• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Why has c2c am Become so Boring and bland?

Started by Chupacabra, September 11, 2010, 05:17:41 AM

Chupacabra

I never listen to c2c am anymore, just the classic shows, within the last 2 years the show has gone to an all time low. For people that have just started to listen to c2c am you have nothing to compair it to, if you only knew how much more interesting and rich the show used to be (1995-1999) you would understand how bland the show has become, like eating low fat plain yogurt. I blame it on the Host and the ever boring guests, I also think they are just simply running out of topics for the show, recyling show after show after show with just a different guest. hmmmm

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Chupacabra on September 11, 2010, 05:17:41 AM
I never listen to c2c am anymore, just the classic shows, within the last 2 years the show has gone to an all time low. For people that have just started to listen to c2c am you have nothing to compair it to, if you only knew how much more interesting and rich the show used to be (1995-1999) you would understand how bland the show has become, like eating low fat plain yogurt. I blame it on the Host and the ever boring guests, I also think they are just simply running out of topics for the show, recyling show after show after show with just a different guest. hmmmm

C2C's floating format is indicative of GN's brain, free floating and directionless.  Over the years GN has re-written the English dictionary with his mispronounciations and creative malapropisms. 

The show has become like eating pure rendered pig fat, with Prime Rib written in crayon on the cover.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Marc Knight on September 11, 2010, 06:57:18 AM
The show has become like eating pure rendered pig fat, with Prime Rib written in crayon on the cover.

HAHA

Spinner

QuoteWhy has c2c am Become so Boring and bland?
Because Noory is boring and bland, and even if the guest or topic is interesting, Noory doesn't have the intelligence to handle it.

For people that have just started to listen to c2c am you have nothing to compair it to, if you only knew how much more interesting and rich the show used to be (1995-1999) you would understand how bland the show has become, like eating low fat plain yogurt.
Exactly. I'd extend that "golden" era to around 2001

QuoteI also think they are just simply running out of topics for the show, recyling show after show after show with just a different guest.
Because Noory and his "producers" are clueless and have no imagination.

wilbrod

Premier networks hired a bunch of radio sales people to host the show. That's why it sucks they turned c2c am into a freakin radio product infomercial. They ruined c2c am. If Art Bell comes back he should start his own show again and then just name it something different

Chupacabra

''Exactly. I'd extend that "golden" era to around 2001''

ill agree that 2000 and the 2001 shows were still pretty good, even 2003 wasnt to bad. But the solid gold was 1995 to 1999, in basic terms, when Norry showed up it went down hill.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Chupacabra on September 12, 2010, 10:44:44 AM
''Exactly. I'd extend that "golden" era to around 2001''

ill agree that 2000 and the 2001 shows were still pretty good, even 2003 wasnt to bad. But the solid gold was 1995 to 1999, in basic terms, when Norry showed up it went down hill.

GN is sort of like a circus intermission clown who stayed around for the entire show. 

anomalies

I am sure it is not totally up to George Noory.  I think Clear Channel (who owns the show) has a say in what they do, as well as the producers, who run around trying to find guest speakers.  I think someone is keeping it safe for some reason and all the really controversial guests are kept away from the show or from topics they want to discuss on purpose.  I think guests are declining offers to be on the show (as Erich vonDaniken and Zecharia Sitchin did recently) and people gradually stop tuning in.  How much longer will the show last?  I'll give it another year or so before their subscribers don't renew and until Clear Channel turns C2C into something totally different than it is now.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: anomalies on September 26, 2010, 08:57:10 AM

I am sure it is not totally up to George Noory.  I think Clear Channel (who owns the show) has a say in what they do, as well as the producers, who run around trying to find guest speakers.  I think someone is keeping it safe for some reason and all the really controversial guests are kept away from the show or from topics they want to discuss on purpose.  I think guests are declining offers to be on the show (as Erich vonDaniken and Zecharia Sitchin did recently) and people gradually stop tuning in.  How much longer will the show last?  I'll give it another year or so before their subscribers don't renew and until Clear Channel turns C2C into something totally different than it is now.
what's the story behind the two guests who declined?

based on what rollye james said, there is some truth in your comments.  the producers and management behind coast to coast are telling the "talent" what to do.  this is precisely the inverse of how it's supposed to work in radio.  just sad.

edit:  by the way, anomalies... i like your avatar.

I'll back that assesment.  That is pretty much exactly what I think of the show.  It reeks of a neutralized product "that can be sold to a wider audience."  I bet coporate totally played on George's desires for stardom/success and fed him a similar spiel.

anomalies

Quote from: MV on September 26, 2010, 05:47:49 PM

what's the story behind the two guests who declined?

based on what rollye james said, there is some truth in your comments.  the producers and management behind coast to coast are telling the "talent" what to do.  this is precisely the inverse of how it's supposed to work in radio.  just sad.

edit:  by the way, anomalies... i like your avatar.

Erich vonDaniken just didn't get back to the producers in time.  Don't know why.  Zecharia Sitchin had been ill, but was on the mend at the time he was supposed to be on.  But maybe he felt he needed more downtime.  After all, he lives in New York and is almost 90.  Or maybe there were other reasons.

There have been other guests who were either treated poorly in the past or what they wanted to talk about was thrown out or for other reasons in the last 3 years or so.  Those authors and researchers haven't been back and are not likely to until they have a book to sell and can use C2C (instead of the other way around) for that purpose.

Thanks.  It's a photo taken in France in 1974 of a UFO with actual beams coming down.  That is what is so unusual about it.  Light is not supposed to do that, is it?  It's the earliest example I can think of where UFO beams stop before they hit the ground.  I got it from http://ufocasebook.com.

b_dubb

so a faceless corporation probably BOUGHT Art's show, right?  so over time ... these suits that work at the faceless corporation sit in meetings and flap their gums about shit for hours on end.  at some point, someone has to do something otherwise it will become readily apparent to everyone that those suits are in fact worthless pieces of shit.  so they issue memos.  and stuff.

so basically you have a bunch of people who have no real connection to C2C  ... no interest ... no point of reference .... making decisions about the direction of the show.  and that's why it's slowly turning into a pile of shit in front of George Noory because on paper ... he probably looked like a good idea.  but these suits don't relate to the show because they are NOT the C2C audience. 

does that help?

anomalies

Quote from: anomalies on September 27, 2010, 11:00:37 PM
Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on September 26, 2010, 08:31:43 PM
I never listen to c2c am anymore, just the classic shows, within the last 2 years the show has gone to an all time low. For people that have just started to listen to c2c am you have nothing to compair it to, if you only knew how much more interesting and rich the show used to be (1995-1999) you would understand how bland the show has become, like eating low fat plain yogurt. I blame it on the Host and the ever boring guests, I also think they are just simply running out of topics wanting him to try using a Ouija board live on air, but that is so old, he really should drop that.

I remember on a recent April 1st broadcast where they announced the show would be renamed Toast to Toast or some such silliness - a cooking program, no less.  Maybe that was someone behind the scene's way to announce they were actually changing their theme from paranormal (mostly) to the ordinary?  I could be reading more into it than I should, but, maybe not.

anomalies

Quote from: b_dubb on September 28, 2010, 08:50:14 PM
so a faceless corporation probably BOUGHT Art's show, right?  so over time ... these suits that work at the faceless corporation sit in meetings and flap their gums about shit for hours on end.  at some point, someone has to do something otherwise it will become readily apparent to everyone that those suits are in fact worthless pieces of shit.  so they issue memos.  and stuff.

so basically you have a bunch of people who have no real connection to C2C  ... no interest ... no point of reference .... making decisions about the direction of the show.  and that's why it's slowly turning into a pile of shit in front of George Noory because on paper ... he probably looked like a good idea.  but these suits don't relate to the show because they are NOT the C2C audience. 

does that help?
No, not quite.  These 'faceless suits' as you call them have an agenda.  It appears they want to dumb down America and the world even more than they are already dumbed down.  Or perhaps ultimately they have a more nefarious reason?  Who are the guests that don't get on C2C anymore or only in a limited fashion?  The somewhat shady, but not without some merit, Alex Jones.  Who is treated (by George Noory, as well as others there) with a degree of disrespect?  Richard C. Hoagland, and even Linda Moulton-Howe to some degree.  They both have been apparently told to zip it with regard to some subjects, in my opinion.  George treats Richard C. like he runs off at the mouth for no reason and has cut off Linda Howe in a rude way for having a 'poor phone' connection, when I didn't hear anything wrong with her phone!  She said almost nothing that night.  She asked him when the next time she could talk about the bees situation (there were some new theories), as well as other subject matter, and George told her "the next time you're scheduled to be on!"  You could almost hear him call her a b!+@^.  She was next scheduled to be on a month away!  And she did not actually talk about those subjects the next time she was on with George!  But, you know who did let her talk?  Whitley Strieber from http://www.unknowncountry.com.  They have a free online radio program every Saturday called Dreamland.  I never miss it.  If you have the money to subscribe to his program, which includes archives, private chat sessions and product discounts, he is smaller than C2C and could use the money to keep his program going.  It's not owned by a huge conglomerate, like Clear Channel is.  Money well spent.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: anomalies on September 29, 2010, 12:45:50 AM

does that help?
No, not quite.  These 'faceless suits' as you call them have an agenda.  It appears they want to dumb down America and the world even more than they are already dumbed down.  Or perhaps ultimately they have a more nefarious reason?  Who are the guests that don't get on C2C anymore or only in a limited fashion?  The somewhat shady, but not without some merit, Alex Jones.  Who is treated (by George Noory, as well as others there) with a degree of disrespect?  Richard C. Hoagland, and even Linda Moulton-Howe to some degree.  They both have been apparently told to zip it with regard to some subjects, in my opinion.  George treats Richard C. like he runs off at the mouth for no reason and has cut off Linda Howe in a rude way for having a 'poor phone' connection, when I didn't hear anything wrong with her phone!  She said almost nothing that night.  She asked him when the next time she could talk about the bees situation (there were some new theories), as well as other subject matter, and George told her "the next time you're scheduled to be on!"  You could almost hear him call her a b!+@^.  She was next scheduled to be on a month away!  And she did not actually talk about those subjects the next time she was on with George!  But, you know who did let her talk?  Whitley Strieber from http://www.unknowncountry.com.  They have a free online radio program every Saturday called Dreamland.  I never miss it.  If you have the money to subscribe to his program, which includes archives, private chat sessions and product discounts, he is smaller than C2C and could use the money to keep his program going.  It's not owned by a huge conglomerate, like Clear Channel is.  Money well spent.
i don't know.  to me, that's a pretty tough sell to ask for money ($40 per year) to listen to a podcast, even if it is really good. 

i know it's just a matter of opinion, and mine certainly is blessed with no assumption of inherent correctness, but i've never even been able to stomach strieber as either a guest or a host.  first off, his voice just grates on me with its monotone flatness and its pendulum cadence.  he makes me so bored and sleepy.  furthermore, when he and art both got on the whole superstorm kick, that really sealed the deal for me as far as strieber is concerned (alien probes aside), and it even dropped art back a few notches for me as well.  it wouldn't have been a problem if they'd presented it as just a good fictional story written by two men with a lifelong interest in the unusual.  however, they went so far beyond that, presenting the superstorm book as some sort of scientifically legitimate glimpse of what awaits us; a clarion call.  neither man has the credentials to make such an assertion, nor is there any historical precedent to suggest they were even in the right ballpark.  i'm growing a bit fatigued with people making money off of the whole "green" fad.

b_dubb

No, not quite.  These 'faceless suits' as you call them have an agenda.

yeah ... their agenda is too make as much money as possible, get fat bonuses and live in plush mcmansions

anomalies

Quote from: MV on September 29, 2010, 06:26:27 AM

does that help?
i don't know.  to me, that's a pretty tough sell to ask for money ($40 per year) to listen to a podcast, even if it is really good. 

i know it's just a matter of opinion, and mine certainly is blessed with no assumption of inherent correctness, but i've never even been able to stomach strieber as either a guest or a host.  first off, his voice just grates on me with its monotone flatness and its pendulum cadence.  he makes me so bored and sleepy.  furthermore, when he and art both got on the whole superstorm kick, that really sealed the deal for me as far as strieber is concerned (alien probes aside), and it even dropped art back a few notches for me as well.  it wouldn't have been a problem if they'd presented it as just a good fictional story written by two men with a lifelong interest in the unusual.  however, they went so far beyond that, presenting the superstorm book as some sort of scientifically legitimate glimpse of what awaits us; a clarion call.  neither man has the credentials to make such an assertion, nor is there any historical precedent to suggest they were even in the right ballpark.  i'm growing a bit fatigued with people making money off of the whole "green" fad.

So, you can still listen to the weekly radio show for free.

I know what you mean about Whitley, but I must say that a bit (or maybe a lot) of ego is normal for famous people.  Art, George, Ian - they all have an ego problem to varying degrees.  I know what you mean about Whitley's affected way of speaking.  Unfortunately, in my effort to speak properly and lose the 'accent,' I now have an affected way of speaking that I seem unable to lose entirely.  I have to really concentrate on it.  So, please don't be too hard on me (or Whitley) for that.

As for The Superstorm, I also thought, what are these guys doing?  They are not experts!  I'm pretty sure they based their 'idea' that this has happened in the past on that Siberian wooly mammoth, found with buttercups in his mouth (or digestive tract).  He really does exist.  Also, there are tons of these mammoths, and many were found standing upright (not in bogs).  I am guessing their research lead them to a webpage like this one:  http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/fit/chapter1.asp] [url]http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/fit/chapter1.asp[/url].  There is a bit there that adds some understanding to this case:
QuoteThey wondered how the stomach contents remained half decayed while the animals froze? This is a problem since it takes a long time to freeze an animal as large as an elephant. A quick freeze came to mind. Birds Eye Frozen Foods Company ran the calculations and came up with a staggering â€"150°F (â€"100°C). Once again, the scientists were puzzled. How could such temperatures be reached on earth, especially when apparently they were in a fairly temperate environment before the quick freeze?

I also, am no Paleoclimatologist, but I think there was more than one facet of the events leading to the mammoth ending up in the icy Siberian tundra, flash frozen.

I do agree with you about the money thing, too.

ringthane

Quote from: MV on September 29, 2010, 06:26:27 AM

Streamlink -- I remember back in the day having to listen to Art via RealPlayer when he wasn't on in the Pittsburgh market. If it hadn't been for the free streaming back then, i probably wouldn't have known of C2C until I moved to Arizona in 1998.

Strieber -- I had read him back in 80s, before I even knew of Bell. At first Communion was an exhilarating read, but then it all came crashing down when so many 'facts' from his childhood just didn't tie together in any sort of cogent narrative. I do like him as a guest, I think he's well intentioned and does a decent job hunting down stories in the field. But his voie? Yeah, soporific. And he's a terrible host.

Bell/Strieber/Superstorm -- I've got no problem accepting global warming/climate change. Ok, the jet stream is gonna hit the deck, I dig. Something bigger than my SUV is causing it, guys -- it's called the SUN. It's the one thing to this day that Art is just being a stubborn fucking mule about. No one doubts screwy stuff is going on, it's just a matter of what's causing it. You'd think a guy like Art would be smart enough to research things like the Maunder Minimum, etc. This liberal/socialist notion that a climate homeostasis of 68°/50% humidity has to be maintained or else we tax anything that moves is just insane.

Boring, blandness, etc -- someone in a thread awhile back summed it up perfectly: Art Bell used to be dangerous. Whether real or imagined, you had the feeling the guy was doing something big, something dark, something special, something only he and the audience were privy to. Bell had the secret service visit at his trailer in Pahrump. A lone voice coming out of the desert that only a few understood and fewer still believed. Bell's shtick really did play into our own personal egos and narcissism to a degree. It was pitch-perfect radio entertainment with just enough reality to keep it lively and engaging.

Now? C2C is the radio-equivalent of Chicken McNuggets, a mystery meat stamped out on an assembly line.

I listen anyway. It's mindless aural wallpaper that occupies the silence at night when I write. I still miss Art.

anomalies

Hi, ringthane.  I'm sorry to say this, but I think those visits from the Secret Service have turned Bell into what appears to be a paranoid old man.  Is he really paranoid?  Don't know, but it seems that way.  (How many times has he quit?)  Paranoia can do things to ya.

I don't miss Art.  I prefer Noory over Bell, because Noory is a kinder person.

I do think something is up at C2C and I think the format change (mixed guests) is just the tip of the iceberg, which includes annoying and sad changes.

ringthane

Quote from: anomalies on October 11, 2010, 03:36:05 PM
Hi, ringthane.  I'm sorry to say this, but I think those visits from the Secret Service have turned Bell into what appears to be a paranoid old man.  Is he really paranoid?  Don't know, but it seems that way.  (How many times has he quit?)  Paranoia can do things to ya.

I do think something is up at C2C and I think the format change (mixed guests) is just the tip of the iceberg, which includes annoying and sad changes.

Anomalies, that's where we differ -- I don't see George's kindness as an asset, but as a liability.

Yes, Art could be brief, brusque, abrupt, and at rare times even rude. To me, it didn't distract from the show. George's kindness occasionally benefits the show/format, but more often than not his hospitality causes the show to drag because he doesn't manage the callers/guests efficiently. Just my opinion.

I do agree, however, that something seems to be going on behind the scenes.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ringthane on October 12, 2010, 02:03:32 AM
Anomalies, that's where we differ -- I don't see George's kindness as an asset, but as a liability.
precisely.  it's resulted in many an unasked question... many a missed opportunity.

anomalies

Quote from: ringthane on October 12, 2010, 02:03:32 AM
Quote from: anomalies on October 11, 2010, 03:36:05 PM

Yes, Art could be brief, brusque, abrupt, and at rare times even rude. To me, it didn't distract from the show. George's kindness occasionally benefits the show/format, but more often than not his hospitality causes the show to drag because he doesn't manage the callers/guests efficiently. Just my opinion.

I do agree, however, that something seems to be going on behind the scenes.

Hey, ringthane and MV.  I understand you like the discordance of Bell, but I think he does it (sometimes) to belittle his callers unnecessarily.  There's no need to be rude.  You can just say 'You have one minute.  Thanks for calling,' and hang up.  If the caller starts going on and on, say 'We have other callers.  Gotta go now,' and hang up.  When it's a guest, you need to ask questions to put them on the spot if they don't make sense, not say, 'Well, I believe...,' because I don't give a r@t's behind what Art Bell thinks.  I am tuned in to listen to someone else's point of view, and it ain't the host's!  If we wanted to listen to Art Bell, George Noory or Ian what's-his-name's opinion, they should get their own show, called 'My Opinion ...'  I do wish Noory's interview skills would improve.  They were better before, and I partly blame the producers changing the line-up constantly, not giving George a chance to do his homework on each guest properly.  Also, this mixed format where there are multiple guests makes it difficult to keep everyone straight.  They should do away with it, or at least keep it to a single subject.  If an author is coming on to hawk a book, the host should read the book before that happens.  If Noory isn't given enough time to prepare for it, he won't know what (kindly stated) arguments to make, and the show will be pointless.  So, you blame Noory, while I think it's more than that, and partly out of his hands.

But, we do both think the show has changed for the worse and that there are interview problems with Noory (and I think all of them, except maybe Knapp).

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: anomalies on October 12, 2010, 11:37:15 PM
When it's a guest, you need to ask questions to put them on the spot if they don't make sense, not say, 'Well, I believe...,' because I don't give a r@t's behind what Art Bell thinks.  I am tuned in to listen to someone else's point of view, and it ain't the host's!  If we wanted to listen to Art Bell, George Noory or Ian what's-his-name's opinion, they should get their own show, called 'My Opinion ...'  I do wish Noory's interview skills would improve. 
thing is, i do tune in to hear what art thinks and what he has to say.  he is intelligent, he has a wide array of life experience to draw upon, he's a great conversationalist, and more often than not his input is responsible for transforming what would otherwise have been a bland, throw-away guest/interview into something memorable.  there are countless examples of that happening. 

if people didn't tune in specifically because of the host, then we'd listen to these guests on any old shit-bag talk show they ended up on... but we typically don't.  most guests themselves don't bring enough to the table to sustain three hours of spoken content.  the host must use his personality, experience, intellect, and his control over the show to snatch a guest's ideas from what would otherwise be a swirling hurricane of concepts and focus them in a package which is presentable in broadcast form. 

i think the guest is just that... a guest.  the host is supposed to make it interesting.  otherwise, anybody could be a host... but few can.

MV/Liberace!

one more thing, anomalies... i know where you're coming from, and i'm not surprised by you or anyone else who feels the way you do about art.  he often comes across as an impatient, dismissive man who harbors some sort of deeply seeded resentment toward others.  i can't explain it, but i totally see it and understand it.  i have said before that if i were given the opportunity to meet art, i'd turn it down.  i think it would be such a disappointment.  i see it when someone compliments him and he responds with a palpable disinterest.  actually, it's almost a disgust he shows when someone compliments him. 

i furthermore am not impressed by how he's abandoned his children.  as someone who hasn't seen his biological father since age 5 (which, for me, has become a personal choice rather than a circumstance), i understand how disappointing that must be to his kids, particularly with the fame he's acquired.  i don't think he's the kind of guy who has an easy time seeing the world through the eyes of other people, especially as it relates to his own actions. 

in other words... i'll bet art is an asshole.

THAT SAID... i don't care about any of this.  none of it is my business, and it doesn't affect the enjoyability of the program for me.  if anything, with the number of kooks who appear on c2c and who need/deserve manhandling, art's disposition is a boon to the program.  i don't want some guy to come on the show and suggest jesus was from venus and hear the words "absolutely" or "fascinating" follow such a suggestion.  i just wouldn't be able to continue listening to something on the order of that.

11angeleyes11

I know how to shake it up!

Next week have a week of American Coast to Coast Hosts!  All week a host would have a guest and a hour to slot for an interview with that guest.  These hosts would come from signing up with the local affliatates.  The only restriction is that they must host within the Coast show genre and have shown an interest in that area.

Each nite there will be three hosts and the last hour would be callers commenting in an open line segment.  Art Bell or Ian would alternate the manning of the phones.  Then, during that last hour, the listeners would supply the winning host through the Instapol.  With four nights you would have four hosts and they would come back for the Friday nite and the winner of the week would be selected.  After four weeks, you would have four winning hosts.  Then, the battle of the Coast hosts would be held.  The winner would get Noory's contract through 2012. 

I do NOT think that would be boring and bland.

b_dubb

Quote from: MV on October 13, 2010, 03:43:14 PMone more thing, anomalies... i know where you're coming from, and i'm not surprised by you or anyone else who feels the way you do about art.  he often comes across as an impatient, dismissive man who harbors some sort of deeply seeded resentment toward others.  i can't explain it, but i totally see it and understand it.  i have said before that if i were given the opportunity to meet art, i'd turn it down.  i think it would be such a disappointment.  i see it when someone compliments him and he responds with a palpable disinterest.  actually, it's almost a disgust he shows when someone compliments him. 

re: compliments ... people are so obsequious when they compliment him though.  no one likes a kiss ass

Quote from: MV on October 13, 2010, 03:43:14 PM
i furthermore am not impressed by how he's abandoned his children.  as someone who hasn't seen his biological father since age 5 (which, for me, has become a personal choice rather than a circumstance), i understand how disappointing that must be to his kids, particularly with the fame he's acquired.  i don't think he's the kind of guy who has an easy time seeing the world through the eyes of other people, especially as it relates to his own actions. 

i read the guy's wikipedia entry.  if you haven't perused it ... it's recommended reading

in other words... i'll bet art is an asshole.

i can see this.  but i'm not sure if i care

THAT SAID... i don't care about any of this.  none of it is my business, and it doesn't affect the enjoyability of the program for me.  if anything, with the number of kooks who appear on c2c and who need/deserve manhandling, art's disposition is a boon to the program.  i don't want some guy to come on the show and suggest jesus was from venus and hear the words "absolutely" or "fascinating" follow such a suggestion.  i just wouldn't be able to continue listening to something on the order of that.

when it works ... C2C is pretty damn enjoyable.  even Noory does a decent show once a year ;)

analog kid

one more thing, anomalies... i know where you're coming from, and i'm not surprised by you or anyone else who feels the way you do about art.  he often comes across as an impatient, dismissive man who harbors some sort of deeply seeded resentment toward others.  i can't explain it, but i totally see it and understand it.  i have said before that if i were given the opportunity to meet art, i'd turn it down.  i think it would be such a disappointment.  i see it when someone compliments him and he responds with a palpable disinterest.  actually, it's almost a disgust he shows when someone compliments him.

I've been listening to classic coast for many years, and I have a completely different view of Art. I think he's had an incredible level of patience with callers that I'm not capable of. I would have been institutionalized after a few years of having to haggle with callers to get to their point, especially when most of them have to spend air time gushing about how they looooove the host before doing so. It's irritating to me and I'm just a listener.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: analog kid on October 13, 2010, 08:39:41 PM

I've been listening to classic coast for many years, and I have a completely different view of Art. I think he's had an incredible level of patience with callers that I'm not capable of. I would have been institutionalized after a few years of having to haggle with callers to get to their point, especially when most of them have to spend air time gushing about how they looooove the host before doing so. It's irritating to me and I'm just a listener.
point taken.

ringthane

Quote from: analog kid on October 13, 2010, 08:39:41 PM

Agreed, I think Art's "no bullshit" approach can be easily overblown, misinterpreted as ego, etc. Matter of fact, I never thought Art 'abrasive' during his tenure; it wasn't until a few months of Noory's touchy/feely approach that I wished Art was still sheriff to keep things moving along.

The contrast between Art and Noory is striking. Toss in a inept management/ownership, a poor interviewer and a gradual format change and you're left with... well, the farce we have today.

Not sure if it was this thread or elsewhere, but someone had mentioned that George has alluded to this forum and not in the kindest way. Can anyone expand upon this?

b_dubb

in the span of Art's career in broadcasting ... how many times do you think he's had to say "TURN YOUR RADIO OFF"?  i'm betting that has something to do with why he seems 'unfriendly' at times.  cause people have a seemingly limitless capacity for stupidity