• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Rachel Maddow

Started by haloedorchid, March 18, 2011, 06:23:52 PM

onan

Quote from: texaskdog on August 02, 2011, 10:18:43 PM
That's who we need to be helping!  I live in Austin where there is a bum on every corner and media will frequently follow them back to their brand new SUVs, that is what most of us get tired of.
I know you probably mean well. But in Austin how many mentally ill people do suppose there are? So now the media does a story, for arguments sake let's say they find 1000 of these cocksuckers. What percentage do you think that is? I promise you its small. But the message that is sent says cut those benefits. Which then causes more distress in the mentally ill population.

I think it is important to consider why a story like the one you describe is aired, because what you describe isn't anything but pandering.

Why not just report that there are some trying to defraud the system? Because, imo some vested interests want to destroy any and all government funded healthcare.

Sent from my DROIDX

Quote from: Usagi on April 20, 2011, 06:05:44 PM
For real... Maddow was a Rhodes Scholar.  Noory majored in broadcast journalism at the University of Detroit.  Do we even know whether or not he even got his B.A.?

It's ridiculous to even compare them.  Even if I think Maddow is an insufferable bitch.
There are many Rhodes Scholars working in our government at all levels. Look at the fine job they have done with our country and our economy. :P

texaskdog

Quote from: onan on August 03, 2011, 02:08:07 AM
I know you probably mean well. But in Austin how many mentally ill people do suppose there are? So now the media does a story, for arguments sake let's say they find 1000 of these cocksuckers. What percentage do you think that is? I promise you its small. But the message that is sent says cut those benefits. Which then causes more distress in the mentally ill population.

I think it is important to consider why a story like the one you describe is aired, because what you describe isn't anything but pandering.

Why not just report that there are some trying to defraud the system? Because, imo some vested interests want to destroy any and all government funded healthcare.

Sent from my DROIDX

The only ones I give money to are the ones missing limbs.  Figure most of these people make more per hour than I do.  Government funded healthcare..hmm Obama's "plan" is just force everyone to have it.  Well, I guess that's the best way to fix a problem w/o requiring any real thought.

Scully

Quote from: texaskdog on August 03, 2011, 05:20:59 AM
The only ones I give money to are the ones missing limbs.  Figure most of these people make more per hour than I do.  Government funded healthcare..hmm Obama's "plan" is just force everyone to have it.  Well, I guess that's the best way to fix a problem w/o requiring any real thought.

What is being vilified by so many as "Obamacare" was not the President's plan at all.  It is the totally compromised, attenuated, and ruined version the conservative wing would allow to be passed in Congress.   :(

Theodoric

Not saying anybody is fighting but always nice in political (or any ideological) discussions :) (i never use emotes but always a good time to start) ....

War - Why Can't We Be Friends?

b_dubb

Quote from: onan on August 03, 2011, 02:08:07 AM
except for the white collar well fare that services the rich fuckers that run this 'democracy'

b_dubb

Quote from: Scully on August 03, 2011, 10:58:53 PMWhat is being vilified by so many as "Obamacare" was not the President's plan at all.  It is the totally compromised, attenuated, and ruined version the conservative wing would allow to be passed in Congress.   :(
so true.  it's sad that the guy's name is being attached to that shit pile of legislation.  it wasn't his idea.  call it boehner-care.  at least that has some built in comedic value.  cause .. his name is BOEHNER

onan

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on August 02, 2011, 09:51:17 PM
I don't know. Based on what she's said about her son in the past, I can't imagine who would oppose helping him... and people like him. There ARE individuals out there who really do need assistance for whatever reason(s), and I think there are very few who would oppose helping them. Lazy people who game the system taint those who really are dependent on the help of others for survival.

Sent from my Droid X.

The people that want to end medicaid and medicare. Those programs are designed to pay below actual cost of treatment. Many physicians are refusing treatment past the mandated minimum number of MC patients. The people that astonishingly believe people eligible for medicaid are doing well financially and really do not need help.

There may well be another solution besides medicare and medicaid. But that answer isn't doing away with treatment.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

rangers1919

Quote from: b_dubb on August 04, 2011, 06:27:51 PM
so true.  it's sad that the guy's name is being attached to that shit pile of legislation.  it wasn't his idea.  call it boehner-care.  at least that has some built in comedic value.  cause .. his name is BOEHNER

Call it the Heritage Foundation Plan; it is almost exactly the plan they pushed years ago before Gingrich drove the GOP off the crazy-cliff.

b_dubb

Quote from: onan on August 04, 2011, 07:11:03 PM
The people that want to end medicaid and medicare. Those programs are designed to pay below actual cost of treatment. Many physicians are refusing treatment past the mandated minimum number of MC patients. The people that astonishingly believe people eligible for medicaid are doing well financially and really do not need help.

There may well be another solution besides medicare and medicaid. But that answer isn't doing away with treatment.

Sent from my DROIDX
our society would be healthier (in many ways) if everyone got adequate health care.  mental and physical.  people object about cost are only looking at the short term.  mental illness can cost lives as evidenced by the shootings in Phoenix.  had the shooter received adequate mental health care lives may have been saved.  considerable medical expense avoided. 

given that we spend more than the rest of the planet combined on "defense" i think we could cut back on our defense spending and make some money available for helping people who pay taxes and their family members

anagrammy

OR, we can spend some defense money on nation-building in America.   If we don't improve the schools here, our undereducated children will have no choice but to join the military.  Wait, maybe that's the whole point!  They've determined that the draft is what caused American objections to the war in Vietnam.  America won't need a draft and can avoid war protests as we continue our "efforts" (to further enrich the rich) overseas.

The American Dream:  American Imperialism Without End With Volunteer Army.  Our young people just won't be any other options:  can't afford college and no jobs available for those without a college education.

Of course, there is still the choice to move to China, and assemble iPhones, and be part of The Chinese Dream.

Anagrammy

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: anagrammy on August 07, 2011, 10:23:04 AM
OR, we can spend some defense money on nation-building in America.   If we don't improve the schools here, our undereducated children will have no choice but to join the military.  Wait, maybe that's the whole point!  They've determined that the draft is what caused American objections to the war in Vietnam.  America won't need a draft and can avoid war protests as we continue our "efforts" (to further enrich the rich) overseas.

The American Dream:  American Imperialism Without End With Volunteer Army.  Our young people just won't be any other options:  can't afford college and no jobs available for those without a college education.

Anagrammy

It's true. What the Postal Service or Parks Department used to be(gainful employment for blue collar people), the military has supplanted. Want a job? Go to your local recruitment center! You'll get to travel to exotic parts of the world...

But our wars are for a just cause. Just don't ask what the cause is...

texaskdog

Heck I just want these doofuses to balance the budget.  I don't care who gets the credit/blame for it.

anagrammy

Quote from: texaskdog on August 07, 2011, 03:44:05 PM
Heck I just want these doofuses to balance the budget.  I don't care who gets the credit/blame for it.

Too bad you don't hold elected office.

Ana

Scully

I seem to be on the right ... er, left ... page here.  ;D

M Knight

Of course, there is still the choice to move to China, and assemble iPhones, and be part of The Chinese Dream.

Anagrammy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americans_in_China

lana781

Quote from: JeffreyLXV on April 20, 2011, 01:28:47 AM
Did you ever find a radio show for Maddow?  If so please link here... :)

Her show on MSNBC is great...

lana781

Rachel use to be on Air America which went out of business. her only show is on MSN "Maddow". I love her, she's smart and savy.   :)

Silent

Quote from: texaskdog on August 07, 2011, 03:44:05 PM

Minus the mass conspiracy undertones, here's what it won't happen IMO.

George Carlin They Don't Give a Fu@k About You

b_dubb

America is an ATM for rich fuckers.  it's almost empty

Silent

I meant WHY it won't happen.  It looks like there's no longer an edit option unless I'm missing something.

EastCoastLady

Anagrammy

I use to listen to Maddow on Air America. She's intelligent, well versed & reputable. If her show presents an untruth, after verification, it is corrected & apologized for in due course.

Anagrammy - right on! I presented this same argument to a woman in my firm who secured her position via her life-long military official father's defense contractor contacts. She has since ceased all social conversations with me.  She didn't like my saying the grunts  joined the service for opportunity not afforded them in their depressed & withering home towns. A promise of a GI Bill & a dream to get out.  Never did they anticipate losing life, limb, friends, sanity, and innocence for the sole benefit of lining the pockets of the industrialized military complex. She stopped eating lunch & sat red faced, steaming, after I did my impression of George W. Bush at the News Correspondents Dinner in DC.  Bending down under the table I mimmicked him: "Now where are those WMDs. I know there around here somewhere. Nope, no WMDs here." [picking up my purse & looking inside] "No WMDs here either."

The divide and conquer policy is thriving in our political, military & socio-economic arenas.  I have little hope we the people, we'll recover.   

Scully

Quote from: EastCoastLady on September 29, 2011, 10:34:37 PM
I use to listen to Maddow on Air America. She's intelligent, well versed & reputable. If her show presents an untruth, after verification, it is corrected & apologized for in due course.

Anagrammy - right on! I presented this same argument to a woman in my firm who secured her position via her life-long military official father's defense contractor contacts. She has since ceased all social conversations with me.  She didn't like my saying the grunts  joined the service for opportunity not afforded them in their depressed & withering home towns. A promise of a GI Bill & a dream to get out.  Never did they anticipate losing life, limb, friends, sanity, and innocence for the sole benefit of lining the pockets of the industrialized military complex. She stopped eating lunch & sat red faced, steaming, after I did my impression of George W. Bush at the News Correspondents Dinner in DC.  Bending down under the table I mimmicked him: "Now where are those WMDs. I know there around here somewhere. Nope, no WMDs here." [picking up my purse & looking inside] "No WMDs here either."

The divide and conquer policy is thriving in our political, military & socio-economic arenas.  I have little hope we the people, we'll recover.

Hear, hear, Eastcoastlady and Anagrammy!  8)

Frys Girl

Quote from: EastCoastLady on September 29, 2011, 10:34:37 PM

I'm anti-war, but I find what you did offensive. These opportunities might seem bad to you, but people who enlist seek the opportunities both because they offer a better life and because it fulfills duty to one's country. I'm not sure if you are a lawyer, but I'm not sure you appreciate the jokes about lawyers being in it for the $$$. As much as we might hate lawyers, we need them too.

This country has no shortage of rude, ungrateful people.

EastCoastLady

Quote from: Frys Girl on October 01, 2011, 08:30:40 AM

I'm anti-war, but I find what you did offensive. These opportunities might seem bad to you, but people who enlist seek the opportunities both because they offer a better life and because it fulfills duty to one's country. I'm not sure if you are a lawyer, but I'm not sure you appreciate the jokes about lawyers being in it for the $$$. As much as we might hate lawyers, we need them too.

This country has no shortage of rude, ungrateful people.

I'm sorry that you're offended. It appears your are insinuating I'm rude & ungrateful. If that is the case, please read my below expanded post which hopefully addresses your concerns. 

1. I'm not a lawyer but the majority of lawyers I know actively give back to their communities via donating personal expertise in the form of pro bono work. Most firms honor their top 10 lawyers who work the most pro bono hours throughout the year.  The few firms I've been employed with over the past 25 yrs have always had regular coordinated volunteer projects such as Habitat for Humanity building projects, adopt a family for the holidays, food drives, etc. It's been my experience that there are more noble lawyers than the steriotypical ambulance chasers.

2. I've had generations of family members in every war since WWI.  My father's brother is MIA from WWII. We work to try to recover his remains until this day.  I have a 2nd cousin who has never been the same since Vietnam. Family deals with this right along with him.  The aftershock of that war on him is so horrific I won't post the details.  I have 2 1st cousins who serve in special forces in current wars & are of the opinion it isn't worth it. I have a neighbor who is in Afghanistan but not in active combat zone, he deals with the engineering projects & the Afghanistan citizens who are to 'protect' the troops and the new engineering projects. He advised me we should not be there, we're wasting our $, soldiers' minds, bodies & souls.  My husband's step father, now in Arlington Nt'l Cemetary, was captain of a navy vessel in WWII.  He landscaped his land to mimmick the islands & waters where he engaged in battle. He was hardcore & he had a hard time with the transition upon return - even the kids' chores were written in military time & he insisted on being called Captain.

3. I NEVER questioned our soldiers patriotism.  Patriotism comes in many forms. Active duty military who possibly will never return, those in the Reserves who go off to war & their family receive no med. coverage as they must leave their jobs to serve our country, those who return to find homes foreclosed upon, no work, coping w/hardship of active duty, knowledge of how hard it actually was on their family, AND their families  of course they are the ulimate patriots! What is lacking in the form of patriotism is our gov't - not our soldiers or our citizens, imho.  What's more I found it incredibly heartless & unpatriotic that the likes of Cheney (5 deferments), Bush, Wolfowitz, Dick Army, Tom Delay, Karl Rove etc. never served but so quickly sent our women & men into battel unprepared, w/out a winning strategy & w/out appropriate care when they returned. I'll end this thought now but I could go on for hours on this particular.

4. I am not anti-war. I'm anti-unnecessary & ill-planned war.  An article from 2004 that eloquently explains some of my (and many of the grunts) reasons for disgust:   http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/war_stories/2004/12/rumsfeld_vs_the_american_soldier.html

5. "Patriotism" has a broad definition. How about avoiding the ultimate request vs. instigating ill-planned wars.  Below is a link to "A National Strategic Narrative" published by the Woodrow Wilson Center. It is written under pseudonym of "Mr. Y," who was later identified to be written by two senior members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in a "personal" capacity.  It is it clear if it didn't have a measure of official approval from the Jt. Chiefs of Staff, it wouldn't have been made public. Its revelatory & might be of interest to citizens as well politicans. 
http://www.wilsoncenter.org/sites/default/files/A%20National%20Strategic%20Narrative.pdf

I am pro-troop, pro-America, pro-humanity. I have spent years developing my beliefs & have evolved them throughout those years. I hope this clears up any misconception you might have about my position & my above post. If this post results in your no longer being offended, all the better. 

Frys Girl

My opinion still holds. People who brag about being witty when it comes to insulting military families because of GWB are rude and ungrateful in my books. You have the freedom to do what you like, and I have the freedom to think its in poor taste.

EastCoastLady

Quote from: Frys Girl on October 01, 2011, 02:38:14 PM
My opinion still holds. People who brag about being witty when it comes to insulting military families because of GWB are rude and ungrateful in my books. You have the freedom to do what you like, and I have the freedom to think its in poor taste.

The only things worth learning are the things you learn after you know it all.~Harry S Truman

Quote from: EastCoastLady on October 01, 2011, 11:00:44 AM

I'm sorry that you're offended. It appears your are insinuating I'm rude & ungrateful. If that is the case, please read my below expanded post which hopefully addresses your concerns. 

I didn't find your opinion offensive at all, ECL.  It was your apparent delight in mocking your co-worker that undermined your post.

EastCoastLady

Quote from: Flaxen Hegemony on October 01, 2011, 08:06:30 PM
I didn't find your opinion offensive at all, ECL.  It was your apparent delight in mocking your co-worker that undermined your post.

Flaxen, I thought it was comical & it was done after an hour of listening to someone drone on and on about how agnostics, aethists, liberals & muslims didn't belong in this country. How muslims shouldn't even be allowed to fly. How "In God We Trust" is on our $ not "In Allah" or any other. 

I'm pretty sure, given the same circumstances, I'd do the exact same thing.  If that makes me ungrateful or rude in some eyes, so be it.   

Quote from: EastCoastLady on October 01, 2011, 10:00:57 PM
Flaxen, I thought it was comical & it was done after an hour of listening to someone drone on and on about how agnostics, aethists, liberals & muslims didn't belong in this country. How muslims shouldn't even be allowed to fly. How "In God We Trust" is on our $ not "In Allah" or any other. 

That adds some helpful context.  Sounds like it was a give and take.  Your original post read as if this poor woman was left so shell-shocked by a strange person doing GWB imitations under the table that she was stunned into embarrassed silence. :)