• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The NEW Fr. Martin

Started by EvB, May 25, 2009, 09:12:33 PM

EvB

You know - I've NO idea why people loved Malachi Martin so. To me, he was one of the creepiest old men on the planet. And, he said things that I felt were grotesquely unfair to some groups of people. I don't mean to imply that I ever wished the man ill - I just never got why he was such a big deal, particularly to Art.

Well - they've found his replacement (joy and rapture  :PBrother Michael Dimond   Like "Martin, Dimond is "Traditional Catholic" (think Mel Gibson) he focuses more on demons than goodness (creepy) professes insider knowledge of Vatican affairs (Traditionalist Catholics have been at odds the the Holy See since Vatican II) and thinks that "aliens" are really demons.

He also is a minor celebrity, living his own Blair Witch Project (is it real, or is it Memorex?)

All that said - I'm gonna listen anyway.  Hey - I also watch horror movies and read Stephen King!

nika01

Do you think Steven King really wrote Shawshank Redemption ?

I dont. I think he sold his name. It is just too good, as compared to shit like Pet Cemetery, or the ever popular Langoliers

Re. M. Martin; the only thing I found compelling about him was his explanation of perfect possession. That is a truly creepy concept, but I have to say, I believe it is spot on. I know people like that. They arent a bad sort, in a demonic kind of way, but they sure are possessed.

EvB

I think King is a talented writer - he is also a popular writer and has put out a lot of stuff that was for sensation, pure entertainment.  He's written a number of non-supernatural - yet creepy - works.  Though many of them were short stories (Apt Pupil comes to mind) So yes, I believe he wrote Shawshank Redemption (which - BTW - was originally a short story)   Every respected writer in history has their crap - and their masterpieces.  But, that's only my opinion, and as they say - opinions are like assholes - everyone has one and most of them stink.

The "perfect possession" notion is interesting, I agree - but I can't feel sure it's attributable to the supernatural.  Then again - psychiatry is such a new science (it really is - in the scheme of things) that we can't really know.  I wonder if we ever will.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: nika01 on May 25, 2009, 09:22:14 PM
Do you think Steven King really wrote Shawshank Redemption ?
an excellent question which my subconscious has asked multiple times.

I find "Brother Diamond" to be very condescending and quite annoying. I also find him to be a very boring guest in general. I'd rather listen to an Art/Michio rerun.

nika01

Got around to hearing Mr Diamond. I could only take it for about 20 minutes.

My theory is that his mother caught him jerkin the gherkin in the bathtub and he turned to thoughtless religion to absolve his conscience.

I cant believe that anyone is stupid enough to think that Earth is the only place in the universe with intelligent life.

Noory, once again, couldn't bring himself to argue with the guy regarding any of his really narrow minded opinions.

EvB

I thought the gherkin jerkers usually became Baptists - but what do I know? 

QuoteI cant believe that anyone is stupid enough to think that Earth is the only place in the universe with intelligent life.

Oh it's MUCH worse than that - he believes that anyone who is not a follower of his (relatively tiny) denomination will "lose their soul"  I DIDN'T hear him say "burn for eternity"  -- but I think that's what he meant. 

I actually had hopes for George during the first 30-40 minutes.  And, you must have tuned out just before George did stand up to the guy - once - but then he just fell back on his same old formula - the one where he doesn't have to listen or think.

I know this is really sick of me (kinda like wanting to tie tin cans to the tail of a cat) but I kept thinking "Damn - this would be fun if it were Ian doing the interview"  But - I doubt he'd do it - AND I doubt they'd let him!  HAHA!

Quote from: nika01 on May 27, 2009, 09:13:00 PM
I cant believe that anyone is stupid enough to think that Earth is the only place in the universe with intelligent life.

Mathematically, it's arguably impossible. Of course, logic and reason fall on deaf ears when speaking to someone like Diamond. That's the problem with faith. Sure, it's great and all...I actually envy people who have it. What I don't envy, however, is the pretentious shortsightedness that comes along with it.

EvB

QuoteThat's the problem with faith. Sure, it's great and all...I actually envy people who have it. What I don't envy, however, is the pretentious shortsightedness that comes along with it.

That's not necessarily so - though I agree that people like Dimond make it seem so.  Trying to make faith conform to science is futile - if something were provable - why would you need faith? Ignoring science in the relation to faith in the broader scheme of things (and BTW - a person does not need to be religious in the traditional sense to do this) is narrow and pigheaded.

Quote from: EvB on May 28, 2009, 07:22:44 AM
That's not necessarily so - though I agree that people like Dimond make it seem so.  Trying to make faith conform to science is futile - if something were provable - why would you need faith? Ignoring science in the relation to faith in the broader scheme of things (and BTW - a person does not need to be religious in the traditional sense to do this) is narrow and pigheaded.

Well said. Fair enough.  8)

Stephen King could not have written Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption because it contained no A) small children with mystical powers, B) Pre-Columbian demons chasing them all the way to Mexico, C) extra-terrestrial insectoids in the walls of the prison, and D) terrible, forced, tacked on ending to wrap up the whole shebang.

I've read quite a bit of King, and that man can't "finish" to save his life. Everything else up to the end is gold. Then it just dies. 99%

Hm..yeah..The Gunslinger was interesting, although the ending didn't really leave me wanting to read the other books in the series.

Borr

I listen to Coast to Coast for a good laugh and I like a good story, but I have to admit this Diamond dude is the first time I've ever been offended by the show. I mean intellectually offended. The guy was a delusional numbnut that was biased against the delusions of other numbnuts.

Granted, I'm biased against Catholic talking heads due to my own life experiences, but I recoiled from this guy on a basic human level. He was just so full of cock-sure hate and ignorance. I actually felt sympathy towards GN for having to deal with this huckster.

nika01

Sympathy for George may result in a pox or toads raining in your back yard.

I do understand your sentiment, but sometimes the rip cord has to be pulled. The bullshit alarm had to be going off big time, and if GN had any balls whatsoever, be would have cut the interview short for cause. Spewing bullshit is cause.

Ian did this once, cant remember who it was, but it was a great call on his part. Too bad C2C isnt more like the Gong Show. If they have a guest that is spontaneously combusting, they should pull the plug and play on old Art Bell show.