• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

UFO Stream Going Down? Ack!

Started by ChuckQ, June 12, 2008, 08:53:02 PM

ChuckQ

Phizzinuck!!! Stream's going down eh? (Thank goo'ness the STREAMER app will bring the show to us)

I am aghast!

What a bunch of diquads at Premier!

>whine-whine-whine<

THANK YOU MvD for keeping it up and going for as long as you have.
I've listened to the Shoutcast stream for, oh I dunno, probably as long as it's been "alive," listening to it every single freaking day.
Withdrawals and severe jonesin' will likely ensue, but I'munna stick with the STREAMER app for as long as it is up and going.

Thanks again Mister MvD and
Kick ass bub!

Selenolycus

Seeing as how streamer is P2P software, I think those that use it should make our own personal recordings, and share them with Streamer if the current host ever gets shutdown.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Σεληνόλυκος on June 12, 2008, 10:27:34 PM
Seeing as how streamer is P2P software, I think those that use it should make our own personal recordings, and share them with Streamer if the current host ever gets shutdown.
i'm not sure what you mean by "share them with streamer."  please elaborate.

Selenolycus

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on June 13, 2008, 09:13:30 PM
i'm not sure what you mean by "share them with streamer."  please elaborate.

Well, Streamer.exe seems to be open (I don't know its homepage, but I see several available streams for it), so it's possible for anyone to stream on it, no?

Also, have you considered sharing your Coast to Coast AM archive via some p2p service, or there is too great a legal risk for you to do that?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Σεληνόλυκος on June 23, 2008, 02:49:24 AM
Well, Streamer.exe seems to be open (I don't know its homepage, but I see several available streams for it), so it's possible for anyone to stream on it, no?

Also, have you considered sharing your Coast to Coast AM archive via some p2p service, or there is too great a legal risk for you to do that?
yes, anybody can broadcast on streamer.
secondly, if i were ever completely forbid from streaming the shows because of a couple greedy asshole suits with nothing better to do, then i would, in that circumstance, upload my entire library via bittorrent.

Selenolycus

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on June 23, 2008, 06:48:18 AM
yes, anybody can broadcast on streamer.
secondly, if i were ever completely forbid from streaming the shows because of a couple greedy asshole suits with nothing better to do, then i would, in that circumstance, upload my entire library via bittorrent.

Not trying to pressure you or anything, but what's stopping you from doing it now?

I rather enjoy listening to the older broadcasts, but even on a Windows machine I find Streamer.exe to be quirky/unreliable. Just saying, if you were to decide to share your library, it'd be quite nice.

Quote from: Σεληνόλυκος on June 24, 2008, 12:31:48 AM
Not trying to pressure you or anything, but what's stopping you from doing it now?

I rather enjoy listening to the older broadcasts, but even on a Windows machine I find Streamer.exe to be quirky/unreliable. Just saying, if you were to decide to share your library, it'd be quite nice.

But tis a wee bit o' pressure it be, eh? How do you ask a man "When is the right time to let go of his 'Body of Art'"? You can't, can you? If he were you, or me, or anyone else, maybe it'd be up, maybe not. It's a symbol. When he finally lets it go at DEFCON 17, that means that "The Man" has put his greedy little paws too deep into the pockets of righteousness in an attempt to accost truth itself, and we all must marshal to the cause. Until that time, we in the Kingdom are prided and steeled by the knowledge that Lord Vandeven has held fast in the face of mighty and overwhelming opposition. Huzzah!!!!

Then again, it may just as well be that he's been too busy.

EvB

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on June 24, 2008, 08:29:12 AM

But tis a wee bit o' pressure it be, eh? How do you ask a man "When is the right time to let go of his 'Body of Art'"? You can't, can you? If he were you, or me, or anyone else, maybe it'd be up, maybe not. It's a symbol. When he finally lets it go at DEFCON 17, that means that "The Man" has put his greedy little paws too deep into the pockets of righteousness in an attempt to accost truth itself, and we all must marshal to the cause. Until that time, we in the Kingdom are prided and steeled by the knowledge that Lord Vandeven has held fast in the face of mighty and overwhelming opposition. Huzzah!!!!

I agree - a lot of work has gone into MV's collection - it's generous enough that he SHARES it, let alone give it away.  Besides - I'm crap at re-compiling bit torrents  :-[

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on June 24, 2008, 08:29:12 AM
Then again, it may just as well be that he's been too busy.
wow... you really had my ego going until that bit at the end.

basically, the reason why i don't upload it now is multi faceted.  first, why would people bother to listen to the stream if the whole damn thing was up for download via a torrent tracker?  also, i didn't want to do it because in the past, premiere radio had left me alone to do my thing without causing any problems for me, and i didn't want to spit in their face by uploading my entire collection via torrent.  however, times are changing, it would seem.

Selenolycus

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on June 24, 2008, 09:18:39 AM

basically, the reason why i don't upload it now is multi faceted.  first, why would people bother to listen to the stream if the whole damn thing was up for download via a torrent tracker?  also, i didn't want to do it because in the past, premiere radio had left me alone to do my thing without causing any problems for me, and i didn't want to spit in their face by uploading my entire collection via torrent.  however, times are changing, it would seem.

I used to run radio streams, actually DJed for one a couple of years back that was hardy rock/metal oriented, and it averaged between forty-eighty listeners at any given moment. Not sure what you get with Streamer, though I'm pretty sure your shoutcast got well over 100. All that music people heard could DL in MP3 format if they wished. Songs that were played were played multiple times, and still people listened.

Anyway, a lot of people will listen because they either

a) Don't want to download or deal with a huge torrent, such as EvB
b) Happen upon it, and might like C2C, but not enough to download a whole bunch of reruns, etc.

I know you're under no obligation to please anyone here, your sharing of your library puts you at legal risk. But, I simply don't have internet access 24/7 and it's something I enjoy listeing to.

If you're reluctant to share your entire library, even a 'best of' Coast to Coast compilation would be nice (I have no idea how large your entire library is, mind you), or something along those lines. Perhaps if you go to Icecast or Peercast or something like that I'll just make my own recordings of the streams.

I'll end this post by saying thanks for the time you've put into your site and into your stream. Before happening upon it I thought Coast to Coast was always as it is today, a huge mixed box ranging from utterly boring nonsense to fairly interesting things, whereas it used to be a box of much more interesting interviews and discussions, though ranging from some ridiculous people like "the witch lady," there were a lot of genuinely good conversations.

Your Ego still deserves the stroking it got. That was how I looked at the situation as I tend to see the noble in what's going on "here".  However, MY evaluation may have been totally full of shit.  That was how that last line was supposed to come across.

slipstream

If you decide to torrent your collection I'll seed till my ratio is 20.00.  I have to put that 2mbps upload to some worthwhile use.   ;)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: slipstream on June 24, 2008, 10:51:28 PM
     If you decide to torrent your collection I'll seed till my ratio is 20.00.  I have to put that 2mbps upload to some worthwhile use.   ;)
i'm making a DEFINITE note of that.

Dark Circles

Quote from: EvB on June 24, 2008, 09:02:23 AM
Besides - I'm crap at re-compiling bit torrents  :-[

SARCASTIC TRANSMISSION START

EvB, you really work with the source code for BT software?  I prefer pre-compiled binaries myself, although compiling is sometimes necessary based on one's environment, or the unavailability of up to date binaries. That is, if you're not programming some new features for a Bittorent client yourself.

SARCASTIC TRANSMISSION END

I think Vandeven [sic] should torrent the UFOship audio archives in its entirety, I'd be willing to seed it... Even though Bittorrent is getting more dangerous to use on a daily basis. A shame really. 

I read recently that scientists had somehow rigged a network printer to run a customized bittorrent client for months, so they could research the corporate monitoring of BT transfer nodes (a la MediaDefender)...  They ended up with a big box of DMCA legal notices sent to their university department, even though the research team hadn't even downloaded any copyrighted files.  You can read their finished research paper somewhere online if you Google it hard enough.

I'd also like to add that it's 6:12 AM and I haven't slept since last night. Thank you, that is all.

Max

I think that you should consider shutting the stream down for hosting in the USA, and people should do research for streaming in other countries that have told the RIAA to STFU and all that..

I say russia is a good place to start.

EvB

Quote from: Dark Circles on June 26, 2008, 04:12:52 AM
SARCASTIC TRANSMISSION START

EvB, you really work with the source code for BT software?  I prefer pre-compiled binaries myself, although compiling is sometimes necessary based on one's environment, or the unavailability of up to date binaries. That is, if you're not programming some new features for a Bittorent client yourself.

SARCASTIC TRANSMISSION END

Sorry - but the sarcasm is lost on me.  I tired Bit Torrent a couple of times many moons ago -- didn't like it - then by the time I thought to try it again it was such a target for issues like the one you described later in your post I just let it alone.