• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Marijuana

Started by Marc.Knight, March 20, 2010, 01:13:07 PM

mikemcc

Yep -- legalize it. Tax it and/or let people grow their own.

EvB

Quote from: mikemcc on March 23, 2010, 04:23:48 PM
Yep -- legalize it. Tax it and/or let people grow their own.

If I understand it correctly - during prohibition, alcohol WAS used medicinally - and families were allowed to brew wine and beer for their household.

I agree- make it legal!  But then our next job will be to try and keep big buiness from taking it all over.  Let's keep the crops growing small and sustainable.

Marc.Knight

I grew up in a state (Vermont) where nearly 50% of the population uses marijuana.  I simply ask the proponents of legalized drugs to consider the real, hard, disturbing facts behind the great green cloud.

Pot head parents smoke wherever they like, including next to their innocent children.  Literally thousands of children are exposed to that drug in Vermont alone, every day.  It is permanently brain altering (as many long-term studies have proven) and has a more insidious effect: social de-integration.  Many adults tend to become seriously psychologically dependent on pot, and instead of buying food and clothing for themselves or their children, they spend most of their money at the local drug dealer buffet.  Inevitably, the family structure falls apart as every resource has to be devoted to attain that elusive, coveted, little baggy of pot.

Please think about the vast, and painful effects of any drug (including alcohol).  Think I'm full of crap?  Go see for yourself.  Visit the numerous child welfare organizations around Vermont, and New Hampshire, to see first hand the great lie behind the great green cloud.

Marijuana sucks.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Marc Knight on March 23, 2010, 08:35:45 PM
Marijuana sucks.
any substance can be used irresponsibly.  from super glue to wooden spoons, there are plenty of people who will improperly use nearly anything you could put in front of them.  i don't think it inherently means all of these items/substances should be rendered illegal. 

furthermore, i think if the ill effects of any drug are truly of concern to the prohibition crowd, they should turn their gaze to the pills legally sold by big pharma... pushed by lobbyists... and endorsed by paid (bought) legislators.  the cdc says over 300,000 people are killed each year in the usa due to adverse pharmaceutical reactions.  i will concede, however, that in 2009 approximately 11,000,000 orders were placed to papa john's due to pot use. 

hell, if you ask me, that means not only is pot likely the safest drug known to man with thousands of years of use to back up that claim, but it's also a major source of economic stimulus.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: MV on March 23, 2010, 09:55:57 PM

furthermore, i think if the ill effects of any drug are truly of concern to the prohibition crowd, they should turn their gaze to the pills legally sold by big pharma... pushed by lobbyists... and endorsed by paid (bought) legislators.  the cdc says over 300,000 people are killed each year in the usa due to adverse pharmaceutical reactions. 

Absolutely.

mikemcc

Quote from: Marc Knight on March 23, 2010, 08:35:45 PM

Pot head parents smoke wherever they like, including next to their innocent children.  Literally thousands of children are exposed to that drug in Vermont alone, every day.  It is permanently brain altering (as many long-term studies have proven) and has a more insidious effect: social de-integration.  Many adults tend to become seriously psychologically dependent on pot, and instead of buying food and clothing for themselves or their children, they spend most of their money at the local drug dealer buffet.  Inevitably, the family structure falls apart as every resource has to be devoted to attain that elusive, coveted, little baggy of pot.

Marijuana sucks.

I know that weed is more expensive than it was in the 70's or 80's -- probably because it is higher quality -- but I have never heard of potheads who actually would buy weed instead of food for their kids. This sounds like the movies I have seen about heroin or crack addicts, people who have lives that are completely driven by their need for the drug. I could only imagine a movie like this about pot would have to be a black comedy. But yes, if all this is true and we have lots of parents who let their lives, and the lives of their kids, fall apart because they smoke weed, that's all the more reason to legalize it. If folks can grow their own, the expense becomes pretty much a non-issue. Then at least all those parents who are starving their children so they can buy weed will be able to start buying food for their kids.

I guess I am just behind the times because I have never heard of any of this before. I'm still trying to get my head around the idea that there are legions of parents who are clothing their kids in gunny sacks and starving them because of their desperate need for pot. I have seen the horrors that alcoholism can have on families and I could definitely imagine parents who lose their jobs because of that, thus making it difficult to support their families, but I'm having a hard time seeing weed in this context. I have known people who have smoked weed for 40 years and virtually every one of them is responsible (in fact, all of them are quite successful), hold great jobs, have loving families, and are respected within their communities. The only reason any of them would NOT be respected in their communities would be if they were busted and their marijuana habits were exposed. Not because they got in a car while they were drunk and killed a family of four, but simply because they *used* weed. And, even after 40 years of recreational use, not one of these people display any hint that they are psychotic. Of course, this is anecdotal and certainly not indicative of any larger trends, it's just that I'm having a really hard time getting my head around the supposed social and personal dangers of smoking weed.   

Marc.Knight

The pro-pot lobbyists have been very efficient at promoting the myth that pot is completely harmless and even "beneficial" both to the individual and to society as a whole.  It is ravaging society.  Of course, pot users have their judgement impaired, so they will not or cannot look at the issue objectively.  A cursory internet review, or better yet, visiting re-hab centers and child welfare organizations, personally, will be an eye opener. 

I do not doubt that most people can "handle" their use of pot, both in consumption and acquisition.  But, if legalized, perhaps millions more will join the stoner realm.  Do we really want that? 

Go ahead - legalize it, but allow for some serious jail time and other punishment if kids are subjected to breathing it. 

EvB

I live in an area where pot is common - and in a state where possession of under an ounce is a misdemeanor.  I'm 100% in favor of legalization.  If you are going to relate anecdotes as reality (and BTW I have not only VISITED but WORKED IN drug rehab centers.  There is a reason why we never wrote that marijuana was the "primary drug" of any of our clients.  Our funders - government and private, would have laughed their asses off.) you can make any case for anything.   

Are both sides going over the top with their risk/benefit analysis?  Sure!  that's politics.  Meh.

As for kids - well - I'd rather not see people smoke anything around a young child - but how much policing do you expect we should do?   

Then, there are young teens who are awfully creative.  One 15 y/o I'm aware of took equipment that was intended to be used in a do-it-yourself tropical fish breeding setup.  PVC pipe, plastic tubing and aquarium glue were the most dangerous items. Particularly since the glue was not given a chance to cure - just barely set.  This kid and his buddies made themselves a bong by adding these - and a bowl made form some hardware store item - to a tall green "alien" cup they'd gotten a smoothie in at the town fair. Clearly - it was not HERBAL toxicity that was the issue here.

But then - thankfully no one in my family would ever do such a silly thing.  At least not a second time. ;-)

Marc.Knight

For those with an open mind, or who want one...

http://www.drug-rehab.com/marijuana-addiction.htm

"According to the 2001 National Household Survey on Drug Abuse, an estimated 5.6 million Americans age 12 or older reported problems with illicit drug use in the past year. Of these, 3.6 million met diagnostic criteria for dependence on an illicit drug. More than 2 million met diagnostic criteria for dependence on marijuana/hashish. In 1999, more than 220,000 people entering drug abuse treatment programs reported that marijuana was their primary drug of abuse."

Facts are weird, aren't they?

mikemcc

Quote from: Marc Knight on March 24, 2010, 09:04:29 AM
The pro-pot lobbyists have been very efficient at promoting the myth that pot is completely harmless and even "beneficial" both to the individual and to society as a whole.  It is ravaging society.  Of course, pot users have their judgement impaired, so they will not or cannot look at the issue objectively.  A cursory internet review, or better yet, visiting re-hab centers and child welfare organizations, personally, will be an eye opener. 

I do not doubt that most people can "handle" their use of pot, both in consumption and acquisition.  But, if legalized, perhaps millions more will join the stoner realm.  Do we really want that? 

Go ahead - legalize it, but allow for some serious jail time and other punishment if kids are subjected to breathing it.

I understand that there are going to be differences of opinion about this issue, and I certainly respect yours, Marc. I do, though, disagree with your statement regarding rehab centers. I was "lucky" enough in my younger years to be madly in love with two different women -- both of whom were addicts -- one to alcohol and coke and one to alcohol and anything else she could stick down her throat or into her veins. As someone who cared very much for both of these women, I was very involved in their treatment at various rehab centers and frequently went for support meetings. One went through rehab twice before it "took"; the other went through once and never cared enough about any of it to go back to rehab after that first time didn't work. She's dead now; my understanding is that she literally drank herself into oblivion. I don't know first-hand, only through things I have heard through the grapevine. As much as I loved her, we parted ways when she started to shit the bed because she was so drunk and wasted on quaaludes.

That's neither here nor there, really. What matters is that in all the times I went to support meetings at those rehab centers, I *never* encountered anyone who was there for weed. I saw people who were addicted to prescription drugs, coke (we didn't have crack then), heroin, and there were even a couple of young huffers who had fried their brains and were put into rehab by the court system. And, of course, the most common addicts of all were the many, many alcoholics. In addition, I regularly attended support groups for families of addicts including those sponsored by Al-Anon and Narc-Anon. In all the family discussions about the horrible experiences we had had as people who loved addicts, I never heard a horror story about weed. Not one. Neither did I ever hear a story about the horrible effects of weed in all the direct support groups with the addicts themselves.

My experience is why I find your statement about pot "ravaging society" so curious when it is combined with your picture of rehab centers as places that must now be filled with people who are there to fight their weed addictions. Things must really have changed during the past 20 years! As someone who lives in the upper-Midwest where things are pretty calm (our news stories tend toward a cow who disturbs the neighbors because it moos too loudly at night rather than the six or eight or ten stories about murders and rapes that I hear in the first 10 minutes of a news broadcast when I visit many other areas of the country) so maybe we are just missing out on this social scourge. I hear lots in the news here about meth labs and terrible accidents caused by alcohol, but I just don't hear much of anything about weed. So, like I said, if weed is a scourge on society, we must be missing it here.       

Marc.Knight

Quote from: mikemcc on March 24, 2010, 04:17:22 PM

I understand that there are going to be differences of opinion about this issue, and I certainly respect yours, Marc. I do, though, disagree with your statement regarding rehab centers. I was "lucky" enough in my younger years to be madly in love with two different women -- both of whom were addicts -- one to alcohol and coke and one to alcohol and anything else she could stick down her throat or into her veins. As someone who cared very much for both of these women, I was very involved in their treatment at various rehab centers and frequently went for support meetings. One went through rehab twice before it "took"; the other went through once and never cared enough about any of it to go back to rehab after that first time didn't work. She's dead now; my understanding is that she literally drank herself into oblivion. I don't know first-hand, only through things I have heard through the grapevine. As much as I loved her, we parted ways when she started to shit the bed because she was so drunk and wasted on quaaludes.

That's neither here nor there, really. What matters is that in all the times I went to support meetings at those rehab centers, I *never* encountered anyone who was there for weed. I saw people who were addicted to prescription drugs, coke (we didn't have crack then), heroin, and there were even a couple of young huffers who had fried their brains and were put into rehab by the court system. And, of course, the most common addicts of all were the many, many alcoholics. In addition, I regularly attended support groups for families of addicts including those sponsored by Al-Anon and Narc-Anon. In all the family discussions about the horrible experiences we had had as people who loved addicts, I never heard a horror story about weed. Not one. Neither did I ever hear a story about the horrible effects of weed in all the direct support groups with the addicts themselves.

My experience is why I find your statement about pot "ravaging society" so curious when it is combined with your picture of rehab centers as places that must now be filled with people who are there to fight their weed addictions. Things must really have changed during the past 20 years! As someone who lives in the upper-Midwest where things are pretty calm (our news stories tend toward a cow who disturbs the neighbors because it moos too loudly at night rather than the six or eight or ten stories about murders and rapes that I hear in the first 10 minutes of a news broadcast when I visit many other areas of the country) so maybe we are just missing out on this social scourge. I hear lots in the news here about meth labs and terrible accidents caused by alcohol, but I just don't hear much of anything about weed. So, like I said, if weed is a scourge on society, we must be missing it here.       

See post above.... surely it is twice this number today.

"In 1999, more than 220,000 people entering drug abuse treatment programs reported that marijuana was their primary drug of abuse."

Marc.Knight

I've really enjoyed the posts here.  However, I have to refer to primary experience.  As a culture, are we better off stoned or not?  It is not a matter of legalization as it is, de facto, legal now as just about everyone has access to pot if they choose to.  There are many social ramifications when you roll that joint... slaughters in Mexico, US social degradation, and inevitably, brain malfunction. 

My contribution to this post is completed.  Thanks for the great responses.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Marc Knight on March 24, 2010, 04:13:33 PM
In 1999, more than 220,000 people entering drug abuse treatment programs reported that marijuana was their PRIMARY drug of abuse."

Facts are weird, aren't they?
yes, they are... particularly when they're not in context or they're selectively used. 

first, nobody goes into drug rehab explicitly for marijuana unless they're (unfortunately) arrested for pot use/possession and a judge imposes, "son, you can go to jail or enter drug rehab." 

secondly, the word "primary" in the above quote (and common sense) suggests marijuana to be but one component of an addict's potential repertoire.  i find it suspicious that the prohibition movement (which includes agenda driven, motivated prison guard unions and correctional services contractors,  ;) ) siezes upon marijuana as the force behind problems faced by heroin and cocaine abusers who go to treatment.  i know MANY marijuana users.  i was once a regular marijuana user myself.  neither i nor anybody i've ever known has needed treatment.  the notion is utterly ridiculous and devoid of real world consideration.  like mikemcc, i am unable to name one marijuana user (people who use ONLY marijuana) who engages in criminal activity (other than smoking dried flowers from an erroneously illegal plant).

marijuana has been around for millions of years.  it's been smoked by humans since humans have smoked.  it has a long tradition of social acceptance (even in this country) prior to our relatively modern psychosis over the whole thing.  it is proven safer than tobacco, alcohol, nyquil, or mcdonalds.  in order to be toxic to the human body (other than through the mere fact it's smoke), one would have to smoke a physically impossible amount.  humans have always had a natural desire to alter their state of mind, and there should be nothing criminal in doing so.  i think the criminalization of such a private, personal decision stems from the desire among powerful people to control others.  how can something so safely used by so many of us over so many years be deserving of this continued prohibition failure? 

as an added observation, i'd like to point out that the drug cartels and street thugs oppose my position on this matter.

my own little submission of facts:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9077214414651731007#

Optiflex

I was listening last night and everything seemed plausible until they started to talk about driving. I said to my co-worker "he's not going to say people drive better is he? Like my drunk friends used to claim they drove better drunk?" To his credit, he simply pulled a study from never never land out of his arse instead. How in the world would they ever come to that conclusion? How many people are offering to the cops "yeah dude my system's loaded with THC and I've never had an accident" Just once, you'd like to hear Norri say -"Get the f__ out of here!"

I don't know who comes on in your market after Coast to Coast, but in mine Purity Products comes on and they do the same rant about any supplement they are selling in that half hour. They all make you younger, smarter, more energetic, cure cancer, alleviate pain, help clear up blemishes...

The problem is if the one in the first half hour does all this, then why do we need the fifteen other possible products that do the same things they'll be talking about in the next half hour?

According to that guy Pot cures everything!

Tonight we're here with the amazing new discovery..eating old toenail clippings..it gives you that vibrant glow, it aids digestion,your hair grows back, your sex drive increases and we're giving away a free bottle of our advanced toenail clippings..to the first 1000 callers...

Optiflex

I forgot to mention the wild claim that someday insurance companies would give discounts to them. I can see Flo now, "Do you toke a little?.....Discount!

Kaiborg

I'd hate to say this, but every Marijuana smoker I've ever known (and I've known MANY), is an impeccable driver.  These are people I've known well, over a lifetime, and I can tell you that their driving abstracts are clean as a whistle.  Marijuana isn't a "downer" in the traditional sense, does not affect your reaction time, and if anything makes you hyper-aware. 

If you've ever really  smoked pot for any period of time, you'd know that the concept of driving better while stoned is actually within the realm of possibility.  Don't kids perform better on tests when they take Adderal?  It's really not too far removed form that when you think about it, but it likely depends on your base driving skills. 

Kaiborg

Another thing, purely anecdotal I understand, but still my experience nonetheless...

I know a lot of people in their 40's, 50's, and 60's who smoke pot.  None of them have had cancer.  I know a lot of people in their 40's, 50's, and 60's who don't smoke pot, and some of them do.  It's not really fair to say that this means much, and you don't have to look farther than  Bob Marley to see a guy who smoked herb and died of cancer...  BUT, it still doesn't erase the fact that after decades of knowing hundreds of people who smoke pot and don't smoke pot, have cancer, and don't have cancer...  there really does seem to be a correlation. 

BobGrau

There are many stoner-drivers that I trust implicitly, and then there are many I wouldn't trust to even walk across a road when stoned. It really does come down to personality.
But as long as people are allowed to drive after bingeing on caffeine all day, I will continue to have no respect for the law.

Sardondi

Did You Know?

A few basic facts which the Anti-Hemp Lobby* has kept suppressed for centuries.

Did You Know that Marijuana and/or Marijuana smokers:
1) can travel through time at will;
2) males' penises increase in length approximately 187% and girth by 79%.**
3) cows fed marijuana double their total milk production, triple their butterfat content, but overall calories are "net negative", meaning "Stoner Milk"â,,¢ is a fat burner: the more you drink, the more weight you lose.
4) the "elvish rope" depicted in the Lord Of The Rings film series is in fact hemp. Hemp is far more useful than the elvish rope however, as it not only knots and unties itself upon the mental command of its owner, but seeks out those articles/persons to be trussed up and does so. Director Peter Jackson, although an advocate of hemp, chose not to depict its full powers, saying he wanted to "keep it believable".
5) Hemp can fashion itself into the true "Star Wars" space defense. This is still classified.
6) A single strand of hemp can link Earth and the Moon, and serve as the literal connection between the two. The Hemp Line will serve as the way to send billions of tons of building and mining materials to the moon, as well as the way to transport and receive the countless tons of gold, diamonds, platinum, titanium and dozens of other strategic metals which wait for us on the moon. NASA must take care, however, since the strength of hemp is such that the Moon might accidentally be pulled closer to the Earth, which could prove disastrous for tides.
7) Hemp has been capable of being fashioned into automobile bodies, impenetrable bulletproof vests and invulnerable crash helmets since the 1950's. The Anti-Hemp Lobby is very powerful though, and this knowledge has been suppressed as damaging to the world steel industry.
8 ) Automobiles powered on 10 gallons of a mixture of 10 parts water and 1 part hemp can travel a minimum of 500 miles. No sort of engine conversion is necessary. Initial expense for this mixture will be around 2¢ per mile, but is expected to be much cheaper when produced in bulk. Again, the Anti-Hemp Lobby has protected the Oil Industry.

*Variously known as The Bilderbergers, The Trilateralist Commission, The Royal House of Saxe-Coburg-Windsor and The Red-Headed League. Its high command and secret  laboratories, which include fields for growing and testing neutering strains of Frankenstein Ditchweed (which not only de-sexes all sativa plants it pollinates but also destroys all THC production as well) are 12 stories underground at a gargantuan facility at what was previously known as Area 51 of the Nellis Air Force Range at Groom Lake, Nevada. The facility includes atomic-powered Chinese grow lights capable of producing as much light as three suns.

** As a downside, some male smokers find they must seek penile-reduction surgery, otherwise they must acquire an entire new wardrobe made to accommodate the new, generous dimensions of their genitals. This has led to the ethically questionable practice of haberdashers and tailors piping marijuana smoke into their establishments, as well as giving marijuana to anyone who enters. Also, many males must have testosterone drained off once a month, otherwise they find they are able to have sex as much 27 times a day, which can prove time-consuming and little tiresome to any non-marijuana smoking partners. 

onan

QuoteThe effects of marijuana on human physical aggression.
Myerscough, Rodney; Taylor, Stuart P.
Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol 49(6), Dec 1985, 1541-1546. doi: 10.1037/0022-3514.49.6.1541
Abstract
30 male undergraduates received intense provocation following their ingestion of a low dose (.1 mg/kg), a medium dose (.25 mg/kg), or a high dose (.4 mg/kg) of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol. Each S was informed that he was competing in a reaction time (RT) task with another S in an adjoining room. At the beginning of each trial, he was told to select any 1 of 11 intensities of shock he wished his opponent to receive if his opponent lost the trial. If he lost, he would receive the shock his opponent had set for him. Regardless of who won, each S was able to see, following each trial, what level of shock his opponent had set for him. The frequency of wins and losses and the amount of shock received were programmed by the experimenter. Findings show that the Ss in the low-dose condition tended to respond in a more aggressive manner than the Ss in the moderate- and high-dose conditions. They set significantly higher shocks than Ss in the medium- and high-dose groups in a number of trials. Ss in the high-dose condition behaved in a relatively nonaggressive manner throughout the experimental session. Results support the consensus that marihuana does not instigate, precipitate, or enhance aggressive behavior. (20 ref) (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2012 APA, all rights reserved)

QuoteMarijuana-produced impairments in coordination: Experienced and inexperienced subjects.
Milstein, Stephen L.; MacCannell, Keith; Karr, Gerry; Clark, Stewart
Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, Vol 161(1), Jul 1975, 26-31. doi: 10.1097/00005053-197507000-00003
Abstract
The effects of marihuana and a placebo on perceptual-motor coordination, motor ability, and visual perception were compared in 16 cannabis-experienced and 16 naive 21-59 yr old adults. Impairments in coordination were observed in both groups. However, the impairment was greater in the experienced than in the naive group. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2012 APA, all rights reserved)

QuotePSYCHOPHARMACOLOGY
Volume 196, Number 1 (2008), 119-131, DOI: 10.1007/s00213-007-0940-7
ORIGINAL INVESTIGATION
Brain imaging study of the acute effects of Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) on attention and motor coordination in regular users of marijuana
Aviv Weinstein, Orit Brickner, Hedva Lerman, Mazal Greemland, Miki Bloch, Hava Lester, Roland Chisin, Raphael Mechoulam, Rachel Bar-Hamburger and Nanette Freedman, et al.
Download PDF (409.8 KB)View HTMLPermissions & Reprints
Related

REFERENCES (65)CITED BY (9)EXPORT CITATIONABOUT
Abstract
Procedure 
Twelve regular users of marijuana underwent two positron emission tomography (PET) scans using [18F] Fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG), one while subject to the effects of 17 mg THC, the other without THC. In both sessions, a virtual reality maze task was performed during the FDG uptake period.
Results 
When subject to the effects of 17 mg THC, regular marijuana smokers hit the walls more often on the virtual maze task than without THC. Compared to results without THC, 17 mg THC increased brain metabolism during task performance in areas that are associated with motor coordination and attention in the middle and medial frontal cortices and anterior cingulate, and reduced metabolism in areas that are related to visual integration of motion in the occipital lobes.
Conclusion 
These findings suggest that in regular marijuana users, the immediate effects of marijuana may impact on cognitiveâ€"motor skills and brain mechanisms that modulate coordinated movement and driving.

Eddie Coyle

Does he deliver and how much does he charge?

ziznak

I've always been a happier more settled person when I've been regularly smoking at least once to twice a week.  In the past I've had times where I didn't smoke for months to years and they were normally much more hectic psychologically than had I been somewhat medicated... "cannaboids" as Mr Noory pronounced it seem to be for me personally very valuable in their persuasion... overall I really do think that the world would be a better place if everybody was blunted... yeah... i sed blunted

Kaiborg

Interesting to note, there are STILL a few thousand medical marijuana dispensaries operating openly in LA county.  Here in Hollywood, there are probably at least a hundred (that's no exaggeration).  You smell pot smoke wafting through traffic everyday, but it's not like car accidents are up as a result.  It's pretty benign stuff when you use it regularly. 

ziznak

If I could I would totally dose humanity with THC in our water... and I'm sure there would be less hatred in the world... unfortunatly I have no super villan status... get high on yer own time fuckers.

Optiflex

Let me start out by saying I'm part Abenaki. My grandfather is a pure blood. Our people have been smoking pot a lot longer than 2-3 generations.

I know at least 30 "indians" who smoked pot their whole life, since early teens and...DIED OF CANCER! So please, don't use the five potheads you know as your proof that pot stops cancer. You're talking out of your ass.

I also know at least 200 "indians" who regularly smoke, swear by, and worship pot...but half also can't hold a job, are candidates for an episode of hoarders, and all claim to have chronic health issues. I'd estimate more than half of them cannot drive more than a mile without getting into an accident. I know a bunch who have given up drinking, but have a harder time giving up pot smoking! They also tend to get really, really overweight from "the munchies" and lying around inactive all day long.

As I said in my initial post, all one needs to do is listen to ANY random Purity Products 30 minute spot and if they believe the BS they'll think whatever product they are hawking cures cancer, makes you live 20 years longer, gives you energy, actually makes you younger, your penis is suddenly a foot and a half longer, your brain doubles in size, you start to be able to levitate things...it just goes on and on.

Now to the guy who said "if you ever..." Since I was about 13yrs old I regularly grew half an acre of the stuff on the "Res" since they couldn't stop us. I smoked for a few year, but really didn't care for it that much. I knew several kids who got all toked up and killed somebody in an accident. But you know, this was 30 + years ago when they didn't even keep alcohol related stats. But really, what BS! It all depends on what YOU want to believe.

For instance, growing up as an American Indian but also somebody who was encouraged to speak the truth, I often get in trouble with my own people when I point out myths about us. Like...

The myth we're all these wonderful in touch with mother Earth, environmentally conscious people. As a kid at our dump on the Res, everybody around would bring us their tires and other things. Why? Because we were the only ones who could get away with burning these things. You, living a few blocks away, would be arrested if you tried to burn tires! But now I see the same guys who did that on TV and interviews acting like they have been protecting Mother Earth since birth, and young idiots swallowing it..hook line and sinker.

You think the mafia was disbanded? They went away? LOL they made deals with Indian reservations and are running our casinos! Duhhhh I think he sort of mentioned this just the other night. Out of 400 Indians on our Res, maybe 20 work for the Casino. A few hundred Italians, and then a mix of other minorities. It's amazing how nobody can see that's what happened. The mafia simply found their sovereign nation, right in the United States!

So please...if you like to smoke pot fine, go head, whatever....but lay off the "it should be mandatory for schoolchildren because it's sooooooo beneficial" Bull s__t!

Juan

I have to say, as a former broadcaster, that those Purity infomercials are brilliantly written and executed.  The talent sounds, for the most part, like they are just talking, but the words they use are very carefully chosen to avoid FDA problems - thus, I suspect a script.

For instance, they don't say Super CoQ75 cures anything - they say it "supports" your immune system.  Meaningless.

Optiflex

I wanted a bottle of their Krill oil to try. Here's the trick, you have call up and cancel before they re-charge your credit card 5X what a health store charges for the same stuff. When you call up to order you get some sailor want to boom boom operator. Meester jew wanna order?

Guess who you get on the phone when you finally figure out what number to call to cancel?

The guy! You're actually talking to the interviewer in each infomercial as he offers you the sun and the moon to stay. He offers you 50% off, he offers payment plans, anything. But it's actually the guy who you hear in the commercials! It's his business in his basement or something. Take all that talk about visiting Purities labs and traveling to Sweden and shove it, this is a mom and pop little outfit somewhere. To listen to him yammer yopu envision him jetting round the world and going to conferences and stuff. No he's too busy answering the phone mon-fri and too cheap to hire help!

My point is, almost everything nowadays is smoke and mirrors like this.