Yes
14 (45.2%)
No
6 (19.4%)
Undetermined
11 (35.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Seamus Capone

I may be in the minority on this forum, but I like the guy. He seems genuinely interested and involved. His enthusiasm is *not* feigned IMO. To borrow a phrase from Bell, "Rob gets it". I wish that he would *get* a regular gig on Coast. Last night's Roswell show rocked and rolled from start to finish. OTOH, my good review of Simone might just be a result of the phenomenon that Scully mentioned. Any of the other hosts are preferable to Noory.

Scully

Quote from: Jethro Capone on June 13, 2011, 10:16:59 PM
I may be in the minority on this forum, but I like the guy. He seems genuinely interested and involved. His enthusiasm is *not* feigned IMO. To borrow a phrase from Bell, "Rob gets it". I wish that he would *get* a regular gig on Coast. Last night's Roswell show rocked and rolled from start to finish. OTOH, my good review of Simone might just be a result of the phenomenon that Scully mentioned. Any of the other hosts are preferable to Noory.
I liked him, too, Jethro.  :)

I just reread my post from 2 months ago, and have to admit I'm still a little too shell-shocked from listening to Noory to be sure I'm really being objective in my evaluation.  In any case, it was a very pleasant change, and with some new input, as Valdez noted above.

Most salient to me was that Simone seems GENUINE.  My, my, the difference between him and Noory on that point.  :(

Quote from: Scully on June 13, 2011, 11:56:04 PM
Most salient to me was that Simone seems GENUINE. 

I just listened to my first two Simone shows, the show on Pyramids with David Wilcox (12-28-10) and the show on Roswell.

The pyramid show was a bit of a yawner, because I'm not too interested in the pyramidiots that were on there. However, Simone kept the show afloat and made an awesome host.

The second show I got was the Roswell show. Wow! Simone definitely "gets it" and should totally get a regular slot to host. Great show and Rob did a bang up job keeping the guests on their toes and kept the conversation moving. The Roswell press releases and news briefs were really interesting as well.

Great host. 9/10.

JustOneFix

I actually enjoyed Sunday's program. The replays of those old radio broadcasts made it more interesting and helped fill in the background a bit.

No 4 minute song intros, well spoken and sincerely interested in the topic at hand- he's head & shoulder's above that shitbag Noory.

Agree with you guys, one of the better Coast shows in months.  Overall, I am pretty happy with Coast these days, mainly because I only need a couple of shows a week to keep me happy.  Between Knapp, Ian, Wells and Simone, plus some old Art Bell shows, I get my coast fix 6-10 times a month, and my ears remain a Noory free zone.

Scully

Rob Simone hosted recently, and I've been meaning to look up this thread ever since to see if I liked him last time he was on.  It had been a while, and I'd forgotten.  ::)   

I liked him this past August Sunday night, or at least I didn't dislike him ... again.

Hey, we're desperate for someone to pull for, Folks.

What did you think of Rob Simone this last time???  :-*

Morgus

Rob Simone is the best of the guest hosts so far I think. At least he has some good guests.
They seem to be rotating them for the second Sunday of the month since Ian gave up that slot.

pigtart

Rob Simone should be a DJ for a smooth jazz station. That's what he reminds me of. As for John B. Wells, I like his voice but I begrudge his having to go through standard right wing talking points that are recycled from Rush Limbaugh with statements about how gender identity is being threatened by liberally minded schools. This and other arguments from the right are cooked up scare tactics to prevent real discussion of real problems and Wells is most definitely guilty of being a shill for this and bringing the show into a more overt politically sided discussion when the show should be about paranormal and existential topics.

WOTR

I have to say that I only heard around 1/2 of the interview with Richard C Hoagland tonight and was thrilled.  It really was classic coast with a crackpot guest who can tie anything and everything into his personal theory and a host who lets him run with it.  Simone almost baited Hoagland a few times by using phrases such as "your theory" and "your ideas" to get him riled up into proclaiming that it is all fact and based strictly on science.  Hoagland trying to talk over Simone and accusing him of not paying enough attention.  Tying occupy Wall street and 2012 into the comet... He just let the crackpot go off in every direction; this show deserves to be named a classic and if you get the chance I would recommend a listen to the show.

Regrettably, it appears the next half is going to be an attempted plug for good old Noory's new book; but based on the first half I will probably listen.

Why, oh why can't we get Knapp and Simone as our main hosts with Ian as a fill-in?  Listening to a man who can pronounce words and knows off the top of his head where the Gregorian calendar originated gives so much more to the show.  (For the record- Hoagland managed to work in that the Catholic church created the calendar to coincide with Allenine {sp?} after Simone pointed out the origins.)

Feel free to tell me that I am wrong.  I just have not really enjoyed the show for quite awhile and tonight has been good.  Heck, I haven't even been drinking.

ourobouros2k2

Gawd, Hoagie's comparison between Elenin and Deep Impact and Morgan Freeman/Obama really drives home how insane he really is...

at any rate, work kicked my arse last night, and I only heard snippets of the RMG interview. It sounded fascinating, and I would love to hear the whole thing (pretty please to anyone who could help).

Simone does a pretty good job, he certainly is more engaging than noory.

Andy

I think Simone was a little sloppy and choppy--but good when you consider he only had 2 hours to prep.

Scully

Hoagland is getting loonier by the hour, and I was pleased when Simone refused to let him talk over him at least once.

The interview with Guiley went well, because both guest and host seem to have all their marbles. Considering that the host had only 2 hours notice, I'd say he may even have marbles to spare.

My only tiny complaint is Simone's delivery which sounds like a good pediatrician might when soothing a sick child. But then Noory's kindergarten teacher tone has made me a bit sensitive to being patronized.

I think Simone is our best hope, barring the second coming of St. Art.  ;)

Quote from: ourobouros2k2 on October 17, 2011, 06:03:26 AM
Gawd, Hoagie's comparison between Elenin and Deep Impact and Morgan Freeman/Obama really drives home how insane he really is...

at any rate, work kicked my arse last night, and I only heard snippets of the RMG interview. It sounded fascinating, and I would love to hear the whole thing (pretty please to anyone who could help).
KSFO free 7-day archives (maybe some less obnoxious station does this too):

Sunday night -- Listen to 10pm to midnight below:
http://www.ksfo560.com/Article.asp?id=534876

Monday early morning -- Listen to midnight to 2am below:

Quote from: DangerousBlossom on October 18, 2011, 12:56:06 AM
KSFO free 7-day archives (maybe some less obnoxious station does this too):

Sunday night -- Listen to 10pm to midnight below:

Monday early morning -- Listen to midnight to 2am below:

Opps, both those links are the same.  But you should be able to figure it out.  C2C is on 10pm to 2am on this station.  The show you are interested in is Sun. night to Mon. morning and will only be available for 5 more days.

valdez

Quote from: Scully on October 18, 2011, 12:37:06 AM
Hoagland is getting loonier by the hour, and I was pleased when Simone refused to let him talk over him at least once...
Quote from: WOTR on October 17, 2011, 02:15:22 AM
I have to say that I only heard around 1/2 of the interview with Richard C Hoagland tonight and was thrilled.  It really was classic coast...

The Richard C. Hoalgand interview was one of the better c2c segments in a while.  The reaction here seems to indicate that Simone got the best of Hoagland, while my impression was that Richard took the new kid out to the woodshed and schooled him on who's in charge whenever RCH is on the line.  Yeah. Simone was admirably combative, but if Richard says comet Elenin is a time capsule, then, dammit, it's a time capsule.  Simone also made the mistake of pretending to know the significance of "19.5" ( I still have no idea what it means) and Richard picked up on that, and later moved in for the kill.  With Hoagland, it's best to admit you don't know what the heck he's talking about right away.  Great stuff.
     The Guiley interview was ok, I guess, and, mercifully, the Noory segment was only a three minutes.  Thats about two minutes and a half too long for a guy who's answer to most things is "who knows?"   

Hoagland  = 1
Simone = 0

ourobouros2k2

many, many thanks for the links.

regards,
Andy

Vatar

I was fairly impressed with Simone, he may not have defeated the infamous RHC, but Simone landed a few right hooks.  I also like the fact that his voice doesn't grade on you like Snoory's. 

astroguy

Bit late to the party, but I REALLY liked Simone vs. Hoagland in this episode.  It was the least credulous interview I've heard of Richard in a very long time.  And the fact that Simone wouldn't defer to Richard and would not let Richard talk over him as George does was icing.  Now, if only Simone knew a bit astronomy and could've challenged Hoagland, that would've been better.

I was really pleased with it, especially when compared with his debut show on the pyramids and the second one on astrology.

srnightowl

Quote from: James G. on January 29, 2011, 08:42:40 PM
Rob Simone:

What Do You Think, All?

I wasn't impressed last night.

I'm much more accepting of Simone tonight, maybe he has gotten past the ol' Big Shoe jitters...

Lovely Bones

Didn't get to hear much of Rob Simone last night, so maybe this isn't a fair assessment.  But . . . what I did hear felt like a comfortable fit, like an old shoe that wasn't pinching anywhere.  Not Art.  Not Ian (who I love despite his detractors here).  Not Knapp. 

But comfortable.  Wish he'd been given the permanent slot.  I'm open-minded and willing to give Wells a chance to see what he can grow into.  But I kinda feel like I wouldn't have to work so hard if it were Simone.  Maybe that's just me. 

morphiaflow

Quote from: Lovely Bones on December 05, 2011, 07:35:47 AM
Didn't get to hear much of Rob Simone last night, so maybe this isn't a fair assessment.  But . . . what I did hear felt like a comfortable fit, like an old shoe that wasn't pinching anywhere.  Not Art.  Not Ian (who I love despite his detractors here).  Not Knapp. 

But comfortable.  Wish he'd been given the permanent slot.  I'm open-minded and willing to give Wells a chance to see what he can grow into.  But I kinda feel like I wouldn't have to work so hard if it were Simone.  Maybe that's just me.

I've never paid much attention to Simone before, but I have to say I agree with this assessment. I listened for a little while on my way home from the hospital (see the "condolences to George" thread), and I immediately realized it wasn't any of the normal hosts, and guessed it was Simone. In the little bit that I heard, there was nothing about aliens being demons, raptures, RFID chips, Iran, climate denial, young earth "science", peak oil being a myth, Obam's birth certificate, the Tea Party or the Mexican Border. Simone and the guest kept it on point, fresh, relevant to the topic, and entertaining.  Simone asked intelligent, open-ended, non-weighted-with-agenda questions, and his voice doesn't grate on me like Wells. In my world, with Ian cutting back and Knapp hopefully hanging on, Simone should be the next go-to guy, and if there's any justice, he and Knapp SHOULD become the true inheritors of the show. I hope Mr. Simone gets a chance to prove me right in those assessments.

Of course, though, given Wells' status as the new golden boy, I'm sure Simone will be perceived as a "threat", if he's seen to have too much support from Art fans. So maybe I shouldn't post this...

As much as Simone is decent he still couldn't stop Alex Jones from commandeering the first segment of the show.. 

By the way I would not be shocked if Knapp left and Simone took that slot..

Morgus

Quote from: HorrorReporter on December 05, 2011, 03:48:00 PM
As much as Simone is decent he still couldn't stop Alex Jones from commandeering the first segment of the show..
Simone is Noory's protege and had some of Noory's frequent first hour guests on, probably setup by Noory's staff.

Gassy Man

Simone does not impress me . . . he's got that plasticky gloss that so many DJs at the play-the-same-songs stations across the country all have, and I don't find him to be that inquisitive nor that dimensional a thinker.  I have found myself turning C2C off when he hosts . . . of late, the only host I can listen to for more than an hour is Knapp.

Frys Girl

I'm sick of musical chairs. What the hell is Coast to Coast AM? The American Idol of radio? I don't see any consistency or organization. I don't like any of the hosts besides Ian, and I agree with Michael when he wrote that Ian should take his credibility elsewhere. Besides, he was the only one who managed to do paranormal on a regular basis with quality and reason in tact. Good for him.

b_dubb

listening to the recent show with r simone.  i swear he just called the Nazca lines the Nascar lines.  i live in the South.  maybe listening to that Southern accent has warped my ability to understand proper annunciation

morphiaflow

I'll listen to the podcast and render a more fully formed opinion. But from the little bit I did hear, I wasn't made nauseous, and I was interested enough to not turn it off or change it.

b_dubb

also ... emerging artists needs to stop.  or jury them.  one of the country/western guys was just completely tone deaf.  that was really unpleasant.