• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random stupid things on your mind. Post them.

Started by timpate, September 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

Ciardelo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 31, 2020, 04:48:02 PM
SRV used something called New Skin for when he played so much his fingers bled. I’m not sure if it’s the same thing as Krazy Glue though.

I've used New Skin in the little aerosol spray bottle. That shit burns and it seems to be a close cousin of Krazy Glue.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 31, 2020, 04:54:06 PM
I've used New Skin in the little aerosol spray bottle. That shit burns and it seems to be a close cousin of Krazy Glue.

I never liked it because they add clove oil to it and it has a very strong smell that lingers but it does work pretty well. New skin uses pyroxylin.

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 31, 2020, 04:48:02 PM
SRV used something called New Skin for when he played so much his fingers bled. I’m not sure if it’s the same thing as Krazy Glue though.
I'm not sure that was around back then. Maybe so. But I find more realistic that he grabbed some SuperGlue or KrazyGlue and used that. I've used the generic version of NewSkin and it works great on small cuts. Smells like SuperGlue/KrazyGlue and I would not use around flame. Also it burns a bit so I think disinfects in the process of sealing. The product I have is applied by a little brush.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on December 31, 2020, 04:59:36 PM
I'm not sure that was around back then. Maybe so. But I find more realistic that he grabbed some SuperGlue or KrazyGlue and used that. I've used the generic version of NewSkin and it works great on small cuts. Smells like SuperGlue/KrazyGlue and I would not use around flame. Also it burns a bit so I think disinfects in the process of sealing. The product I have is applied by a little brush.

No, I remember him mentioning that brand name in an interview.

whoozit

Tuck Andress has used super glue to reseat nails when one has lifted on the road.

Ciardelo

Quote from: albrecht on December 31, 2020, 04:59:36 PMAlso it burns a bit so I think disinfects in the process of sealing. The product I have is applied by a little brush.

Burns a bit??? :o

I remember that red stuff they used to paint on cuts when I was a kid...that shtuff burned too.

I think that's why kids nowadays are such wusses. They never got these experiences.

albrecht

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 31, 2020, 05:08:47 PM
Burns a bit??? :o

I remember that red stuff they used to paint on cuts when I was a kid...that shtuff burned too.

I think that's why kids nowadays are such wusses. They never got these experiences.
"Monkey Blood" we used to call it. They have banned it because it contained mercury. You can still buy in Ol' Mexico, I hear.

I agree. Medicines should taste or feel bad. That helps in the healing. Also discourages abuse or overuse.

Jackstar

Quote from: albrecht on December 31, 2020, 05:13:53 PM
Medicines should taste or feel bad. [...] discourages abuse or overuse.

Wrong. An addict simply discovers that their brain has been rewired to taste "bad" as "good."

Read King's "The Shining", the descriptions of Excedrin use. It's all right there in black and white.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Jackstar on December 31, 2020, 05:23:34 PM
Wrong. An addict simply discovers that their brain has been rewired to taste "bad" as "good."

Read King's "The Shining", the descriptions of Excedrin use. It's all right there in black and white.

I remember Larry Sanders really needing his Excedrin in one episode too. I thought it was just acetaminophen and caffeine. I wonder what the draw is? ???

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Jackstar on December 31, 2020, 05:30:13 PM
Must be another lone gunman.

Yeah but there are a lot of other sources of that. You could probably just buy straight caffeine pills at the same place you get the Excedrin. I wonder why caffeine plus acetaminophen is the thing?

Jackstar

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 31, 2020, 05:34:35 PM
I wonder why caffeine plus acetaminophen is the thing?

The product was formulated so as to cross the blood-brain barrier faster and more efficiently. Clearly it worked, it was a hot-selling product for a long time, in fact many people still swear by it. Because they're addicted to the particular flavor of endorphin rush that they get from its crossing of the blood-brain barrier faster and more efficiently.

Most people don't understand how addiction works. This includes most doctors.

For a more modern take on the subject, watch any episode of House, M.D. Even though it sucks, dude still's got to have his Vicodin, he tries it without the acetaminophen and it just doesn't scratch his itch.

Note that acetaminophen has been clinically proven to reduce empathy in patients who use it long-term.

The More You Know...

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Jackstar on December 31, 2020, 05:38:41 PM
The product was formulated so as to cross the blood-brain barrier faster and more efficiently. Clearly it worked, it was a hot-selling product for a long time, in fact many people still swear by it. Because they're addicted to the particular flavor of endorphin rush that they get from its crossing of the blood-brain barrier faster and more efficiently.

Most people don't understand how addiction works. This includes most doctors.

For a more modern take on the subject, watch any episode of House, M.D. Even though it sucks, dude still's got to have his Vicodin, he tries it without the acetaminophen and it just doesn't scratch his itch.

Note that acetaminophen has been clinically proven to reduce empathy in patients who use it long-term.

The More You Know...

Things aren’t proven clinically. They’re proven through long term double blind experimentation.

But interesting idea about the blood brain barrier and endorphin release though.

Jackstar

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 31, 2020, 05:43:30 PM
Things aren’t proven clinically. They’re proven through long term double blind experimentation.

Proof is decided by a jury.

albrecht

Quote from: Jackstar on December 31, 2020, 05:23:34 PM

I know at least two people who swear by Excedrin. "The only thing that works for my headaches." One is even one of those who buy into the branding- the generic equivalent of Excedrin won't "work."

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article239489758.html

https://www.localsyr.com/health/local-pharmacies-run-out-of-excedrin-as-newschannel-9-is-first-to-report-a-pause-on-production-nationwide/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_NewsChannel_9

Strategy of Tension (headache style?)   ;)

Jackstar

Quote from: albrecht on December 31, 2020, 05:53:36 PM
One is even one of those who buy into the branding- the generic equivalent of Excedrin won't "work."

I'm like this with my spell components weed as well--illicit substances won't "work," I have prefer to get the real thing legitimately, or it blows my high compromises the integrity of my research.

It ain't easy being a scientist in the 21st century... but it's worth it.

albrecht

Quote from: Jackstar on December 31, 2020, 05:44:17 PM
Not necessarily under bankruptcy, military, chancery, tax, or the various and sundry administrative Courts.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on December 31, 2020, 05:53:36 PM
I know at least two people who swear by Excedrin. "The only thing that works for my headaches." One is even one of those who buy into the branding- the generic equivalent of Excedrin won't "work."

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article239489758.html

https://www.localsyr.com/health/local-pharmacies-run-out-of-excedrin-as-newschannel-9-is-first-to-report-a-pause-on-production-nationwide/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_NewsChannel_9

Strategy of Tension (headache style?)   ;)

I don't know how people can take two of them regularly.  I keep a bottle of extra-strength in case for some reason I run out of coffee and feel the pain coming on -- caffeine withdrawal is no joke -- but then only one will do fine.

Congratulations to Dynamohum and Sredni Vashtar! You have thrown off the German yoke.  God bless.

Juan

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Jackstar on December 31, 2020, 05:44:17 PM

Technically, a jury decides guilt or liability.  Evidence presented as proof of a particular charge/position is used by a jury.

Happy New Year, Jack.

Not sure about you thread, but I for one am looking forward to this new look!

https://twitter.com/CIA/status/1344933081287974912

Jackstar

Red and black? Why is the color scheme so important?

Quote from: Jackstar on January 01, 2021, 12:01:09 PM
Red and black? Why is the color scheme so important?

We just gotta wait until the 4th!

Asuka Langley

You would think after vandalizing so many synagogues the jews would get good at it but they never do.   

https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/status/1344790305623711744

fuck jews.

albrecht

Quote from: Asuka Langley on January 01, 2021, 01:42:36 PM
You would think after vandalizing so many synagogues the jews would get good at it but they never do.   

https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/status/1344790305623711744

Every time. Though in this case it could be an outlier- and not the usual faked 'hate crime' - but one of those rivalries between Jewish sects. He was a "Mountain Jew" so maybe disrespected by the Lubavitches or others and wanted some kind of revenge? 

Why would anyone need help to write such a short, simple news article but they note "With Noah Goldberg" at the end. Maybe just some extra oversight due to the nature of the article?