• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Skype 4.0 Sucks. Downgrade to 3.8 in here.

Started by MV/Liberace!, June 17, 2009, 09:34:18 PM

MV/Liberace!

The implied purpose behind a software upgrade is to make things better.  The people at Skype FAILED MISERABLY in this task which was their charge when version 4.0 was released.  It's atrocious.  Just take a look here at the list of complaints about v4.0 on SKYPE'S WEBSITE!!!:
http://share.skype.com/sites/en/2009/02/skype_40_its_all_yours.html

4.0 is without equivocation the most profoundly, mind numbingly horrid piece of cat shit i've ever encountered, and in almost every measurable way.

Thank GOD Ebay bought Skype.  As you can see, it's working out wonderfully.

My recommendation?  Wait for the Skype developers to get their heads out of their asses, stop with the condescending replies to their understandably upset customers, and bring back the 3.8 interface and functionality thereof. 

For those who would like to DITCH this turd sandwich in favor of the previous version which worked wonderfully in almost every way, click here:
http://filehippo.com/download_skype/4911/

I hope someone from Skype sees this, but I don't guess it matters much because they're completely silent about this catastrophe ON THEIR OWN WEBSITE despite the 100+ negative comments, one after the other.

Frys Girl

I read a few of them quickly. Why do people complain about wall papers. I hate people who complain about wall papers. I think the connectivity and technical issues are much more important than "I can't put up Jessica Simpson's knockers up anymore. Why did you change it?"

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Frys Girl on June 17, 2009, 09:39:06 PM
Why do people complain about wall papers. I hate people who complain about wall papers. I think the connectivity and technical issues are much more important than "I can't put up Jessica Simpson's knockers up!"
i knooooow... i thought the same thing.  i wish people wouldn't complain about shit like that, because it taints the overall flavor of the VALID complaints which are lodged.  it gives the developers an "out" to say shit like, "well, it's just people complaining about colors and wallpapers and whatnot."  i don't want them to be able to hang their hat of indifference on something like that.

Frys Girl

I don't know. I don't blame the developers when the users are so blinded by wall paper issues that they forget the entire point of Skype to begin with. People like this suck and should have bags of dicks dump on their heads.

slipstream

I used Skype 4.0 for all of about 4 hours before I downgraded.  The UI is not intuitive at all.  However, what drove me over the edge was their removing of Skype Me mode.  I sometimes like to receive calls and chats from random people.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: slipstream on June 19, 2009, 11:27:16 AM
I sometimes like to receive calls and chats from random people.
heh, you know, i'd never thought about the possibilities with this.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: slipstream on December 10, 2010, 09:09:43 AM
UPDATE:  Skype version 5 sucks even more.
i guess i've just become acclimated to the suck since this issue was first raised here months ago.  one thing i WOULD recommend is that you open skype, click view>compact view.  that will get it a bit closer to the classic feel/look.

what is it you are bothered by in v5?

b_dubb

Skype was unloaded by eBay.  not sure who owns it now.  or if i care

they had it right a couple versions ago.  developers can't help but mess with something.  otherwise they might get laid off

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: b_dubb on December 13, 2010, 11:19:15 PM
Skype was unloaded by eBay.  not sure who owns it now.  or if i care

they had it right a couple versions ago.  developers can't help but mess with something.  otherwise they might get laid off
and now that they've integrated this multi-contact video chat feature, you have to pay if you want the video chat to work with more than one contact simultaneously.  isn't it enough that i pay these people about $50 per month so my wife can call people on their cell phones in morocco?  i mean... jesus!

slipstream

What I really don't like is Skype's decision to remove the ability to find random people to chat/talk with. 

James G.

I have Skype 4.2.1 running on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine with the FREETALK Everyman headset, but I admit I haven't used it -- other than test calls. Because I don't know anyone else I talk to that uses it! It's amazing that, considering the advance in VOIP these days, Coast To Coast AM seems to be the only major talk-radio program using a Skype line.

I have the "free plan" in which I can only call those on Skype. I could be wrong, but I remember reading some online scuttlebutt about the entire Skype thing going to a pay-only service in the near future. From what I recall, Skype is powered by AT&T, and the company wants the revenue for using its support and resources to run it.

onan

forgive the ignorance but why do I need skype?

James G.

Quote from: onan on March 27, 2011, 08:26:14 PM

forgive the ignorance but why do I need skype?

I will answer that question with an agreement. It's only an accessory "if needed." It was something I added because others do use it, and some prefer that as a method of contact or "over-the-phone" interviews for contract work. I've not used it for that yet, but again I could if requested. And have it set up, adjusted and in place already.

Again, I've never used it for anything other than testing. So far. But it's here and working if I need it. That's all. I must say that its audio quality is some high-definition though, with the right headset. I figure you can just use it to call into Coast-To-Coast AM when you want to sound like you're either 50-feet tall, or perhaps God himself.

And, lastly, I like to "geek around" with software anyway. At least I may not use Skype, but I know what it is and how it works.

b_dubb

skype let's you call other skype users for free.  and if you need to call someone on a land line / cell phone ... you can do so for pennies