• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Corruption

Started by WOTR, February 02, 2021, 03:07:32 AM

WOTR

I thought I would do a quick topic as a place to dump some reminders of the new corruption. Probably somebody should have done this for Trump (and certainly for Obama.) But it has passed. And hey, feel free to add the corruption of the Republicans as well. This is not meant to be a damning of only the left. Both sides are corrupt.

The idea is that Google seems to very quickly bury links to important stories. It really is like 1984 in that regards. Already, any mention of the corruption of Pine Island has fallen in the rankings. I often find that in a few months, I am no longer able to locate mention of what I remember. So, here will be some links to remind me that I am not insane. It really did happen...

The Biden presidency, of course kicked off with the Pine Island Capital Partners 200 million IPO that will those who are partners. Anthony Blinken, (current secretary of state) and General Lloyd Austin (defense secretary). And their IPO literally said that they have access to information that will allow them to profit. "“Pine Island Capital Partners spends the majority of its time focused in the aerospace, defense and government services sectors, where Pine Island Capital Partners believes it has extensive connections to industry leaders, unusual access to information..."

Anyhow, for fun, we are going to do a link from the far left https://jacobinmag.com/2020/11/biden-administration-access-sirota-flournoy-austin-pine-island-capital-partners
And one from the right. https://conventionofstates.com/news/nyt-biden-s-admin-plagued-by-corruption-abuse-self-dealing

WOTR

I know there were a number between then and now. Maybe I'll try to recall some. But now we have Nancy Pelosi purchasing a million in Tesela stock options, then have Biden promise to buy electric vesicles. Gee- the stick has risen like 25% since her purchase. Nice work if you don't mind being completely corrupt of all morals. I'm sure she just did it for "the little guy."

Whatever. Just a quick link. https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nancy-pelosi-buys-tesla-calls-191017279.html

*To be completely fair- it was her husband who bought the stock options. I'm sure he did it without talking to his wife first.

whoozit

Quote from: WOTR on February 02, 2021, 03:21:39 AM
I know there were a number between then and now. Maybe I'll try to recall some. But now we have Nancy Pelosi purchasing a million in Tesela stock options, then have Biden promise to buy electric vesicles. Gee- the stick has risen like 25% since her purchase. Nice work if you don't mind being completely corrupt of all morals. I'm sure she just did it for "the little guy."

Whatever. Just a quick link. https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nancy-pelosi-buys-tesla-calls-191017279.html

*To be completely fair- it was her husband who bought the stock options. I'm sure he did it without talking to his wife first.
Unfortunately it is not illegal for members of Congress to trade based on their insider knowledge.  However, if you are Martha Stewart and someone tells you to dump stock with insider knowledge and you act on it, you will go to jail.

WOTR

Quote from: whoozit on February 02, 2021, 05:25:32 AM
Unfortunately it is not illegal for members of Congress to trade based on their insider knowledge.  However, if you are Martha Stewart and someone tells you to dump stock with insider knowledge and you act on it, you will go to jail.

Ah, you used to be correct. And because it happens with such regularity and so few penalties, most people think that is still the case. However, the Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge, or the STOCK Act, for short, was passed in 2012. Before this law, it was surprisingly legal for lawmakers to use such info for gain. Now it is not.

I would love to know how often it is used. I know when Republicans were briefed on Covid last year and dumped their stocks, certain Democrats wanted them charged. I'm assuming that none of those corrupt weasels will ask for Pelosi to be charged this time around.

Before you say "but the stock was purchased by her husband", the STOCK act prohibits both the lawmaker and their spouse from trading on insider information (it should extend to their entire family and circle of friends. But who are we to demand that the rich and powerful officials elected to represent our interest don't use that position to enrich their inner circle and children?)

Oh well. Laws for thee, but none for me seems to be the mantra of the day.

whoozit

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around does it make a sound?  Does this dress make me look fat?  Is an unenforced law a law?

ACE of CLUBS

Quote from: whoozit on February 02, 2021, 02:45:10 PM
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around does it make a sound?  Does this dress make me look fat?  Is an unenforced law a law?

What's your point?

WOTR

Quote from: whoozit on February 02, 2021, 05:22:40 PM
Look at the third one.
To be fair, I just about missed it as well. Good point (the third one.)  ;)

pate

Quote from: whoozit on February 02, 2021, 02:45:10 PM

Quote from: WOTR on February 03, 2021, 11:51:03 PM
To be fair, I just about missed it as well. Good point (the third one.)  ;)

Is there a corollary to that?  i.e.  Is something that is not written as Law but enforced as Law a law?

WOTR

I suppose that I should note that Janet Yellin collected 7.2 million in "speakers fees" (more accurately described as bribes for future considerations) over the last two years. Hell, Citidel alone payed her $800,000. But hey, I'm sure that is the going rate for a "feel good" speech these days. Not a bribe at all...

And while it may not be corrupt, I don't think that most of the mainstream media is reporting on the request from Whitehouse that reporters let them know in advance what questions they might be asking. It appears that they are sad that they might be asked uncomfortable questions and would like to avoid that possibility. (I get that Trump did not really do a great job with press briefings either...)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewalsh/2021/01/01/yellen-earned-72-million-in-speaking-fees-over-last-two-years/
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2021/01/28/wh_wont_say_if_janet_yellen_should_recuse_herself_after_taking_800k_in_speaking_fees_from_key_figure_in_gamestoprobinhood_scandal_hft_firm_citadel.html#!
https://news.yahoo.com/white-house-reporters-biden-team-020024623.html

whoozit

Quote from: pate on February 05, 2021, 02:03:37 AM
Is there a corollary to that?  i.e.  Is something that is not written as Law but enforced as Law a law?
Something that is enforced as a law but is not, is.  This also seems to explain most of my confusion at what is happening in the world.

whoozit

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on February 06, 2021, 07:25:12 PM
Is what?
It just is.  Or less obliquely, is is what is is and isn’t what is isn’t.

whoozit

It is sad that this is what passes for enlightenment these days. 

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: whoozit on February 06, 2021, 07:30:30 PM
It is sad that this is what passes for enlightenment these days.

Hater.

albrecht

Quote from: whoozit on February 06, 2021, 07:26:20 PM
It just is.  Or less obliquely, is is what is is and isn’t what is isn’t.
What is is. I was not alone with that woman. I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky. I might be paraphrasing a bit. But the guy was epic in Sophistry. And such. Jog to go to eat at McDonalds. I think some people still don't understand that the latter message was directed to Miss Lewenski, not  to Hillary or the American public. I think he was saying, to the intern, that he wasn't having sex with 'that women' - Hillary- so don't rat me out.

pate

Quote from: whoozit on February 06, 2021, 07:16:43 PM
Something that is enforced as a law but is not, is.  This also seems to explain most of my confusion at what is happening in the world.

https://youtu.be/3SN3lRUoRXA