• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

President Donald J. Trump

Started by The General, February 11, 2011, 01:33:34 AM

136 or 142

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 09, 2016, 09:22:11 AM
Sure! She's a neocon in democratic clothing who's husband repealed the Glass-Steagall act before leaving office, setting up the biggest financial shell game since the Great Depression in 2008. Remember that? We all got a lot poorer and they got a hell of a lot richer. Her biggest financial supporters are two of the biggest firms that caused this: Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan. Why wouldn't Republicans vote for her?! She basically is one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glassâ€"Steagall:_Aftermath_of_repeal

Your wiki link isn't set up properly.  There is actually very little evidence the repeal of Glass-Steagall had much of anything to do with the financial meltdown.  The 'successor' to Glass-Steagall, Dodd-Frank was passed with mostly Democratic votes, is largely opposed to by Republicans, and Rapist Trump promises to repeal it should he become President.  (He actually says he'll repeal most of it.  This is almost certainly due to him:
1.Trying to have this both ways, as he tries to do with virtually everything.
2.Having no idea what any of the provisions in Dodd-Frank are.)

The financial meltdown was caused by the bundling of toxic assets that were resold and the 'opinions' of rating agencies that these assets were sound.  Nothing in Glass-Steagall prevented any of that.

Quote from: 136 or 142 on June 09, 2016, 09:05:00 AM
Woody Guthrie wrote a song about Donald Trump's psychopathic father.  I suppose it's possible that psychopathy might have a genetic component.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2016/01/25/woody-guthrie-sang-of-his-contempt-for-his-landlord-donald-trumps-father/

I suppose
Old Man Trump knows
Just how much
Racial Hate
he stirred up
In the bloodpot of human hearts
When he drawed
That color line
Here at his
Eighteen hundred family project

Mr. Guthrie even reworked his song “I Ain’t Got No Home” into a critique of Fred Trump, according to Mr. Kaufman:

Beach Haven ain’t my home!
I just can’t pay this rent!
My money’s down the drain!
And my soul is badly bent!
Beach Haven looks like heaven
Where no black ones come to roam!
No, no, no! Old Man Trump!
Old Beach Haven ain’t my home!

Hate to break this to you, but Woodrow was a commie.

Neo-Conservative economics with Alinsky social and political policies.

Everyone is getting fucked with Hilldawg.

136 or 142

Quote from: FightTheFuture on June 09, 2016, 09:50:53 AM

Hate to break this to you, but Woodrow was a commie.

And?

Juan

Indeed he was a commie, and the song lyrics show how much the arguments of the pre-WWII communists are now the arguments of the Democrats.

136 or 142

Quote from: Juan on June 09, 2016, 09:54:37 AM
Indeed he was a commie, and the song lyrics show how much the arguments of the pre-WWII communists are now the arguments of the Democrats.

And Hitler breathed.  So, if you also breathe, you must also agree with Hitler.

Quote from: 136 or 142 on June 09, 2016, 09:05:00 AM
Woody Guthrie wrote a song about Donald Trump's psychopathic father.  I suppose it's possible that psychopathy might have a genetic component.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2016/01/25/woody-guthrie-sang-of-his-contempt-for-his-landlord-donald-trumps-father/

The more you post about Donald Trump, the more you dig around for stories about Donald Trump, I really think you honestly want to fuck him.

You are spending a lot of time, focus and energy on him.

It's like when anti-gay activists have repressed homosexual tendencies, yet blather on and on about the evils of homosexuality.

It's alright "136 or 142", this is a safe space.  If you want to come out to us, and admit you actually want Donald Trump to fuck you tenderly, go ahead.  No judgments will be given.

Quote from: 136 or 142 on June 09, 2016, 09:53:49 AM
And?

Don't mind FightTheFuture, in his limited intellect he thinks because you don't like Donald Trump, you must therefore be a conservative Republican, and your posting of song by "a commie" has thrown him for a loop.

JOHNSON 2016

P.S. GARY WANTS TO LEGALIZE DRUGS 8)

Quote from: The King of Kings on June 09, 2016, 10:04:14 AM
Don't mind FightTheFuture, in his limited intellect he thinks because you don't like Donald Trump, you must therefore be a conservative Republican, and your posting of song by "a commie" has thrown him for a loop.

Haha the ko(c)k. I`m so happy to see you back. I hope that little bitch, MV, allows you to stay around awhile. You`re entertaining, if nothing else.

136 or 142

Quote from: The King of Kings on June 09, 2016, 10:01:59 AM
The more you post about Donald Trump, the more you dig around for stories about Donald Trump, I really think you honestly want to fuck him.

You are spending a lot of time, focus and energy on him.

It's like when anti-gay activists have repressed homosexual tendencies, yet blather on and on about the evils of homosexuality.

It's alright "136 or 142", this is a safe space.  If you want to come out to us, and admit you actually want Donald Trump to fuck you tenderly, go ahead.  No judgments will be given.

This is the only story I've posted about Donald Trump, recently anyway, and no previous items that I posted about him required any digging (if I have posted any previous articles about him).  I also did not 'dig' for this story.  A fellow Bob Dylan fan friend of mine gave me the link to this a couple weeks ago.  I had no idea Woody Guthrie wrote a song about Fred Trump prior to this, and I had no idea that Fred Trump was something of a minor 'celebrity' in his own right prior to Donald Trump.

The only thing Donald Trump makes me feel is boredom.  He used to make me feel disgust on occasion, but now I change the channel whenever he comes on.

I note however that a fair number of your comments seem to include references to homosexuality.  So, maybe it's you who is trying to come out to us.

136 or 142

Quote from: FightTheFuture on June 09, 2016, 10:06:29 AM
JOHNSON 2016

Only marijuana.

Quote from: 136 or 142 on June 09, 2016, 10:09:45 AM
This is the only story I've posted about Donald Trump, recently anyway, and no previous items that I posted about him required any digging (if I have posted any previous articles about him).  I also did not 'dig' for this story.  A fellow Bob Dylan fan friend of mine gave me the link to this a couple weeks ago.  I had no idea Woody Guthrie wrote a song about Fred Trump prior to this, and I had no idea that Fred Trump was something of a minor 'celebrity' in his own right prior to Donald Trump.

The only thing Donald Trump makes me feel is boredom.  He used to make me feel disgust on occasion, but now I change the channel whenever he comes on.

I note however that a fair number of your comments seem to include references to homosexuality.  So, maybe it's you who is trying to come out to us.

You sure are spending a lot of time commenting and participating in this thread about Donald Trump.

One doth protest too much, me thinks.

Tell us your fantasty, come on.  Be free.

You and The Donald dine at his famous Mar-a-Lago restaurant where you enjoy a Trump Steak.  Then he takes you back to his room and you read his book "The Art of The Deal", while he showers.

You can finish the rest, it's your fantasy.

136 or 142

Quote from: The King of Kings on June 09, 2016, 10:26:43 AM
You sure are spending a lot of time commenting and participating in this thread about Donald Trump.

One doth protest too much, me thinks.

Tell us your fantasty, come on.  Be free.

You and The Donald dine at his famous Mar-a-Lago restaurant where you enjoy a Trump Steak.  Then he takes you back to his room and you read his book "The Art of The Deal", while he showers.

You can finish the rest, it's your fantasy.

1.I just came back here after being away for at least one week.
2.I'm a vegetarian
3.I don't think he actually wrote "Art of the Deal."  It was probably an "as told to" type books.  It may be that he actually wrote that book but had the rest of the books under his name ghost written, I don't know.

mikuthing01

Quote from: FightTheFuture on June 09, 2016, 10:06:29 AM
JOHNSON 2016

I felt the Johnson in 2012 as a protest vote against Romney, i will never vote for the guy again hes a kook

Quote from: mikuthing01 on June 09, 2016, 10:42:03 AM
... i will never vote for the guy again hes a kook

And Trump isn't??

Juan

They all have significant shortcomings. I wonder if our modern ability to communicate turns them all into Joshua P Warren?

GravitySucks

Quote from: FightTheFuture on June 09, 2016, 10:45:42 AM
And Trump isn't??

With the system/process/18-24 month schedule we have in place today, I think you have to be a kook to even consider it.

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 09, 2016, 11:50:26 AM
With the system/process/18-24 month schedule we have in place today, I think you have to be a kook to even consider it.

Um, you think I`m a kook because I think Trump is a kook? Well, ma`am, I think YOU are a kook for thinking I`m a kook for thinking Trump is a kook! How ya like dem apples??

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 136 or 142 on June 09, 2016, 09:49:13 AM
Your wiki link isn't set up properly.  There is actually very little evidence the repeal of Glass-Steagall had much of anything to do with the financial meltdown.  The 'successor' to Glass-Steagall, Dodd-Frank was passed with mostly Democratic votes, is largely opposed to by Republicans, and Rapist Trump promises to repeal it should he become President.  (He actually says he'll repeal most of it.  This is almost certainly due to him:
1.Trying to have this both ways, as he tries to do with virtually everything.
2.Having no idea what any of the provisions in Dodd-Frank are.)

The financial meltdown was caused by the bundling of toxic assets that were resold and the 'opinions' of rating agencies that these assets were sound.  Nothing in Glass-Steagall prevented any of that.

Good spin attempt but there actually is a lot of evidence that it led to it. Without it's repeal those toxic assets you speak of never would've happened because it allowed any bank to operate as an investment bank and take those wild risks. You're so committed to an ideology that you need to rewrite history to justify it.  ::)

P.S. And speaking of rapists, didn't the allegations against Bill Clinton rival Cosby's?  ???

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 09, 2016, 12:18:10 PM
Good spin attempt but there actually is a lot of evidence that it led to it. Without it's repeal those toxic assets you speak of never would've happened because it allowed any bank to operate as an investment bank and take those wild risks. You're so committed to an ideology that you need to rewrite history to justify it.  ::)

P.S. And speaking of rapists, didn't the allegations against Bill Clinton rival Cosby's?  ???

He won't speak on that.

I have already confronted him about Hillary dehumanizing and bullying the victims of Bill Clinton's rapes and Hillary Clinton vigorously defending someone who she knew brutally raped a 12 year old girl, and as part of the defense strategy, Hillary Clinton chose to blame the 12 year old victim.

This is who this idiot encourages others to vote for.

GravitySucks

Quote from: FightTheFuture on June 09, 2016, 12:14:31 PM
Um, you think I`m a kook because I think Trump is a kook? Well, ma`am, I think YOU are a kook for thinking I`m a kook for thinking Trump is a kook! How ya like dem apples??

I think you are too sensitive. It wasn't about you at all.

I was saying that - to even consider running for president in today's environment you have to be a kook. The jury is still out whether it takes a sociopath or a psychopath.

136 or 142

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 09, 2016, 12:18:10 PM

The banks weren't operating as investment banks, they were making loans so that people could buy houses.  They repackaged and sold these loans because, due to low interest rates, people hadn't been directly putting their money in the bank, and reselling these loans was their way to get money.  I first learned about this back in the late 1990s or early 2000s when I attended a meeting at my local credit union and its CEO mentioned they were doing this as well.

An investment bank invests in a corporation and may or may not provide either direct management of or management consulting to that corporation, in addition to more established roles for investment banks.

In regards to this and the 'wild risks' you may be confusing this with their role in trading in derivatives.  I agree they could be an area of concern, but they had nothing to do with the financial meltdown.

So, sorry, you're simply wrong about the nature of the role that these banks were involved in in the financial meltdown.

Regarding Bill Clinton.  No more or less so than the allegations regarding Rapist Trump.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 136 or 142 on June 09, 2016, 12:57:27 PM
The banks weren't operating as investment banks, they were making loans so that people could buy houses.  They repackaged and sold these loans because, due to low interest rates, people hadn't been directly putting their money in the bank, and reselling these loans was their way to get money.  I first learned about this back in the late 1990s or early 2000s when I attended a meeting at my local credit union and its CEO mentioned they were doing this as well.

An investment bank invests in a corporation and may or may not provide either direct management of or management consulting to that corporation, in addition to more established roles for investment banks.

In regards to this and the 'wild risks' you may be confusing this with their role in trading in derivatives.  I agree they could be an area of concern, but they had nothing to do with the financial meltdown.

So, sorry, you're simply wrong about the nature of the role that these banks were involved in in the financial meltdown.

Regarding Bill Clinton.  No more or less so than the allegations regarding Rapist Trump.

Sure, just keep pulling unsubstantiated factoids out of your ass. Here's some interesting reading for the rest of us here in the real world:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass%E2%80%93Steagall:_Aftermath_of_repeal

http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1877351_1877350_1877322,00.html

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/10/14/448685233/fact-check-did-glass-steagall-cause-the-2008-financial-crisis

https://berniesanders.com/yes-glass-steagall-matters-here-are-5-reasons-why/

136 or 142

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 09, 2016, 01:09:46 PM
Sure, just keep pulling unsubstantiated factoids out of your ass. Here's some interesting reading for the rest of us here in the real world:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass%E2%80%93Steagall:_Aftermath_of_repeal

http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1877351_1877350_1877322,00.html

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/10/14/448685233/fact-check-did-glass-steagall-cause-the-2008-financial-crisis

https://berniesanders.com/yes-glass-steagall-matters-here-are-5-reasons-why/

If you actually read those articles, the most they claim is that the repeal of Glass-Steagall contributed to the 'culture' that enabled the fraudulent loans being made in the first place.  I don't know if that's true or not, but I'm willing to concede that maybe it did, but with the major caveat that nothing in Glass-Steagal regulated 1.fraudulent loans 2.repackaging and selling of these fraudulent loans 3.the inaccurate 'opinions' of the rating agencies.

Juan

If you really want to find out what happened, read Reckless Endangerment by Gretchen Morgenson.  You can get a used copy from Amazon for a penny.  Morgenson is a Pulitzer Prize winning New York Times business writer - not a political hack.   She details how greed and corruption in Washington (both parties), on Wall Street, and within mortgage banks and the ratings companies led to the collapse in 2008.  There's plenty of blame to go around.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 136 or 142 on June 09, 2016, 01:17:46 PM
If you actually read those articles, the most they claim is that the repeal of Glass-Steagall contributed to the 'culture' that enabled the fraudulent loans being made in the first place.  I don't know if that's true or not, but I'm willing to concede that maybe it did, but with the major caveat that nothing in Glass-Steagal regulated 1.fraudulent loans 2.repackaging and selling of these fraudulent loans 3.the inaccurate 'opinions' of the rating agencies.

Robert Reich, Bill Clinton’s former Labor Secretary, summarized the anti-Glass-Steagall argument as follows (without naming Hillary Clinton specifically):

“To this day some Wall Street apologists argue Glass-Steagall wouldn’t have prevented the 2008 crisis because the real culprits were nonbanks like Lehman Brothers and Bear Stearns.”

He follows that with a one-word response: “Baloney.”

Reich makes an important point: “Shadow banks” like AIG and Lehman, which largely function outside the normal bank regulatory system, are a major problem. But the 2008 financial crisis became a systemic threat specifically because too-big-to-fail banks were underwriting the risky bets these companies made. And why were the big banks able to do that?

Because Glass-Steagall had been repealed.

136 or 142

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 09, 2016, 01:27:55 PM
Robert Reich, Bill Clinton’s former Labor Secretary, summarized the anti-Glass-Steagall argument as follows (without naming Hillary Clinton specifically):

“To this day some Wall Street apologists argue Glass-Steagall wouldn’t have prevented the 2008 crisis because the real culprits were nonbanks like Lehman Brothers and Bear Stearns.”

He follows that with a one-word response: “Baloney.”

Reich makes an important point: “Shadow banks” like AIG and Lehman, which largely function outside the normal bank regulatory system, are a major problem. But the 2008 financial crisis became a systemic threat specifically because too-big-to-fail banks were underwriting the risky bets these companies made. And why were the big banks able to do that?

Because Glass-Steagall had been repealed.

That's fine, that's Robert Reich's opinion.  But, as far as my reading of the evidence:
1.Many firms bought up the repackaged mortgages with the fraudulent loans/toxic assets, and the big banks were actually not that large players in that, but that the investment banks like J.P Morgan and Goldman Sachs and Bear Sterns were.  It was earlier changes to banking legislation that allowed the banks and the investment banks to do business like this with each other.

2.The mortgage lending banks and the investment banks believed the 'opinions' of the rating agencies and they weren't aware they had bought toxic assets in the first place.

I forget how this discussion even started, but Bill Clinton certainly deserves a share of the blame for all this, but so does virtually everybody in Washington for buying into this nonsense known that was known as the "Washington Consensus."

The main culprit in government by far though was the so-called guru Alan Greenspan, who fell for this Austrian School/Ayn Rand inspired nonsense that bankers don't need to be regulated because
1.Any mistakes they make are 'self correcting'
2.Bankers would never act in a manner that would harm the long term interests of the firms they work for.

He continued to believe this even as the rumors and the evidence of the corruption and fraud was piling up.  Now there is a case of a person who put ideology ahead  of reality. 

I've commented on this matter before, and if you go through any of my past comments, I don't see how anybody can say that I'm a defender of Wall Street.

Of course, the main culprits are the bankers who wrote the fraudulent loans and, especially, the executives of those firms who promoted this as a business practice.

I would finally point out that, as I wrote here previously, it's Donald Trump who says that he wants to repeal 'most of' Dodd-Frank.  So, if anybody is a shill for the interests of fraudulent bankers, it's Rapist Trump.