• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

X-Files, Lone Gunmen, & Whatever (Inspired by Frys Girl)

Started by Marc.Knight, July 11, 2009, 11:29:54 AM

Thank you for both tips, Onan!  I'm sure we'll give Fringe at least a brief look, but it looks like a sort of stale retread.  I was no fan of Millenium.  It struck me as waaaaay too dark when I watched the first few episodes.  Maybe it got better.  Then again, it didn't last all that long, did it?

Morgus

The last 2 seasons of Fringe were excellent scifi with travel to an alternate universe and time travel. :)

onan

Quote from: Morgus on August 06, 2013, 04:13:02 PM
The last 2 seasons of Fringe were excellent scifi with travel to an alternate universe and time travel. :)

I never got that far. The first season and into the second, the characters were uninteresting and poorly written. And the really idiotic attempt at genius/schizophrenia was laughable... I have seen shows significantly improve and become very worthwhile entertainment. Star Trek the Next Generation certainly meets that criterion.

Maybe Fringe in the latter seasons is worth a try.

Quote from: West of the Rockies on August 06, 2013, 03:43:14 PM
Thank you for both tips, Onan!  I'm sure we'll give Fringe at least a brief look, but it looks like a sort of stale retread.  I was no fan of Millenium.  It struck me as waaaaay too dark when I watched the first few episodes.  Maybe it got better.  Then again, it didn't last all that long, did it?

I'd definitely suggest giving Millennium another look.  You might have seen my comments about it earlier in this thread.  I absolutely loved that show - season 1 is especially brilliant, but there are gems throughout the three seasons.  The first few episodes were VERY dark, probably to draw in curious viewers.  Things do taper down quite a bit, and if you like X-Files, you might like seasons 2 onward.  I'm biased, of course, but I think Millennium had some of the best writers in television at the time, and because the show wasn't tied down by a "mytharc" like X-files (At least in season 1 and early 2), it gave these writers free reign, and boy did they deliver.

I'm trying to think of a later Millennium episode to recommend to you that's a stand alone story, without spoilers for the overarching plot, and may be appropriate for all ages, so that your daughter can watch as well...

Ah.. "Luminary".  Season 2, Episode 12.  Start there, and see if it piques your interest.  I bet it will.

Morgus

Quote from: onan on August 06, 2013, 04:45:53 PM
I never got that far. The first season and into the second, the characters were uninteresting and poorly written. And the really idiotic attempt at genius/schizophrenia was laughable... I have seen shows significantly improve and become very worthwhile entertainment. Star Trek the Next Generation certainly meets that criterion.

Maybe Fringe in the latter seasons is worth a try.
Yes Fringe improved dramatically when it started a arc with scifi elements starting in the 2nd season finale, and continued in the last 2 seasons.
Less "monster of the week" like X-Files had in its first couple seasons.

Juan

As far as Millenium, the 1999 episode Collateral Damage stars Art Bell.

Quote from: UFO Fill on August 07, 2013, 09:42:23 AM
As far as Millenium, the 1999 episode Collateral Damage stars Art Bell.

You are quite correct, sir.  I had completely forgotten about that episode.

Falkie2013

On my shelves are season by season books that detail and analyze every episode of the X Files.

My gf never watched the episodes when they were on and then she started borrowing some of my tapes and is now hooked.

She's been buying the seasons on DVD every couple of months and is going to try to get them all.

I watched all the shows when they were on first run and nothing since has held my attention like X Files did except for Married With Children and the various incarnations of Sherlock Holmes in the last few years. I couldn't take the Robert Downey Holmes though, loved Jeremy Brett and have a certain fondness for Elementary and watching episodes of NCIS that I've missed.

A lot of nights I don't even turn the tv on because there's little worth watching.

I don't have any on DVD yet, though I do have Dark Skies, Kolchak : The Night Stalker and The Invaders on DVD and that crappy remake they did in the 1990s along with episodes of various UFO & paranormal/ghost tapes that I get for 50 cents a piece at Rasputin, including Sightings.

I got a couple a while ago where David McCallum was the host and he was talking about the Pyramids and interviewing Zahi Awass.

There's a lot of stuff out there on tape that will probably never make it to DVD.

Oldest film I have other than silents is one with Humphrey Bogart made in 1934 called Call It Murder. He's only in it for 1 or 2 scenes and it's the earliest Bogart film I've ever found. I just saw its now out on DVD on Amazon for $ 19.95.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Spinner

I just stumbled across this thread.

The X-Files is my favorite TV show of all time. After it ended, I tried watching other TV shows, but there was no comparison. Soon, I was watching less and less TV, and then I stopped watching altogether. My TV was only used to watch videos of movies or X Files. Yes, I had recorded almost every episode on VHS tapes. Still, I bought all the tapes that were issued commercially, plus the boxed sets that came out later on. I also have a couple of boxes full of miscellaneous X-Files stuff such as trading cards, TV Guides and other magazines that featured X-Files-related covers.

As others have said, the first season of the show was a bit uneven, with mostly great episodes. In the second season, it becomes completely awesome! That was must-see TV. However, I was not too happy about the cast changes in last year. I loved the first movie "Fight The Future," but I thought that the second movie was disappointing.

Quote from: Spinner on October 19, 2013, 10:50:24 AM

The X-Files is my favorite TV show of all time. After it ended, I tried watching other TV shows, but there was no comparison. Soon, I was watching less and less TV, and then I stopped watching altogether. My TV was only used to watch videos of movies or X Files. Yes, I had recorded almost every episode on VHS tapes. Still, I bought all the tapes that were issued commercially, plus the boxed sets that came out later on. I also have a couple of boxes full of miscellaneous X-Files stuff such as trading cards, TV Guides and other magazines that featured X-Files-related covers.

As others have said, the first season of the show was a bit uneven, with mostly great episodes. In the second season, it becomes completely awesome! That was must-see TV. However, I was not too happy about the cast changes in last year. I loved the first movie "Fight The Future," but I thought that the second movie was disappointing.

I know exactly how you feel.

Have you heard? There is talk of a third film. All that has to be done is for Fox to green light the project. Everyone is onboard and wanting to do it.

Jnthn932

Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 19, 2013, 12:00:59 PM

Have you heard? There is talk of a third film. All that has to be done is for Fox to green light the project. Everyone is onboard and wanting to do it.
I sure hope this is true! I'm watching X-files on netflix as we speak. Starting from the pilot and going all the way through. You're right about tv shows not measuring up. Personally, I liked the 4400 but the assholes at USA cancelled the show midway through season 4 and left us all hanging. Walking dead obviously is good. Anyone watch revolution on nbc?

Quote from: Spinner on October 19, 2013, 10:50:24 AM

I have similar boxes of Twin Peaks stuff. I agree with you about X-Files regarding the last season and the second movie. I really hope that a third movie happens, and I hope they shoot it in Vancouver. They made some amazing art with that show.

Falkie2013

Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 19, 2013, 12:00:59 PM

Both the X Files and Dark Skies creeped me out.I watched ALL of Dark Skies in one sitting when I bought a bootleg copy of the series from Ebay and found it to be scary stuff. There are episodes of the X Files I've never been able to watch because they creeped me out too much or grossed me out too much, like the guy who had cancer and the family that lived like hillbillies ( I think there were multiple brothers in that one ). I can't get to my X Files books right now but I didn't see the show first run, I got to watch them on tape much later. I still need to buy Dark Skies on DVD. Its on my list of things to buy in the next 6 months along with seasons of the X Files.

Quote from: Falkie2013 on October 24, 2013, 01:43:12 AM
Both the X Files and Dark Skies creeped me out.I watched ALL of Dark Skies in one sitting when I bought a bootleg copy of the series from Ebay and found it to be scary stuff. There are episodes of the X Files I've never been able to watch because they creeped me out too much or grossed me out too much, like the guy who had cancer and the family that lived like hillbillies ( I think there were multiple brothers in that one ). I can't get to my X Files books right now but I didn't see the show first run, I got to watch them on tape much later. I still need to buy Dark Skies on DVD. Its on my list of things to buy in the next 6 months along with seasons of the X Files.

''Home''

It was extraordinarily disturbing, and if my memory serves me correctly, the FIRST  time a network ran a warning for graphic and disturbing material before a TV series episode. Written by Morgan and Wong (the best writers X-Files ever employed), it was a true masterpiece which stands the test of time.

Conversely, if you need a little humor to clense the psyche, I recommend ''Bad Blood'' (ep.12, 5th season), writtin by Vince Gilligan, who would go on to create ''Breaking Bad''.

steelbot

I really liked the one with Trebek and Ventura - Men in Black - and the body switch episode(s) with Mulder/(the guy from This is Spinal Tap)

Quote from: steelbot on October 24, 2013, 09:17:11 AM
I really liked the one with Trebek and Ventura - Men in Black - and the body switch episode(s) with Mulder/(the guy from This is Spinal Tap)

"Jose Chung`s From Outer Space"

One of my favorites. Third season, 20th ep., Written by Darin Morgan (Glenn Morgan`s brother). Jesse Ventura was fantastic, but Charles Nelson Reilly absolutely stole the show, IMHO.  A classic!

Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 24, 2013, 09:28:59 AM

"Jose Chung`s From Outer Space"

One of my favorites. Third season, 20th ep., Written by Darin Morgan (Glenn Morgan`s brother). Jesse Ventura was fantastic, but Charles Nelson Reilly absolutely stole the show, IMHO.  A classic!

I remember watching this episode when it aired. The book "From Outer Space" looked just like Whitley Strieber's "Communion"

There's a behind-the-scenes feature on this episode at 2:10 into the video below:

http://youtu.be/PmcS5sjjbCo?t=2m11s

Quote from: guildnavigator on October 24, 2013, 09:40:58 AM
I remember watching this episode when it aired. The book "From Outer Space" looked just like Whitley Strieber's "Communion"

There's a behind-the-scenes feature on this episode at 2:10 into the video below:

http://youtu.be/PmcS5sjjbCo?t=2m11s

I don't think there's any question that Carter ripped stories from the events of the 90' s and fabricated  entertaining TV shows around them. With the screen  chemistry, writing, and location of X-Files, CC could hardly go wrong.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 24, 2013, 10:27:39 AM

I don't think there's any question that Carter ripped stories from the events of the 90' s and fabricated  entertaining TV shows around them. With the screen  chemistry, writing, and location of X-Files, CC could hardly go wrong.

Agreed. Did you ever play the X-Files card game?

Quote from: guildnavigator on October 24, 2013, 10:29:48 AM
Agreed. Did you ever play the X-Files card game?

I never did. I have collected some memorabilia from the show, including autograph pictures, posters, scripts, props, etc., but haven`t seen the card game.

Juan

I had never seen Twin Peaks, as I was working at night then.  I've been watching on Amazon Prime, and have found the episodes quite interesting.  There's a rumor the series will be back.

MrMajestik

X-files and Twin Peaks are two of the trio of classic modern television that all intelligent viewers should watch imho.
   American Gothic being the third.

I just got the three seasons of Millennium on DVD off of Amazon. Really great so far.

toastycoasty

Quote from: FightTheFuture on November 06, 2013, 09:44:22 AM
Just a little treat for my fellow xphiles:

GRAVITY OF LOVE X-Files Music Video [Best Concept] ConnectiCon 2009

I've just got the huge x files box set (with movies too!) for 1/4 of the RRP so I can't wait to get stuck in. Gillian and David have also made some awesome con appearances that are up on YouTube as well as a really sweet Reddit AMA so I'm stoked