• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random stupid things on your mind. Post them.

Started by timpate, September 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

BobGrau

I tried to look on the bright side and assumed it was some sort of ceremonial spirit surgery.

Sardondi

Quote from: Agent : Orange on September 07, 2012, 01:41:11 AM
It is by the juice of Sapho that Cam acquires speed, the lips acquire message posts, the posts become a warning.

It's very early. I've had about two hours sleep. And you've got me laughing like a hyena.

ziznak

Somebody mentioned Flo from the insurance commercials...   Yep... I'd totally file my claim with her.

Sardondi

Quote from: ziznak on September 07, 2012, 03:16:30 PM
Somebody mentioned Flo from the insurance commercials...   Yep... I'd totally file my claim with her.

Wow. Everybody usually has some sort of deeply buried, unknown trigger - hair color, freckles on nose, particular fragrance. And Flo plays as a smart, sassy, funny gal. But Flo as fantasy fodder? I'm trying to put her in a leather bondage outfit and it's coming out like Rosie O'Donnell in "Exit To Eden". And you know what that's like....

ziznak

I'm sorry man... it actually dawned on me years ago during a very deep string of thoughts...
"millions of people starving"
"I hate my baby momma"
"Think I'm gonna go get drunk"
"Wait... I think I wanna bang the progressive chick"

and I think she's much hotter than Rosie... keep talking trash on my homegirls Sardondi and it's ON!!

Sardondi

Quote from: ziznak on September 07, 2012, 03:53:31 PM...."Wait... I think I wanna bang the progressive chick"
and I think she's much hotter than Rosie... keep talking trash on my homegirls Sardondi and it's ON!!

But then maybe this is what you had in mind? (Okay, MV, is this going too far?)

ziznak

Jeremy Irons in a recent interview when asked about his pre-acting years as a musician in a band called The Four Pillars Of Wisdom:

"I played the drums - rather worse than Ringo Starr - if you can imagine that."

LOL

[attachimg=1]

Sardondi

Not sure this is a random, stupid thing, but it's on my mind...more like I'm starting to get concerned about it, which is: where are the fireflies? As a kid they filled the evening air in our yards. Today, in my suburban neighborhood, I haven't seen a firefly in at least 10 years. Crap.

coaster

Quote from: Sardondi on September 08, 2012, 01:11:16 AM
Not sure this is a random, stupid thing, but it's on my mind...more like I'm starting to get concerned about it, which is: where are the fireflies? As a kid they filled the evening air in our yards. Today, in my suburban neighborhood, I haven't seen a firefly in at least 10 years. Crap.
indeed. they show up for a month or two around here. well they did. prolly chemtrails and/or haarp...But seriously. The same thing with cicadas. They would lull me to sleep every summer. I haven't heard them at all.

onan

this is written at about a 6th grade level but seems to answer the question.

QuoteScientists don’t know enough about fireflies to tell for sure. But the signs are indicating light pollution as a major factor in the disappearance of fireflies all over the world.

Both male and female fireflies use their flashing lights to communicate. Some species synchronize their flashes, sometimes across large groups of thousands of insects. All species speak a language of lightâ€"scientists believe they use it to attract mates, defend their territory, and warn off predators.

Human light pollution is believed to interrupt firefly flash patterns. Scientists have observed that synchronous fireflies get out of synch for a few minutes after a car’s headlights pass. Light from homes, cars, stores, and streetlights may all make it difficult for fireflies to signal each other during matingâ€"meaning fewer firefly larvae are born next season.

http://www.firefly.org/why-are-fireflies-disappearing.html

Eddie Coyle

Grasshoppers vanished from my very urban neighborhood for 20 years...but have begun to return. Horseshoe Crabs abandoned the beach down the street from me in 1988...but began to return incrementally in 2007.

I'm singing "Nature's Way" by Spirit to myself right now.

onan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 08, 2012, 01:20:38 AM
          Grasshoppers vanished from my very urban neighborhood for 20 years...but have begun to return. Horseshoe Crabs abandoned the beach down the street from me in 1988...but began to return incrementally in 2007.

I'm singing "Nature's Way" by Spirit to myself right now.

Until reading your and Sardoni's posts, I had thought it was just me moving to more populated areas.

Growing up in an area with less than 25,000 people in a 400 mile radius... well we had lots of bugs.

coaster

light pollution seems like a pretty obvious answer.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: onan on September 08, 2012, 01:29:15 AM

Growing up in an area with less than 25,000 people in a 400 mile radius... well we had lots of bugs.
Spending all of my life in area that is roughly 12,000 people per square mile, I can't begin to imagine what that's like. Because even "rural" Massachusetts...ain't that rural.

I saw one raccoon in this neighborhood between 1980-2000. Now I have a family of them living in my neighbor's yard. Opossums and skunks galore, too. Every goddamn condo and mall built on the outskirts of Boston and it's southern suburbs pushes them further into marshlands and they swim or stowaway across Boston Harbor to our beaches and settle in yards, parks... a somewhat unexpected event, that "animal control" apparently didn't forsee.

onan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 08, 2012, 01:44:52 AM
          Spending all of my life in area that is roughly 12,000 people per square mile, I can't begin to imagine what that's like. Because even "rural" Massachusetts...ain't that rural.

I saw one raccoon in this neighborhood between 1980-2000. Now I have a family of them living in my neighbor's yard. Opossums and skunks galore, too. Every goddamn condo and mall built on the outskirts of Boston and it's southern suburbs pushes them further into marshlands and they swim or stowaway across Boston Harbor to our beaches and settle in yards, parks... a somewhat unexpected event, that "animal control" apparently didn't forsee.

It is odd. Growing up everyone knew everyone's business. But you could go days without bumping into anyone. Now no one except closest of friends knows anything about me but I can't go 20 minutes without someone being in my way.

I caught fireflies by the hundreds in the 1970s and there was ample light pollution in the city where I played a young Prometheus.

In the 1980s, they were easily caught by using a penlight flashlight to attract via signaling.  This different town in the 80s had more light pollution than the other town in the 70s.

I'm sure light pollution could possibly force relocation, but am unconvinced it would cause eradication.

My first choice would be common lawn pesticides or some other toxin combined with cyclical ebb and flow of any species.

If it were light pollution, then the darkness where I reside now would be full of them, but they are rare even here.

I've seen one this year.  Three last year.

Also, some of the diurnal species of fireflies are declining as well and some of those rely only on chemical/pheromone signaling, not photic signal/response for mating. 

And last but not least, natural predation of the larva by the goddamned fucking invasive fire ants could be a vector/factor of demise, since the firefly larva/glow worm is ~ground bound.~

Of course, now I'm thinking of The Mills Brothers version of Lincke's The Glow Worm. Thanks for putting that in my fucking head. There's no way to get rid of that than to hum the theme from Green Acres.

ziznak

Shit I live fairly close to the neighborhood I grew up in and until I just thought about it... shit... the fireflies just aren't around anymore.  I'm in an urban area that hasn't changed much since I was a kid...
oh wait... the black people... they're frying and eating the fireflies aren't they? Jesus Christ

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: onan on September 08, 2012, 01:58:23 AM
It is odd. Growing up everyone knew everyone's business. But you could go days without bumping into anyone. Now no one except closest of friends knows anything about me but I can't go 20 minutes without someone being in my way.

Very well put. The more crowded my neighborhood becomes, the more isolated I feel. We just had about 3 dozen college students move in this block last week(conversely 3 dozen also leaving) and undoubtedly, there will be almost no interaction with them. Even my "old lady"( I've been watching Rockford Files reruns tonight, forgive me) who is a social butterfly , is noticing how transient this area is becoming. The people I know on this block are the stalwarts(more like bitter-enders) who've been here for decades. Pretty much everybody else is a stranger...that will likely be gone within a year or two.

Quote from: Sardondi on September 07, 2012, 03:37:31 PM
Wow. Everybody usually has some sort of deeply buried, unknown trigger - hair color, freckles on nose, particular fragrance. And Flo plays as a smart, sassy, funny gal. But Flo as fantasy fodder? I'm trying to put her in a leather bondage outfit and it's coming out like Rosie O'Donnell in "Exit To Eden". And you know what that's like....

With you on that one.  Something about Flo's Hips & butt just says no to me.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on September 08, 2012, 12:51:22 AM
Jeremy Irons in a recent interview when asked about his pre-acting years as a musician in a band called The Four Pillars Of Wisdom:

"I played the drums - rather worse than Ringo Starr - if you can imagine that."

LOL

[attachimg=1]

I have it on good authority that Ringo Starr is "severely underrated as a drummer and was/is fantastic at keeping time with the beat.

b_dubb

I'm considering buying an old farmhouse out in the middle of nowhere to get away from everyone and everything. Will you guys loan me a million dollars so I can hire a crack team of Amish carpenters to fix the old farmhouse?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ziznak on September 07, 2012, 03:16:30 PM

to quote george carlin, i wouldn't fuck her with a stolen dick.

ziznak

Quote from: MV on September 08, 2012, 12:33:43 PM

to quote george carlin, i wouldn't fuck her with a stolen dick.
Yes I have learned that my lust for flo is not felt by the CG community and probly by most of humanity as well... just means maybe I have a chance... I still wanna tap dat.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on September 08, 2012, 03:48:10 AM
I have it on good authority that Ringo Starr is "severely underrated as a drummer and was/is fantastic at keeping time with the beat."

that's true.  also, a lot of the mechanics of ringo's drumming were later implemented by people like keith moon and john bonham.  never understood why people knock ringo.  most of them are people who simply don't know drumming.

Quote from: MV on September 08, 2012, 12:41:10 PM

that's true.  also, a lot of the mechanics of ringo's drumming were later implemented by people like keith moon and john bonham.  never understood why people knock ringo.  most of them are people who simply don't know drumming.
Exactly.

Some of his best work, IMHO :

The Beatles - Rain

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ziznak on September 08, 2012, 12:38:01 PM
Yes I have learned that my lust for flo is not felt by the CG community and probly by most of humanity as well... just means maybe I have a chance... I still wanna tap dat.
You just experienced that childhood horror of saying "I like so and so"...and the rest of the schoolyard doesn't quite see what you see and the ball busting begins. It's a cold and lonely feeling. But sometimes you can be vindicated...on March 19, 1987 I declared my desires for Melissa S------ and was met with the awful opprobrium that 11 and 12 year olds will unleash upon each other. However, by 1991 EVERY ONE of those motherfuckers(well, except the fags-edit-"alternative lifestyle") were hot for her. So there...

However...I don't see Flo getting hot anytime soon. Unless she's in a Pinto rear ended by a Tractor Trailer.