• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Anyone remember Bruce Williams?

Started by Bell2Gray, April 20, 2011, 10:49:49 PM

rodanders

Amazing!  I was just thinking about him today.  Was gonna look him up and forgot entirely.  Now I read your message.  And I haven't thought about him for 20 years.  I need to look him up to see if he's still alive and possibly doing shows.

Neil

I was a huge Bruce Williams fan.  I started listening to him towards the end of his run.  Some of my fondest memories were doing field work, and listening to Bruce.  In the last few years, a few of my favorite radio personalities have retired (Bruce and Art Bell included), and I'm having a hard time finding anybody to keep me entertained, like they did.   :'(

BTW, to the poster above me, Bruce is very much alive.  He talked of possibly doing an internet-only show.  We can only hope!   :D

vulgate

I used to listen to Bruce all the time in the 80s/90s. In an age before the Internet, it was awesome for people to be able to call Bruce looking for answers to their questions. The guy had some a diverse collection of experiences he could use with his callers. Today, a lot of the questions could probably be answered by Google.

I remember listening to him and Neil Myers as a kid. I think that catchy TalkNet theme song got me hooked.

I'm trying really hard to find some recordings of Bruce's show from back in the day (at least before 9/11 when it got all political). If any of you guys have leads on any tapes, drop me a line. I even went as far as to set up at website to help find Bruce Williams radio recordings.

Before automation sucked the soul out of radio, I used to board op his show on a local station I worked in the late 80's.   His was also the only talk show I called into to.  I can't find the theme from back then but these are still great.

TalkNet Radio Show - Bruce Williams Theme Song Music 1992-1996

vulgate

Quote from: Mister Coincidence on August 11, 2011, 12:50:00 PM
Before automation sucked the soul out of radio, I used to board op his show on a local station I worked in the late 80's.   His was also the only talk show I called into to.  I can't find the theme from back then but these are still great.

TalkNet Radio Show - Bruce Williams Theme Song Music 1992-1996

I think all the Talknet hosts used the same theme in the late 80s. This might be the one you're looking for.

Neil Myers - Talknet Radio Show - 1989

Neil Myers!!......he was the guy I was trying to think of who replaced Sally Jesse Raphael as the lovelorn advice portion of the show.......he was very good.....thanks for that find!

Frys Girl

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on April 21, 2011, 11:52:32 AM
bruce williams is awesome.  i highly recommend his show to anyone over the age of 18.  there's something for everyone.

http://www.radioconetwork.com/rss/bwrss2.xml
LMAO didn't you do a spoof of him once? I think you played it on trainwreck. I like Bruce too. The best way to describe him his "swell." I heard him do a rant on airlines once and it was dead on, but the delivery was kinda funny. It's too bad he retired.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Frys Girl on August 15, 2011, 10:17:18 AM
LMAO didn't you do a spoof of him once? I think you played it on trainwreck. I like Bruce too. The best way to describe him his "swell." I heard him do a rant on airlines once and it was dead on, but the delivery was kinda funny. It's too bad he retired.
yup, but i have no idea where that audio has gone.

Great memories of Bruce Williams from back in...98 I think?  He had a unique talent for sternly correcting callers that were way off base, but in an endearing way.  Almost like a chiding grandfather saying "What are you DOING?".  I always liked his sign offs before a commercial:

"I'm Bruce Williams..."

(a seemingly interminable pause)

"This is Talknet."

stevesh

I had to resurrect this thread after hearing George Knapp's interview last night with Brian Holland, who spent more time than he should have whining about being unemployed after his 11 year 'career' as an FBI snitch.

Among my favorite Bruce Willams sayings was this: "Everybody loves a whistleblower. Nobody hires one."

I think I miss Bruce almost as much as I miss Art.

Neil

Just to make Bruce fans aware, he's doing an internet show.  Has been for about a month now.  Only a couple hours a week, but still better than nothing.  Check it out at http://taeradio.com/

Frys Girl

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on August 17, 2011, 04:41:35 PM
yup, but i have no idea where that audio has gone.
Pleaseeeeeee do another one. Those were my favorite part of the podcast, Bruce Williams being the highlight.

The General

Been listening to Bruce's podcast.  You thought his radio show sounded like he was broadcasting from a la-z-boy recliner whlist donning a bath robe?  His advancing years, lack of callers, and easy manner really make his podcast a relaxing enterprise.  I'm not complaining.  I enjoy it.

Bruce wants to talk to me about Pork Roll.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Frys Girl on May 23, 2012, 06:50:21 AM
Pleaseeeeeee do another one. Those were my favorite part of the podcast, Bruce Williams being the highlight.

Here is the audio to which she refers.  Jeeze... I just realized this was like 8 or 9 years ago.

Frys Girl

Quote from: The General on June 14, 2012, 03:51:03 PM
Been listening to Bruce's podcast.  You thought his radio show sounded like he was broadcasting from a la-z-boy recliner whlist donning a bath robe?  His advancing years, lack of callers, and easy manner really make his podcast a relaxing enterprise.  I'm not complaining.  I enjoy it.

Bruce wants to talk to me about Pork Roll.
I love his rant on flying. He had all these tips for the airline industry.

Frys Girl

Quote from: MV on June 14, 2012, 07:27:40 PM

Here is the audio to which she refers.  Jeeze... I just realized this was like 8 or 9 years ago.
"Slow down tiger!" "We drop these terms all over the place." Thank you so much for posting this Michael. This is classic stuff.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Frys Girl on June 14, 2012, 07:52:01 PM
"Slow down tiger!" "We drop these terms all over the place." Thank you so much for posting this Michael. This is classic stuff.

lol... bruce used to always say that about terms being thrown around.  and he called EVERYONE tiger.

ziznak

THis was a friggin hoot

Frys Girl

Quote from: MV on June 14, 2012, 08:58:09 PM

lol... bruce used to always say that about terms being thrown around.  and he called EVERYONE tiger.
I swear I think he said in his airline rant that he told the airline counter attendant to "slow down" when she was telling him the new procedures and fees. Too funny.

The General

ha ha, nice work. 

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Frys Girl on June 15, 2012, 05:58:14 AM
I swear I think he said in his airline rant that he told the airline counter attendant to "slow down" when she was telling him the new procedures and fees. Too funny.

lawl... yeah, that really cracks me up.  and general... i've been listening to his podcast, too.  i'm REALLY glad he's doing it.  makes me feel like at least SOMETHING has remained the same.

HorrorRetro

TalkNet's Sally Jesse Raphael and Bruce Williams were my first intro to national talk radio.  This would have been back in '87.  Shortly after that, I got into Chuck Harder and listened to him at my desk when I was an admin. assistant.  Right about then, Rush came along, and I've been listening to him ever since.   I remember SJR being more of an advice-type of show.  I even recall specific phone calls from back then and her advice.  Bruce Williams always struck me as a renaissance man who was full of wisdom.  I always liked hearing his stories about his various business ventures. 

Gina

McPhallus

Did anyone hear Mr. Pork Roll himself mention C2C on the 9/25 show?  He seemed to confuse Art with Noory and implied he was a bad copy of Nebel.

McPhallus

Bruce's last show was Friday.  Long live the pork roll.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: McPhallus on March 30, 2013, 01:47:22 PM
Bruce's last show was Friday.  Long live the pork roll.

you mean he's quit the podcast?

McPhallus

Quote from: MV on March 30, 2013, 06:26:07 PM

you mean he's quit the podcast?

Yep.  Couldn't make it profitable was the reason given.  He apparently spends 10 grand a month on the whole thing, and the business model just didn't take off.  I guess the cost is mostly studio expenses.  10 grand a month for a podcast is insane.  I know podcasters who don't make $30k a year.

MV/Liberace!

If he spent that much, then it's because he simply didn't know what he was doing and was surrounded by people who were ripping him off.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: McPhallus on March 30, 2013, 07:13:10 PM
I know podcasters who don't make $30k a year.

oh, and that would be nearly every podcaster out there.

Tinfoil Hat

I wanted to thank McP for bringing up this thread again. I hadn't thought about Bruce Williams in years. I used to listen to him regularly back in the 90's. I was able to find his old website and there's a few shows on the archive page. I listened a little last night and just hearing his mellow voice again was a trip down memory lane.

McPhallus

Quote from: MV on March 30, 2013, 10:25:16 PM
If he spent that much, then it's because he simply didn't know what he was doing and was surrounded by people who were ripping him off.

You may be right.  That and he doesn't really understand the podcast medium.  His Web site reeks of something put together in 1998, and his whole way of monetizing was to sell advertising, which may have been overpriced due to some comments he made.