• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Iran election prediction

Started by Frys Girl, June 11, 2009, 10:27:17 AM

Frys Girl

Also Nboy, if you think I'm sadistic and like to see Iranians oppressed, you're wrong.

Historically, EVERY single damned time Iranians have "rose up" they have been exploited and taken back even further. The most important thing is to have a stable Iran. Whenever the people "rise up" for freedom, they did this in 79 like morons, to dethrone another moron, the shah, a bunch of bloodsuckers exploited them. Same in 1906, same in 1953.

Iran is an oil rich nation. It is cursed. Please don't interpret my view on this matter as an endorsement for the Islamic Republic, but rather an endorsement for stability.

You know the moustached guy on Fox News? Alireza Jafarzadeh? He is a Mujahedeen PR rep. Please google MKO or "People's Mujahedeen of Iran" PMOI. They are a cult. They have the ears of many in washington. They are on the terrorist list by the state department. Know why? They bombed the US embassy in the 70s and killed an American.

The other one they bring on is Reza Pahlavi, an overweight, unemployed prince, who loves freedom full time and under a treaty with America following the revolution, will collect $40 million dollars in frozen assets. That is, he has failed to produce a revolution, and this is his chance to seize on these people in Iran in order to obtain those funds.

IRANIANS ARE THEIR OWN WORST ENEMIES. Nothing will change overnight.
Please don't be fooled so easily.

Frys Girl

The national religion of Iran is actually football, not Islam. Culturally, Iranians have a hybrid culture - a blend of Persian/Zoroastrian/Mithra roots plus respect for the prophet. They are moderate Muslims on the whole.

There is extreme fondness for secular cultural assets like poetry and literature. The Koran isn't even the top selling book in Iran. Poetry is the top literary form in Iran. People quote it constantly. The book of Hafez (a wine afficianado and romatic) is in every house, I'd venture to guess.

Iran will change, but just as it took long with the Magna Carta, it will take a long time for Iran too.

Most Iranians are not rich and have satellite TVs. Most of them work hard, come home and spend time with family. The people who you see in the street have likely travelled to Europe and America, or have relatives there.

This divide is hard on the internal relations, no doubt. The gap between rich and poor has to be filled. But I am a firm believer in the power of change when sanctions are lifted. Once people have an economic means, they will demand different candidates and politics.

It doesn't happen overnight, I tell you.

Frys Girl

Another movie you should check out is Turtles Can Fly. It is by an Iranian director, about the orphans of the parents Saddam murdered in Halabja and Dujail. It is about the Kurdish region on the days leading up to the American invasion and it shows how happy the Kurds were to hear that Saddam was about to meet his maker.

Here's a link to watch the entire movie. By the way, the director of this movie is the boyfriend of the Japanese/Iranian chick who was jailed in Iran recently. Guess who pressed for her release? Mahmoud I'm a dinner jacket himself.

Turtles can fly

Nboy

Quote from: Frys Girl on June 15, 2009, 09:50:33 AM
Also Nboy, if you think I'm sadistic and like to see Iranians oppressed, you're wrong.

Historically, EVERY single damned time Iranians have "rose up" they have been exploited and taken back even further. The most important thing is to have a stable Iran. Whenever the people "rise up" for freedom, they did this in 79 like morons, to dethrone another moron, the shah, a bunch of bloodsuckers exploited them. Same in 1906, same in 1953.

Iran is an oil rich nation. It is cursed. Please don't interpret my view on this matter as an endorsement for the Islamic Republic, but rather an endorsement for stability.

IRANIANS ARE THEIR OWN WORST ENEMIES. Nothing will change overnight.
Please don't be fooled so easily.

Oh, I never thought you were sadistic. I understood from the beginning of this post that you were preaching for stability, and in all honesty I agree with you...now, after looking at a few things.

We are of the same mind on the previous revolutions, I just didn't feel that it was really my place to point to past failures, not knowing your historical involvement in any of them. It is hard to see past media representations sometimes and it is an American tradition  to root for an underdog. Its easy to get picked up into the spirit of rebellion, especially one which one's self identifies with.

I still don't like the idea of people getting smacked around/tortured for demonstrating, but concessions must be made I suppose. What is going to happen is going to happen, and I can't do a damned thing about any of it. Change rarely does happen overnight. I totally agree.

I really don't know anything about the current politics of Iran at the moment. I stopped paying attention to all politics about 2 years ago out of pure cynicism. Just sort of leaving it to the Fates. However, I appreciate your information, and view point, and am now looking at things a little differently. I am sort of looking at this whole thing now, like I looked at the whole Obama thing. Just sort of freaked out by the whole affair and not understanding it. SO after my involvement in this, I am going back to the sidelines and watching like I normally do.

Oh, and thanks for the nod to my avatar and filling me in on a bit of Iranian culture. 

Quote from: Nboy on June 15, 2009, 09:18:54 AM
There is no such thing in this day and time. Its a 'global' world now and everything that happens there has global implications. Granted, I don't think that any country should be rushing the charge to 'help out' at this point, but to pretend this doesn't have global implications is short sighted. No, I don't want Obama to open his mouth at this point. But, neither do I want him to remain silent if the situation worsens.

If you want to believe it's "a global world", then you have every right to.  But it isn't a global world, yet.  I hope it never becomes one.  It's not even completely a global world economically, although it's the closest thing to a global system.  Ideologically, culturally, philosophically, the socio-political world is no where near a global entity.  Hell, not even the US is a unified country ideologically.  Why should things anywhere around the world have "global implications"? Just because we have internet, and can see current events and the like more readily?  Come on now.  That's like the teenager just barely starting to see what the adult knows, and thinking he/she knows everything about life.  Or does it have global implications just because  many people are paying attention to it?  Do Spencer and Heidi have global implications?

I wouldn't take too much stock in what you see and hear on the news about the election (or anything else for that matter).  First of all, we aren't there, and we are not from there, so we don't know shit and shouldn't be making judgments.  To react to images is only human, but to base complete personal ideas and philosophies on those reactions is pretty provincial.  This is their thing, and I think Fry's Gore/Bush example is the perfect one.  What election decision had more "global implications" than that one?  Should the world have stepped in and righted the slap in the face that election gave to democracy?  Secondly, the US plays all kinds of media and public image games with other countries.  In the Caribbean, hospitality based countries are threatened yearly with being blacklisted by being put on "unsafe to travel/travel warning" lists and being reported on unfavorably in the media, in order to gain compliance with various policies and UN votes.  Everything you see in the media is shown to you in the way that those who allow it to be shown to you, want it to be shown to you.

Frys Girl

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on June 15, 2009, 10:29:09 AM
If you want to believe it's "a global world", then you have every right to.  But it isn't a global world, yet.  I hope it never becomes one.  It's not even completely a global world economically, although it's the closest thing to a global system.  Ideologically, culturally, philosophically, the socio-political world is no where near a global entity.  Hell, not even the US is a unified country ideologically.  Why should things anywhere around the world have "global implications"? Just because we have internet, and can see current events and the like more readily?  Come on now.  That's like the teenager just barely starting to see what the adult knows, and thinking he/she knows everything about life.  Or does it have global implications just because  many people are paying attention to it?  Do Spencer and Heidi have global implications?

I wouldn't take too much stock in what you see and hear on the news about the election (or anything else for that matter).  First of all, we aren't there, and we are not from there, so we don't know shit and shouldn't be making judgments.  To react to images is only human, but to base complete personal ideas and philosophies on those reactions is pretty provincial.  This is their thing, and I think Fry's Gore/Bush example is the perfect one.  What election decision had more "global implications" than that one?  Should the world have stepped in and righted the slap in the face that election gave to democracy?  Secondly, the US plays all kinds of media and public image games with other countries.  In the Caribbean, hospitality based countries are threatened yearly with being blacklisted by being put on "unsafe to travel/travel warning" lists and being reported on unfavorably in the media, in order to gain compliance with various policies and UN votes.  Everything you see in the media is shown to you in the way that those who allow it to be shown to you, want it to be shown to you.
I love you! You get it.

I also love politico's headline. "Ahmadinejad won. Get over it."

Do you think Jamaica Kincaid was ordered to be banned from going to her native country because of the essay she wrote criticizing the tourist industry in the Caribbean?

Nboy

Thanks for the movie, FG, very enjoyable.

Frys Girl

Quote from: Nboy on June 15, 2009, 01:08:54 PM
Thanks for the movie, FG, very enjoyable.
You're welcome!

I think what Tehran needs right now is a nice 3-4 days of torrential rain storms.

nika01

Quote from: Frys Girl on June 15, 2009, 07:23:22 AM

Please don't type bull shit. .

Right back at you Fry's Girl.

I am hoping the moderator cancels this thread, its getting ridiculous. Just because you know people there doesn't make you an expert that cant be questioned.  I think your opinions are sincere, but they are yours. You expect people to disregard any news media and believe you.

This thread doesn't have jack to do with why this site is here.

Frys Girl

Quote from: nika01 on June 15, 2009, 04:41:30 PM
Right back at you Fry's Girl.

I am hoping the moderator cancels this thread, its getting ridiculous. Just because you know people there doesn't make you an expert that cant be questioned.  I think your opinions are sincere, but they are yours. You expect people to disregard any news media and believe you.

This thread doesn't have jack to do with why this site is here.
This thread started out as my prediction. Why should it be deleted? Because you disagree? This is the general section. Start one about how fantastic this movement is if you want. Or cite your disagreement here. What is this site if it's not about opinion?

What are you talking about? I asked you not to type bull shit and I was specific about which part of your post constituted BS - the part about children having the shit beaten out of them.

Go gaga for the media. I could care less. But let me ask you this, do you think the media isn't biased? Do you think it's not convenient what is happening? The media is failing to survive, and along comes an election in the mid east with disgruntled people. CHA-CHING!

Anyway, it's not the first time the media cling to an Iran story then abuse it. Won't be the last :) Ted Koppell got a permanent show - NIGHTLINE - because of the 79 hostage standoff. They thrive on chaos in Iran.

Did you see what Nboy stated about globalization? What's funny to me is Matt Drudge has this Iran stuff posted next to links about David Letterman apologizing for a joke on his tv show. Next to a story about Susan Boyle. This is a joke!

Did you bother reading the Time article about who Mousavi runs around with? How much he made $$ on Iran contra while the men of the nation were fighting their assess off for security and their families?

So yea, it is personal, in terms of who I voted for. Just as you or most people wouldn't vote for someone who trashed your family's contribution.

The majority of the people behind Mousavi did not serve in the military, they are being exploited and that's their choice. If you disagree, thats fine, but I hope you can cite why and not just because some dildo comes on cable news and says this is amazingggggg! Please google some info about Rafsanjani, the other guy behind this movement. He makes Ahmadinejad look like a choir boy.

EvB

QuoteI am hoping the moderator cancels this thread

Just as an FYI to anyone interested:

Threads don't get deleted because people disagree.
    Threads get archived after no one posts for a while (you can still read 'em)
    Individual posts get edited, or, when there is no alternative, deleted for violating the TOS (hard to do)
    Posts get moved when, in a mod's wisdom, they seem to belong in another thread but you will see a notice to that effect so you can find the post.
That's about it.

Rock on.

Frys Girl

The best thing to come out of this mess: Twitter is under firing for scheduling a maintenance session! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Twitter, how dare you get in between the masses and their tweets? Twitter, you will have blood on your hands!

Quote from: Frys Girl on June 15, 2009, 12:08:41 PM
I love you! You get it.

I also love politico's headline. "Ahmadinejad won. Get over it."

Do you think Jamaica Kincaid was ordered to be banned from going to her native country because of the essay she wrote criticizing the tourist industry in the Caribbean?

Many people in the Caribbean, especially in Antigua, think she's just a sour bitch.  Also, she is looked at as a sell-out who dissed her roots, only to use it in her writing for personal gain.  She is generally not respected.  Not because of a lack of any talent in writing, but because she's a hoity toity that tries to claim (severed) hoi polloi roots.  I can understand her frustrations at going back to Antigua after 20 years,  feeling like she should be hot shit like back in her home, the USA, and being no more elevated then the white vacationers she bashes in her book A Small Place.  I'm sure the travel industry bashing had something to do with it, but more then likely a big part was talking about govt. corruption.  The fact is that while she may be a big deal up here, she's a nobody down there.  Well not a nobody, but has no real standing of any mention in the Caribbean community.

Nboy

I share the same hope that we never see a one world government type thing, but that wasn't what I was referring to at all. And yes, you are correct. All ideologies, politics, etc have not merged. But to pretend that everything at this point is not so interconnected at this point is well, just silly. You state that economics are the closest thing we have to a global system, and while it is not 100%, its pretty damn close. If one country goes up shit creek, everyone else connected to that country economically is going to face some sort of repercussions. America has a recession and China starts laying people off. Economics may be the closest thing to a global system we have, but thats the foundation on which a large portion of socio-political decisions. I mean more decisions which involve EVERYONE on this plant are based purely on economics, more so than ideology ever will.

So why does it have anything have global implications? Take your Caribbean example. Sure it looks like its one country and the UN bullying one minor country. But don't you think there are repercussions involved in that which are not readily apparent? I mean that's going to effect tourism as a whole, meaning people are going to be going elsewhere effecting that's country economy AND the other places absorbing the new tourism. The strain on the economy is going to be effecting the decisions which both the government of the country make and the people itself. It could cause a destabilization. It could cause mass migration. It could cause alot of things. its beyond our power to foresee the possibilities until they happen, human beings just aren't that smart. I mean, everything that country will do will effect how it deals with other countries, and its neighbors and/or allies. Which in turn effects everything thing else. Maybe I am being somewhat schizophrenic or paranoid in my perception or belief that everything effects everything else. I' ll give you that.

As for Spencer and Heidi, I cant speak for them. But I can say Western media does have global implications. I am not an expert, but what I do know is that representations of the west DRASTICALLY effect how the world sees us, and HOW the world expects us to act. I know its is not uncommon to meet anyone from developing nations that expect Americans to all be thin and blonde and live in big houses. The only area that I do have any sort of specialty in whatsoever is sexuality and the body. And to that I can say that there are heaps of research done on how representations of the body within the western media have completely fucked up cultural expectations elsewhere. So the effect Spencer and Heidi have on the the cultural world as a whole I cant say anything. However, as a whole you and I both know that the western media totally fucks everything up elsewhere. Honestly, I don't think they are big enough for anyone to give a shit. Paris Hilton, however, has probably fucked up alot of people's perceptions.

I dont think anyone on this forum takes anything the media says without some sort of cynical bent. Granted, I was taken in by images of rebellion but it wasn't just based on a couple of stories I heard on NPR or the AP. What swayed me was the videos recorded on cellphones, on the blog entries and the twitter feeds coming from people there. I am sort of a sucker for a rebellion and admit I took their side based on the perception that they were rebelling against an oppressive government. I know full well there are a myriad of sides in this, which is why I have returned to the side lines. Frys Girl perspective is somewhat more valid than mine, and I have taken that to heart. I am not taking a side, not admitting whose right or wrong. What I am admitting is that history has proven that stability is probably better at this point for Iran. I don't know all the ins and outs of the situation  and returning to the sidelines to watch. I honestly don't have enough of an education on the history/politics of the region to fully understand the consequences of whats going on, therefore I am bowing out of the argument. I identified with that rebellion mostly because it appeared to me to be the exact sort of thing that SHOULD have happened here. I did not support Gore or Bush, but ,really, the American people should of had the balls to fucking do something if they thought they were being slighted. But then again, the American system isn't purely democratic. Its a republic indirectly controlled by a representative democracy. People forget that, and most often don't know the difference. I would prefer something of a pure democracy but then again, the American system was not designed to be ruled by a  lone majority, which inevitably would happen.  As for the world doing something about it, I cannot speak. But, that was pre 911. I honestly don't know how anyone or any nation would react to the same thing today. I didn't call for anyone to stick their nose in Iran's business, yet if things get bad, and the fervor gets a little too crazy, then yeah I expect someone to say something. But they probably wont. They didn't in Rawanda or Bosnia. And I don't see anyone doing shit about Darfour or Tibet. But, I agree with Frys Girl on the point that the country has its laws AND they should be followed. Noone has a right to just walk in and say FUCK YOU, we are doing this our way now. Change has to come from the people, not an outside source. And again, shes right. It does not happen overnight. One election isn't going to change anything.

But there are situations where it isn't so easy as to say, well its their law we have to do it their way. Say when the people simply aren't powerful enough to face the opposition. I mean does Tibet have ANY real chance against China? No, they don't. Not that I want a war with China. That would be godawful for everyone. But what are we suppose to do? What can be done? I don't have a fucking clue.

Frys Girl

AMAZING! 7 deaths for Mousavi = 7 deaths for Saddam.

Now, you just wait and watch what chaos is guys. The Baluch separatists are going to come out of the wooworkd - they are very close to the neo-cons and executed several bombings in the past few years.

Next you have Rafsanjani, who always dreamed of being Supreme Leader, and since the Bush admin ignored his letters for support (wait for Obama, fatty), he is now seeing the opportunity for relations with Iran and he's dreaming of himself in charge. What I'm freaked out about is this: I wanted to share a video with you of Rafsanjani's interview with Mike Wallace. It is bone chilling. Youtube has scrubbed it.

Rafsanjani cannot travel to Europe. He will be arrested because he is wanted for murder for 15 years now. An American blessing will help him regain his mobility in the world.

Fuck all of this. Fuck it all.

There was a post here where MV once wrote "I hate local citizen interviews. They all suck". This is true of what's happening in Iran. People say so much bullshit and everyone just says "yes!" On iranian satellite TV, they are collecting DONATIONS and everyone is giving ideas for who the next prime minister should be. Everyone's name is in lights, in their imagination.

Nboy

Not to add fuel to the fire, but this does sort of start looking like a grand over arching scheme to destabilize the middle east. I mean, if Iran gets taken out of the picture due to infighting, that sort of leaves Saudi Arabia as the powerhouse over there doesn't it? And Pakistan seems to have their own shit to deal with at the moment.

Frys Girl

Quote from: Nboy on June 16, 2009, 05:21:46 AM
Not to add fuel to the fire, but this does sort of start looking like a grand over arching scheme to destabilize the middle east. I mean, if Iran gets taken out of the picture due to infighting, that sort of leaves Saudi Arabia as the powerhouse over there doesn't it? And Pakistan seems to have their own shit to deal with at the moment.
I hate the regime in Iran, but I believed more that it would evolve. It was. Not the way you can see clearly, but society was changing drastically. Interest in IT and liberal arts have grown. What Mousavi and Rafsanjani are doing is dangerous. They are taking the positive changes and using them in their favor.

The Saudis masturbate to scenes like what you see in Iran. The shah sucked balls, but again, Iranians never count on the outsiders who exploit weakness. They are building a nuclear program too, did you know that? Yes, the home of 9-11 terrorists is building nukes. They laughed at Iran when the shah left. He, shah, was a pussy anyway. I love America, but I would have loved to live and grow up in my home country more. because of him and his poor leadership, we left. My parents couldn't tolerate. Iran in the 80s was VERY different than what you see now. Guess who made Iran shitty in the 80s - MOUSAVI. The same asshole who is causing Iran to break again.

The Saudis also supported Iraq when they invaded Iran.

MV also had a quote on his radio show that applies to Iranians. It was the George Carlin quote about "emergencies in my town" or "far away". They love drama. We do. Someone farts in town and the phones light up.

A couple years ago, I was living in Iran. Long story. I wanted to start a family and settle down. It's a very family oriented place, and it's perfect for this. Anyway, I couldn't handle it. I had a breakdown and came crying back to my dad's embrace. Do you know what it's like there? You wake up, the phone rings, it's your sister/aunt/mom with news or "news" this goes on until about noon. People love to inflate and gossip any small event. I realized that the solution wasn't running to Iran. I just have washington, DC. I am making much rational plans this time, to move to a quieter city, where people aren't as annoying.

Politics is NO different. I said it before. Iran is cursed.

I know next to jack about the middle east. My opinion has always been that the whole region could disappear tomorrow and I wouldn't mind. Just leave the oil, please. =]

Frys Girl

Quote from: nika01 on June 14, 2009, 09:06:24 PM
To support the other guy that made a post here.... I was glad Bush was re-elected. Funny how Obama is doing pretty much exactly what Bush did, except for the part where he travels around the world telling everyone how bad the US is. Funny too how the evil news media twists it all up so poor fools like me cant figure it out. Damn I wish I was smarter and able to think for myself.

I am really done with this thread now.
I also voted for Bush, but the stupid war in Iraq helped a candidate like Ahmadinejad immensely. Iranians were waiting for Bush to drop bombs on them next. As much as I hate Kerry, his election would have helped prevent the Ahmadinejad problem.

Stop over simplifying. You do that in other threads too, I noticed. Then you ask for a thread to be shut down? If you don't think what the US has done in Iran doesn't have to do with what is happening there now, then you're being dense. Enjoy it.

Frys Girl

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on June 16, 2009, 07:45:25 AM
I know next to jack about the middle east. My opinion has always been that the whole region could disappear tomorrow and I wouldn't mind. Just leave the oil, please. =]
Of course! Spoken like a true American consumer. How would we get around to our Targets and Sam's clubs to buy Hanna Montana season 78? Oil please! MORE damn it. And free. Why do "they" even charge?

Quote from: Frys Girl on June 16, 2009, 08:22:28 AM
Of course! Spoken like a true American consumer. How would we get around to our Targets and Sam's clubs to buy Hanna Montana season 78? Oil please! MORE damn it. And free. Why do "they" even charge?

Or, more appropriately:

"Just give us dat dinosaur juice so I can get to da 50 cent concert, dawg."

Quote from: Nboy on June 16, 2009, 05:06:07 AM
I share the same hope that we never see a one world government type thing, but that wasn't what I was referring to at all. And yes, you are correct. All ideologies, politics, etc have not merged. But to pretend that everything .............

........ I mean does Tibet have ANY real chance against China? No, they don't. Not that I want a war with China. That would be godawful for everyone. But what are we suppose to do? What can be done? I don't have a fucking clue.

I wasn't trying to make it personal, I was just making sure we ALL did not start making judgment calls with our heads up our asses.

Economically right now things are globally tied, but only as far as currency (and maybe land/real estate) go(es).  It's the only universal denominator.  There is, and will always be, too much regional bias for the systems of the world to become truly global, at least for the next thousand years (barring an alien attack).

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on June 16, 2009, 08:54:53 AM
Or, more appropriately:

"Just give us dat dinosaur juice so I can get to da 50 cent concert, dawg."

It's NOT dinosaur juice!  The earth makes it's own oil. SHEESH.  Haven't you heard.  I hears it on C2C, so it must true.

Nboy

Hey Phan, have you read The End of History and The Last man by Francis Fukuyama? You may be interested in that, its kinda philosophy heavy but I expect you have something of a working knowledge of the field. Its sort of a Hegelian love fest but it still has its points. http://www.amazon.com/End-History-Last-Man/dp/0380720027 The second half of the book is far more interesting than the first.

Quote from: Nboy on June 16, 2009, 11:31:51 PM
Hey Phan, have you read The End of History and The Last man by Francis Fukuyama? You may be interested in that, its kinda philosophy heavy but I expect you have something of a working knowledge of the field. Its sort of a Hegelian love fest but it still has its points. http://www.amazon.com/End-History-Last-Man/dp/0380720027 The second half of the book is far more interesting than the first.

I'll see if the have them in the school library first, and then I'll check the collection of a Prof. I'm close with.

Frys Girl

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on June 16, 2009, 09:07:38 PM
I wasn't trying to make it personal, I was just making sure we ALL did not start making judgment calls with our heads up our asses.

Economically right now things are globally tied, but only as far as currency (and maybe land/real estate) go(es).  It's the only universal denominator.  There is, and will always be, too much regional bias for the systems of the world to become truly global, at least for the next thousand years (barring an alien attack).

It's NOT dinosaur juice!  The earth makes it's own oil. SHEESH.  Haven't you heard.  I hears it on C2C, so it must true.
"Water powered cars from St. Louis."

Frys Girl

You know the people MV described in his rant about people who use upward inflections? That is how I feel about these protesters. Just as MV would have seen it as a victory when they get chopped up and fed to the pandas, I will laugh when the supreme leader unleashes hell on these justin timberlake wannabes.

Now the Americans have a new fashionable cause - the poor Iranian students. The way the left is portraying this is making me want to run right, as stupid as the R comments have been about Iran thus far.

Ron Paul is the only one with a brain who didn't vote for that stupid House Resolution to support Iran.