• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Richard Syrett

Started by muddel, July 28, 2009, 01:15:33 PM

Morgus

Quote from: zeebo on December 14, 2014, 12:47:44 AM
Just listened to "Robert's Plant Band", music derived from plant signals.
was better than Noory's submerging artists music...  8)

I would have hoped someone could have asked this Canadian Edgar Cayce something useful and specific, like the equation for the Theory of Everything or the translation key for Linear Script A or the formula for an Ebola vaccine.  Prophecies are a dime a dozen.

DanTSX

How many times did he mention how ironic that he was Canadian last night?

Mizak

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on December 14, 2014, 04:00:35 AM
I would have hoped someone could have asked this Canadian Edgar Cayce something useful and specific, like the equation for the Theory of Everything or the translation key for Linear Script A or the formula for an Ebola vaccine.  Prophecies are a dime a dozen.

Agreed.He could of got A Lot more questions also if he wasn't playing top 40 hits DJ like he does Everytime he hosts.He waists so much time explaining the bumper songs.He also repeats the same thing every time he comes back from break.We already heard what was said before the break!
CTC SUCKS NOT JUST SNOORY!!!

expat

IMHO there should be an absolute rule about prophet shows. Right up front, they should have to name five specific prophecies they made that turned correct. No bullshit -- dates, chapter and verse. If they can't, it's "We'll take a break, and when we come back, open lines"

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Mizak on December 14, 2014, 07:47:26 AM
He could of got A Lot more questions also if he wasn't playing top 40 hits DJ like he does Everytime he hosts.He waists so much time explaining the bumper songs.

Knapp's guilty of it as well, but not nearly to the extent of Syrett. "That was the Black Keys. Not a power trio, but..." Great. Thanks, Casey Kasem. It's fucking PONDEROUS how Syrett seems to dedicate as much time to his Top of the Pops asides as he does for questions for the guest.

ItsOver

I didn't listen last night.  Knapp and sometimes Schraeder salvage the steaming pile of Noory refuse but Syrett does nothing for me.

Art could play some strange music, such as "The Ketchup song" but he always made it interesting and was a master at setting the mood.  Has anyone noted, per chance, just how good he was?

I caught a little bit of the show last night.
It was a lady that recorded "musical" plants, that performed as a band. They converted some microwaves near the plants to music.
The first 15 minutes or so was "the trip down the hole" where the guest reveals in all sincerity they think some really weird shit is true.

At another moment in the show, the guest was trying to play the "plant band" recordings and there was one minute of dead air. 

There was a star "performing" bonsai tree that Syrett kept trying to get the lady to do a live performance with. She kept saying the Bonsai might not feel like performing, or she didn't have the right equipment.

ItsOver

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on December 14, 2014, 06:01:47 PM
I caught a little bit of the show last night.
It was a lady that recorded "musical" plants, that performed as a band. They converted some microwaves near the plants to music.
The first 15 minutes or so was "the trip down the hole" where the guest reveals in all sincerity they think some really weird shit is true.

At another moment in the show, the guest was trying to play the "plant band" recordings and there was one minute of dead air. 

There was a star "performing" bonsai tree that Syrett kept trying to get the lady to do a live performance with. She kept saying the Bonsai might not feel like performing, or she didn't have the right equipment.
Geesh.  This makes The Numbers Lady sound edgy.  I'm looking forward to Noory doing turkey sandwich tunes. Pit-tee-ful.

Nebraska888

I listened to the entire program last night.  The plant lady, Magda, was a little strange......and Dr. Cottrell when into trances and answered questions as he claims to be a modern Edgar Casey.  Allllrrriggghhhhtttyyyyyy then.........

All in all, the program was somewhat entertaining......I don't mind Syrett......ANYONE BUT NOORY AND GARR.  He is bright and asks good questions.....no matter how whacky his guests are.

Tonight's topic(s) look interesting and Syrett continues to host.

Syrett:..."camcorder videos of your family vacation..."

Yes, of course.

gnooryblows

this is the first time in forever that i have listened to coast two nights in a row. and ive more or less enjoyed both shows.
this dude syrett is decent
him and schrader are the best coast has to offer at the moment, no doubt.

WOTR

Quote from: DanTSX on December 14, 2014, 07:14:42 AM
How many times did he mention how ironic that he was Canadian last night?
If you don't like this Canadian, I am pretty certain that Canada's answer to Bill Cosby is still available for hosting duties.  Jian Ghomeshi would probably be happy to have a job in the public spotlight again (when he isn't busy choking women out, that is...)

Mizak

Quote from: Nebraska888 on December 14, 2014, 06:52:17 PM
I listened to the entire program last night.  The plant lady, Magda, was a little strange......and Dr. Cottrell when into trances and answered questions as he claims to be a modern Edgar Casey.  Allllrrriggghhhhtttyyyyyy then.........

All in all, the program was somewhat entertaining......I don't mind Syrett......ANYONE BUT NOORY AND GARR.  He is bright and asks good questions.....no matter how whacky his guests are.

The Prophet that charges 550 bucks an Hour...

expat

Quote from: wotr1 on December 15, 2014, 02:47:58 AM
Jian Ghomeshi would probably be happy to have a job in the public spotlight again (when he isn't busy choking women out, that is...)

I heard his show, "Q" a few times. Actually he's a damn good radio personality. Shame about the sex thing.

I've never listened to Ghomeshi myself and looked him up on youtube. There was an interview with Billy Bob Thornton and Ghomeshi just totally went down in flames.

http://youtu.be/IJWS6qyy7bw

b_dubb

Quote from: expat on December 15, 2014, 09:07:59 AM
Shame about the sex thing.
Mandatory epitaph for a number of politicians and actors

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on December 15, 2014, 09:32:38 AMI've never listened to Ghomeshi myself and looked him up on youtube. There was an interview with Billy Bob Thornton and Ghomeshi just totally went down in flames.
The radio guy is annoying in that he sounds very "canned" and not very genuine.  Maybe Billy Bob was in a funk because he realized "oh shit" I'm going to have to listen to this asshole for an hour.  Or maybe he'd just been given some really horrible news and was trying to process.  Or maybe he's just an insufferable jerk.  Thoughts?

Bonus points to anyone who can pick out Unknown Hinson. The genius behind Early Cuyler of Squidbillies fame.

Quote from: b_dubb on December 15, 2014, 09:38:29 AM

Bonus points to anyone who can pick out Unknown Hinson. The genius behind Early Cuyler of Squidbillies fame.

Is he the guy in the red shirt?

b_dubb

DING DING DING We have a winner!

Also Billy Bob is a nutter.  Full on nutter.  Notice how the rest of the band is in full on cringe mode.

Quote from: Nebraska888 on December 14, 2014, 06:52:17 PM

I feel the same way.. AS far as the plant lady, I think all of us including Syrett agree.. even he made a little bit of a joke about it on his Sunday show.
I can deal with Syrett. At first he reminded me of NPR.. Now he reminds me a little of Ian.. I can take him. As a matter of fact, I like him.. he grew on me.. Am I wrong here? Please check me before I wreck me..

WildCard

Quote from: HorrorReporter on December 15, 2014, 02:18:44 PMI can deal with Syrett. At first he reminded me of NPR.. Now he reminds me a little of Ian.. I can take him. As a matter of fact, I like him.. he grew on me.. Am I wrong here? Please check me before I wreck me..

HaHa! I still haven't listened to this weekend but that's my hit. He's a little too low-key but better that than Brother Church's Traveling Salvation Show.

Quote from: WildCard on December 15, 2014, 02:33:33 PM

HaHa! I still haven't listened to this weekend but that's my hit. He's a little too low-key but better that than Brother Church's Traveling Salvation Show.

A to the men.

DanTSX

If you don't like this Canadian, I am pretty certain that Canada's answer to Bill Cosby is still available for hosting duties.  Jian Ghomeshi would probably be happy to have a job in the public spotlight again (when he isn't busy choking women out, that is...)

Yeah we are starting to hear more about him down here.

I'm pretty hip to Canadian popular culture from spending so much time in TO, but he was unknown down here.  The fact that he is picking up steam over his issues is not good.  But I would never put him at the level of Cosby sans the rape allegations.

He never came off as a creep to me, just a control freak

yumyumtree

Syrett does not wear well, for a number of reasons.  I thought that the plant lady was painful, textbook bad radio.

WOTR

Quote from: DanTSX on December 15, 2014, 07:15:57 PM

I'm pretty hip to Canadian popular culture from spending so much time in TO, but he was unknown down here.  The fact that he is picking up steam over his issues is not good.  But I would never put him at the level of Cosby sans the rape allegations.

He never came off as a creep to me, just a control freak
I suppose he is not really a "Bill Cosby", but the statement was supposed to be read with a wink and a nod that he was the "Canadian" version.  (I don't know what that should mean... a little more sanitized, a little less shocking?  I don't know exactly how one would define "Canadian" in this case...)

Overall, I would listen to him when he came on and the radio was tuned to the CBC.  There is no way to compare him to Noory as he was competent and engaged (can you imagine how quickly the line would get "static" on it if Noory were interviewing Thorton?).  The replacements that I have heard for him have also been alright.

He did strike me as an over polished creep- somebody trying too hard to show the world that he was laid back and "cool."  I used to wonder if I was being unfair- but then the allegations came.

Uncle Duke

Got around to listening to Syrett's Sunday night show with Canadian UFO researcher/disclosure advocate Victor Viggiani.  Yet another goofball making ufology a laughing stock.  His leftist politics and delusional conspiracy bent aside, it's truly frightening the man was an educator and school principal for some thirty years. 

He told the story of talking to one of his elementary school students, a kid with an established behavioral/disciplinary history who arrived late to school one morning looking particularly out-of-sorts and very tired.  He brought the little scamp into his office to ask if he was OK, only to have the kid tell him something like "the little (grey) monsters (with big eyes) came back" through a closed window in an orange light.  Rather than pursue the issue as the trained child counselor he claimed to be, he sent the kid on his way because he figured there would be professional repercussions for him if he addressed what he was sure was a case of alien abduction.  Why?  Because there is no way an 8 year old would know anything about the alien abduction phenomena, and he couldn't have made anything like that up.  No, seriously.

Now assuming they have TVs and movie theaters in Canada, clearly the kid could have seen any number of TV series, documentaries, and/or films about the topic.  He might also have heard about the phenomena on the local, weekly radio show his principal (the guest) did at the time on the subject of.....UFOs and alien abductions!

Yet another "Oliver Wendell Douglas moment" listening to a UFO researcher on paranormal radio.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on December 16, 2014, 06:20:44 PM
it's truly frightening the man was an educator and school principal for some thirty years. 

He told the story of talking to one of his elementary school students, a kid with an established behavioral/disciplinary history who arrived late to school one morning looking particularly out-of-sorts and very tired.  He brought the little scamp into his office to ask if he was OK, only to have the kid tell him something like "the little (grey) monsters (with big eyes) came back" through a closed window in an orange light.  Rather than pursue the issue as the trained child counselor he claimed to be, he sent the kid on his way because he figured there would be professional repercussions for him if he addressed what he was sure was a case of alien abduction.  Why?  Because there is no way an 8 year old would know anything about the alien abduction phenomena, and he couldn't have made anything like that up.  No, seriously.

I was struck by that also. I know that those were "different times" and things might be ignored as a "family matter" by people- being a principal and child counselor (or something like that) and hearing the young child's story, the fact that he was "out-of-sorts" and tired, and came from a family with alcohol abuse and divorce (I forget the details) that the guy just dismissed his claims and worried about "professional implications" for him.

All he needed to do was tell the social worker, the police, or even just talk to the family that he had concerns. Or even relate what the child said and say he was alarmed by a young child having such dreams. He didn't need to admit he himself believed that "little green monsters" had got him. But just to ignore what is likely some kind of physical or emotional problem? And then a moment later he sort of dismissed the incident saying something like "the child left" and "got taken into services" etc. Oh well, never the mind. Problem solved. :o

paladin1991

Is it a sex thing?

paladin1991

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on December 15, 2014, 09:32:38 AM
I've never listened to Ghomeshi myself and looked him up on youtube. There was an interview with Billy Bob Thornton and Ghomeshi just totally went down in flames.

http://youtu.be/IJWS6qyy7bw
Uh huh.  Suckage.  Something I'm afraid that we folks are well acquainted with when listening to C2C.