• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Computer / Tech Talk Radio, e.g. Kim Komando

Started by Marc.Knight, March 17, 2011, 11:00:28 PM

Marc.Knight

Do these programs even need to be on anymore?  I get bored to tears, but maybe if I put my geek hat on I'd enjoy the discussions more...

haloedorchid

Quote from: Marc Knight on March 17, 2011, 11:00:28 PM
Do these programs even need to be on anymore?  I get bored to tears, but maybe if I put my geek hat on I'd enjoy the discussions more...

I had the same thought the other day. Tech, beer, and gardening shows dominate the weekend radio market. It needs a serious overhaul.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: haloedorchid on March 17, 2011, 11:18:20 PM
I had the same thought the other day. Tech, beer, and gardening shows dominate the weekend radio market. It needs a serious overhaul.

Yeah, I agree.  Although, I am partial to the Cigar Dave Show.  http://www.cigardave.com/  Maybe I'll make a Weekend Talk Thread.

JustOneFix

Kim Komando sucks, I'm not a big fan of tech shows as I pointed out in the Leo Laport thread, but Komando is just dull and annoying. 

To answer your question- No I don't think shows along this line need to be on anymore. In Modern Times we have "The Google"! 

mark00

the best tech show is Into Tomorrow w Bill Graveline.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: mark00 on April 09, 2011, 05:08:58 PM
the best tech show is Into Tomorrow w Bill Graveline.
really?  i'm shocked to hear someone say that.  i used to hear his show from time to time when i had XM years ago and i thought it was absolutely atrocious because it didn't really cover tech.  it was just a parade of shills from tech companies coming in to hawk their wares on his show and masquerading as if it were an interview rather than a concealed, paid commercial.  perhaps his show has changed.  also, graveline sounded to me like an old man who knows shit about tech but incidentally started a radio production company that focuses on the subject.

also, re: kim kommando:  she was probably relevant in the 90s before people knew anything, but the few times i've caught her show in recent years, it was just a bunch of bilge scaring old people about online scams and scaring parents about internet predators.  it was hardly a technology show, as i saw it... and when she DID actually talk tech, her knowledge seemed very general, simplistic, and second rate.  leo laporte strikes me as a phony asshole and i do not like him as an individual, but if you're going to listen to a computer/tech radio show, his is the best.

Digitech

Kim Kommando, meh.

I remember listening to that show maybe 10 or 11 years ago when there was nothing else to do. It doesn't seem to have changed much.

Most of the callers are not computer/technology literate. She gives answers which are easy to understand, but I still sometimes doubt that the callers get what she is saying.

Remember a few weeks ago when George Noory had a guy talking about computer infrastructure, security and privacy? I believe his name was Lauren Weinstein. I couldn't help but feel bad for him when all the callers were asking Kim Kommando-calibur questions like 'I can't get rid of the viruses on my computer. I tried emptying my recycle bin but it didn't help' or 'Someone hacked my computer because I can't where I saved my resume.'

Camper

Kim Komando is married to popular radio talk show host Barry Young who is on KFYI here in Phoenix. Together they started WestStar Talk Radio Network which produces a couple other shows, one I can think of is The Other Side with Steve Godfrey. He talks to dead people. It's actually kind of interesting in a comical sort of way.

Komandos show sucks but she's making lots of money!

George sucks

The word is, that Steve Godfrey guy is a scam. The callers get screened and get asked all the questions and the answers are given before they go on the air. There are people that say he's legit as well, but it's veeeery dubious. The show has been canceled in Phoenix. KFYI has dropped him. Last I checked, he was on 5 or so stations. I think he is on in Albuquerque, 770 am.

back in the 80s it was the Computer Chronicles on PBS haha.

/old

Bosco

I really miss TechTv with Leo Laporte and Patrick Norton

TuffKitten

Quote from: MV on April 09, 2011, 05:14:47 PM
also, re: kim kommando:  she was probably relevant in the 90s before people knew anything, but the few times i've caught her show in recent years, it was just a bunch of bilge scaring old people about online scams and scaring parents about internet predators.  it was hardly a technology show, as i saw it... and when she DID actually talk tech, her knowledge seemed very general, simplistic, and second rate.  leo laporte strikes me as a phony asshole and i do not like him as an individual, but if you're going to listen to a computer/tech radio show, his is the best.

While I really like to listen to her, I've found she recommends products that she really knows VERY VERY little about.  She couldn't POSSIBLY be using them as if she were, she'd know they do great harm to puters and some are dangerous to one's privacy.  Examples are her repeated endorsements of AVG.  AVG does NOT really work.  It puts viruses, worms, trojans, etc., into hidden files and they reappear repeatedly.  I found that out when I went in and opened all hidden and system files and voila!, there they all were just waiting to make my puter crash.

She frustrates me because she makes statements and recommedations but doesn't follow through on HOW to make something work (example, turning an old puter's hard drive into an external drive for a new computer).  I think MOST of us know you can't just pop the old one out, plug it in via USB (as she says) and start saving data on it. 

I like her program but it drive me a little crazy trying to figure out what she's talking about quite often.  As stated in another post I made, I don't believe persons who have radio shows that endorse products and swear up and down they use them. 

A "Digital Goddess" doesn't need those programs to begin with!  I'm no "Digital Goddess" but I can figure out what's wrong with my puters and communicate to technicians what needs to be done to eliminate problems (I don't like to do it myself, to be honest.  I'd rather be able to make a professional liable for any problems that arise).

TuffKitten  >^*v*^<

HorrorRetro

When I hear Kim Komando's show, I feel like I've been transported back to 1994.  I quit listening ages ago, because it was so irrelevant. 

I do miss ZDTV's shows, "The Screen Savers" and "Call for Help."  That's where I first got into Leo Laporte.  I still listen to Leo's shows on Saturday nights.

I have been listening to Komando only because Somewhere in time follows it on Saturdays(WGAU)
  on the station I have off the web.and my usual network  has some lame pet program and a couple lame programs after.LaPorte has a thing called TwitTV now .Liked his and Nortons old show and a lot of others on that network before it got taken over and became  all lame game geeks expounding on whatever their fixations were about.Lot of techy sort of things  on TwitTV but I think I tend to avoid anything that use the term Twit... in it as it has another meaning to me as in Monty Python  sense.
Liked the send up on Marxism specially when I saw the picture of Groucho and Harpo.Reminded me of the Firesign Theatre album that had  All hail Marx and Lennon and had them on the Soviet Podium on a May Day parade with a portrit of Groucho and John Lennon behind them.

I always liked Chris Pirillo more than Leo Laporte for some stupid reason.