• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Sardine Fest

Started by ItsOver, August 10, 2022, 10:01:20 AM

The best sardinhas in the world are in season right now in Portugal. 

albrecht

I approve of the SardineFest location. Any hotel owned by a Patel has a built-in seal of approval, the name you know, the reputation you trust.

ps: I also approve of Portuguese sardines but sad to see the country becoming so popular for tourists and fleeing Americans. You can buy grilled up delicious sardines grilled up on their doorstep cheap and so good!

ItsOver

Quote from: Radio Activity on August 10, 2022, 10:07:24 AMThe best sardinhas in the world are in season right now in Portugal.

True enough. My favorites come from there. Those look mighty tasty.

With Lee's connections, maybe he can get us a good deal on a charter flight.

Can we get Hamm's over there?

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on August 10, 2022, 10:14:21 AMTrue enough. My favorites come from there. Those look mighty tasty.

With Lee's connections, maybe he can get us a good deal on charter flight.

Can we get Hamm's over there?
We will have to import Hamm's. But I recall you can buy some sunblock there that is banned in the USA for some reason. Probably because it works or due to some arcane territorial dispute trade-war.

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on August 10, 2022, 10:16:26 AMWe will have to import Hamm's. But I recall you can buy some sunblock there that is banned in the USA for some reason. Probably because it works or due to some arcane territorial dispute trade-war.

I suppose their customs would frown on smuggling in a few cases. I'll have to settle for some Portuguese wine. What goes best with sardines?

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on August 10, 2022, 10:22:40 AMI suppose their customs would frown on smuggling in a few cases. I'll have to settle for some Portuguese wine. What goes best with sardines?
Vino verde or some kind of white wine. I will stick with smuggled Hamm's. I plan to get it through customs by telling the local police it is only cocaine coke.

https://www.dw.com/en/criminal-gangs-smuggle-sodas-into-portugal-to-avoid-sugar-tax/a-59549572

Quote from: albrecht on August 10, 2022, 10:14:07 AMI approve of the SardineFest location. Any hotel owned by a Patel has a built-in seal of approval, the name you know, the reputation you trust.

ps: I also approve of Portuguese sardines but sad to see the country becoming so popular for tourists and fleeing Americans. You can buy grilled up delicious sardines grilled up on their doorstep cheap and so good!

North Americans don't even make the top ten list of expats moving to Portugal, but I do hear American accents more and more often. 

Sagres and Super Bock are both fine beers. By fine I mean just OK. 

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on August 10, 2022, 10:29:29 AMVino verde or some kind of white wine. I will stick with smuggled Hamm's. I plan to get it through customs by telling the local police it is only cocaine coke.

https://www.dw.com/en/criminal-gangs-smuggle-sodas-into-portugal-to-avoid-sugar-tax/a-59549572

I'll just tell customs then my Hamm's is some canned cannabis oil.  It's not like we're going to Russia or something.

https://www.insideedition.com/brittney-griner-sentenced-to-9-years-in-russian-penal-colony-for-bringing-cannabis-oil-into-country

ItsOver

Quote from: Radio Activity on August 11, 2022, 07:10:52 AMNorth Americans don't even make the top ten list of expats moving to Portugal, but I do hear American accents more and more often.

Sagres and Super Bock are both fine beers. By fine I mean just OK.

Just OK? We demand cheap excellence! After all, we're hated 'mericans. ;) Don't forget to bring your big cowboy hat, Albrecht.

Beer is definitely cheap here. 99 cents/litre. 

ItsOver

Quote from: Radio Activity on August 11, 2022, 08:49:00 AMBeer is definitely cheap here. 99 cents/litre. 
That should keep K_Dubb happy. :)

K_Dubb

Quote from: ItsOver on August 11, 2022, 10:18:16 AMThat should keep K_Dubb happy. :)
Yes, and the fleshpots of Gran Canaria are only a short flight away!

K_Dubb

I wrote a polka for Sardine Fest, it could use some work tho

Sardine Fest Polka

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on August 11, 2022, 07:50:59 AMI'll just tell customs then my Hamm's is some canned cannabis oil.  It's not like we're going to Russia or something.

https://www.insideedition.com/brittney-griner-sentenced-to-9-years-in-russian-penal-colony-for-bringing-cannabis-oil-into-country
I can't believe the news is so focused on her. I had never even heard of her until her drug incident. And we are, apparently, going to 'trade' the infamous and shadowy arms dealer Viktor Bout for her? Tax-payers on many continents spend a lot of money both with him and/or going after him not to mention the deaths and destabilized regions but most in African or other marginal countries so doesn't really 'count' in our ledger. I'm hoping Nic Cage and reprise his role and Mike O can play Griner in the new straight-to-video movie.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 11, 2022, 10:41:36 AMI wrote a polka for Sardine Fest, it could use some work tho

Sardine Fest Polka
I think we got a theme-song, with some more work and lyrics. Sounds like we are all agreed. Portugal it is. Seems to have ease of smuggling, illegal sunblock, close enough to other regions for 'don't as don't tell' antics for some without risking Moneypox at the SardineFest, cheap beer, and a native tradition of sardinefests- so us Americans can show them how it is really done and disrepect their traditions in the grand manner of Americans and English tourists and expats everywhere! I, for one, plan to speak EXTRA LOUDLY if someone doesn't understand English.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 11, 2022, 10:41:36 AMI wrote a polka for Sardine Fest, it could use some work tho

Sardine Fest Polka
Strike up the music the band has begun
The Bellgab Sardinefest Polka

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on August 11, 2022, 03:05:40 PMStrike up the music the band has begun
The Bellgab Sardinefest Polka
Working on some House Members to reinsert an old Welk Proviso into the bloated tax and spend Biden deal. Hiding that the polka and sardine budgetary item will be spent in Portugal but have experts pointing out Portugal has liberal drug laws and so maybe the "Big Guy" supports to help his son get away there, to sober up etc.

Asuka Langley

Quote from: albrecht on August 11, 2022, 11:14:11 AMwe are, apparently, going to 'trade' the infamous and shadowy arms dealer Viktor Bout for her

Based, maybe he can hook a nigga up with a Vityaz and an SVD

great trade!

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on August 11, 2022, 03:44:03 PMWorking on some House Members to reinsert an old Welk Proviso into the bloated tax and spend Biden deal. Hiding that the polka and sardine budgetary item will be spent in Portugal but have experts pointing out Portugal has liberal drug laws and so maybe the "Big Guy" supports to help his son get away there, to sober up etc.

Heh, heh, heh... now you're thinking. The "Save the Sardines" line item.

Quote from: albrecht on August 11, 2022, 03:44:03 PMWorking on some House Members to reinsert an old Welk Proviso into the bloated tax and spend Biden deal. Hiding that the polka and sardine budgetary item will be spent in Portugal but have experts pointing out Portugal has liberal drug laws and so maybe the "Big Guy" supports to help his son get away there, to sober up etc.

It's true that possession of recreational drugs was decriminalized in Portugal many years ago, but buying and selling is still very illegal and will definitely get you in trouble. There are many "dealers" operating in the tourist areas but they all sell fake goods. You will not find real drugs on the street unless you know someone.

CBD shops sell flowers but with very low THC content. It is also possible to get a prescription for cannabis from your doctor and have it filled at any farmácia. ;)

GravitySucks

Quote from: Radio Activity on August 12, 2022, 04:13:49 AMIt's true that possession of recreational drugs was decriminalized in Portugal many years ago, but buying and selling is still very illegal and will definitely get you in trouble. There are many "dealers" operating in the tourist areas but they all sell fake goods. You will not find real drugs on the street unless you know someone.

CBD shops sell flowers but with very low THC content. It is also possible to get a prescription for cannabis from your doctor and have it filled at any farmácia. ;)

I'm in Thailand. In June they legalized Cannabis. Not many shops open yet but people are able to grow their own. The Thailand government gave away a million plants in June. 
https://www.deseret.com/u-s-world/2022/5/16/23077117/thailand-free-cannabis-plants-household-crops-decriminalizing-marijuana

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: GravitySucks on August 12, 2022, 05:00:17 AMI'm in Thailand. In June they legalized Cannabis. Not many shops open yet but people are able to grow their own. The Thailand government gave away a million plants in June.
https://www.deseret.com/u-s-world/2022/5/16/23077117/thailand-free-cannabis-plants-household-crops-decriminalizing-marijuana
IMHO, some of the best weed in the world.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on August 12, 2022, 05:00:17 AMI'm in Thailand. In June they legalized Cannabis. Not many shops open yet but people are able to grow their own. The Thailand government gave away a million plants in June.
Say hi to Art from us! Invite him to the SardineFest and encourage him to rejoin the board he loved/hated.

ItsOver

"...It's true that possession of recreational drugs was decriminalized in Portugal many years ago, but buying and selling is still very illegal and will definitely get you in trouble. There are many "dealers" operating in the tourist areas but they all sell fake goods. You will not find real drugs on the street unless you know someone..."

Sounds like we need to take Jackstar with us.

K_Dubb

I have taken advantage of some optimum recording conditions (my neighbor mowing his lawn) to record a new version of the Bellgab Sardinefest Polka, in which (for want of melodic inspiration) the discerning listener may discover several learned references to the Gem of the Ocean as well as our Portuguese host nation.

https://vocaroo.com/12r26ytmJm9S

ItsOver

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 13, 2022, 08:56:19 PMI have taken advantage of some optimum recording conditions (my neighbor mowing his lawn) to record a new version of the Bellgab Sardinefest Polka, in which (for want of melodic inspiration) the discerning listener may discover several learned references to the Gem of the Ocean as well as our Portuguese host nation.

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 13, 2022, 08:56:19 PMI have taken advantage of some optimum recording conditions (my neighbor mowing his lawn) to record a new version of the Bellgab Sardinefest Polka, in which (for want of melodic inspiration) the discerning listener may discover several learned references to the Gem of the Ocean as well as our Portuguese host nation.

We have a wiener.

albrecht

It works for me, as Hunter might say. Good job!

K_Dubb

Thanks that lawn mower cracks me up every time he hauls out that farting old thing haha

albrecht

Not for green reasons but I gave up on my lawnmower of death (dubbed so because I cannibalized two mowers to make run and disabled all safeties so blades would run without the safeties required by govt edicts and would run so loud and nasty burning oil so inhalations were, likely, dangerous.) So I went green n got an old-school mower for the house yard which isn't so large. Brand new for $15 by a guy who got it to 'help him exercise but gave up on that on being too hard.'

Actually works great and added benefit it has that top cut (versus side cuts) like the pros use on ballfields and golf courses. And quiet so I can mow anytime I want and hear bizarre things like the guest on C2C last night who discovered a replication/archeological find of the Spokane airport under the sea of Baja! But the runways were even larger! Unfortunately Olivia from Austin doesn't have access to a computer with pictures and so she "misses out on a lot."