• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Main Menu

Guns

Started by Caruthers612, July 01, 2010, 11:34:40 PM

Quote from: somatic hypermutation on January 19, 2013, 04:58:20 AM
"Given Obama's history of of arbitrarily taking actions outide the Constitution" - provide concrete examples...

Oh, go Google it yourself.  You didn't like my examples - not even the misuse of Executive Privilige in the Fast and Furious coverup.  Yorkshire didn't like my link to ABC news.   I'm not going to waste my time going through it with you - you aren't actually interested in learning anything.

... "his unwillingness to work with Congress" LOL!   Congress is trying to use the debt ceiling against the Pres when they are the ones who instituted the spending.  McConnell stated how primary job was not about representing the people, it was to makle Obama a one term Pres.  Come on.

You do know that the Congress is a co-equal branch.  It's even listed first in the Constitution , not the Executive Branch.  They control the purse, or are supposed to.  They declare War.  This President has tried do usurp both, and when they stand up to him Big Media cranks up the propaganda machine.

About making O a 1 termer - are you completely unfamiliar with politics?  I mean completely?  All parties say some version of this about the other one ALL the time.  They seldom work together.  Ever.  Suddenly you're alarmed and think this is some new... what?  While you are Googleing, go look up some of the quotes from. oh I don't know, how about Nancy Pelosi - she's about as comtemptable as they come, go read through some of what she has had to say about working with the R's over the years.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 19, 2013, 05:35:44 AM

Oh, go Google it yourself.  You didn't like my examples - not even the misuse of Executive Privilige in the Fast and Furious coverup.  Yorkshire didn't like my link to ABC news.   I'm not going to waste my time going through it with you - you aren't actually interested in learning anything.

You do know that the Congress is a co-equal branch.  It's even listed first in the Constitution , not the Executive Branch.  They control the purse, or are supposed to.  They declare War.  This President has tried do usurp both, and when they stand up to him Big Media cranks up the propaganda machine.

About making O a 1 termer - are you completely unfamiliar with politics?  I mean completely?  All parties say some version of this about the other one ALL the time.  They seldom work together.  Ever.  Suddenly you're alarmed and think this is some new... what?  While you are Googleing, go look up some of the quotes from. oh I don't know, how about Nancy Pelosi - she's about as comtemptable as they come, go read through some of what she has had to say about working with the R's over the years.

No, I am not completely unfamiliar with politics, but you seem to be and that is my point.  Nothing Obama has done is beyond the run of the mill crap all Presidents do.  He is from a different party than Bush, but he has done less to damage the country and the Presidency than Bush ever did.  Obama has increased drone strikes and killing peope in Pakistan, significantly, but Cheney ignored the Constitution in the United States to chase down "terror."

Exactly my point, this is the same ole political stuff that always happens.  Obama is no worse than any other, it just seems you don't like his politics.

slipstream

"Given Obama's history of of arbitrarily taking actions outide the Constitution" - provide concrete examples
He went to war without consent of the congress.

Congressman Dennis Kucinich's Address to Congress on the War in Libya 1

I'll post the rest in Politics on YouTube

Dennis Kucinich is nuts, he is so far left he fell off the table.

We have not had an Act of War for a long time, and we have had alot of wars.  Which wars are you mad about, here is the list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_war_by_the_United_States

slipstream

Quote from: somatic hypermutation on January 19, 2013, 01:23:46 PM

Dennis Kucinich is nuts, he is so far left he fell off the table.

We have not had an Act of War for a long time, and we have had alot of wars.  Which wars are you mad about, here is the list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_war_by_the_United_States

Alright, so you're response is fallacious, and not based on logic.
For example, Dennis  Kucinich is a left wing nut, therefore he cannot be correct about the need for declaring war (which the constitution demands).
Okay so this is going off topic; but failure by others does not mean it becomes legally acceptable for present or future leaders to break laws.  It is laughable that Barack Obama was lauded with having taught constitutional law, so that he might follow the constitution. He failed to acknowledge the congress. Thus, President Obama took actions outside the constitution.

Sardondi

A lot of pixils seem to be giving their lives for nothing because of a misunderstanding about the applicability of the Second Amendment vis a' vis "militias". That's yesterday's news folks: the Supremes spoke to that issue in 2008 when they determined the 2nd Amendment is an individual right in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008). It's been answered definitively, so on to your next objection.

Juan

Quote from: somatic hypermutation on January 19, 2013, 03:50:36 AM
why did the Supreme Court, the most conservative Supreme Court ever,
More conservative than the one that decided Plessy vs. Ferguson 163 U.S. 537 (1896)?

HAL 9000

Quote from: somatic hypermutation on January 19, 2013, 04:51:36 AMWRONG!  Try actually using facts, not your biased perception.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/29/supreme-court-may-be-most-conservative-in-modern-history/

http://www.usnews.com/news/national/articles/2008/05/12/ranking-the-politics-of-supreme-court-justices

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/06/supreme-court-roberts-obamacare-charts

This is getting way off topic, but you actually have the temerity to cite Nate Silver (New York Times), Justin Ewers (San Fransisco reporter US News & World Report) , and Dave Gilson (worked at Mother Jones since 2003; previously worked for the San Francisco Bay Guardian, the Center for Investigative Reporting, and the Northern California bureau of the New York Times) ??  They are all left-leaning (I read their bios - have you?).

And I'm supposed to take you seriously on this (off) topic? I gave you more credit...  :'(

Sardondi

Quote from: somatic hypermutation on January 19, 2013, 03:59:02 AM
So the most conservative Supreme Court in history...

Oh boy. I ask myself, "Who can get lines like this off without breaking down in gut-busting laughter?" Of course, I should have known when I saw Mother Jones quoted as authority for anything other than when the "Internationale" singalong was scheduled. Then I see law review articles quoted as authority for the proposition that the law is somehow unsettled on the question of whether the Second Amendment is an individual right. And then there's that oh-so-tiresome "lie" and "lying" flung around with little apparent reluctance. Finally there's the presumption that, completely to the contrary of the plain text and reading of the Tenth Amendment, we little citizens derive our rights from whatever is left over after our government takes what it wants, not the other way around. But the biggest tell is the straight-faced argument that there's nothing at all objectionable to the idea of Emperor Neo ruling by executive decree - because anyone with an intellectually honest bone in his body knows the ones who say Obama is on firm ground would be bleeding from the eyes as they shrieked for the gazillion person march to overthrow the evil Bushitler had he even danced around what Obama has openly said he will do by executive decree.

Oh my.

Quote from: Sardondi on January 19, 2013, 10:27:30 PM
Oh boy. I ask myself, "Who can get lines like this off without breaking down in gut-busting laughter?" Of course, I should have known when I saw Mother Jones quoted as authority for anything other than when the "Internationale" singalong was scheduled. Then I see law review articles quoted as authority for the proposition that the law is somehow unsettled on the question of whether the Second Amendment is an individual right. And then there's that oh-so-tiresome "lie" and "lying" flung around with little apparent reluctance. Finally there's the presumption that, completely to the contrary of the plain text and reading of the Tenth Amendment, we little citizens derive our rights from whatever is left over after our government takes what it wants, not the other way around. But the biggest tell is the straight-faced argument that there's nothing at all objectionable to the idea of Emperor Neo ruling by executive decree - because anyone with an intellectually honest bone in his body knows the ones who say Obama is on firm ground would be bleeding from the eyes as they shrieked for the gazillion person march to overthrow the evil Bushitler had he even danced around what Obama has openly said he will do by executive decree.

Oh my.

I should no better than to bring facts to a forum where paranoia reigns supreme.

Did you actually read any of the articles?  Clearly not or you would know that the rating of this court as most conservative was not Mother Jones, it was the pre-eminent group that does these ratings and was very well documented.  Te links and proof are there.

What is the sign of a true idiot?   It is one who chooses ignorance as it is easier to think.  You sir are a true idiot, a factless idiot.

Juan

Since you ignored the question about whether the present court is more conservative than the Plessy court, is the current court more conservative than the one that decided Scott v. Sandford 60 U.S. 393 (1857)?

Surely you know that law review articles may be nice for extending the length of briefs, but they are not dispositive of the law.

For those of you who don't recognize the cases they are the ones that upheld "separate but equal" and slavery, respectively.

Sardondi

Quote from: somatic hypermutation on January 20, 2013, 01:02:10 AM....What is the sign of a true idiot?   It is one who chooses ignorance as it is easier to think.  You sir are a true idiot, a factless idiot.

Just for funzies one day I'm going to start tabulating ad hominem shots on this board. I have this theory that, as a broadly general rule and based purely on my own experience on the interwebz as a whole, those who lean left are much more ready and willing to use personal attacks on other Gabbers than those who lean right. Of course there are tons of examples both ways. But I feel fairly secure in saying that on this forum there are significantly more personal attacks from left than from right.

I don't know why. I tend to think there's something about the left having persuaded itself of its moral, spiritual and intellectual superiority that it is sometimes misled into believing that anything done in furtherance of its agenda is justified: that disputing a claim somehow opens everything up for dignified and classy stuff like "(y)ou are a factless idiot". Maybe it's an inability to distinguish issues and positions from individuals and personalities.

Sure I could be wrong. But I don't think I am. And the above is one more example. Just as it's also another example of the famous " 'Shut up', he explained" form of "argument". Because it's all about shutting up any dissent to the left's doctrine and dogma.

stevesh

Quote from: Sardondi on January 20, 2013, 01:56:23 PM

I don't know why. I tend to think there's something about the left having persuaded itself of its moral, spiritual and intellectual superiority that it is sometimes misled into believing that anything done in furtherance of its agenda is justified

Yes. I've always thought that the nastiness and lack of manners on the Left stems from their insistence that they are intellectually superior to the rest of us and become enraged when we don't acknowledege and defer to that alleged superiority. Education does not equal intelligence.

ItsOver

I'm surprised to see anybody call Sardondi an idiot.  I usually find his posts to be intelligent, rational,and, many times, very amusing.

ChewMouse

Quote from: ItsOver on January 20, 2013, 02:36:27 PM
I'm surprised to see anybody call Sardondi an idiot.  I usually find his posts to be intelligent, rational,and, many times, very amusing.
Me too. I think such a statement says a great deal more about the writer than it does about Sardondi.

The General

Quote from: UFO Fill on January 19, 2013, 07:04:00 PM
More conservative than the one that decided Plessy vs. Ferguson 163 U.S. 537 (1896)?
No shit. Anyone that thinks we currently have the most conservative supreme court ever must think that time began when they were born.

The General

This chart is laughable.  The '0' between liberal and conservative should be moved up to about where the '2' is on the conservative side.  To believe this chart is to believe that Elana Kagan is a conservative. This study was done before the big decision on Obamacare, and I'm sure it was a preemptive attempt at discrediting what everyone thought was going to be an overturning of the law.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: The General on January 20, 2013, 04:13:01 PM
No shit. Anyone that thinks we currently have the most conservative supreme court ever must think that time began when they were born.

Cicero: "To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child"

But I expect nothing less from the solipsistic people of today. Every fucking election is the "most important" in history. Every goddamn day representing a new wonderous epoch.

Quote from: HAL 9000 on January 19, 2013, 08:56:31 PM
This is getting way off topic, but you actually have the temerity to cite Nate Silver (New York Times), Justin Ewers (San Fransisco reporter US News & World Report) , and Dave Gilson (worked at Mother Jones since 2003; previously worked for the San Francisco Bay Guardian, the Center for Investigative Reporting, and the Northern California bureau of the New York Times) ??  They are all left-leaning (I read their bios - have you?).

And I'm supposed to take you seriously on this (off) topic? I gave you more credit...  :'(

Yes, because I am not citing their spin, I am citing the FACTS int heir report.  It works like this, facts do not change, spin does.  If you watch Fox or MSNBC should not matter as you should control the facts and ignore the spin, unfortunately most can't do it or handle it.  They simply watch for reinforcement of their belief, even if the facts are worng, which is really too bad.

Note the fact I cited is 100% correct, but you ignore it and attack the messenger.  That says something.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: ziznak on January 25, 2013, 05:29:17 AM
Gunny & Glock - Wrong Girl - Extended Version

I'm sure some knocked one out watching that.
Glock: You too can run the risk of having your own weapon used against you. Interestingly, they stereotype the bad guy in the black hat, shirt etc.. (keeps it simple for the audience perhaps?) but they don't show the result of the, two/three rounds/full clip entering/exiting the target? It's so simple in movies; The victim of assault/rape/murder is switched on enough to know when to get their firearm from the safebox, go back to watching TV (I confess I did laugh out loud at that), then assume the aim stance with no shaking, no panic, no reflection, no wrong target, no charges for manslaughter..  If life were only that straightforward.

Sardondi

Why guns? If for no other reason that that the Communist Party USA is all for Obama's gun grab: http://www.peoplesworld.org/fight-to-end-gun-violence-is-key-to-defending-democracy/

When the Communists say you're doing a great job, you really ought to step back and ask yourself, "What the hell am I doing?" Except Obama knows, and he couldn't care less that the Communists love it...because he knows his Ministry of Information, formerly called the "mainstream media" in the US, will never even raise it. Because it might tend to embarrass him, and that would never do with the pet media. And the media wonder why people despise them.

Elflord

Obama is a Commie. I can't put it any better then that.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Elflord on January 25, 2013, 04:56:46 PM
Obama is a Commie. I can't put it any better then that.
That's for sure. The second sentence, that is.

Sardondi

A notable gun control article in Newsweek's online arm, The Daily Beast, by the polymath David Mamet, whose stunning work as playwright/author/screenwriter/director/actor (I don't think Mamet has ever danced or sung professionally) was once slobbered over by the Frank Rich's of the glitterati world and the chattering classes, but less so since his libertarian views and pro-Israel stance became well known. He's less popular since he has been expressing libertarian instincts over the last decade or so. Here's the article:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2013/01/28/gun-laws-and-the-fools-of-chelm-by-david-mamet.html

Captioning the article title is this line: "The individual is not only best qualified to provide his own personal defense, he is the only one qualified to do so." Perfect.

Mamet is not ordinarily a political or cultural commentator as such. This is technically off topic, but he has a towering talent for stage and screenwriting. Many of you will no doubt be familiar with him, since he is so extraordinarily prolific. Mamet's hard-edged plays dominated the serious Broadway stage from the 70's to the 90's, and he even now has plays running near Times Square, both new and revival. Mamet is at least the equal of US theater icon Arthur Miller, whose body of significant works is miniscule compared to Mamet's massive library. Look at just the most successful of his plays: Sexual Perversity In Chicago, American Buffalo, Glengarry Glen Ross, Speed-The-Plow; and he has at least a score more plays like Oleanna, Edmund, etc., which someone who, say, keeps up with the Tony awards, views as top-flight masterful works.

But he has even more widely known screenplays and directing jobs, which include several of his plays made into movies: The Postman Always Rings Twice, The Verdict, About Last Night, The Untouchables, House of Games, We're No Angels, Homicide (a movie, not tv, starring Joe Mantegna and William H. Macy surrounded by tons of Mamet's glorious character actors), Glengarry Glen Ross, The Water Engine, Hoffa*, Oleanna, American Buffalo, The Edge, The Spanish Prisoner, Wag The Dog, Ronin, The Winslow Boy, State and Main, Hannibal, Heist and Edmond. He's even done TV, creating the show The Unit and writing episodes for it.

If nothing else, the list of actors he's written for and directed, and who repeatedly line up to work with him tells you what a monumental talent he is: Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro, Jack Nicholson, Sean Connery, William H. Macy, Joe Mantegna, Paul Newman, Sean Penn, Dustin Hoffman, it just goes on and on. And then there are the gang of Mamet's Old Reliables, who you see in almost every Mamet movie: Mike Nussbaum, Robert Prosky, J.T. Walsh, Ricky Jay, Natalija Nogulich (you'd know her face), (ex-wife) Lindsay Crouse.

Another thing is that Mamet's plays and movies were often set in the grittiest South Side parts of Chicago. He's sort of the antithesis of John Hughes, who so often set his movies in Lake Forest-type northside affluent Chicago suburbs.

All that said, I don't like all Mamet's plays and movies. To me he's such an incredible downer of a guy, with a horrible view of humanity and a depressive personality. He seems so hopeless and negative. Still I enjoy a good portion of his creations. I just can't take too many at one time.

* Mamet experimented with the dialogue in Hoffa by having characters speak in a realistic truncated, shorthand style, particularly when using obscenities. particularly in conversations between Hoffa (Jack Nicholson) and loyal right-hand man Bobby Ciaro (Danny DeVito) Such as having saying"The fuck did you do?" and "The fuck he wanna do that?". It's understood by the listeners that the intended line was "What the fuck did you do?" and "Why the fuck would he wanna do that?" I don't know of Mamet doing this in any other scripts, but then I haven't seen many of his plays.