Mel's Hole

Started by Marc.Knight, December 17, 2009, 08:19:36 PM

b_dubb

Quote from: Marc Knight on December 17, 2009, 08:19:36 PM
http://melshole.org/

looks like the link to mel's hole is down

trying to resist the allure of a really obvious joke

Spinner

Thanks for the link, MV. I only had the second interview.  :)

Yes, Art has a knack for spotting interesting stories. Another classic is the story of Mike "Madman" Marcum, which, if I recall correctly, Art plucked out the newspaper.

I miss Art...

Chupacabra

I kinda belived in mel's hole, untill he started to talk about the seal with the big round child like eyes, and the seal jumped back into the hole...

lost all credibility at that point

Stevenqbosell

Quote from: Chupacabra on November 26, 2010, 11:50:03 AM
I kinda belived in mel's hole, untill he started to talk about the seal with the big round child like eyes, and the seal jumped back into the hole...

Kinda felt the same way myself... evrything was "plausible" until he went into that nonsense.

I recall on a "Best Of" Open line show, some guy faxed in a newspaper article re: "Johnsons Hole", I forgot what part of the country, but he filled it 160 tires or something because the city inspector said he had to fill it. A year later, they were all gone, etc. Not as "paranormal" as Mels story, but a great endless pit story none-the-less. I remember when that melshole website was up, it was pretty interesting.

Quote from: Chupacabra on November 26, 2010, 11:50:03 AM

Doesn't someone end up giving the seal a radio to listen to which it later uses to communicate with humans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b_dubb

Mel's hole.  i believe this has been proven to be bullshit.  and rife with innuendo

Marc.Knight

Quote from: b_dubb on December 16, 2010, 10:34:21 AM
Mel's hole.  i believe this has been proven to be bullshit.  and rife with innuendo

Maybe sometime in the future it will develop into a common expletive.  Something like, "You're such a Mel's Hole." (not you b_dubb)

C110

I agree with chupacabra....It was a great show but Mel sort of stretched the story just a little too far to be believable at the end.  I think that is why you don't hear from AKA Mel again.  Sort of like Bugs and the shooting of a bigfoot. 

Ataraxia

I actually thought about doing a presentation on Mel's Hole for my english class. We were asked to do a Powerpoint and give a 5-10 minute presentation about an "urban legend" or superstition. I thought of so many topics from coast but decided to do one that's actually from Indiana. The Beast of Busco look it up

b_dubb

my dad is from the Indianapolis area and he pretty much flipped out when forwarded the wikipedia entry for this story.  apparently this was BIG news back in the day.  the idea of a snapping turtle the size of a tank is pretty damn freaky.  i've seen what snapping turtles can do to sticks and the fingers of idiot children that just didn't listen.  thanks for the heads up on this story.  pretty amazing and surprisingly ... um ... valid? true?

Ataraxia

I'm pretty skeptical of it, of course I am of everything. Most likely scenario would have been an alligator snapper that migrated north largest known speciman on record was about 230 pounds I believe though unconfirmed reports of up to 400 lbs. I've been through the town before and it's a quaint little place but they have statues of turtles around the town and a sign that reads turtle town usa when ya come in. I think they have 2 stop lights. It was very big news at the time went across the international wire, and a media circus insued,but it's never been found or sighted since the 1949.

Morgus

Quote from: M Knight on November 23, 2011, 07:00:19 AM

I wonder if Mel fell into the hole.

if I recall, Mel reported that Mel's hole and the land around it was confiscated years ago.
He told about another deep hole he found somewhere else though. He also told of being kidnapped and ended up in Mexico with his teeth pulled out...

fysisist

Quote from: Morgus on November 23, 2011, 01:52:24 PM
if I recall, Mel reported that Mel's hole and the land around it was confiscated years ago.
He told about another deep hole he found somewhere else though. He also told of being kidnapped and ended up in Mexico with his teeth pulled out...

Wow, and all of that was over the hole?  Classic Art Bell and C2C.  A story of mythic proportions.

b_dubb

wow. that must be some hole that Mel has there. or had.  surely a loss of such a hole would just be devastating to someone.  what a dear dear hole that must have been.  tragic

Morgus

After the land was confiscated by the feds, I recall that another guest years later (Red Elk?) claimed he was nearby and was able to reach the hole.

The General

Just in case anyone's interested... someone claiming to be Mel posted this message just this year.  Who knows if it is really him, but it's interesting.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Hello to all of you. This is Mel. I’m sorry I’ve been inconspicuous for so long, but you see, I had to put my life back together after my experiences with the hole. I returned to Australia to renew my efforts with my wombat refuge after finally receiving a large settlement from the BLM [Bureau of Land Management.] I have not spoken of the hole or its properties since my last conversation with Art on Coast to Coast, as part my agreement with the U.S. Government. I can however, discuss generally, the second hole I discovered in Nevada while living among the Basque people there. I can assure you all that everything I told Art and his listeners regarding THAT hole was true. Out of respect for the local culture though, I cannot reveal its location without their consent and they do not wish it to be so. The elders there see the hole as a sacred place and would not want it compromised by outsiders and media. I can say that my experiences there changed my life and I don’t regret any of them. I hope that some day I will be able to reveal everything in a way that will allow the public to know the truth, but I am not in a position to do that at present. I will say that I believe the truth will be known one day, but I can’t say how. I could prove my story but the risk to myself is too great, and I’ve learned from my experiences that when I get an offer, its best to take the money and run. I hope you all understand and maybe you’ll hear from me again, sooner or later…”
---------------------------------------------------------

Really nothing new.  But that would be cool if it really is Mel.  I live not too far from where the hole is supposed to be.  It's just over the mountains from me.  The original posting is here.

Quote from: The General on November 23, 2011, 04:59:13 PM
Just in case anyone's interested... someone claiming to be Mel posted this message just this year.  Who knows if it is really him, but it's interesting.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Hello to all of you. This is Mel. I’m sorry I’ve been inconspicuous for so long, but you see, I had to put my life back together after my experiences with the hole. I returned to Australia to renew my efforts with my wombat refuge after finally receiving a large settlement from the BLM [Bureau of Land Management.] I have not spoken of the hole or its properties since my last conversation with Art on Coast to Coast, as part my agreement with the U.S. Government. I can however, discuss generally, the second hole I discovered in Nevada while living among the Basque people there. I can assure you all that everything I told Art and his listeners regarding THAT hole was true. Out of respect for the local culture though, I cannot reveal its location without their consent and they do not wish it to be so. The elders there see the hole as a sacred place and would not want it compromised by outsiders and media. I can say that my experiences there changed my life and I don’t regret any of them. I hope that some day I will be able to reveal everything in a way that will allow the public to know the truth, but I am not in a position to do that at present. I will say that I believe the truth will be known one day, but I can’t say how. I could prove my story but the risk to myself is too great, and I’ve learned from my experiences that when I get an offer, its best to take the money and run. I hope you all understand and maybe you’ll hear from me again, sooner or later…”

Really nothing new.  But that would be cool if it really is Mel.  I live not too far from where the hole is supposed to be.  It's just over the mountains from me.  The original posting is here.

Hate to be negative but that just screams hoax. Seems like that guy really wants to promote a fledgling paranormal website.

The General

Quote from: GuerrillaUnReal on November 23, 2011, 05:24:39 PM
Hate to be negative but that just screams hoax. Seems like that guy really wants to promote a fledgling paranormal website.
Oh, yeah, no I agree.  It would just be cool to hear from Mel.  Whoever Mel is.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: b_dubb on November 23, 2011, 03:09:20 PM
wow. that must be some hole that Mel has there. or had.  surely a loss of such a hole would just be devastating to someone.  what a dear dear hole that must have been.  tragic

lol

Rico999

Quote from: The General on November 23, 2011, 04:59:13 PM

Mel's Hole had to be my favorite all-time yarn on Coast.  It rates right up there with "War of the Worlds," for great radio theater.   

I'm really skeptical about the existence of the "hole" and have been up on that ridge southwest of Ellensburg, WA where Mel said it was on several different occasions and damned if I could find it.   It's not a real big area and with GPS and Google Earth mapping, you can zero in on something pretty quickly. 

And I know a number of people who're locals there, grew up in the area, etc and they never heard of it.   It seems to me if "a little Mexican fella" working for a tire company would know that the "hole" was a good place to dump old tires says to me that it was pretty well known locally.   And if that was the case, every high school kid in Kittitas, Grant and Yakima county would have known about it too.   

There's an 11,000 student public university close by in Ellensburg -- Central Washington U -- with a pretty well respected Geology dept. -- if you're studying that science, this is an area to be -- and they won't respond to any inquiries about the "hole," at all.

And don't you think a "hole" over 15 miles deep would probably have ended up being at least a National Monument?   

But the yarn was so carefully crafted -- and "Mel," whoever he is -- played it so well that I have to admit, I still have 2nd thoughts.

And here's another one:  Washington state doesn't have hardly any BLM land in comparison with it's neighboring western states.   Not much at all, really.  But, in Kittitas County, there are small patches of BLM land -- right near where "Mel's Hole" was supposed to be.  And so we hear from "Mel" that the BLM paid him off and told him to keep his mouth shut. 

Interesting....but still the burden of proof remains with "Mel."

So, maybe we'll never really know the truth about the "hole" or even "Mel," but it damn sure was one hell of a story.   Mel, if you read this, here's a toast to either a great acting job or one hell of an experience.   We hope all is good with you wherever you are.

ziznak

hey that whole medley on mels hole was VERY interesting... great story even though thats all i think it was

coaster

mel's hole was a great story, but complete bullshit. I figured he was making the story up as he went along, and the story, (and hole) just got too big and out of control. He really should of dialed it down and it would of been more believable. Still, it was one of the more entertaining stories on coast.

rgtobler771

Yep complete BS but a fun story.

Notice Mel continually mentions Tacoma and Olympia? There is a hole in Tacoma somewhere that proved to be real, and not nearly as fantastic as Mel's Hole in someone's back yard.

Remeber that episode of Amazing stoires with David Carridine? Called "Thanksgiving" I think.

Look in to Red Elk and his latching on to that little tale, and it basically proves the BS factor. I'm sure Red Elk and Mel are having a great time selling jewelry and velvet Geronimos at the swap meet on South Tacoma Way.

This story was freaking awesome, nothing better than playing it around a campfire.

I came across a Japanese Science Fiction story called "He-y, Come On Ou-t" by Shinichi Hoshi that reminded me of Mel's Hole.

http://www.enotes.com/hey-come-on-out

b_dubb

i can't see / hear the words "Mel's Hole" without cracking up.  i guess i'm still a fourteen year old boy.  i may need professional help.  Onan .... you got room on the couch? what's your rate?

Sardondi

Quote from: The General on November 23, 2011, 04:59:13 PM...“Hello to all of you. This is Mel....I can however, discuss generally, the second hole I discovered in Nevada while living among the Basque people there...

Yeah, I think I know where Mel's "second hole" is...

"Mel's Hole" was classic C2C, every bit as fascinating (and obvious fantasy) as "Bugs The Bigfoot-Killer", and "The Downed Airman Of Area 51".