen to Art, I use this site:

http://www.soundstosleepto.com/

very relaxing... not music however.

Thanks for the responses, guys & gals...  My wife definitely is not into this type of music, so I usually have to listen when I have the place to myself.  Yes, Hearts of Space is a great resource for those who enjoy ambient music.

Quote from: West of the Rockies on June 24, 2013, 05:32:58 PM
Thanks for the responses, guys & gals...  My wife definitely is not into this type of music, so I usually have to listen when I have the place to myself.  Yes, Hearts of Space is a great resource for those who enjoy ambient music.
You might want to try Jonn Serrie or Telomere, even better than Roach for Space Ambient, IMO.

Eddie Coyle

This mood music oozes pure sex.

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 24, 2013, 06:18:09 PM
          This mood music oozes pure sex.

Ah, yes. Zamfir, the master of the pan flute, is indeed music to read that greatest of all works of love, The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam:
"A loaf of bread. A jug of wine. And thou, my beautiful goat."

ItsOver

Looks like it's getting close to veering off into Cusco-land.  Cusco is one of those music selections which will always say "Art Bell," regardless of Noory's shameless overplay.

The General

This banner ad cracked me up today. 

[attach=1]

Wow, cutting edge! 
An album that was released 40 years ago is available to listen to on the internet?
What's next, wireless telephones???

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: The General on June 27, 2013, 11:41:20 PM
This banner ad cracked me up today.

Wow, cutting edge! 
An album that was released 40 years ago is available to listen to on the internet?

Damn. And I just taped it off the radio. Took 7 months in all, these friggin' DJs talk over the intro to "Time" and finally after months of requesting it, they finally played "Any Colour You Like", so now I have the full album on one side of a  90 minute Maxell.

Now, my quest to get Zep IV on side two. Wish me luck!

Something about the words "90-minute Maxwell" made me think of something, Eddie.  In jr. high I had an English teacher (the best teacher I ever had, actually) who would play an old-time radio show for us once every few weeks on a Friday.  We'd then be tested -- he called it a listening-skills exercise:  "What color was the sedan that the Gangbusters were searching for?"

A friend and I became inspired to make our own "old-time" radio show.  It was a fairly dreadful science fiction piece involving astronauts and time travel.  But the teacher liked it and played it for the class as though it were actually some show he had heard as a kid himself.  Everyone knew pretty quickly that it was not the real deal, and the fact that my friend and I were chortling with embarrassment didn't help. 

Unfortunatey, unlike in the movie Super 8 (JJ Abrahms), we had no beautiful blonde classmate to help us, nor any interaction with an actual alien.

Any of you guys and gals try to make your own radio show or movie?

Just listened to the studio half of Ummagumma.  Tough to get into without the aid of the psychedelics that I used in my teenage years. 

Gonna give Trick of the Tail a spin....

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: West of the Rockies on June 28, 2013, 10:39:10 AM

Any of you guys and gals try to make your own radio show or movie?
Insomnia, Dissociative Disorder and a general disdain for human interaction lead to my "one man show", basically, an 9 year old doing The Phil Hendrie show(without the benefit of knowing such thing existed) in the winter of 1984-85. It was a mix of bad impression, stereotypical racial "accents" and a high dose of coprolalia...sometimes accompanied with a Casio that I never quite got around to learning how to play.

Just awful, the type of thing that got kids ECT back then, but I was smart enough to keep those tapes to myself. But better than Noory.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on June 28, 2013, 11:57:25 PM
Just listened to the studio half of Ummagumma.  Tough to get into without the aid of the psychedelics that I used in my teenage years. 

Gonna give Trick of the Tail a spin....
Early Floyd can have that affect. A bit ponderous if you're not in the right mood. Personally, I'm in one of those "mellow"(puff) moods tonight, and have listened to Van's Saint Dominic's Preview, Tim Buckley's Lorca and right now Pat Metheny's 80/81.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 29, 2013, 12:18:34 AM
        Early Floyd can have that affect. A bit ponderous if you're not in the right mood. Personally, I'm in one of those "mellow"(puff) moods tonight, and have listened to Van's Saint Dominic's Preview, Tim Buckley's Lorca and right now Pat Metheny's 80/81.
Saw Metheny jam with Santana at the Montreal Jazz fest a long time ago. Outdoor show, the summer, purple sage in the air...it was magical.

By the way Eddie, your taste in music is impeccable.