• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Celebrity Deaths

Started by noodlehead.crucified.c2c, June 25, 2009, 05:28:29 PM

albrecht

RIP Johnny Winter. Though I really didn't think he would last that long with his various issues and substance problems over the years. Saw him a few times in Texas and last time I saw him was in 2003 in Prague. Even though outdoor festival there on "Shooters Island" was very low lighting and no flash cameras allowed. He pretty much stayed seated but really, really rocked the house. Even met some Brazilians who traveled there just to see him. He was awesome. RIP.

Late 1960's I went to Palm Beach Rock Festival, Johnny and Edgar Winter's played  for an hour or so then Janice Joplin came on for an hour or so. Then there was a 20-30 minute pause and They all came out together for about an hour and a half.

ItsOver

Thankfully, Buddy's still rocking.  77 years young and still doing concerts.  None better.

paladin1991

I keep opening this thread to be disappointed each time.  No mention EVER of Jorch's career death.  No retro posting?

Just wanted to let all the Johnny Winter fans know there's going to be a three-hour tribute to him Saturday night/Sunday morning on Adventures in Plasticland (motto - "Playing elevator music for elevated minds") on CKWR FM.  There will be lots of rare live recordings and some bootleg stuff.  I've been listening to the show for a long time, and it never disappoints.  The host, Spaceman Stan, has a huge personal collection of all kinds of musical treasures and plays a lot of tracks you almost certainly won't hear anywhere else.  The show goes from midnight to three, Eastern Time and you can listen to it on the interwebs by going here - http://www.ckwr.com.

albrecht

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 18, 2014, 10:38:25 AM
Just wanted to let all the Johnny Winter fans know there's going to be a three-hour tribute to him Saturday night/Sunday morning on Adventures in Plasticland (motto - "Playing elevator music for elevated minds") on CKWR FM.  There will be lots of rare live recordings and some bootleg stuff.  I've been listening to the show for a long time, and it never disappoints.  The host, Spaceman Stan, has a huge personal collection of all kinds of musical treasures and plays a lot of tracks you almost certainly won't hear anywhere else.  The show goes from midnight to three, Eastern Time and you can listen to it on the interwebs by going here - http://www.ckwr.com.
Thank you!

Quote from: albrecht on July 19, 2014, 09:03:38 AM
Thank you!

You're welcome!  It's on in about fifteen minutes.  It's a beeyooteeful summer night, and I'm in the backyard with a little fire and a finely adjusted attitude where I plan to spend three hours with Johnny.

BTW, if you like sixties and seventies rock obscurities, he has an extensive personal library and plays just about every flavor.  He's also very  open to requests and enjoys hearing from listeners.  And he has fun doing it.  Enjoy!

basswood

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 20, 2014, 05:55:55 AM

Yep. $200* a day plus expenses!

*Or was it a $1000?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28390309

Yeah, $200 plus expenses sounds like the right figure. Best role he played in my opinion, nudging out his Hendley the Scrounger in the Great Escape.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: basswood on July 20, 2014, 07:24:32 AM
Yeah, $200 plus expenses sounds like the right figure. Best role he played in my opinion, nudging out his Hendley the Scrounger in the Great Escape.

I thought Maverick was good too.

Eddie Coyle

"Rockford" would have been on cable if made these days. It was much edgier and smarter than practically any crime/drama series of the era. Any often very funny. I still watch it on ME-TV. They'll probably have some tribute soon enough.

onan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 20, 2014, 08:56:15 AM
   "Rockford" would have been on cable if made these days. It was much edgier and smarter than practically any crime/drama series of the era. Any often very funny. I still watch it on ME-TV. They'll probably have some tribute soon enough.

The episode where he goes to New Jersey... hilarious.

Best show, best theme song ever back when shows had actual music themes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg1Cx26-928

Jim Garner was also funny as hell in Victor/Victoria, but Rockford was special. And yeah, Maverick.

I know he was up in years, but this still makes me sad for the loss.

McPhallus

Quote from: basswood on July 20, 2014, 05:16:24 AM
RIP+ Jim.

Well, this sucks.  I remember those Rockford reunion movies they made back in the 90s.  Not quite as good as the old series, but he still had it.

ItsOver

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 20, 2014, 08:56:15 AM

Oh no, not Jimmy.  Coincidentally (in your face, Jorch),"Rockford" is on Me-TV today. I always try to break-in sometime during Me's Sunday "Cannon," "Rockford," "Kojak" fest, right before "Columbo," which I almost always catch.

You're right, Eddie, they'll do a proper tribute, unlike the shameful crap Jorch does.  By the way, GNS.

ItsOver

Some Jimmy trivia, courtesy of Me TV.

"James Garner explained in an interview that Jim Rockford's license plate number, 853-OKG, was created by his agent at the start of the show and stands for August, 1953, when Garner got his first acting job, and OKG which stands for Oklahoma Garner, his home state."

I'd forgotten "The Rockford Files" are on Me TV during the week, 12:00 EST, as well as Sunday at 7:00 pm. 

R.I.P., Jimmy.

Jim was a real good guy in person. When I was with a race team in the late 60's at Sebring. Garner had made a movie "Grand Prix" and had got the race bug but as a sponsor for two Corvettes that year. He came over to our encampment  during the week prior to the race as we had a Mini-Moke with a full race cooper engine and he was crazy about minis. He wanted to drive our Moke and he went with me to town as I needed to go grocery shopping for my team I drove in and let him drive back. He came over at night and played cards with us. He was no 'Hollywood' guy and was a real good guy and much like he was as he played in his movies and TV shows, Just a good guy. Steve McQueen was there that year and drove a Porsche to 2nd overall. McQueen was too focused on his ride, not very friendly. plus he ran with his right leg in a cast as he had broke it making "the Great Escape" which Garner was also in.If they had handicapped the race McQueen should have had 1st.  2nd with a right leg cast was good.

Tarbaby

Oh shit. This is sad. Love the Rockford files. I grew to love to hate Angel Martin, the little weasel. And Joe Santos, Jim's contact in the police department.

Garner had been plagued with me and joint agony most of his life. RIP, Jim.

Quote from: ItsOver on July 20, 2014, 10:21:39 AM
Some Jimmy trivia, courtesy of Me TV.

"James Garner explained in an interview that Jim Rockford's license plate number, 853-OKG, was created by his agent at the start of the show and stands for August, 1953, when Garner got his first acting job, and OKG which stands for Oklahoma Garner, his home state."

I'd forgotten "The Rockford Files" are on Me TV during the week, 12:00 EST, as well as Sunday at 7:00 pm. 

R.I.P., Jimmy.

Interesting!  He's always been one of my favorites.  Love Rockford, and Maverick, which was way ahead of its time.  I'm surprised MeTV doesn't show it with all the other old westerns.  Any idea if there's a rights issue, because it's been many years since I've seen it anywhere?

RIP and thanks for all the great entertainment!

RcCle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KflON-W3ADM

James Garner and Jack Lemmon.  Still one of the funniest movies out there!

b_dubb

Jim Garner was one of the great ones.  Goodbye Jim.

Garner did all of his own stunt driving.

Morgus

The main character (Troy Tempest) on the 1960s super-marionation TV series "Stingray" was modeled after James Garner...

WildCard

Margot Adler
(born April 16, 1946 - died July 28, 2014)
was an American author, journalist, lecturer, Wiccan priestess and radio journalist and New York correspondent for National Public Radio (NPR).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margot_Adler

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/07/28/336081618/margot-adler-an-npr-journalist-for-three-decades-dies

“The first time I called myself a 'Witch' was the most magical moment of my life.”
-Margot Adler

See ya in the Summerlands, Sister.[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: WildCard on July 28, 2014, 04:37:50 PM
Margot Adler
(born April 16, 1946 - died July 28, 2014)
was an American author, journalist, lecturer, Wiccan priestess and radio journalist and New York correspondent for National Public Radio (NPR).

Some would say she's burning in hell right now, but because of the NPR gig, not the wiccan stuff.

WildCard

Quote from: MV on July 28, 2014, 04:41:11 PM
Some would say she's burning in hell right now, but because of the NPR gig, not the wiccan stuff.
haha. Fuck those people. Wherever they go, send me to the opposite place.

Take Me Down Where The Pagans Go

Quote from: Morgus on July 20, 2014, 03:45:48 PM

The main character (Troy Tempest) on the 1960s super-marionation TV series "Stingray" was modeled after James Garner...

Never heard of that show...  Was it a poor man's Thunderbirds?

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 28, 2014, 05:19:50 PM
Never heard of that show...  Was it a poor man's Thunderbirds?

More like Days of Our Lives under the sea.
During the course of the series, Stingray encounters a number of undersea races, both friendly and hostile. The Aquaphibians, an aquatic warrior race, appear regularlyâ€"usually under the command of King Titan (modelled on Laurence Olivier), who is the tyrannical ruler of the underwater city of Titanica. In the pilot episode, Stingray is attacked by Titan's forces and Troy and Phones are captured. They are rescued by Titan's slave girl, Marina (modelled on Brigitte Bardot),[citation needed] a mute young woman who can breathe underwater. Troy immediately becomes infatuated with Marina, causing Atlanta to become jealous. Titan, meanwhile, swears revenge for Marina's betrayal. Marina becomes a regular member of Stingray's crew, and later acquires a pet seal pup named Oink, who appears in a number of episodes.