• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Rush Limbaugh

Started by Marc.Knight, March 17, 2011, 10:10:10 AM

albrecht

Most here, or at least many, were already radio fans but for the rest of the country Rush really kept AM radio alive during times when it was tanking and is the anchor for many local AM stations. He also is an unrecognized comedian and satirist. I think if even those of opposite political opinions would listen with an open mind would laugh at some of his stuff, fake song covers, and such. Unfortunately many people can't laugh at themselves, each other, etc.   

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on February 04, 2020, 07:28:40 PM
Most here, or at least many, were already radio fans but for the rest of the country Rush really kept AM radio alive during times when it was tanking and is the anchor for many local AM stations. He also is an unrecognized comedian and satirist. I think if even those of opposite political opinions would listen with an open mind would laugh at some of his stuff, fake song covers, and such. Unfortunately many people can't laugh at themselves, each other, etc.

Indeed. To Rush!

ItsOver

I remember the first time I heard Rush.  It may have even been his first nationally syndicated broadcast.  I was relaxing in a Marriott Courtyard in Melbourne, Florida, August 1988.  I remember thinking "wow... this guy's good."

GravitySucks

Quote from: ItsOver on February 04, 2020, 08:09:27 PM
I remember the first time I heard Rush.  It may have even been his first nationally syndicated broadcast.  I was relaxing in a Marriott Courtyard in Melbourne, Florida, August 1988.  I remember thinking "wow... this guy's good."

I was working at Rockwell at JSC.  Houston didn’t have 10 digit dialing back then.  His 800 number was the same as my work phone number.  As his show got more popular the misdialed calls to my work phone increased.  People would argue with me when I told them they needed to dial 1-800 first.  Eventually I just had to forward my phone to voicemail when his show was on.  It finally stopped when Houston went to 10 digit dialing. 

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 04, 2020, 08:21:28 PM
I was working at Rockwell at JSC.  Houston didn’t have 10 digit dialing back then.  His 800 number was the same as my work phone number.  As his show got more popular the misdialed calls to my work phone increased.  People would argue with me when I told them they needed to dial 1-800 first.  Eventually I just had to forward my phone to voicemail when his show was on.  It finally stopped when Houston went to 10 digit dialing.

Though likely frowned upon by employer and policy, you could've had a field day of epic underground prank calls if you recorded them on cassette and messed with the incoming callers. Opportunity, missed.

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 04, 2020, 08:21:28 PM

Ha!  I had  a work number once that was a 1 instead of a 0 difference in the area code from an FBI Office. 

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 04, 2020, 08:31:35 PM
Ha!  I had  a work number once that was a 1 instead of a 0 difference in the area code from an FBI Office.

You also could've had epic prank recordings...that might have turned out to be not so funny in the long run n maybe even some charges.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Liberace! on February 04, 2020, 06:17:42 PM
Rush will attend tonight's SOTU address, but I think the medal will happen at a later date.

Guess I was wrong.

ItsOver

Glad to see the First Lady give him the medal tonight.

Bravo!

albrecht

Quote from: Liberace! on February 04, 2020, 08:57:13 PM
Guess I was wrong.

I was surprised also. Has that been done before?

aldousburbank

Quote from: albrecht on February 04, 2020, 09:09:17 PM

I was surprised also. Has that been done before?

I allowed it.

aldousburbank

Quote from: Jackstar on February 04, 2020, 07:09:14 PM
Where is Limbaugh at on U.S. Federal drug policy? I'm not asking for a friend.

He successfully skirts it. Admirable.

Jackstar

Dude's got Borg implants for ears now. "Successfully" seems arguable.

aldousburbank

Quote from: Jackstar on February 04, 2020, 09:45:10 PM
Dude's got Borg implants for ears now. "Successfully" seems arguable.

I heard that.

MV/Liberace!

Most here, or at least many, were already radio fans but for the rest of the country Rush really kept AM radio alive during times when it was tanking and is the anchor for many local AM stations.

If not for Rush and what he did for the AM band and the talk radio format, I would never have heard of Art Bell.  Art would have been some obscure figure on a single station somewhere, or he might not have been in radio at all.  Rush has altered the course of millions of lives and countless events. 

ItsOver

Quote from: Liberace! on February 05, 2020, 07:28:15 AM
If not for Rush and what he did for the AM band and the talk radio format, I would never have heard of Art Bell.  Art would have been some obscure figure on a single station somewhere, or he might not have been in radio at all.  Rush has altered the course of millions of lives and countless events.
I don't know how he handled the little kid on Monday, from San Antonio, who called in to tell him how much she loved his Rush Revere books and how her family visited every historic site described in the the books.  Her call was a just a short time before he had to make his heart-breaking cancer diagnosis announcement.  In retrospect, I'm surprised he didn't completely lose it and breakdown in tears.

AZZERAE

If it wasn't for Art, I would not have heard've Rush!

Edit: Not diggin' the "beard".

SredniVashtar

Rush has altered the course of millions of lives and countless events.

'Power without responsibility. The prerogative of the harlot throughout the ages.' Stanley Baldwin.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: SredniVashtar on February 05, 2020, 08:14:49 AM
'Power without responsibility. The prerogative of the harlot throughout the ages.' Stanley Baldwin.

One could say that statement applies to the British monarchy.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 05, 2020, 08:17:29 AM
One could say that statement applies to the British monarchy.

Yes, if one were an idiot.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: SredniVashtar on February 05, 2020, 08:41:31 AM
Yes, if one were an idiot.

Okay, you’re still vexed about your botched circumcision aren’t you.  Try to look at it this way:  If they had taken just a centimeter or two more, you would have ended up with an ugly scar on you ass in addition to the pudenda.   Count your blessings.

MV/Liberace!

Funny.  I throw that quote around when discussing the corporate media's promotion of a fake dossier constructed by unelected government careerists in an attempt to remove a duly elected president.

albrecht

Quit it with the male chauvinism and slut-shaming. Don't you know that words like "slut" have been reclaimed to empower women? Get with the times, your patriarchy is over!! 

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Liberace! on February 05, 2020, 09:41:29 AM
Funny.  I throw that quote around when discussing the corporate media's promotion of a fake dossier constructed by unelected government careerists Trump's promotion of the Obama birther conspiracy in an attempt to remove a duly elected president.

Fair and balanced.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: albrecht on February 05, 2020, 10:16:58 AM
Quit it with the male chauvinism and slut-shaming. Don't you know that words like "slut" have been reclaimed to empower women? Get with the times, your patriarchy is over!! 

Bitch, please.

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on February 05, 2020, 10:16:58 AM

Absolutely.  Plus, it's so stylish and classy.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: SredniVashtar on February 05, 2020, 10:20:02 AM
Fair and balanced.

Because a private citizen's trolling jollies are comparable to the machinations of an unaccountable multinational for-profit media complex that shapes public opinion in an effort to increase its own wealth and power.