• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Dr. Dean Edell

Started by haloedorchid, March 18, 2011, 06:52:22 PM

haloedorchid

Good show hosted by an actual MD. He frequently quack-watched alternative medicines, vaccine opposition, and food supplements. Apparently he retired, but I haven't heard his replacement host. It was fun while it lasted!

Eddie Coyle

Never liked him. Found him to be extraordinarily arrogant and always advocating for government intervention and Big Pharma. I bet his office was full of Pfizer pens and calendars.

JustOneFix

I listened to his show as a kid (I've been a talk radio junkie since I was 9) but no stations have carried the show in my local market for the past 10 or so yrs that I'm aware of. I haven't really went out searching for it either.. haha

Back then I thought he was pretty good, but to a 9-10 yr old kid everything was educational.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: JustOneFix on March 18, 2011, 08:35:59 PM
I listened to his show as a kid (I've been a talk radio junkie since I was 9) but no stations have carried the show in my local market for the past 10 or so yrs that I'm aware of. I haven't really went out searching for it either.. haha

Back then I thought he was pretty good, but to a 9-10 yr old kid everything was educational.

I rarely listened, but I caught one show where he was absolutely pissed off.  He had found out that his on-air nurse "assistant" at the time was not actually a nurse.  This was a several years ago and I never tuned in again to learn more about the situation.

HAL 9000

Quote from: Marc Knight on March 18, 2011, 08:51:29 PMI rarely listened, but I caught one show where he was absolutely pissed off.  He had found out that his on-air nurse "assistant" at the time was not actually a nurse.  This was a several years ago and I never tuned in again to learn more about the situation.

I've always had great respect for Doc Edell. After making enough money, he retired from practicing medicine (ophthalmology and ophthalmic surgery) to pursue other interests, and eventually became a medical on-air host. He dispensed advice based on the scientific method and the latest legitimate science-based research of the time. I particularly loved his exposing so-called "alternative" medicine as quackery when deserved (See Snoory's guest last night as an example: http://www.coastgab.com/index.php/topic,3.msg36231.html#msg36231)

Though I haven't listened to Edell in a few years, his long-time female "side-kick" (producer) was named Heather, and never preteneded to be anything other than what she was - involved in entertainment in varying capacities - but never as a nurse. It's possible he may have added someone who claimed they were a nurse, and I missed those shows...

Looks like his show ended in December 2010

:)

Dude111

Quote from: haloedorchidGood show hosted by an actual MD. He frequently quack-watched alternative medicines, vaccine opposition, and food supplements.

Yea he was OK..... I prefer an alternative health show... ONE THAT DOESNT JUST GO BY WHAT BIG PHARMA WANTS YOU TO BELIEVE...

onan

Quote from: Dude111 on September 25, 2013, 03:45:48 PM
Yea he was OK..... I prefer an alternative health show... ONE THAT DOESNT JUST GO BY WHAT BIG PHARMA WANTS YOU TO BELIEVE...

I know big pharma has a bad name... some of it due to histrionics, some due to reality.

I don't listen to Dean Edell all that often. I don't even know if he is still broadcasting. But the few times I did listen his advice was dead on accurate. And he spoke at a level most anyone can understand. "2 thumbs up*