• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ham radio ops?

Started by ourobouros2k2, April 05, 2011, 12:04:17 PM

ourobouros2k2

Just thought I would see who else here might have their amateur ticket.

I am currently licensed as a tech, but plan on upgrading next month. My call is KD5OUW. My first HF contact was about a month ago, I talked to a station in Newfoundland province Canada from here in Oklahoma on about 75 watts.

My decision to get my ticket was based largely on hearing Art discuss the subject at length.

Here is my shack..

nice shack :)

I haven't been on the air in a few years - need to get my OM to help me put up another antenna.

ourobouros2k2

Just curious 999 what antenna were you using?

I am using a G5RVjr with MFJ auto tuner. Works pretty well, on days when solar flux has been up around 117, I have been able to talk to Newfoundland and yesterday talked to Kingston, Jamaica (Oklahoma is my QTH). I have it in an inverted vee config with apex at 20'. My lot is really space restricted, no trees, and power lines criscrossing my back yard preventing any type of vertical.  I can either mount a vertical on the side of my house, or put up a fiberglass 35' mast and string up something like an alpha delta DX-CC wire antenna in inverted vee configuration.

I hate space restricted lots, lol..

Andy

I used a full-size G5RV up in the trees in the woods behind the house, for many years. Not restricted here.  Unfortunately a tornado got it :/ and I haven't been on the air since.

I am going to try a Windom antenna next.

(I am partial to wire antennas - I've had good results with them & I usually operate 50 watts with a Ten Tec Scout or 80 watts with one of those old Heathkits. I've talked to Antarctica, Japan Russia, etc with some good timing and good solar conditions.)

My elmer was also in a restricted area. He had a big Collins radio in his kitchen LOL and a wire horizontal dipole going out a 2nd story window to a tree.

sydtron

I did. Not see a Ham Radio thread around here. Thought I would start one.

Anything Ameture Radio related that you want to talk about?  Share your call sign if you want to. Whats the furthest that you have DXed?  What equipment do you use?  Etc....

I only have a Tech liscense. But hopefully upgrading to General next week.  I own a Boufeng 4 watt handheld for 2 meters/ 440cm.  I love radio.  Part of the reason I got my ticket was because of hearing Art talk about it. 

73's. KD9BWU

Boxcarro

I am a Ham, W5AWG John. (Was KD5MPM in Oct. 2000 when I got me Licens.) I see nobody Else post, I do. Theys some GOOD DEALS on HF Transcievers at H R O. Or even CLOIGS PEST. CraigsList.

If You are Young, Live where you can String Up a Antenna, GO GO GO! Have FUN.

Unfortune I am OLD in SENIOR house No Can Put Antenna.

Hank

N8YD here. Into my 21st year as a ham now. I'm mostly on 2m locally, but occasionally get on HF. Just have an NVIS antenna at my shop, but it plays well. I jump into some 40m nets occasionally. I need to get my Echolink/svxlink node back on with a 2m simplex frequency. I got to talk to Art on Echolink a few years back, and hope he'll have his node open again sometime.

Finally signed up on here this morning. Ham Radio+Art Bell+all the great topics=awesome!

onan

Quote from: Hank on May 07, 2015, 01:06:56 PM
N8YD here. Into my 21st year as a ham now. I'm mostly on 2m locally, but occasionally get on HF. Just have an NVIS antenna at my shop, but it plays well. I jump into some 40m nets occasionally. I need to get my Echolink/svxlink node back on with a 2m simplex frequency. I got to talk to Art on Echolink a few years back, and hope he'll have his node open again sometime.

Finally signed up on here this morning. Ham Radio+Art Bell+all the great topics=awesome!
howdy, set back a spell.

sydtron

Anyone see the Northern Lights recently?  Any of you use 6meters?  I heard its hopping right now.
Ive only got a 5watt handheld :(   need to make a beam antenna for it. 
This stream of conciousness brought to you by KD9BWU.

sydtron

Happy field day everyone! 
Our club is operating on 15meters and 40 meters.

15 m call K9VN

40m call. W9VMW

15 has been great! 
40m has been good also.  The 40 meter is mostly facing in a NE/SW Direction. 
73's!!

AL5J

Mostly mobile and portible OPS since I live in an apartment. My info is good on QRZ. 73 de AL5J

Quote from: ourobouros2k2 on April 05, 2011, 12:04:17 PM
Just thought I would see who else here might have their amateur ticket.

I am currently licensed as a tech, but plan on upgrading next month. My call is KD5OUW. My first HF contact was about a month ago, I talked to a station in Newfoundland province Canada from here in Oklahoma on about 75 watts.

My decision to get my ticket was based largely on hearing Art discuss the subject at length.

Here is my shack..

Nice setup. 2x parametrics (DBX ? ), Line filter, what looks like an older Yamaha or Peavey line amp(bottom left w/ the dual VUs), and is that a Kenwood Transceiver ? Nice dual needle(?) SWR meter(upper left.) You're running a Linux distro on that laptop, Right ? The repositories have whole sections dedicated to HAM operations and TV over shortwave software. I don't have my ticket yet, but always wanted to set up my own shack. Possibly after I move.

Hank

Looks like an Astron power supply with voltage and current meters. Top is an MFJ antenna tuner w/ built in cross-needle SWR meter. Sweet setup!

73s

Ham here. Not active anymore due to other commitments but getting back to it soon. This is a really old thread so I'm thinking not too many Bellgabber hams?

Curious what the huge box is at upper-right, but the original poster probably long gone.

sydtron

Quote from: 73s on April 08, 2016, 06:33:03 AM
Ham here. Not active anymore due to other commitments but getting back to it soon. This is a really old thread so I'm thinking not too many Bellgabber hams?

Curious what the huge box is at upper-right, but the original poster probably long gone.

Still here. But havent been around this thread in a while.  Got my Extra last October!
Been busy with HF . Got an old Kenwood ts-530s.  Worked pretty good till the HV caps quit.  So I gotta replace those. 

Hope all is well with everyone. 73