3 (4.3%)
George Noory
10 (14.3%)
Other source
38 (54.3%)

Total Members Voted: 70

slipstream

U.S. ambassador: Political situation in China “very, very delicate”
The Chinese people are increasingly frustrated with the Chinese Communist Party and the political situation in China is "very, very delicate," U.S. Ambassador to China Gary Locke said on Wednesday.
Article Continued from Foreign Policy

b_dubb

Quote from: slipstream on January 18, 2012, 10:51:06 PM
U.S. ambassador: Political situation in China “very, very delicate”
The Chinese people are increasingly frustrated with the Chinese Communist Party and the political situation in China is "very, very delicate," U.S. Ambassador to China Gary Locke said on Wednesday.
Article Continued from Foreign Policy
kiss your iphone goodbye.  foxconn is going down

Eddie Coyle

This Wikipedia blackout crushed me. I had to find another place to get biased,erroneous nonsense and counterfactual history lessons. Come back Wikipedia come back!

Harmness

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on January 18, 2012, 11:56:32 PM
   This Wikipedia blackout crushed me. I had to find another place to get biased,erroneous nonsense and counterfactual history lessons.
There's always Alejandro's thread.

11angeleyes11

Quote from: Harmness on January 19, 2012, 04:17:18 PM
There's always Alejandro's thread.
Right, but a close is the Debbie Reynolds connection thread.  It gives information in very historical perspective.

While this may not be "world" news, i didn't wish to start a new thread for it. Art Bell would have just loved this:   http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/magazine/teenage-girls-twitching-le-roy.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1

Seamus Capone

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on March 10, 2012, 12:39:41 AM
While this may not be "world" news, i didn't wish to start a new thread for it. Art Bell would have just loved this:   http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/magazine/teenage-girls-twitching-le-roy.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1

I think that their strange behavior was caused by conversion disorder. This kind of phenomenon seems to affect female adolescents more than any other demographic group. You can find cases of hysterical teen girls, exhibiting mysterious symptoms, in varied eras and places. The Salem witch trials come to mind, although some historians suspect that ergot was the main culprit there.

Quote from: Seamus Capone on March 10, 2012, 01:35:16 AM
I think that their strange behavior was caused by conversion disorder. This kind of phenomenon seems to affect female adolescents more than any other demographic group. You can find cases of hysterical teen girls, exhibiting mysterious symptoms, in varied eras and places. The Salem witch trials come to mind, although some historians suspect that ergot was the main culprit there.

yes. the article was very good in having enough depth to bring several possible causes and the history of this sort of disorder. they did fail to consider the dire side effects of a three day stale beer bong hit.  8)

MV/Liberace!

US soldiers DELIBERATELY kill 16 civilians in Afghanistan:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/12/us-afghanistan-civilians-idUSBRE82A02V20120312

we've got to get the hell out of that country.  immediately.

MV/Liberace!

oh, and by the way... most of the murdered were children.  just wonderful.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on March 11, 2012, 09:13:49 PM
oh, and by the way... most of the murdered were children.  just wonderful.
Burning Korans, killing kids..."be all that you can be". I know a PTSD defense will be utilized, but let's face it, this scumbag was probably a stone killer before he volunteered.

Americans are so fucking lucky that it's not 1985. Back then, terrorists actually targeted American citizens abroad, whether by hijacking, or bombing of flight...or the occasional kidnapping. That doesn't happen anymore, but why I do feel it could be brought back? Count your lucky stars America.

Seamus Capone

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on March 11, 2012, 09:13:49 PMoh, and by the way... most of the murdered were children.  just wonderful

It was an aberrant and barbaric act committed by a mass murderer who does not represent his peers in our armed services. However, it's yet another example that underscores what you said in another post. We've been in the Bermuda Triangle of world empires for far too long now. We fought two world wars in less time, and the Revolutionary War and the Civil War didn't last as long as the occupation of Afghanistan. Ron Paul was right when he said that they don't hate us for our freedom. It doesn't take a diplomatic genuis to find the root cause of their hatred, as it has more to do with their freedom than our freedom. Let them decide and define their fortunes and their futures without our interference and our intervention. Our ways are not their ways, and forcing democratic values at the barrel of a gun is like forcing Christian beliefs at the point of a sword.

Oversoul

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on March 11, 2012, 09:10:57 PM
US soldiers DELIBERATELY kill 16 civilians in Afghanistan: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/12/us-afghanistan-civilians-idUSBRE82A02V20120312

It's called war fatigue.  Time to bring home our military men from Afghanistan.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Oversoul on March 12, 2012, 01:42:29 AM
It's called war fatigue.

i know what you're saying, and i have no reason to say you're wrong, but this makes the most sense to me:

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on March 11, 2012, 09:35:28 PM
...let's face it, this scumbag was probably a stone killer before he volunteered.

Oversoul

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on March 12, 2012, 01:45:07 AM
i know what you're saying, and i have no reason to say you're wrong, but this makes the most sense to me: "...let's face it, this scumbag was probably a stone killer before he volunteered."

There are developing and breaking reports that there may have been more than one offender according to witness statements and the attending circumstances.  If that were true, it would really be very scary.  It would mean "the scumbagS were probably stone killerS before THEY volunteered."  How many more such scumbags are there in the war-deployed military presently?  I'd hate to think of the consequences. 

But considering alone the PTSD affecting the troops, particularly the ones coming home and continuing to suffer untreated by the VA, war fatigue is getting high up there in the charts.  Really time to bring home the troops.

BobGrau

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on March 11, 2012, 09:10:57 PM
US soldiers DELIBERATELY kill 16 civilians in Afghanistan:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/12/us-afghanistan-civilians-idUSBRE82A02V20120312

I hate to go all alex jonesey, but I suspect we'll be seeing the opposite.

Harmness

And I hate to agree with a skirt-wearing man, but me too.

BobGrau

Quote from: Harmness on March 12, 2012, 02:53:24 PM
And I hate to agree with a skirt-wearing man, but me too.

I find people usually are more agreeable when I wear a skirt - it's something to do with the 'ornamental' dagger in my sock, I think. If only Sir Walter Scott had known about stilleto heels...  :-*

blackshap9

Friend emailed this story to me today. It's from the huffington post;

After a long night of listening to Coast to Coast AM: (I added this part myself  8) )

William Todd Crime Spree: 11 Felonies Racked Up In 9 Hours In Nashville, Cops Say

A fugitive spent his bus layover in Tennessee allegedly committing 11 felonies in just 9 hours -- a bizarre crime spree that included Tasing bar patrons, lighting a business on fire and carjacking two cabs, cops said.

William Todd traveled to Nashville on Monday by Greyhound bus and, during a lull in his trip, started wreaking havoc at 3 a.m. by breaking into a business and stealing a Taser, a revolver and a shotgun, WSMV-TV reported. He proceeded to shoot the place up, steal a T-shirt and then light the building on fire, police say.

View the timeline and photo below.

Then Todd found four people leaving a nearby bar. He held them at gunpoint, Tased one, pistol whipped another and stole their cash and credit cards, cops said.

Just five minutes later, he allegedly jacked a cab and sped off to spend his victims' money at Walmart. He unloaded $200 and headed for downtown, according to NBC Miami.

That's when things got really weird.

He reportedly found a law office, ransacked the place and defecated on a desk. He smeared feces on some framed law degrees before moving on to an adjacent hotel, police said.

Inside, Todd allegedly went door to door pretending to be a female housekeeper in an attempt to rob guests. He held a Canadian couple at gunpoint and took $600 -- crying the whole time, according to WSMV.

At some point in the hotel, he shaved his long red ponytail. Security footage shows a completely bald man leaving that is apparently him.

At about 9 a.m., Todd crashed his stolen cab into a parking garage. Two hours later, he hailed a new cab and at knifepoint kicked out the driver.

Cops were hot on his tail at this point. He drove to the Opry Mills shopping mall just outside of the city center, where he tried to submerge himself in a vat of water, with only his nose exposed, the Daily Mail reported.

But an eagle-eyed officer spotted him and brought his rampage to an end.

"He was just on a terror," said Sgt. Tony Blackburn to WSMV-TV. "I've never seen anything like this before."

Cops charged him with crimes like burglary, aggravated assault and fraud. His bond was set at $180,000. He's also reportedly a wanted man in Kentucky.

William Todd's alleged crime spree:

3:05 a.m.: Todd burglarizes a business, stealing a Taser, a revolver and a shotgun. He fires shots, steals a T-shirt and then lights the place on fire.

3:30 a.m.: Todd finds four people at a local watering hole, holds them at gunpoint, Tases one, pistol whips another and steals everyone's cash.

3:40 a.m.: He carjacks a cab and heads to Walmart to spend $200 on supplies.

5 a.m. to 6 a.m.: Todd breaks into a law office, defecates on a desk and smears poo all over some framed law degrees.

6 a.m.: Todd hits Hotel Indigo nearby, where he impersonates a female housekeeper and then steals $600 from a Canadian couple at gunpoint. He was crying the whole time.

Some time later: He shaves his head and leaves.

9 a.m.: Todd crashes his stolen cab into a parking garage.

11:30 a.m.: He hails a new cab, holds the driver at knifepoint, and takes his new ride to Opry Mills shopping mall. He submerges himself in a vat of water until cops find and arrest him.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: blackshap9 on April 10, 2012, 02:29:36 PM
...He's also reportedly a wanted man in Kentucky.

Kentucky is probably saying "He's all yours" ;)... as they accidentally on purpose lose all his police files.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: b_dubb on April 10, 2012, 10:07:46 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17673426

W T F
Lonely, middle aged American men are clutching their rosary beads at this very moment...
              Yes, we're looking at YOU, Douglas.

punkinpie

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 10, 2012, 10:21:03 PM
          Lonely, middle aged American men are clutching their rosary beads at this very moment...
              Yes, we're looking at YOU, Douglas.

hahahahhahaha!  I hope my ex-husband and his child bride are visiting her family  :D

slipstream

Quote from: b_dubb on April 10, 2012, 10:07:46 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17673426

W T F

I really hope the Philippine government holds their position.  If you give the Chinese an inch in this case, they'll take a mile.

blackshap9

Another 8.9 earthquake hits south Asian Pacific. India issues tsunami warning for Andaman Islands and eastern coast after Indonesia quake.

Oversoul

Quote from: slipstream on April 11, 2012, 12:04:48 AM
I really hope the Philippine government holds their position.  If you give the Chinese an inch in this case, they'll take a mile.

I don't know how well the Philippine government can hold its position.  Their navy vessels are WW2 vintage or recycled WW2 hardware, believe it or not.

Oversoul

Quote from: blackshap9 on April 11, 2012, 03:07:33 AM
Another 8.9 earthquake hits south Asian Pacific. India issues tsunami warning for Andaman Islands and eastern coast after Indonesia quake.

Same region in Bandeh Aceh where the big one struck in 2004 generating tsunamis that wiped out populations along coastal areas and nearby islands.  Something might be brewing big time under the crustal surface of the planet over there.   :o