• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Michael Savage

Started by Marc.Knight, March 17, 2011, 07:05:49 AM

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 28, 2012, 07:20:22 PM
            At his age, being off the air an extended period(say 18 months) could be problematic. People move on(I say that ironically considering some of our brethren) and political talk radio isn't the draw or money maker it was a decade ago.

I think you're absolutely right. 18 mos in entertainment is an eon. If he's going to be off more than 6 mos. he's going to have to have books and speaking tours and fake feuds going on with other pub-needy C-list celebrities.

And Eddie, the new avatar: Dennis Hopper?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on September 28, 2012, 11:01:58 PM

And Eddie, the new avatar: Dennis Hopper?
Yes, and it plays to my solipsism because it's an arrest from the week of my birth. And the way he looks summarizes how I generally feel.

ItsOver

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 28, 2012, 10:07:15 PM
            Levin has mentioned Savage's past in less than flattering terms, with hints at his "lifestyle" and Savage using a stage name. Then more recent things like Savage supporting Jerry Brown financially or dining with Willie Brown/Gavin Newsom also irked him.

Savage has accused Levin of being a Limbaugh toadie, and ripping off Savage's act. Frankly, the latter is absurd, I remember seeing Levin as a guest on political shows in the early 90's and being a fervent Clinton basher.

I think Savage is an entertainer first and firstmost, and like many so many of them is a bit "disturbed". It probably fuels the creativity, but man oh man does he enjoy alienating his audience and allies.

Savage definitely has his "quirks," such as his phobia for somebody asking him how he's doing.  I'd cringe everytime a caller would goof-up and start-off by asking how he was doing.  :o 

Have to concur with Kuhner not cutting it as a Savage replacement.  His voice triggers an instant reach for the radio off button.  Savage has a unique and entertaining presence so I hope he's back on the air sooner than later.  He really is kind of like that cranky old uncle you realize you really kind of miss when he's gone.

Juan

I always thought of him as being something like Maj. Ed Dames.  Whenever Savage would go off on a rant, I'd believe the opposite of his position.   For instance, after 9/11, he learned that only a couple of mid-East countries had flight simulators that the hijackers could have learned to fly on.  He was all for bombing those countries.  Then we learned that the terrorists had trained in the U.S.  Ooops.

The General

Savage is promising a live update on his website Sunday evening, 9/30 but doesn't give the time.

"Update from Michael!

Check here tomorrow night, for a live update. I will be speaking with you right from the homepage. Email your Savage friends to visit MichaelSavage.com Sunday night for a free broadcast."

http://www.michaelsavage.wnd.com/2012/09/update-from-michael/

Sardondi

I always thought Savage was the proverbial crazy like a fox in his outrageous statements. I figured he was generating publicity.

stevesh

Talk Radio Network announced last week that Jerry Doyle will be taking over Savage's spot. I like Doyle, but he's no Michael Savage.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: stevesh on October 09, 2012, 12:41:14 PM
Talk Radio Network announced last week that Jerry Doyle will be taking over Savage's spot. I like Doyle, but he's no Michael Savage.

it's basically as if they conceded, "savage is gone... so here's the sound of some guy using words."

ItsOver

Here's what's at Savage's site:

October 10 2012

UPDATE FROM MICHAEL

I HAVE BEEN VERY BUSILY MEETING WITH MANY INTERESTED PARTIES OVER THE PAST WEEK.

MANY WOULD LIKE TO PARTNER WITH ME, AND I WANT TO THANK YOU, MY AVID SAVAGE LISTENER AND WEBSITE READER, FOR YOUR INCREDIBLE LEVEL OF LOYALTY AND SUPPORT.

WHILE I CANNOT DIVULGE MY DECISION AT THIS TIME, I CAN SAY I HOPE TO BE BACK WITHIN TWO WEEKS AND WITH THE MOST POWERFUL ANNOUNCEMENT IN MODERN RADIO HISTORY.

THANK YOU,

MICHAEL

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ItsOver on October 09, 2012, 09:17:40 PM
Here's what's at Savage's site:

October 10 2012

THE MOST POWERFUL ANNOUNCEMENT IN MODERN RADIO HISTOR

That you can hear exclusively for $ 12.95!

And will be re-printed in my forthcoming book for $ 25  a few weeks later!

MV/Liberace!

hopefully savage actually reads the contract this time around.

i'm glad he's coming back to radio, though.

The General

Betcha he's coming to an earlier time slot.  Probably going up against either Rush or Hammity.  That might just be wishful thinking on my part, he's 70 and admittedly hasn't been giving his all for several years now. Remember when he claimed he was going blind a few years ago? 

Whatever happens, please oh dear lord, please let a Seattle affiliate start carrying him for Christ's sake.  He hasn't been on in Seattle for years.  I'm sick of trying to podcast or listen online or pickup a weak AM station from the next county.  It's only one of the most listened to shows in the world, you would think that one of our many conservative AM stations would carry him.  Maybe it's his old syndicator's fault.  He did say something about them dropping the ball when it comes to distribution.  Or is he just too controversial? 

The General

God dammit.

http://www.wnd.com/2012/10/michael-savage-returns-to-air-oct-23/

WTF Savage?  A worse time slot?  What is he thinking?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: The General on October 17, 2012, 01:15:48 PM
God dammit.

http://www.wnd.com/2012/10/michael-savage-returns-to-air-oct-23/

WTF Savage?  A worse time slot?  What is he thinking?
I don't get this at all. And it seems rushed as well. I'm guessing he lasts barely a year in this slot. Cumulus! This is the biggest announcement in radio history?

The General

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 17, 2012, 02:24:21 PM
          I don't get this at all. And it seems rushed as well. I'm guessing he lasts barely a year in this slot. Cumulus! This is the biggest announcement in radio history?
He'll never be in the top 5 again.  Let alone the top 3.  This won't last. 

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: The General on October 17, 2012, 02:38:56 PM
He'll never be in the top 5 again.  Let alone the top 3.  This won't last.
My first thought. He'll be out of the Talkers top 10 within a year at this rate. He gets to join radio heavyweights/douchebags like Huckabee, Smerconish and Geraldo Rivera on Cumulus roster. Maybe Savage likes being a big fish in a small pond.

The General

He should have just gone online to a self produced podcast if he wants to be the biggest fish in a pond.  He's the #1 streamed show online, he could've just built on that momentum.   This is about one thing: they offered him the most money.  Dumb move, Savage.

The General

Savage is back.  You can listen to his show online for free by going to KSFO's website, they have a 7 day archive where you can listen to any hour of any day going back a week, which is great.  All stations should do that.  He is there from 6-9 pm starting Tuesday, Oct 23.

http://www.ksfo560.com/article.asp?id=534876

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: The General on October 24, 2012, 12:44:14 PM
Savage is back.  You can listen to his show online for free by going to KSFO's website, they have a 7 day archive where you can listen to any hour of any day going back a week, which is great.  All stations should do that.  He is there from 6-9 pm starting Tuesday, Oct 23.

http://www.ksfo560.com/article.asp?id=534876

thanks!

The General

Quote from: MV on October 24, 2012, 01:18:35 PM

thanks!
Yeah!   His energy was way up, and he even did a third hour.  Maybe the old Savage is back.  The time slot sucks, but if I can hear it later any time I want, I'm happy.  Glad he's back.

here is what i used in the past. it's not up to date with his new shows yet, but here it is....
http://conservativestream.com/savage.html

slipstream

Quote from: The General on October 24, 2012, 02:55:23 PM
Yeah!   His energy was way up, and he even did a third hour.  Maybe the old Savage is back.  The time slot sucks, but if I can hear it later any time I want, I'm happy.  Glad he's back.

Due to the contract dispute he probably didn't want to work too hard for his former employer.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 17, 2012, 02:24:21 PM

The way it reads to me is that he wanted one last big payoff before he calls it a career. He got a seven figure settlement and a new contract. What the hell does he care it this is successful or not?

This may not be popular on this thread but here goes: I can listen to Savage in small doses, but not for an extended period of time. He can be giving a very well-reasoned monologue and then suddenly veer off into a story about what he ate last night. To be honest, I don't give a shit about meatballs or Teddy for that matter.

Furthermore, Savage seems to be just phoning it in at this point. If he does any show prep whatsoever, I wouldn't know it by his constant meandering from one topic to another. If a host takes calls in the first segment of their broadcast, you know they're either a fill-in or they haven't prepared any material.

And Michael's views are often very schizophrenic . One moment he can be praising Mitt Romney and the next he's calling him Ramney in the bleating voice of a sheep.

I have a love/hate relationship with Dr. Savage that often finds me turning off his program after only a few minutes into his broadcast. Maybe I'm the exception to the rule, but I find Dr. Savage's move hasn't reinvigorated his creative juices. 

Juan

He sounds reinvigorated to me.  Still nuts, but happier.  I, too, take him in small doses.

Quote from: UFO Fill on November 01, 2012, 03:59:10 AM
He sounds reinvigorated to me.  Still nuts, but happier.  I, too, take him in small doses.

Don't know if you were listening last night, but they were already playing an encore segment on or about the second hour. I remember Savage complaining about the resolution of his monitor, but that doesn't take an act of Congress to fix. Didn't hang around to hear what happened. 

Eddie Coyle

In a stunningly awful turn of events. Savage's usual fill-in at TRN, Jeff Kuhner, is now the morning drive host at WRKO in Boston.

WRKO had carried Savage since Fall, 2002...but have not picked up his new show, and supposedly won't. But we get four action packed hours of Kuhner each morning now. Oh good.

McPhallus

I don't think Savage thought much of Kuehner.  Despite Kuehner's continual fawning, I don't remember Savage ever mentioning him.

Kuehner always seemed out of his league when filling in for Savage.  Howlin' Mad Murdoch and that Jed Babin guy were alright, but I'm guessing Savage didn't have much say over who filled in for him during those chronic absences.

Given the quality of most morning radio hosts, Kuehner doing so at a local station probably is suitable for him.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: McPhallus on November 01, 2012, 02:03:58 PM

Given the quality of most morning radio hosts, Kuehner doing so at a local station probably is suitable for him.

For better or worse, he seems genuine in his beliefs...but his voice is almost what you'd expect from a caricature. I also think Savage didn't regard him all that highly, and that goes for most of his fill-ins. I'm sure he'll be taking shots at TRN hosts in the future.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 01, 2012, 04:28:25 PM
          For better or worse, he seems genuine in his beliefs...but his voice is almost what you'd expect from a caricature. I also think Savage didn't regard him all that highly, and that goes for most of his fill-ins. I'm sure he'll be taking shots at TRN hosts in the future.

As you know, Savage has been taking shots at his colleagues for years. And I don't believe that anyone who has filled in on his previous program will be off limits. I kinda like Kuehner, but he does have the voice of a Jewish caricature. Jed Babbin is a bit too wooden and laconic for me. Wonder who will be in the bullpen with this program.