Yes
14 (45.2%)
No
6 (19.4%)
Undetermined
11 (35.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

margoloo

I just don't get how Rob Simone got this job.  He is boring beyond belief.  Sounds like a teenager trying to impress.  Years spent studying all these strange phenomena?  Please.  He is 16 years old.
I'm sure he is a nice enough kid, but he just doesn't have the intellect or gravitas to carry a show like this.  I am also sick of C2C turning into a Come to Jesus forum. I find myself unable to finish listening to most shows, due to utter boredom.

stevesh

Quote from: Lovely Bones on April 14, 2012, 09:14:20 AM
I'll add my general impression of him: he goes down smoothly

Take your word for that. On the show, he's a little too laid back for me - reminds me of the bear in the old Sugar Crisp TV commercials.

What I heard of the guest yesterday was total crap

Shockwave

Was the guy who didn't want to ramble on about religion even though he was, drunk? 

Quote from: preston on April 14, 2012, 06:47:01 AM
I would say 3 drunks and 1 that was doped up on downers.

PChirp

Quote from: margoloo on April 14, 2012, 10:53:56 AM
I just don't get how Rob Simone got this job.  He is boring beyond belief.  Sounds like a teenager trying to impress.  Years spent studying all these strange phenomena?  Please.  He is 16 years old.
I'm sure he is a nice enough kid, but he just doesn't have the intellect or gravitas to carry a show like this.  I am also sick of C2C turning into a Come to Jesus forum. I find myself unable to finish listening to most shows, due to utter boredom.

CANNOT make it through his shows.  Perhaps it's his prepubescent voice, dull topics, or his scheduled guests--or ALL the above.  His enthusiasm for the show appears to be there, I'll give him credit, but I'm disappointed each and every time he fills in for Snoory.  I'm getting to the point I'd rather hear a 'Best of C2C' rebroadcast or perhaps dead air.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: stevesh on April 14, 2012, 11:23:07 AM
Take your word for that. On the show, he's a little too laid back for me - reminds me of the bear in the old Sugar Crisp TV commercials.

By "goes down smoothly" I meant as in "I don't leap out of bed ready to punch him in the face" as I do with Snooron.

All things are relative, I guess, when it comes to C2C hosts.   :)

And I'll be honest.  I ditched his fill-in show this week to listen to a replay of Ian from 2006 discussing the Black Dahlia case.

ZombiePoppa

I think Rob's okay. His voice is a little to NPR-y for me, but it seems like he actually pays attention to the guest and has follow-up questions or comments that are a little more substantive than "that's true" or "something strange is happening, that's for sure".

wvghost

I think Rob is pretty good. A lot better than Noory. :) He asks decent questions and keeps the show moving along well.

Oversoul

Quote from: ZombiePoppa on April 15, 2012, 02:20:18 PM
I think Rob's okay. His voice is a little to NPR-y for me, but it seems like he actually pays attention to the guest and has follow-up questions or comments that are a little more substantive than "that's true" or "something strange is happening, that's for sure".
Quote from: wvghost on April 21, 2012, 02:14:39 AM
I think Rob is pretty good. A lot better than Noory. :) He asks decent questions and keeps the show moving along well.

Glad to hear similar positive feedback about Simone from others.  I had previously commented (« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2012, 04:47:21 AM ») as follows:
QuoteI don't think Rob Simone's that bad.  :)  I think he does better than Ian Punnett does.  And he's not as much a ham as George Knapp is.  I had hoped that the producers would have made Simone the replacement for the time slots vacated by Ian's pullout.  Simone knows how to ask intelligent questions and run a good interview.  He somehow gives me that satisfactory feeling after a show that Art Bell used to.  I think there's ground for improvement and development with Simone.   ;)

Lovely Bones

I listened to an hour or of Rob Simone last night before falling asleep.  Not bad.  I'm still not enthusiastically endorsing him, but he doesn't grate on the ears or the insult the intelligence, so that's a start.

I think I figured out what bothers me about him, though.  He's sort of the "pageant girl singer" of radio hosts, if that makes sense.  He appears to be doing everything "right," but there's something a little too canned and prescribed about his approach and delivery.  I'd like to rough him up a bit. 

There was something about Art that was always so . . . Columbo-ish. 

I like that in a person. 

Frys Girl

Quote from: Lovely Bones on April 21, 2012, 08:23:51 AM
I listened to an hour or of Rob Simone last night before falling asleep.  Not bad.  I'm still not enthusiastically endorsing him, but he doesn't grate on the ears or the insult the intelligence, so that's a start.

I think I figured out what bothers me about him, though.  He's sort of the "pageant girl singer" of radio hosts, if that makes sense.  He appears to be doing everything "right," but there's something a little too canned and prescribed about his approach and delivery.  I'd like to rough him up a bit. 

I like that in a person.
I'm with you. I like it when a host is rough around the edges.

Ben Shockley

Quote from: Frys Girl on April 21, 2012, 12:49:59 PM
...I like it when a host is rough around the edges.
Oh, Simone is that, alright.  Remember the "NASCAR lines of Peru" bit?   Suggesting that, like his claimed mentor Noory, he doesn't know much if anything of the "core curriculum" of esoterica topics.

But as of last night, I am willing to give him a little more of a chance.   As a bumper, Simone played a fairly obscure song from a usually-dissed album by one of my favorite bands (Yes) and THEN talked about why he played it and why he liked it so much.   He has no cynical reason to claim to love a song that 98% of the audience doesn't know.   So he just earned a little cred with this old prog rock fan.
Noory, on the other hand, doesn't even know most of what's played as bumpers; and if he ever does claim to love any particular song, you can bet it's for a reason --like ingratiating himself to some intern he wants to hit on and who he heard playing it.   But if it is somehow a spontaneous revelation, it probably only serves to show what a totally uncool, shut-in childhood he had, or what he's been hearing lately at the Shriners' hall.
More likely anyway: Noory considers any mention of the music to be beneath him; it's not enumerated in his contract, so to hell with it.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Ben Shockley on April 21, 2012, 04:22:49 PM

But as of last night, I am willing to give him a little more of a chance.   As a bumper, Simone played a fairly obscure song from a usually-dissed album by one of my favorite bands (Yes) and THEN talked about why he played it and why he liked it so much.   He has no cynical reason to claim to love a song that 98% of the audience doesn't know.   So he just earned a little cred with this old prog rock fan.
Noory, on the other hand, doesn't even know most of what's played as bumpers; and if he ever does claim to love any particular song, you can bet it's for a reason --like ingratiating himself to some intern he wants to hit on and who he heard playing it.   But if it is somehow a spontaneous revelation, it probably only serves to show what a totally uncool, shut-in childhood he had, or what he's been hearing lately at the Shriners' hall.
More likely anyway: Noory considers any mention of the music to be beneath him; it's not enumerated in his contract, so to hell with it.
"Tormato" is certainly better than it's rep, and count me among the 2% that was amazed to hear "Arriving UFO".

Because I'm a unrepentant music nerd, even an overall hack of a host(cough,Wells, cough)can get on my good side...albeit briefly..with decent bumper music. Wells rather odious show last Saturday had a mitigating moment when the Moody Blues "The Tide Rushes In" was played in the final hour.

Noory does not get that leeway because he chooses nothing. He's culturally retarded and that offends me more and more each day.

oracle

The truth is that all the current hosts are utterly mediocre, with George totally sucking.

Marc.Knight

I like that in a person.

The key is, I think, that Art was being Art... broadcasting from his house in the middle of nowhere in the dead of night.  Art defined the show as he made it every night.  Noory is like the weekend guest who never left, raiding the refrigerator and stinking up the bathroom.

WOTR

I have been watching Columbo (occasionally mixed with Quincy) rather than tune into coast for the last couple of weeks.  Being as I have always said that I just do not believe in coincidences, I must take this as a sign that I am on the right track.  Re-runs of ancient shows rather than coast must be the way to go...

I have to confess that I love Columbo, and have since I first saw his shows on A+E years ago.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: WOTR on April 22, 2012, 04:35:51 AM
I have been watching Columbo (occasionally mixed with Quincy) rather than tune into coast for the last couple of weeks.  Being as I have always said that I just do not believe in coincidences, I must take this as a sign that I am on the right track.  Re-runs of ancient shows rather than coast must be the way to go...

I have to confess that I love Columbo, and have since I first saw his shows on A+E years ago.

We seem to travel on similar wavelengths at times, WOTR.

Noory might be amazed at the **synchronicity** of your choosing Columbo over Coast and my rumbled raincoat reference regarding Art. 

But he wouldn't get it. 

And M. Knight, I think you have hit the proverbial nail on the proverbial head. 

ZombiePoppa

Quote from: M. Knight on April 21, 2012, 04:52:55 PMThe key is, I think, that Art was being Art... broadcasting from his house in the middle of nowhere in the dead of night.  Art defined the show as he made it every night.

Exactly. And I think a lot of us were in similar places while listening... Up at an ungodly hour, maybe working an overnight shift, laying in bed, driving a dark highway... You felt some kind of connection to Art and everybody listening. The music was chosen by him, at that moment, to create a mood. The callers, unscreened. The last show I felt came close to the glory days was Knapp's nat'l parks disappearances show.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: ZombiePoppa on April 22, 2012, 08:13:59 AM
Exactly. And I think a lot of us were in similar places while listening... Up at an ungodly hour, maybe working an overnight shift, laying in bed, driving a dark highway... You felt some kind of connection to Art and everybody listening. The music was chosen by him, at that moment, to create a mood. The callers, unscreened. The last show I felt came close to the glory days was Knapp's nat'l parks disappearances show.

[bolding mine]

I agree.  And there was one other, oddly enough also about disappearances.  Ian must have been filling in for Snoory on a Friday, because he'd planned a guest for the first hour, and open lines were to follow for three hours.  First hour was about late '60's musician Jim Sullivan, who mysteriously disappeared (http://lightintheattic.net/news/?tag=jim-sullivan). 

The topic started getting so many calls that Ian wound up doing three hours of open lines devoted to missing persons' calls.  Not a dud or a drunk in the batch, and the spontaneity of how it all unfolded felt like the old days with Art. 

stevesh

Quote from: M. Knight on April 21, 2012, 04:52:55 PM

The key is, I think, that Art was being Art... broadcasting from his house in the middle of nowhere in the dead of night.  Art defined the show as he made it every night.

Exactly, and there's no better example of the difference between Art and Simple George than the over-produced clusterfuck that Ghost To Ghost on Halloween has become under Noory's tenure. These idiots just don't get it.

b_dubb

Simone's recent show with UFO cop was solid though Simone's delivery is a limitless "top 40". But  dry entertaining. And any time that Noory takes a day off from broadcasting is a victory for broadcasting and everyone inclined to listen

Nebraska888

Quote from: b_dubb on April 22, 2012, 12:12:04 PM
Simone's recent show with UFO cop was solid though Simone's delivery is a limitless "top 40". But  dry entertaining. And any time that Noory takes a day off from broadcasting is a victory for broadcasting and everyone inclined to listen

Agreed!  I enjoy Simone and felt that he was "settling in"...... he sounded more relaxed than in his previous programs.  Hey, I'm with you....any night Noory is off, I AM HAPPY!

morphiaflow

I've said before, despite his apparent position as a Noory discovery, I don't mind Simone and I'm guardedly optimistic about him. His shows, however "rough" they may be, don't grate on me, and he has a sincerity, maybe I should say an earnestness, that's refreshing compared to Wells and Noory.

Scully

Quote from: morphiaflow on April 23, 2012, 01:13:19 AM
I've said before, despite his apparent position as a Noory discovery, I don't mind Simone and I'm guardedly optimistic about him. His shows, however "rough" they may be, don't grate on me, and he has a sincerity, maybe I should say an earnestness, that's refreshing compared to Wells and Noory.

I suspect that if Noory really did "discover" Simone, it was because he saw the guy as no threat to himself  --  thought that soothing voice would never be a hard-hitting seeker of thuh truuth Simple George imagines himself to be.

I'm agreeing with you, Morphia,  that Simone doesn't grate on me, and he does have an earnestness that is a big relief in contrast to the constant mendacity we get on a regular basis from Noory and Wells.  All in all, I'm also guardedly optimistic about him.  :)

Quote from: Scully on April 23, 2012, 04:44:50 PM

I'm agreeing with you, Morphia,  that Simone doesn't grate on me, and he does have an earnestness that is a big relief in contrast to the constant mendacity we get on a regular basis from Noory and Wells.  All in all, I'm also guardedly optimistic about him.  :)

Well said. After last week's show that's become my opinion as well. The guy can actually hold a conversation, and raise a counterpoint to something a caller says. That's actually pretty unspectacular, but like you said, compared to what we're used to, he's a godsend.

Rob Simone is not the fresh air we need.
I see it this way: the other hosts sit and eat dog feces. So when Simone comes around, we like it because he has coffee breath. And that is not a burst of fresh air..

I want to like "Robbie" Simone. I really do. I want him to rescue the show.. and maybe if he lost his cliche wedding singer tone, or his bad 80s music on a Sunday afternoon DJ persona, I would like him more...
But his voice is grating on me. More than even the low pitched passage of gas we often get on Saturdays.

I will keep trying him to figure out what I am missing here but so far no go for me.

Ben Shockley

Quote from: HorrorReporter on April 24, 2012, 07:58:45 PM
"Robbie" Simone... cliche wedding singer tone... bad 80s music on a Sunday afternoon DJ persona... his voice is grating on me.
My first thought about his voice and delivery was "George Takei impersonation."    The campy old-guy Takei.

Nebraska888

Quote from: morphiaflow on April 23, 2012, 01:13:19 AM

Yep, my thoughts exactly!

MV/Liberace!

Does Simone still host the show? Does he deserve a sticky topic on CoastGab?