• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Richard Syrett

Started by muddel, July 28, 2009, 01:15:33 PM

BattyBrooke

From the posts regarding lastnight's show, I'm not too upset about falling asleep an hour in. At least that first hour was good!

albrecht

Has anyone heard his show? Apparently he has his own show in Canada but I'm far from there and it always goes to iTunes when I click on his show archive podcast page (and I'm not Apple user.) Curious about it. He seems so NPR-voice to me. But curious how he is on his own show (and also how Canadian law vis-a-vis "free speech" effects the conspiracy theories.) The thing I can't quite get over on C2C is his mild, NPR-voice. Sleepy time. I don't like jarring hair-band metal riffs at breaks, like some shows, or the faked excited voice as sports-radio hosts seem to be determined to use-  but also the calm, milquetoast voice just puts me to sleep- even when it is an interesting guest.
-edit- I figured out how to get the podcast, via another link. So I will see later after FB games over.

Quote from: albrecht on September 13, 2014, 02:41:10 PM
Has anyone heard his show? Apparently he has his own show in Canada but I'm far from there and it always goes to iTunes when I click on his show archive podcast page (and I'm not Apple user.) Curious about it. He seems so NPR-voice to me. But curious how he is on his own show (and also how Canadian law vis-a-vis "free speech" effects the conspiracy theories.) The thing I can't quite get over on C2C is his mild, NPR-voice. Sleepy time. I don't like jarring hair-band metal riffs at breaks, like some shows, or the faked excited voice as sports-radio hosts seem to be determined to use-  but also the calm, milquetoast voice just puts me to sleep- even when it is an interesting guest.
-edit- I figured out how to get the podcast, via another link. So I will see later after FB games over.

I'm in Canada, but about 2200 miles from Toronto so never heard of him apart from C2C.  Anyway, I haven't been very interested in looking his program up.

albrecht

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on September 13, 2014, 03:52:39 PM
I'm in Canada, but about 2200 miles from Toronto so never heard of him apart from C2C.  Anyway, I haven't been very interested in looking his program up.
Yeah, I was just curious if he was as NPR-like and also curious about how Canadian audiences, or laws, impact (if at all) a "conspiracy" radio show.
-GNS

michio

Quote from: Beyond Bleef on September 13, 2014, 06:59:31 AM
The one good thing I can say about Syrett is that he doesn't seem to be on the George Noory, M.D. anti-vaccine bandwagon.

I don't remember exactly what Syrett had said on one of his C2C shows, but I'm of the opposite viewpoint on his opinions about vaccines. To be blunt, he strikes me as a Canadian version of Wells. If you give him a few more shows and time I'm pretty sure he'd come around and remove all doubt.

http://www.richardsyrett.com/hot-news-items

These articles of vaccine myths and misinformation are linked on his website (see link above):
--"The Five Phases of Awakening to the Dangers of Vaccines." Don't forget to read the few but telling comments below the article.
http://www.wakingtimes.com/2014/03/24/5-phases-awakening-dangers-vaccination/

--"3 Vaccines That Should Be Banned And Never Administered To Any Child"
http://healthydebates.com/3-vaccines-banned-never-administered-child/

Scully

Quote from: michio on September 14, 2014, 12:32:32 AM
... To be blunt, he strikes me as a Canadian version of Wells. If you give him a few more shows and time I'm pretty sure he'd come around and remove all doubt. ...

This is what I also "hear" happening.  Since his first  innocuous C2C show quite a while back, I've noticed Syrett progress to more of the Noory (wolf in sheep's clothing)/Wells (total maniac) types.

You can bet Noory is coaching him along.

WOTR

I just searched this thread and found that I have 2 posts saying that a Syrett hosted show was "not too bad" and 2 posts where I could not take it anymore and turned the radio off.  As such, I will reserve judgement.  (50/50 is better odds than our regular host...)

With that said, I decided to look up Android security "fixes" and information on stingray towers tonight rather than tune in.  There really is only one host left that I make a point of listening to.

I find it disappointing to find another Coast host who will likely host shows of medical quackery.  The first show I hear where he presents medical information and cures "they" don't want you to know will be the last for him...

Nebraska888

Syrett's program was just fine.......I enjoyed it!   ;)

WOTR

Quote from: Nebraska888 on September 15, 2014, 10:06:25 PM
Syrett's program was just fine.......I enjoyed it!   ;)
I could not sit through it.  It was not even just the content... syrett was trying WAY too hard to be Robert Stack from unsolved mysteries.  It was cool in the 80's and early 90's.  Stack could pull off the lines...  Syrett just sounds like a jackass trying far too hard to be mysterious, probing and unbiased.  I like him even less after watching his "television" show...
Robert Stack-Unsolved Mysteries

***Edit: I just looked Stack up and did not realize that he did unsolved mysteries until his death... He was still acting in film and doing the show in his 80's.  I hope this gives Jorch something to inspire him.  2 more Decades...

zeebo

Kinda disappointed Syrett gave that great story about the "Lightning Sonata" but didn't play an excerpt from it.  I'll try and seek it out anyway.

Syrett's a great guy and everything, but somehow I can't sit through five minutes of him even though I can endure four hours of Noory.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on September 27, 2014, 09:43:57 PM
Syrett's a great guy and everything, but somehow I can't sit through five minutes of him even though I can endure four hours of Noory.
Its Syrett's whiny "NPR voice".  Dumb as GN may be, he has a decent voice for late night radio.

zeebo

Quote from: VtaGeezer on September 27, 2014, 09:48:03 PM
... Dumb as GN may be, he has a decent voice for late night radio.

Yes as long as he's not trying to form words with it.

Eddie Coyle

Syrett has that John Stossel whine, really lacks the delivery to be an effective host,IMO.

expat

That Dan Riskin guy was excellent. Weird animal behavior is a great topic. For those who missed it, the male of a certain species of spider is in danger of being eaten by the female after fucking, so he rips off his genitals and leaves them in her, still pumping out cum, as he makes his getaway. Marvellous story.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: expat on September 28, 2014, 08:00:21 AM
That Dan Riskin guy was excellent. Weird animal behavior is a great topic. For those who missed it, the male of a certain species of spider is in danger of being eaten by the female after fucking, so he rips off his genitals and leaves them in her, still pumping out cum, as he makes his getaway. Marvellous story.

I have a mate who's ex wife did that to him as he made his getaway....See, we're not that different to the animals.  ;D

Nebraska888

I have no problem with Syrett........so much better than Noory! 

Edge

Just caught the Friday show. Man that show was brutal, terrible guest and the ALL of the callers were psychotic ramblers that he just let bullshit away. Ugh.

zeebo

Quote from: expat on September 28, 2014, 08:00:21 AM
That Dan Riskin guy was excellent. Weird animal behavior is a great topic. ...

I quite agree, best c2c show I've heard in recent memory.  Riskin was knowledgable, enthusiastic, and amusing.  Subject matter was rather interesting, if unsettling. 

Actually I thought Syrett had the best line of the night when he said if you get bit by a snake whose venom clots blood, better go out quick and get bit by one whose venom does the opposite. 

Quote from: zeebo on September 28, 2014, 02:56:00 PM
I quite agree, best c2c show I've heard in recent memory.  Riskin was knowledgable, enthusiastic, and amusing.  Subject matter was rather interesting, if unsettling. 

Actually I thought Syrett had the best line of the night when he said if you get bit by a snake whose venom clots blood, better go out quick and get bit by one whose venom does the opposite.

Syrett has been impressing me lately--he seems to be pretty articulate. Also his voice is getting a little less offensive to my senses. I almost crave his mild demeanor now.. I don't know why.
And also this, instead of 'schtrange open lines' or 'bizarre schtories lines' had had something inventive Friday night: Open lines asking for people who were struck by lightning to call him.

The animal guy was good.
I may listen to that a second time.

albrecht

The animal guy guest was awesome and Richard did a good job with him. But interesting, funny, disgusting, etc stuff. A great show. And true without needing embellishment by paranormal or the Discovery Channel-like crap about fake huge sharks, big foot, etc. Nature is amazing enough. (Don't get me wrong I don't mind a good paranormal or bigfoot show but not when presented as "science" on a channel that is supposed to be about science.) Great guest.

Gal in Black

Syrett is a Noory protege. Is that not obvious to you all by now???

No, thanks. No Syrett. Don't like him one bit. Give me Schrader any day. And of course, the old Knappster!

zeebo

Enjoying this show tonite.  Dr. Rick Strassman is a cool guest and Syrett's guiding the conversation nicely into interesting areas.

zeebo

Pretty smart callers tonite, but wtf who asks a 4-part question?

paladin1991

Quote from: zeebo on October 13, 2014, 02:07:01 AM
Pretty smart callers tonite, but wtf who asks a 4-part question?
Some jerk off trying to appear smarter than the guest and host.

zeebo

Great story from the tripster sax player who during a show in the 60's became the notes he was playing on stage.