• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Mr. Fidget

Started by KnyeGuy, July 24, 2009, 11:15:49 AM

onan

Quote from: albrecht on May 29, 2014, 05:50:58 PM
Pow! Right on the Diag-noses! Boom! Fidget in a straightjacket! Zap! From the electro-shock and thrown in a padded cell with no fidgets (could be a weapon.)

I know this was meant as humor. But straightjackets are illegal for more than 2 decades. ECT is, for the most part, rarely used. And padded cells... well I have worked in 5 psychiatric hospitals... never seen one.

McPhallus

Quote from: onan on May 30, 2014, 04:17:40 AM
I know this was meant as humor. But straightjackets are illegal for more than 2 decades. ECT is, for the most part, rarely used. And padded cells... well I have worked in 5 psychiatric hospitals... never seen one.

From what I've heard, ECT destroyed Ernest Hemingway.

area51drone

Has Fidget been banned?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: area51drone on May 30, 2014, 05:45:33 AM
Has Fidget been banned?

Either that or he did try to take one of his chain tabs with water three times a day.

area51drone

Oh, I see, he walked away.

albrecht

Yeah I was kidding though I know those things aren't really ha-ha funny. Was not aware straightjackets are illegal? I have seen chairs (both in our local jail and, oddly, in a storage room at an elementary school (!?!) that would seem worse. It is like a mobile wheelchair with straps where the patient/prisoner is restrained. A simple google news search will show you that there are currently padded rooms in some schools (again!?!) and I recall one lawsuit from an "autistic" child's family regarding their use (abuse) recently. Also, there are frequently protests outside one of our local Mental Health clinics by "activists" regarding Electroshock Therapy. It is still done (actually from what I've read works better, and maybe safer, for people who really need it than the Prozac and other drugs that are on par with placebo in some studies.)

MV/Liberace!

jeeze.  your workplace sounds boring.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: MV on May 30, 2014, 09:46:26 AM
jeeze.  your workplace sounds boring.

Yeah but imagine the gear he picked up for his hobby when it was sold off cheap.

paladin1991

Quote from: Mr. Fidget on May 29, 2014, 12:22:33 PM
   I'd like to make one thing clear.

I have NEVER in my life attacked another human being on offense. I have never been charged with an act of physical violence, let alone convicted.
   As a young man I attended an aikido dojo, and have the spirit of a "peaceful warrior."  In every instance of self defense in my life, the attacker's have had a variety of unexpected consequences, and one was hospitalized.
   I have never as much as taken a swing at anyone, no one need fear me causing physical harm.

Mr. Fidget
ps. Deep breaths, relax, be patient.
Deep breaths, relaxing, patiently considering Figits post. 

So.  Peaceful Warrior.  When you were assaulted by rent a cops you peacefully resisted by allowing them to jack you up?  Curious approach considering having hospitalized one in the series of assaults against you in your life.

paladin1991

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 29, 2014, 02:20:36 PM

Can we suffice with strap on dildos? I know it isn't the same, but you know how it is.
Not your fault for being the voice of reason.  Not your fault at all, Sir.  We have no idea how many fidgets are stuffed in the F-idgit. 
Safety first, I always say.

paladin1991

Quote from: The General on May 29, 2014, 03:33:53 PM
I'm just going to go out on a limb here and guess that there's no "Mrs. Fidget."
Sure there is, and she has 5 sisters!

paladin1991

Quote from: Jackstar on May 29, 2014, 03:49:26 PM
Schedule II. He might even have a scrip. Dude needs a scrip.

I think the telling point here is, I posted three pictures of dudes standing on huge crystals in caverns. And, nothing.

I posted one picture of speed, instantly he's all, "what what what? how DARE you??" It's textbook.
Schedule II my ass.  That's distribution weight.  The Sched II violation is an 'add charge.'

paladin1991

Quote from: McPhallus on May 29, 2014, 05:04:03 PM
if she's not already been dismembered and buried in a field somewhere.
Maybe he wears her as a skin suit.  "Was she a great big fat person?"

Jackstar

Perhaps you've seen lots of these:

onan

Quote from: albrecht on May 30, 2014, 09:08:45 AM
Yeah I was kidding though I know those things aren't really ha-ha funny. Was not aware straightjackets are illegal? I have seen chairs (both in our local jail and, oddly, in a storage room at an elementary school (!?!) that would seem worse. It is like a mobile wheelchair with straps where the patient/prisoner is restrained. A simple google news search will show you that there are currently padded rooms in some schools (again!?!) and I recall one lawsuit from an "autistic" child's family regarding their use (abuse) recently. Also, there are frequently protests outside one of our local Mental Health clinics by "activists" regarding Electroshock Therapy. It is still done (actually from what I've read works better, and maybe safer, for people who really need it than the Prozac and other drugs that are on par with placebo in some studies.)

I probably shouldn't have said illegal... I really don't know that for fact. I do know that hospital policy strictly forbids the use. After looking it up about half the states in the US have laws making the use of straightjackets illegal.

However 4 point restraint is still used, but it is only under the order of a doctor that it can be applied, and then only until the patient calms down, or falls asleep.

Personally, I think padded cells make sense for out of control behavior especially with children and adolescents and even more so with a child with autism. But due to propaganda films like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest restraint has become an evil intervention. And without proper training and professional staff it can be an evil intervention. That being said, a useful tool has been taken away for managing the explosively violent patients.

paladin1991

Quote from: bigchucka on May 29, 2014, 07:55:53 PM

Or this guy?

http://youtu.be/QV5v1gcra1s

Will the real Mr. Fidget please stand up?

On a side note, I got that video its 200th view...
ANNNNNd now it's gone.

paladin1991

What do they do?  Just Joy Juice them?

Jackstar

Quote from: onan on May 30, 2014, 12:25:47 PM
That being said, a useful tool has been taken away for managing the explosively violent patients.

onan

Quote from: paladin1991 on May 30, 2014, 12:28:25 PM
What do they do?  Just Joy Juice them?

Sometimes, but even that is being limited. The standard policy (thank you patient advocates and NAMI) is to let the patient act out unless they demonstrate an attempt to harm themselves or others. 

If a patient starts to rip out walls or ceilings... verbal de-escalation is the appropriate intervention. I have seen patients literall rip out ceilings, the electrical wiring, toss computers across the room and then calm down. All of this is being filmed. Staff are afraid to intervene because one incorrectly placed hand or hand placed at the wrong time and the staff can be fired or worse arrested for assault.

It is a very complicated problem, involving too few staff to too many patients. Too many patients that should realistically be in jail but stated they wanted to kill themselves while being transported to jail. Once those words are spoken, policy is to take the criminal to a psychiatric hospital for evaluation. Too many ivory tower policies with little or no experience in actual patient milieu. The list is too long to keep writing.

Jackstar

Quote from: onan on May 30, 2014, 12:42:30 PM
If a patient starts to rip out walls or ceilings... verbal de-escalation is the appropriate intervention. [...] patients that should realistically be in jail but stated they wanted to kill themselves while being transported to jail. Once those words are spoken, policy is to take the criminal to a psychiatric hospital for evaluation.

scribble scribble tattoo scribble

wr250

Quote from: onan on May 30, 2014, 12:42:30 PM
Sometimes, but even that is being limited. The standard policy (thank you patient advocates and NAMI) is to let the patient act out unless they demonstrate an attempt to harm themselves or others. 

If a patient starts to rip out walls or ceilings... verbal de-escalation is the appropriate intervention. I have seen patients literall rip out ceilings, the electrical wiring, toss computers across the room and then calm down. All of this is being filmed. Staff are afraid to intervene because one incorrectly placed hand or hand placed at the wrong time and the staff can be fired or worse arrested for assault.

ripping out wiring can result in electrocution, which can be seen as self harm. physical intervention is appropriate at this point.  either way you will be sued. its a legal loser for you.

onan

Quote from: wr250 on May 30, 2014, 12:55:15 PM
ripping out wiring can result in electrocution, which can be seen as self harm. physical intervention is appropriate at this point.  either way you will be sued. its a legal loser for you.

You are trying to use reason here. It is a fail strategy. I have seen people get into significant trouble for stopping those behaviors... yes, you are right it doesn't make sense.

albrecht

Quote from: onan on May 30, 2014, 12:58:37 PM
You are trying to use reason here. It is a fail strategy. I have seen people get into significant trouble for stopping those behaviors... yes, you are right it doesn't make sense.
Teachers are in the same situation. If they step in to stop a fight or stop a children from hurting themselves (or others) they get sanctioned. If not then criticized when someone gets hurt. So now people demand real cops in schools instead of addressing the problem that maybe "special needs" children maybe shouldn't be in regular public school classes and that criminal children shouldn't be in normal school.

eddie dean

Quote from: onan on May 30, 2014, 12:58:37 PM

I have the highest regard for those who work with people with mental illnesses. I don't know how you do it year after year.

onan

Quote from: Jackstar on May 30, 2014, 12:29:43 PM

I can't speak to every psychiatric hospital, but the ones I have worked at stopped using thorazine as an injectable years ago. It is still prescribed in pill form. I have 115 clients at the moment, none of them have a prescription for thorazine.

Jackstar

Quote from: onan on May 30, 2014, 02:22:59 PM
I have 115 clients at the moment, none of them have a prescription for thorazine.

Admit it: you wish you still had Thor's hypo.

onan

Quote from: Jackstar on May 30, 2014, 04:49:03 PM

Admit it: you wish you still had Thor's hypo.
Actually I am a fan of Zyprexa Relprevv for managing paranoid schizophrenia. And for most clients that present more with disorganization I like Invega Sustenna.

Jackstar

I totally accept your lack of denials. /salute

albrecht

Quote from: onan on May 30, 2014, 05:18:48 PM
Actually I am a fan of Zyprexa Relprevv for managing paranoid schizophrenia. And for most clients that present more with disorganization I like Invega Sustenna.
Haven't you listened to C2C?! Screw Big Pharma! Lots cheaper to use a modified ice-pick or get those ice-water dunking chairs out of storage.

Having said that I must admire the way "Big Pharma" comes up with the names for their meds. Sounds like a real word, almost associates with a real word/feeling, but it is a made-up word. Geniuses.

onan

Quote from: Jackstar on May 30, 2014, 05:24:37 PM
I totally accept your lack of denials. /salute

It is far from a perfect world. I knew a patient that died from a medication error and received too much thorazine. but I also know a patient that responds well to that drug. I wish a balanced diet with supplements would work.

If anyone wants to get on a soapbox and complain about big pharma... I won't stop you. I will think you're unqualified to opine, that never seemed to stop anyone though.